Need help quitting coffee

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just pray and keep praying. I was addicted to snacks.

For many years I've had a problem with diabetes and the more medication I was given the worse it seemed to get. Last summer I prayed to ask God to help me stop snacking as I would eat three or four packets of crisps (chips) in one go. I read a lot and couldn't get out of the habit of snacking whilst I read.

My prayers were answered and suddenly I didn't want anything between meals and only ate when I was hungry, Then I ended up in hospital twice during the summer with stroke scares, which weren't strokes at all, and each time I learned a bit more about how my pancreas works in two 5 minutes chats to diabetic nurses. I learned more about managing my diabetes in those few minutes than I had in the previous 25 years. God is good and I believe he allowed me to go into hospital for that reason. And praise his name I don't snack any more and the diabetes is almost reversed in less than six months.
Thank God, diabetes is a terrible disease. My family has had it also. They've been OK but some people are not. God has delivered you it seems. He is good.

Reactions: Pearl and Lambano

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Junk food, socially acceptable drugs, but I also think its a lack of self discipline, emotional regulation, and it messes up our executive functioning.

I'm a millennial. Our generation is emotionally driven, not so much of a focus on logic. We are hardwired for screens. We tend to not get enough sleep, and we take also lot of pride and celebration in not really using our minds or bodies... so much that we make very important memes about it.

R.f977ac223ad742a5b3b94fbf5ee442c3

That is cute.
Everybody's situation is different. The buzzword is "complicated"
I remember working with my oldest son on his algebra homework and he told me that it made his brain hurt.
Yet he could memorize the ballistic tables for reloading ammunition.
And you are right, for young people it is about the "screens" The discipline of focusing their attention is lacking because they are conditioned to focus their attention on what they like. I am educated in Quantum science but I will get lost in my grandson's video game immediately.
So the first trick for young people seems to be find something you like to do and then make money at it.
Then for those that have issues....if they work with people to help them with their issues....it reduces the effects of their own issues.
God bless you...
Be good and do good.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Update. I cut my dose in half today and my stomach problems got worse today than usual. At first they were better. So it appears randomly hitting me.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not quite but just about! I have been stuck on infinite loops.
(Oh, the irony....stuck...on infinite loops. Only us geeks will get it, lol.)

I guess you mean how to avoid them, right?
Always have some kind of exit path for your code.
I'm not proud of it, but I've used hacks like ending the loop after, say, 30 loops if I knew there was never ever going to be any reason whatsoever for the loop to run more than 30 times regardless of the condition being tested.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Update. I cut my dose in half today and my stomach problems got worse today than usual. At first they were better. So it appears randomly hitting me.
So many things that can be wrong with the stomach...condition....disease.....parasitical......doctor?

Reactions: dev553344

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

For many years I've had a problem with diabetes and the more medication I was given the worse it seemed to get. Last summer I prayed to ask God to help me stop snacking as I would eat three or four packets of crisps (chips) in one go. I read a lot and couldn't get out of the habit of snacking whilst I read.

My prayers were answered and suddenly I didn't want anything between meals and only ate when I was hungry, Then I ended up in hospital twice during the summer with stroke scares, which weren't strokes at all, and each time I learned a bit more about how my pancreas works in two 5 minutes chats to diabetic nurses. I learned more about managing my diabetes in those few minutes than I had in the previous 25 years. God is good and I believe he allowed me to go into hospital for that reason. And praise his name I don't snack any more and the diabetes is almost reversed in less than six months.
That is wonderful!

Reactions: Pearl and dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So many things that can be wrong with the stomach...condition....disease.....parasitical......doctor?
I got checked for parasitical and the doctor diagnosed me with IBS-D. It's just I went without coffee for a few days here and there and no problems. So I thought if I reduced my caffeine level it should help. I'm at 170mg per day stretched out for 10 hours, down from 340mg.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm just learning the science behind all this but it's amazing what the change in our food in our modern society has done to our bodies. The good news is, as you have found out, it is reversible. But it is harder and takes longer to reverse the more damaged you are from modern processed foods.

Reactions: Pearl and dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a little over three 16.9 oz Mountain Dews, which I can't do every day. I'm treating myself if I do that because it will severely affect my life if I did that everyday. So, even the reduced amount of caffeine you're consuming every day is off the charts for me.
I read for coffee that the experts suggest no more than 600mg per day or it's not good and say to stay below 400mg to be healthy, ideally 200mg. I was normally ingesting 360mg per day. 170-180mg is not bad but it is week when taken over 10 hours. I'm going to increase it to a little more cause today was not a good day for me. Caffeine: How much is too much?

Perhaps we're both not taking the caffeine well, which is rare. I feel good drinking 360mg per day. But I have the stomach problems. I'm now a little confused on what to do.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a little over three 16.9 oz Mountain Dews, which I can't do every day. I'm treating myself if I do that because it will severely affect my life if I did that everyday. So, even the reduced amount of caffeine you're consuming every day is off the charts for me.
Also they say more than 2-3 cups of coffee can cause stomach problems. A cup of coffee has 95 mg. So I shouldn't be having stomach problems at 170mg. Perhaps I should switch to soda again and drink 3 per day.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK I did some more research. And more than 2-3 cups of coffee can give you stomach problems @ 95 mg that is 190mg-285mg. And that is about 3-5 cups of instant coffee made with rounded teaspoon which is heaped on. So I have a game plan. OK I feel better. Lots of research to figure this out. Whew!

So I'll try three teaspoons per day heaped on the spoon. So I was about double that normally.

It's probably important to note that starbucks cup of coffee is about 180 mg.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If that stuck you than you should definitely enjoy recursion programming.
I don't know what recursion is but I am writing it down so I can look it up on Monday.

I don't do anything on Saturdays, and Sundays are prepping for the week (which reminds me I need more hangers so I can hang my clothes up and I need to write that down, too) so Mondayyyyyy.

(Oh, the irony....stuck...on infinite loops. Only us geeks will get it, lol.)

I guess you mean how to avoid them, right?
Always have some kind of exit path for your code.
I'm not proud of it, but I've used hacks like ending the loop after, say, 30 loops if I knew there was never ever going to be any reason whatsoever for the loop to run more than 30 times regardless of the condition being tested.
You know I can't remember how it works but it is like two variables.

i=4
i=7

And then I can't remember the code but it was doing something... Lol like mixing them together somehow to do a thing. I don't remember what it was supposed to output and I can't look at it, yet but I will need to see what it was.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know what recursion is but I am writing it down so I can look it up on Monday.

I don't do anything on Saturdays, and Sundays are prepping for the week (which reminds me I need more hangers so I can hang my clothes up and I need to write that down, too) so Mondayyyyyy.

You know I can't remember how it works but it is like two variables.

i=4
i=7

And then I can't remember the code but it was doing something... Lol like mixing them together somehow to do a thing. I don't remember what it was supposed to output and I can't look at it, yet but I will need to see what it was.
Recursion is what you use when you traverse a directory structure into nested levels. Like if you want to open a directory inside a directory inside a directory to access a file. Recursion is nothing more than a programming function that calls itself and then that one calls itself and so on.

Ferris idea is good and I think what you're talking about is something like this in c#:

for (i=0; i<=30; i++)
{
do something here
}

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Recursion is what you use when you traverse a directory structure into nested levels. Like if you want to open a directory inside a directory inside a directory to access a file. Recursion is nothing more than a programming function that calls itself and then that one calls itself and so on.

Ferris idea is good and I think what you're talking about is something like this in c#:

for (i=0; i<=30; i++)
{
do something here
}
Oh! Okay I see what you're saying!

Thanks!

Yeah I think that is really close, actually

Edit: no, not close- that's right, you're right lol

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have stomach problems and have had them for over 5 years now. I have to take immodium just to travel anywhere. I've been drinking about 6 small cups of coffee a day with one teaspoon of instant coffee per cup. I started drinking them because I was forced to take sedating medications for my schizophrenia. And once I started I haven't been able to lighten up or stop. I had two times that I didn't drink coffee for an amount of time and each time my stomach problems went away, the last was this last week. I'm now sure the problems are caused from caffeine. Therefore I would like to quit and slow down first so I don't have too bad of withdrawals. Please pray for me to do this. I'm already finding it difficult. And I just started today.
Are you drinking it on an empty stomach? Have you tried buffering it by drinking it after a meal? Tried milk or cream in it as a buffer?
Coffee is incredibly healthy, it’s a shame if you have to avoid it.
Blessings and prayer to you.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I think what I'm going to try is instead of putting a full teaspoon of instant coffee in the cup, I'm going to use slightly less in each cup over time and slowly wean myself off. I tried waiting out the coffee time and it didn't work so far. So it's going to be a slow taper down in each cup. Hope that works.
i went from 2 pots a day to 2 cups a day over a few years, mostly credit krill oil and Dave's Killer Bread, for the Omega 3's. Too much too soon will give you heart palps too, but they dont hurt or anything. Best of luck to you
you can throw egg shells in with the grounds. It will make it less acidic.
i played with that for a while...baking soda is a lot easier though :)