New Matthew Translation! Your opinions? Aramaic, Greek, Latin.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

James Macbeth

May 17, 2022
College Station
m.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James, the head of the early church in Jerusalem, was actually Matthew the Evangelist's younger brother rather than the brother of the Lord? Seriously? And Matt left his "title" with young Jimmy? ("If I don't come back, you're the bishop, bro.") Wow! I didn't know the episcopal See was transferrable that way in first century Jerusalem. I bet Peter was ticked!

Mat 10:1-4
Then Jesus summoned his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to cure every disease and every sickness. These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon, also known as Peter...Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus...

Mark 6:7
He called the twelve and began to send them out two by two and gave them authority over the unclean spirits.

Mark 3:13 ...So he appointed the twelve...

Mark 2:14
And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, “Follow me.” And he rose and followed him.

Saint Jerome
Do you intend the comparatively unknown James the Less, who is called in Scripture the son of Mary, not however of Mary the mother of our Lord, to be an apostle, or not? If he is an apostle, he must be the son of Alphæus and a believer in Jesus, "For neither did his brethren believe in him."

Saint Matthew left Jerusalem after completing his Gospel. All of the Apostles left to the four concerns of the earth to preach the Gospel.
Peter went to Rome as the Prime Apostle.
James stayed as Bishop of Jerusalem.
Saint Matthew established the Orthodox Church of Ethiopia, thus Bishop.

But Matthew stayed in Jerusalem for a bit with is little brother James, thus he was Bishop of Jerusalem for a little while.

This is what I was told by an Ethiopia Priest.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saint Matthew left Jerusalem after completing his Gospel. All of the Apostles left to the four concerns of the earth to preach the Gospel.
Peter went to Rome as the Prime Apostle.
James stayed as Bishop of Jerusalem.
Saint Matthew established the Orthodox Church of Ethiopia, thus Bishop.

But Matthew stayed in Jerusalem for a bit with is little brother James, thus he was Bishop of Jerusalem for a little while..

So, Matthew was bishop in Ethiopia. I can accept that. But "Bishop of Jerusalem for a little while?" I cannot see the slightest evidence of that. Did you ask your Ethiopian priest to provide some?

James Macbeth

May 17, 2022
College Station
m.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, Matthew was bishop in Ethiopia. I can accept that. But "Bishop of Jerusalem for a little while?" I cannot see the slightest evidence of that. Did you ask your Ethiopian priest to provide some?

No, but it's probably a local regional story. There could be some truth to it. Then again I don't know much about the Ethiopian Church, he was just a visiting Priest.

James Macbeth

May 17, 2022
College Station
m.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a very noble motive Jim, in fact the only real reason to do so. If you believe like me that we are very deep into the last days, and that most people have been given the opportunity to know God and to obey the gospel of His anointed, do you not feel that an understandable version is already available?

Yes there are many good versions of the Bible. But I believe every generation should and could examine the originals. I'm not trying to do the whole Bible, just the book of Matthew. I have grown much in the faith because of it.
Thank you for you encouragement.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would love to hear your feedback, both positive & negative.
If this work is beneficial to you personally, keep at it. Since you are limiting yourself to one Gospel, that should help you in your studies. For those of us who hold to the KJB, modern versions are of little help and much harm.

Reactions: James Macbeth

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes there are many good versions of the Bible. But I believe every generation should and could examine the originals. I'm not trying to do the whole Bible, just the book of Matthew. I have grown much in the faith because of it.
Thank you for you encouragement.

I will be anxiously awaiting your rendering of Mat chap 4, especially verse 10

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you.
I will be working on it soon!
But why that verse? Do you have any good information? I would love to hear.

I want to see how you render Jesus' reply to satan Jim, in reality it is a very critical verse, one of the most important found in the Bible, correct? I would encourage you to really think about how it should be rendered, and then when you do, I will be glad to speak to you about it, or if you would like to discuss it prior to your posting it, feel free to write me in my inbox sir.