New Prime Minister?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Nigel Farage should have stayed the course. He had the right ideas. Not sure why he ran away.
That was the answer I presumed you would make……….

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If I might ask, dear Rita, why was Boris such an unpopular leader? What policies or actions did most people object to exactly?
To be honest it was an in party thing, they wanted him out, so they voted for a no confidence. With the public , I think the whole party gate didn’t help ,and the situation with Cummings. We had to stick to the rules and they just did what they wanted and had to be pushed into a corner before they would admit it. He was making the rules for everyone else and allowing others and himself to break them. So generally that simply hit some very raw nerves. It’s only the Conservative party members that have been involved in any of the decisions regarding who they have in charge.
I

Reactions: LouisWilliams

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be honest it was an in party thing, they wanted him out, so they voted for a no confidence. With the public , I think the whole party gate didn’t help ,and the situation with Cummings. We had to stick to the rules and they just did what they wanted and had to be pushed into a corner before they would admit it. He was making the rules for everyone else and allowing others and himself to break them. So generally that simply hit some very raw nerves. It’s only the Conservative party members that have been involved in any of the decisions regarding who they have in charge.
I
I hope it all works out for the people.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
He has definitely been for the rich in the past - still think we need a general election x
i would like to see that as well, but I think the Tories are grasping at straws now to keep their majority in the house and if there was to be a GE any time soon then either Sunak would remain as PM with a much depleted majority or else Starmer would become PM.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Let’s get it straight Enoch, I am not a fan of Sunak but ‘he was born here ‘ - that makes him British. I don’t particular like labour either, however the conservative have proved time and time again that they want to look after the wealthy people.
So you think it’s okay leaving a govenerment in place that is just such a mess and a laughing stock , you have little time for Boris and obviously have no time for Sunak because ‘ he is Indian ‘. So why wouldn’t the people want a general election to have a voice in the matter.
It was a conservative leader ( John Major ) that put a law through that protected the royal family from having to pay certain taxes. All completely wrong in most people eyes, there are a lot of things the royal get away with because of their status. The tide may well turn on them in the years to come.
So , as you know so much about ‘what this country needs , or should have had in the past ‘ who would you vote for……..it’s so easy knowing what a country should do, and to be opinionated but it doesn’t actually mean that the solution you think is right is available to anyone..
Still at the moment they are not calling for a general election……so I guess we all have very little choice but to see what Sunak does , or doesn’t do !
Our voting system in the UK is totally different from that in the US, Here we vote ofr our local candidate not for the PM. And then which ever party gets the most people voted in as MPs it is their leader who becomes PM. So if there was an election now it would be either Sunak or Starmer.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So our new PM is Rishi Sunak. I pray that he will lead with wisdom and integrity for the good of all, not just the rich minority. May he be led by the Holy Spirit in all his decisions and prove to the country that he is worthy to lead us.

wow…a practicing Hindu man as prime minister. That’ll be interesting. God puts rulers in their seats and removes rulers from their seats. He put even Pharoah in his seat. Will be interesting…

Reactions: Rita

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
wow…a practicing Hindu man as prime minister. That’ll be interesting. God puts rulers in their seats and removes rulers from their seats. He put even Pharoah in his seat. Will be interesting…
And God can use those who do not belong to him to facilitate His plans as he did in the OT - Nehemiah for one At least he is a man of faith even if it isn't faith in Jesus. He is not very popular among the party members though otherwise he would have beaten Liz Truss. This time though because in the end he was the only candidate in the race the party members - ordinary people who subscribe to the party - didn't get a chance to vote. I read this morning that many of them have withdrwon their membership. But who knows.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And God can use those who do not belong to him to facilitate His plans as he did in the OT - Nehemiah for one At least he is a man of faith even if it isn't faith in Jesus. He is not very popular among the party members though otherwise he would have beaten Liz Truss. This time though because in the end he was the only candidate in the race the party members - ordinary people who subscribe to the party - didn't get a chance to vote. I read this morning that many of them have withdrwon their membership. But who knows.
It all happened really quick didn’t it !?

Reactions: Pearl

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm thinking religious/spiritual beliefs are what shape cultures. What are the beliefs of Hinduism? To start with....caste system....karma......they believe essentially the poor and downtrodden are that way because they deserve to be. May the Lord have mercy on Britain and all the west and grant repentance, that we might return to His ways...for the glory of His name.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I agree..
UK voting system is interesing..
Yes, it's simpler, just one person representing one area. Any number of candidates can stand in those areas but unless they are the Raving Looney party must be nominated by the party members in those areas unless they stand as independants.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I agree..
UK voting system is interesing..
It’s annoying at times as you can have good local MPs but their party leader is not who you want to vote for , so you have to use your vote elsewhere.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It’s annoying at times as you can have good local MPs but their party leader is not who you want to vote for , so you have to use your vote elsewhere.
i think that was how Boris Johnson got in because a lot of traditional Labour voters didn't like Jeremy Corbyn.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to remember that some years ago there was a fixed term Parliament bill that was passed; not sure exactly how that works over there...

In Canada it still has the old British-origin Parliamentary system whereby a Parliament can be dissolved virtually overnight.

(Of course, politicians just looooooove wheeling and dealing behind closed doors.......)
The fixed term is four years but a Prime Minister can call an election at any time if it suits them. Teresa may did it but lost seats which diminished her majority in the house. And Boris Johnson also called an early election but this time it was a good move as life-long Labour supporters voted Tory either to get brext done or because they didn't like jeremy Corbyn's plans. And he ended up with a good majority which now Sunak has inherited. To call an election now would be to shoot himself in the foot. Of course if he doesn't get the backing or support of enough Tory MPs to get his plans voted through then he has a problem and may even yet have to call an election.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The fixed term is four years but a Prime Minister can call an election at any time if it suits them. Teresa may did it but lost seats which diminished her majority in the house. And Boris Johnson also called an early election but this time it was a good move as life-long Labour supporters voted Tory either to get brext done or because they didn't like jeremy Corbyn's plans. And he ended up with a good majority which now Sunak has inherited. To call an election now would be to shoot himself in the foot. Of course if he doesn't get the backing or support of enough Tory MPs to get his plans voted through then he has a problem and may even yet have to call an election.
Interesting....I'm out of it over here now, but interesting to catch up with such details, @Pearl...thanks.....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, it's simpler, just one person representing one area. Any number of candidates can stand in those areas but unless they are the Raving Looney party must be nominated by the party members in those areas unless they stand as independants.
@Pearl I remember that when I was over there, once years ago the Monster Raving Looney party got more votes in a by-election than the SDP......

(This proved to be the catalyst for the SDP to become defunct..... :) )