No Degree Required

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
justaname said:
Marksman,

Is the ascended Christ void of the Spirit? Is not the Trinity one God?
I am not sure of the relevance of these questions.

1 Corinthians 12:4-11 One of the ministries is teaching, or do you suggest those who have the gifts of knowledge and or wisdom should keep these to themselves? Do you not see the Church is to work together for the common good?
There is no mention of the gift of teaching in this passage.

Let me be so bold to ask, do you know everything there is about God? Do you believe there are those who might know more than you? Can you learn from these?
If I answered in the same vein as the questions were asked I could say of course I know everything about God but I will let you make the judgement as you are good at it.

One of the regular visitors to our church was Derek Prince. His teaching was highly prized because he expounded the word, not give his ideas about it so it was real meat which we could ALL learn from.

Second I have spent two years sitting at the feet of my lecturers at theological college, one of whom was a converted Jew. Why did I do that? Simple. They knew a lot more than I did.

Third, I have three university degrees as well as my theological degree. You don't get these by not listening and learning.

Fourth, I have a personal library of over 1,000 books and I usually buy about 20 a year for my leisure reading.

If it true that we can learn from others, then through the leading of the Holy Spirit these can teach without hogwash.
You will have to be more specific as "these" is such a generalisation that has no meaning.

So as to agree all things must be tested as to how it aligns with the word of God. When some teach how to think as opposed to what to think, you can be sure you are getting a good education.
Reply not a quote: A bit cryptic for me so I will give it a pass.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
marksman said:
Marksman,

Is the ascended Christ void of the Spirit? Is not the Trinity one God?
I am not sure of the relevance of these questions.

1 Corinthians 12:4-11 One of the ministries is teaching, or do you suggest those who have the gifts of knowledge and or wisdom should keep these to themselves? Do you not see the Church is to work together for the common good?
There is no mention of the gift of teaching in this passage.

Let me be so bold to ask, do you know everything there is about God? Do you believe there are those who might know more than you? Can you learn from these?
If I answered in the same vein as the questions were asked I could say of course I know everything about God but I will let you make the judgement as you are good at it.

One of the regular visitors to our church was Derek Prince. His teaching was highly prized because he expounded the word, not give his ideas about it so it was real meat which we could ALL learn from.

Second I have spent two years sitting at the feet of my lecturers at theological college, one of whom was a converted Jew. Why did I do that? Simple. They knew a lot more than I did.

Third, I have three university degrees as well as my theological degree. You don't get these by not listening and learning.

Fourth, I have a personal library of over 1,000 books and I usually buy about 20 a year for my leisure reading.

If it true that we can learn from others, then through the leading of the Holy Spirit these can teach without hogwash.
You will have to be more specific as "these" is such a generalisation that has no meaning.

So as to agree all things must be tested as to how it aligns with the word of God. When some teach how to think as opposed to what to think, you can be sure you are getting a good education.
Reply not a quote: A bit cryptic for me so I will give it a pass.

I don't care to deal with semantics with you here. But to clarify my position...

2 Timothy 1:11
11 for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle and a teacher.

Paul was appointed as a teacher. Weather or not you care to classify teaching as a gift is irrelevant. We know he was gifted with knowledge, as mysteries were revealed to him as was no other. He did not keep these revelations to himself but shared them with others, teaching them.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
justaname said:
I don't care to deal with semantics with you here.
Thankyou for admitting that you are up the creek without a paddle on this one, very obvious when you claim that explaining the original Greek is "semantics." I am sure those who are biblical linguists will be very impressed with your understanding of their expertise and speciality.

But to clarify my position...
You obviously do not realise it but your position is already clear. Grab any verse you can to try and prove your unbiblical eisegesis.

Paul was appointed as a teacher.
I know. I never said he wasn't.

Weather Whether or not you care to classify teaching as a gift is irrelevant.
Obviously your decision to ignore what I have said is also irrelevant. Check the facts. Teaching is a gift of the ascended Christ Ephesians 4:11.

We know he was gifted with knowledge, as mysteries were revealed to him as was no other. He did not keep these revelations to himself but shared them with others, teaching them.
And pray tell me, what has that got to do with whether a person needs a degree or not?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No it is not a gift of the Holy Spirit. If you read Ephesians 4:11 you will find it is a gift of the ascended Christ.

Derek Prince who was one of the finest teachers of the Word of God, second to none, gave our church a very good understanding to the above question by quoting the verse that says the Holy Spirit will lead you into all truth, so why do we need teachers?

His answer was that we do need teachers but then we need the Holy Spirit to lead us into the truth of what has been said by the teacher as we all know, a lot of what is said is pure hogwash.

Unfortunately too many churches have pushed the Holy Spirit to the sidelines so he doesn't get much of a look in, so what is being said is up for grabs as to whether it is the truth or not. Too often the maxim is if the pastor says it it must be true.
Right on, the Holy Spirit is given to all those who come to Christ so "HE" can teach us.Peter was sent to" feed teh Lords Sheep", not all are His sheep. as He said, My sheep hear My Voice, and I know them and am known by them. It si because men follow men and not the leading of teh Holy Spirit , that christianity is the mess it is, and the enemy is having a field day with all teh "c...P that is taught out there.

1Jn_2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Dont you get it.

in all His Love

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Prentis said:
The church as a whole does not generally bring shame to God's name, rather glory. But some parts, which will be rejected unless they repent, do indeed bring shame... Laodicea is a fine example of this. Not only this, but Jesus so often speaks of unprofitable servants in his parables. As Paul, Peter, and the prophets spoke of, we have come to the time of great apostasy. There is much confession of tongue in this part of the world but little truth and power.

To think that I am saying that education in and of itself is evil or prevents God's blessing is to misunderstand me. But the truth is that education without power and life from God is absolutely useless for the kingdom, it is one of the things Paul counts as dung. It makes us no more or less useful to God, it is not by cunning words but by the Spirit that the kingdom is advanced.

While education is in and of itself neutral towards the kingdom, because of the powers and principalities and the human nature which is enticed by them, it is often a reason for man to believe does not need power from on high, and he can lean on his own understanding. Because it is neutral though, it can be turned to an advantage for the one wbo fears God and is contrite of heart, as can all things.

Thus the example of Paul.

My point is that education does not bring us closer or further to God. God loves to use what is weak and despised of the world. Education is respected. Notice that Paul was educated and was a Pharisee, and this was all before his conversion. Religious education is not something we pursue once we have experienced the life and power of God in Christ Jesus, rather this very ljfe becomes our sole pursuit, and for it we count all other things as dung.

We have need that no man teach us, for the Spirit teaches us all truth. We seek an education in life and power with the Lord, which comes through experience with Him. Why seek within institutions what only God can provide? Why seek from man what only God can give?
I like the example of Paul because he was the most prolific teacher in the New Testament with an impressive depth of understanding. He was also as highly educated as a Jew could be in his day, receiving what would be equivalent today to an Ivy League education. And all this brilliance was turned to the service of Christ, much to the benefit of all Christians over 2000 years. I think that Christ's teaching on the unprofitable servant applies to the whole church and not just parts. It was laying the groundwork for the gospel of grace which teaches that people cannot earn their salvation, that even after blazing a spectacular trail of good deeds, we are still unprofitable servants saved by grace.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
receiving what would be equivalent today to an Ivy League education.

Php 3:4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Php 3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Php 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

And all that mattered was He knew Jesus. Education means nothing in the works with Christ.

Otherwise nice post.

In all His Love

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
veteran said:
Veteran: My comments in Blue

What's this about? Jer 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.(KJV)
This is written to Israel, not the church.

You're behind the times. Many patterns of the OT Church carried over into the NT Church. They're both the SAME Church anyway, the difference was how the covenants changed through Christ Jesus.

Eph 4:111 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; (KJV)
There is no indication here that only shepherds teach. In Paul instructions to Timothy and Titus about leadership in the church, pastors are not mentioned once. It does say that Elders were to be chosen from among the flock to lead and some of them would shepherd and/or teach. These passages blow the idea out the window that the leader of the church is someone brought in from outside and given a title and a salary. If you are going to do that, then there must be people who are addressed as Apostle Tom, Evangelist Bill, Prophet Mark, Teacher James and pay them all a salary and put their names on the church noticeboard outside.

No one said only some in the Church are allowed to teach. And you're fibbing about the idea of 'pastors' not being mentioned in the NT. SEE Eph.4:11 that I quoted. Since I quoted that in my previous post, you have no excuse. The Holy Spirit does the choosing, and He manifests by the gift revealing itself, just as it was in Paul's time, just as one called here can recognize others that are not.

Num 8:26 But shall minister with their brethren in the tabernacle of the congregation, to keep the charge, and shall do no service. Thus shalt thou do unto the Levites touching their charge.(KJV)
The word minister here means to attend as a menial or worshiper, it does not mean to teach

You've got a long way to go to try and prove Hebrew sharath isn't about their ministering duties to the congregation. The word for "service" there actually means labor delegated to the bondservants of that time, (i.e., slaves of the Canaanite left-overs that dwelt among Israel).

That's where the original duty came from for a minister. It can be applied many ways, but that shows about keeping the charge, serving.
It is obvious then that you do apply it any way that suits your theology when in fact it means no such thing.

I've already given proof of its meaning, the phrase "in the tabernacle of the congregation" where they were to minister is more direct proof and should be enough, even for hard-heads.

Acts 13:4-5 So they, being sent forth by the Holy Ghost, departed unto Seleucia; and from thence they sailed to Cyprus. And when they were at Salamis, they preached the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews: and they had also John to their minister.(KJV)
The word for minister here is huperetes which means an under oarsman; a subordinate; a minister, officer, servant. It does not means to teach. The word for teacher is didaskalos. So where do you get teacher from in this verse when it is obviously not there?

Same word used in "ministers of Christ" in 1 Co.4:1. Look how it's used in other NT Scripture instead of picking and choosing one phrase from a Strong's, especially when the Strong's gives other definitions you left out.

Rom 13:3-4 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. (KJV)
The word for minister here is diakonos, not didaskalos, and it means to run errands or an attendant or a waiter at a table or other menial duties. It does not mean to teach

It means 'service' right? That's the role of ministering. One can be a minister of many different things, your absolutism prevents you from understanding a simple word in the English language that was translated properly from the Greek NT.

Rom 15:25 But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints.
The word minister here is diakeno which means to be an attendant or to wait upon others, It does not mean to teach.

What happens when one 'ministers' The Gospel? Is it not teaching? Of course it is. What happens when one 'ministers' The Lord's Supper to the congregation? Is it teaching? No, of course not. But it's still the idea of ministering. But pastoring in the Church, that's different, it means to 'feed' God's Word to the congregation Biblically. Evangelizing specifically means to preach The Gospel.

I really don't know where folks are getting this mentality today that one who studies and reads is an intellectual, and that learning is some sort of sin!
I do not think that the issue was studying and reading. The issue was degrees. You don't get a degree from studying and reading. You get it from an approved course of study as an academic establishment. Between them the disciples did not have one single degree. obviously it was not necessary as they had the power of the Holy Spirit which most of the time we don't so we replace him with degrees and pat each other on the back.

You show your lack of knowledge about history and God's Word. Do you not know about Apostle Philip explaining to the Ethiopian soldier what he was reading in the Book of Isaiah? (Acts 8). The idea that all... Christ's Apostles were illiterate people is a tradition of men. Apostle Luke was a medical doctor (Col.4:14).

That's funny. You fit those in Jer.4 perfectly with that kind of baloney.
1Co 1:26 For you see your calling, brothers, that there are not many wise according to flesh, nor many powerful, not many wellborn. But God chose the foolish things of the world that the wise might be put to shame, and God chose the weak things of the world so that He might put to shame the strong things. And God chose the low-born of the world, and the despised, and the things that are not, so that He might bring to nothing the things that are, so that no flesh might glory in His presence.

So you think God's people should remain illiterate and sottish to justify some whimsical idea that they'll have more Faith for denouncing learning? You may as well say it, when you say "degrees" you really mean education absolutely!

I've met your kind before, you're like the liberal Leftist environmentalists that want to burn all the books and return the majority of people back to the primitive dark ages so you can be in charge instead. Knowledge and understanding equals Freedom from those who would put God's people in bondage, and that's what Jesus promised for staying in His Word. And because God's Holy Writ came to mankind in so many languages, that shows God wants people to READ IT.

So just what is it that you don't like about me marksman?? Do you have hatred in your heart for those who go beyond your own understanding? Do you hate authority figures and teachers? Do you hate the idea of law and order?
You have a peculiar understanding of your own importance veteran. I will tell you what was going through my mind as I responded to your nonsense.

One I enjoy posters like this as it gives me an opportunity to brush up on the truth and check the facts.

Two. How sad that there are those who are in bondage to man's religion and as a result ignore the truths of scripture.

Three. People like you are very predictable. Disagree with them and they start throwing around any scripture in an attempt to maintain their unscriptural position and if that doesn't work, start casting aspersions on the other persons character and motives.

Thanks brother. Keep posting as it will allow me to brush up on my original Greek and Hebrew.

Oh, and I am well qualified to talk about the subject as I have four degrees from theological college and university.

Firstly, you must have attended a dumbed-down version of theological college, because you can't even understand the 'minister' idea in Scripture, nor apparently in the English language.

And in my experience, theological college = man's religion. Proof of that is all the beating around the seminary traditions bush yal do while leaving out the weightier Truth of God's Word, just like what the Pharisees of old did.

So your supposed qualifications mean nothing to me.

veteran, on 13 Sept 2013 - 3:51 PM, said:
veteran said:
So there is an admonitishing in God's Word for those in Christ Jesus to study (2 Timothy 2:15) and mature in Bible learning and wisdom, and not just stay on the 'milk' like babes all the time.
Once again you have put your own spin on the meaning of scripture and ignored what it does say.

In Greek, translated into English it says as follows....

Use speed (not the drug) and make an effort and be prompt and earnest to show yourself approved by God, a toiler that is not ashamed, rightly dissecting what has been said that is truth.

To paraphrase.....

Be quick to and make the effort to be a willing hearer of the truth and put it into practice.

So what is approved by God is what you do, not what you say or what you read as it has no reference to book study whatsoever.

You're a DECEIVER. All you're doing is going to a Greek concordance to try and change Paul's meaning of 2 Tim.2:18.

Anyone can go to whatever Greek concordance they like and pick and choose definitions to make Scripture read totally different than the Message actually given. The IDEA there of Paul admonishing Timothy to rightly divide The Word is... about understanding IN God's Word.

If you really... did... have even one theological degree you would have well known... where Paul got that idea of dissecting God's Word from! It's about Isaiah 28, precept upon precept, precept upon precept, line upon line, here a little and there a little.

All you've done is REVEAL yourself here as false and a deceiver.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
hldude said:
To serve God and share the Gospel, there is no degree required, just a willingness to be used by Him.
Let me tell you about Mike who I have met. Mike was a sales rep and an evangelist. No degrees and no training. Just an anointed evangelist gifted by the risen and ascended Christ (Ephesians 4:11).

Just to show you how anointed and in touch with the Spirit he is he told me of the time he was driving by a school and a boy was hanging against the perimeter fence by the road.

God told him to stop and talk to the boy, which he did. He shared with him the good news about Jesus and this led the boy to surrender his life to Christ.

Simple, straightforward, Spirit led evangelism without a degree in sight.

Now, If God can do that with Mike, why can't he do it with everyone?
These are my responses to veteran.

You're behind the times. Many patterns of the OT Church carried over into the NT Church. They're both the SAME Church anyway, the difference was how the covenants changed through Christ Jesus.
the word church is not to be found in the Old Testament in any shape or form. It is just another figment of your imagination to defend the indefensible.

There is no indication here that only shepherds teach. In Paul instructions to Timothy and Titus about leadership in the church, pastors are not mentioned once. It does say that Elders were to be chosen from among the flock to lead and some of them would shepherd and/or teach. These passages blow the idea out the window that the leader of the church is someone brought in from outside and given a title and a salary. If you are going to do that, then there must be people who are addressed as Apostle Tom, Evangelist Bill, Prophet Mark, Teacher James and pay them all a salary and put their names on the church noticeboard outside.

No one said only some in the Church are allowed to teach. And you're fibbing about the idea of 'pastors' not being mentioned in the NT. SEE Eph.4:11 that I quoted. Since I quoted that in my previous post, you have no excuse. The Holy Spirit does the choosing, and He manifests by the gift revealing itself, just as it was in Paul's time, just as one called here can recognize others that are not.
Your anger seems to be blinding you to reality. if you read my post you will see that I said IN Timothy and Titus pastors are not mentioned once. I DID NOT SAY they were not mentioned in the NT.

In addition, I did not say that someone said only some in the church are allowed to teach.

At the same time I did not say that being a shepherd is not a calling. I said that the scripture clearly shows that shepherds are not called to lead churches in another town.

The word minister here means to attend as a menial or worshiper, it does not mean to teach

You've got a long way to go to try and prove Hebrew sharath isn't about their ministering duties to the congregation. The word for "service" there actually means labor delegated to the bondservants of that time, (i.e., slaves of the Canaanite left-overs that dwelt among Israel).
The word you raised and which I responded to was "minister." Now you are talking about the word "service" which is not in the verse. In addition, you have just agreed with me that it does not mean to teach so I do not know what your problem is.

I've already given proof of its meaning, the phrase "in the tabernacle of the congregation" where they were to minister is more direct proof and should be enough, even for hard-heads.
So vague it is laughable. That means the guy who stands at the door shaking hands with those arriving is a minister because he is in the tabernacle of the congregation.

The word for minister here is huperetes which means an under oarsman; a subordinate; a minister, officer, servant. It does not means to teach. The word for teacher is didaskalos. So where do you get teacher from in this verse when it is obviously not there?

Same word used in "ministers of Christ" in 1 Co.4:1. Look how it's used in other NT Scripture instead of picking and choosing one phrase from a Strong's, especially when the Strong's gives other definitions you left out.
The word in 1 Cor 4;1 is "huperetes" the same as the other verse and does not mean teacher. If it did it would use the word "didaskalos" which it hasn't.

The word for minister here is diakonos, not didaskalos, and it means to run errands or an attendant or a waiter at a table or other menial duties. It does not mean to teach

It means 'service' right? That's the role of ministering. One can be a minister of many different things, your absolutism prevents you from understanding a simple word in the English language that was translated properly from the Greek NT.
So you agree with me that it does not mean teaching. if it did it would use the word "didaskalos" not "diakonos." I have the impression that you like to take words and give them any meaning that suits you regardless of what they actually mean.

The word minister here is diakeno which means to be an attendant or to wait upon others, It does not mean to teach.

What happens when one 'ministers' The Gospel? Is it not teaching? Of course it is. What happens when one 'ministers' The Lord's Supper to the congregation? Is it teaching? No, of course not. But it's still the idea of ministering. But pastoring in the Church, that's different, it means to 'feed' God's Word to the congregation Biblically. Evangelizing specifically means to preach The Gospel.
Of course it is not teaching. Whatever gave you that silly idea. The word preaching means to herald as a town crier. A town crier doesn't teach. He makes announcements. As for your quaint idea about "ministering" the lord's supper, the only thing you do is hand out a bit of bread or cracker and give people a shot glass of fruit juice.

Shepherding has nothing at all to do with teaching. That is a man made invention to keep the religious institution going in their mould and that is why it is going mouldy. To be a shepherd you watch over their souls and find good pasture for them to eat the grass there.

You show your lack of knowledge about history and God's Word. Do you not know about Apostle Philip explaining to the Ethiopian soldier what he was reading in the Book of Isaiah? (Acts 8). The idea that all... Christ's Apostles were illiterate people is a tradition of men. Apostle Luke was a medical doctor (Col.4:14).
You really are clutching at straws here. So Phillip explaining what Isaiah meant indicated he had a theological degree. Strewth. Talk about pulling a long bow.

Luke did not have a theological degree. he was a trained doctor which has nothing to do with having degrees to be a shepherd.

1Co 1:26 For you see your calling, brothers, that there are not many wise according to flesh, nor many powerful, not many wellborn. But God chose the foolish things of the world that the wise might be put to shame, and God chose the weak things of the world so that He might put to shame the strong things. And God chose the low-born of the world, and the despised, and the things that are not, so that He might bring to nothing the things that are, so that no flesh might glory in His presence.

So you think God's people should remain illiterate and sottish to justify some whimsical idea that they'll have more Faith for denouncing learning? You may as well say it, when you say "degrees" you really mean education absolutely!

Whatever gave you the idea that is what I think. You will notice that the scripture says "not many wise." It does not say "not any wise." And you will notice that it says "not many powerful." It does not say "not any powerful."

God did not denounce learning. he just put in perspective which is that he does not need learned people to achieve what he wants to do. Paul put everything into perspective when he said the he counted ALL THINGS loss for the sake of knowing Christ his Lord.

If God said "not any wise" Paul would not have been saved but the verse goes on to say that God has chosen the things that are not...You can't get more nondescript than that.

I have four degrees but they are never the basis of my relationship with God and I never appeal to him on the basis I have four degrees.

I've met your kind before, you're like the liberal Leftist environmentalists that want to burn all the books and return the majority of people back to the primitive dark ages so you can be in charge instead. Knowledge and understanding equals Freedom from those who would put God's people in bondage, and that's what Jesus promised for staying in His Word. And because God's Holy Writ came to mankind in so many languages, that shows God wants people to READ IT.
Sad isn't it when your only defense is pejorative claims that have no substance.

For your information, I have a personal library of over 1,000 books so the last thing I want anyone to do is burn them. Your accusation about the primitive dark ages is childish in the extreme and suggests that you don't like being disagreed with.

And for your information, i have never said that God doesn't want people not to read his word. I would have thought that unlike you, I am sticking to what the word actually says, that it is obvious I am devoted to God's word. if you can't see that you can't see anything.

The word says that the letter kills but the Spirit gives life. You can read the bible all day long but without the revealing power of the Holy Spirit all you have done is read God's word. That in itself will never bring freedom as only the Holy Spirit can lead you into all truth. I didn't say that. The word of God does.

Firstly, you must have attended a dumbed-down version of theological college, because you can't even understand the 'minister' idea in Scripture, nor apparently in the English language.
Once again, you are indulging in childish rhetoric and pejorative accusation.

And in my experience, theological college = man's religion. Proof of that is all the beating around the seminary traditions bush yal do while leaving out the weightier Truth of God's Word, just like what the Pharisees of old did.
Perhaps you could set out your experience for us and what are the weightier truths of God's word? and I am led to believe it take a Pharisee to recognise a Pharisee.

So your supposed qualifications mean nothing to me.
Just to put your mind to rest. I am not at all interested in trying to impress you.

You're a DECEIVER. All you're doing is going to a Greek concordance to try and change Paul's meaning of 2 Tim.2:18.
Actually the verse under question was 2 Timothy 2;15 not verse 18.

As the Quote brackets do not seem to be working, I am doing it a bit differently

Veteran: Anyone can go to whatever Greek concordance they like and pick and choose definitions to make Scripture read totally different than the Message actually given. The IDEA there of Paul admonishing Timothy to rightly divide The Word is... about understanding IN God's Word.

Me: In case you had not noticed, that is what you do all the time.

Veteran: If you really... did... have even one theological degree you would have well known... where Paul got that idea of dissecting God's Word from! It's about Isaiah 28, precept upon precept, precept upon precept, line upon line, here a little and there a little.

Me: Once again a very derogatory statement. Definitely not a sign of maturity. I have not said anything about dissecting God's word. All I have done is dissect it, which you seem to be against judging by all your angst against the dissected word. The verse that comes to mind is that a double minded man is unstable in all his ways as you seem to go from A to B to Z to H to D to R to E and so on.

Veteran: All you've done is REVEAL yourself here as false and a deceiver.

Me: And all you have done is to reveal yourself as someone who is very intolerant of other people's views, devoid of any real knowledge of scripture, and your penchant to be derogatory and pejorative when you can't argue against what is being said.

Reactions: tom55

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
marksman said:
I don't care to deal with semantics with you here.
Thankyou for admitting that you are up the creek without a paddle on this one, very obvious when you claim that explaining the original Greek is "semantics." I am sure those who are biblical linguists will be very impressed with your understanding of their expertise and speciality.

But to clarify my position...
You obviously do not realise it but your position is already clear. Grab any verse you can to try and prove your unbiblical eisegesis.

Paul was appointed as a teacher.
I know. I never said he wasn't.

Weather Whether or not you care to classify teaching as a gift is irrelevant.
Obviously your decision to ignore what I have said is also irrelevant. Check the facts. Teaching is a gift of the ascended Christ Ephesians 4:11.

We know he was gifted with knowledge, as mysteries were revealed to him as was no other. He did not keep these revelations to himself but shared them with others, teaching them.
And pray tell me, what has that got to do with whether a person needs a degree or not?

Perhaps you do not quite understand semantics.

semantics |səˈmantiks|
pluralnoun [ usu. treated as sing. ]
the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning.
• the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text: such quibbling over semantics may seem petty stuff.

I am not attempting unbiblical eisegises for I see the simplicity of God. So as to not confuse over more semantics I am using the theological use of the term "simplicity". If I need to define the term please ask.

Thank you for the grammatical correction.

The simplicity of God ties in with your "ascended Christ" claim.

Certain roles in the local churches would best be served by learned individuals. Church planting positions, certain admin positions, and personally I like the idea of a pastor and or priest that is educated over those that are self taught. Case in point... the health and wealth gospel and holiness movement.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
justaname said:
Certain roles in the local churches would best be served by learned individuals. Church planting positions, certain admin positions, and personally I like the idea of a pastor and or priest that is educated over those that are self taught. Case in point... the health and wealth gospel and holiness movement.
Although I understand your conviction about this, I am not sure that you are elucidating your position very well.

Are we going to base what we do on what we consider a good idea, or what the word of God says. For me, time and time again the scriptures are clear that it is not brain power that is required but spirit power. Now I know that you can have brain power and spirit power, but brain power does not seem to be demanded in the New Testament for effective ministry.

One of the most powerful statements in this regard is....

1Co 1:25-31 because the foolish thing of God is wiser than men, and the weak thing of God is stronger than men. For you see your calling, brothers, that there are not many wise according to flesh, nor many powerful, not many wellborn. But God chose the foolish things of the world that the wise might be put to shame, and God chose the weak things of the world so that He might put to shame the strong things. And God chose the low-born of the world, and the despised, and the things that are not, so that He might bring to nothing the things that are, so that no flesh might glory in His presence. But of Him, you are in Christ Jesus, who was made to us wisdom from God, both righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that even as it has been written, "He that glories, let him glory in" the "Lord."

Now I know that it does not say "not any wise" but it does say "not many wise" so they are in the minority. The reason for this is that no flesh might glory in his presence.

Now the fact that we do place a lot of emphasis on brain power judging by adverts for pastors, we must be fleshly according to this verse. I say this as one who has four degrees but I would never present them to God as a basis for choosing me for a particular task. I covet gifting much more than brain power especially when Ephesians 4:11 makes no mention of brain power.

As far as being self taught, that is being forced on us as so much of what is being taught has no basis in scripture. Most people will defend denominations (I was told they are from God) yet the scripture condemns them.

And I do have to say that your case in point is irrelevant as there are very few who follow the pure word of God, even those who claim they do. Most people do not believe that the Bible is the word of God. Most people believe their interpretation of the bible is the word of God. That is why we have 35,000 denominations worldwide.

Until we do a lot of soul searching, the world is going to keep encroaching on our activity and life and we are going to be powerless, more so than we are now. Despite the billions being poured into church buildings, staff, brain power and degrees, only 1% of the churches in the USA are growing.

This is in contrast to the New Testament Church that changed the known world in 25 years and not a theological degree in sight.

Perhaps the first question we need to ask is "Whose church are we building. Ours or His?" bearing in mind Jesus said he would build his church (not ours) and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.

As it is obvious that the gates of hell are prevailing against the church in America, it is obvious to me that we are building "our" church, not his, otherwise the scripture is not true.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
marksman said:
Although I understand your conviction about this, I am not sure that you are elucidating your position very well.

Are we going to base what we do on what we consider a good idea, or what the word of God says. For me, time and time again the scriptures are clear that it is not brain power that is required but spirit power. Now I know that you can have brain power and spirit power, but brain power does not seem to be demanded in the New Testament for effective ministry.

One of the most powerful statements in this regard is....

1Co 1:25-31 because the foolish thing of God is wiser than men, and the weak thing of God is stronger than men. For you see your calling, brothers, that there are not many wise according to flesh, nor many powerful, not many wellborn. But God chose the foolish things of the world that the wise might be put to shame, and God chose the weak things of the world so that He might put to shame the strong things. And God chose the low-born of the world, and the despised, and the things that are not, so that He might bring to nothing the things that are, so that no flesh might glory in His presence. But of Him, you are in Christ Jesus, who was made to us wisdom from God, both righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that even as it has been written, "He that glories, let him glory in" the "Lord."

Now I know that it does not say "not any wise" but it does say "not many wise" so they are in the minority. The reason for this is that no flesh might glory in his presence.

Now the fact that we do place a lot of emphasis on brain power judging by adverts for pastors, we must be fleshly according to this verse. I say this as one who has four degrees but I would never present them to God as a basis for choosing me for a particular task. I covet gifting much more than brain power especially when Ephesians 4:11 makes no mention of brain power.

As far as being self taught, that is being forced on us as so much of what is being taught has no basis in scripture. Most people will defend denominations (I was told they are from God) yet the scripture condemns them.

And I do have to say that your case in point is irrelevant as there are very few who follow the pure word of God, even those who claim they do. Most people do not believe that the Bible is the word of God. Most people believe their interpretation of the bible is the word of God. That is why we have 35,000 denominations worldwide.

Until we do a lot of soul searching, the world is going to keep encroaching on our activity and life and we are going to be powerless, more so than we are now. Despite the billions being poured into church buildings, staff, brain power and degrees, only 1% of the churches in the USA are growing.

This is in contrast to the New Testament Church that changed the known world in 25 years and not a theological degree in sight.

Perhaps the first question we need to ask is "Whose church are we building. Ours or His?" bearing in mind Jesus said he would build his church (not ours) and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.

As it is obvious that the gates of hell are prevailing against the church in America, it is obvious to me that we are building "our" church, not his, otherwise the scripture is not true.
Sorry for the delay in response, I am extremely busy right now...

You make a case for "spiritual power" over "brain power" as to which I must agree, but as you admit it is possible to have both. Your point is moot.

Now to the case in point...

It's relevancy is apparent in your statement. "there are very few who follow the pure word of God, even those who claim they do. Most people do not believe that the Bible is the word of God. Most people believe their interpretation of the bible is the word of God. That is why we have 35,000 denominations worldwide. "

This is exactly why we need certain positions in our local churches to be filled with people learned in the pure word of God. Anyone can claim to be "spirit filled" yet be full of spirits as opposed to the Spirit. Having an education can better qualify the individual and normalize the type of theological positions held by said individuals.

As to the decline of the church in America, this subject is up for debate as to the reason why. Not really relevant to the subject.

As far as your point of "no theological degree in sight" during the emerging of the early church, I disagree with you. Saul of Tarsus was well studied under Gamaliel. This would be equal to an Ivy League degree for his day. Paul was only the most influential individual God used to spread the gospel to the Gentiles.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prentis said:
The church as a whole does not generally bring shame to God's name, rather glory. But some parts, which will be rejected unless they repent, do indeed bring shame... Laodicea is a fine example of this. Not only this, but Jesus so often speaks of unprofitable servants in his parables. As Paul, Peter, and the prophets spoke of, we have come to the time of great apostasy. There is much confession of tongue in this part of the world but little truth and power.

To think that I am saying that education in and of itself is evil or prevents God's blessing is to misunderstand me. But the truth is that education without power and life from God is absolutely useless for the kingdom, it is one of the things Paul counts as dung. It makes us no more or less useful to God, it is not by cunning words but by the Spirit that the kingdom is advanced.

While education is in and of itself neutral towards the kingdom, because of the powers and principalities and the human nature which is enticed by them, it is often a reason for man to believe does not need power from on high, and he can lean on his own understanding. Because it is neutral though, it can be turned to an advantage for the one wbo fears God and is contrite of heart, as can all things.

Thus the example of Paul.

My point is that education does not bring us closer or further to God. God loves to use what is weak and despised of the world. Education is respected. Notice that Paul was educated and was a Pharisee, and this was all before his conversion. Religious education is not something we pursue once we have experienced the life and power of God in Christ Jesus, rather this very ljfe becomes our sole pursuit, and for it we count all other things as dung.

We have need that no man teach us, for the Spirit teaches us all truth. We seek an education in life and power with the Lord, which comes through experience with Him. Why seek within institutions what only God can provide? Why seek from man what only God can give?
Perhaps you are being misunderstood. However, I think seminaries and Bible colleges are also often misunderstood. I assure you that most of these institutions are not merely academic.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Wormwood said:
Perhaps you are being misunderstood. However, I think seminaries and Bible colleges are also often misunderstood. I assure you that most of these institutions are not merely academic.
Whether merely academic or not, I am worried far more about the end result. 'It's the intention that counts' is a popular saying in French, and a common philosophy in our western world, but I do not believe it applies when we are trying to deal with the things of God.

Surely Uzziah's intentions when attempting to keep the ark from falling were nothing but good, but we are not meddling with common things, but the holiness of God. I do not judge the people who run, start, or work in such places, that is not our goal here. But we can judge by the fruit whether it be of the Lord.

Now men, with their best intentions begin seminaries, schools etc. Peter, with best intentions, wanted to build tabernalces for Jesus, Elijah and Moses, with best intentions he said he would not betray Jesus and even die with him, with best intentions he defended Jesus and cut off a Romans ear, etc. But Peter had to learn a deep lesson, your best intentions combined with your human strength are of no avail in accomplishing the will of God.

Do we see flowing from our churches, institutions, seminaries, the same things which flowed from the early church, the same life? I would protest we do not. If we search the scriptures (wink to you, Asyncritus ;) ) we find that we follow an entirely different pattern than that of the Apostles and the early church.

As a result the church suffers as the testimony of Christ is muddied, and as a result the whole world suffers.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prentis,

I think there are a number of issues with your claim that seminaries are not producing the same fruit as the "early church." First, the "early church" was fraught with problems as the church has always been. One does not have to look beyond Acts and the Epistles to see that. Annanias and Saphira were put to death by God because of their greed. Apparently there was a fellow who was sleeping with his mother-in-law and the church in Corinth thought it was pretty cool. There was incredible divisiveness in Corinth among the leadership and with regards to spiritual gifts. The church in Crete was unorderly and full of evil, lazy people. The churches in Galatia were abandoning the true Gospel for a false gospel. The church in Philippi had a couple of women who were fighting with each other. The church in Ephesus has forgotten their first love. The church in Laodicea was arrogant and puffed up.

This "early church" was far from perfect and they witnessed miracles and were taught by the Apostles themselves. Based on your rationale, we shouldn't read the teaching of the Apostles because some of the "fruit" of their leadership. A couple of points should be made: 1) The church will always have problems. This is because people are imperfect and still in need of grace. This is not a reflection of bad fruit from seminaries any more than the problems of the early church can be considered the blame of the teaching of the Apostles. 2) There will always be bad leaders. Again, this is not because they were taught poorly. Some of the leaders Paul trained personally ended up shipwrecking their faith.

Every Bible college or Seminary I have ever read about, attended or been exposed to teaches the Scriptures. Their curriculum invests students heavily in the Bible and pushes them to read it repeatedly, study it contextually, historically, linguistically and practically. Students are called to memorize large sections of Scripture and are encouraged (and sometimes required) to attend chapel services twice a week where they participate in worship and reflection on the Word. These students are often called to invest hours in community service and volunteer at local churches that are struggling. They are taken on mission trips where they feed the poor and care for the downtrodden. Those who graduate with a four year Bachelor's degree will have likely memorized multiple chapters of the NT, written dozens of extensive papers on various biblical passages. They wll have read through all the Bible and some books dozens of times while combing carefully through many biblical books chapter by chapter, verse by verse, word by word. They will have received wise insight from professors who have served in church leadership for many years who have taught them to love God's people and how to wisely handle difficult situations that can arise in the church. They will also be surrounded by other believers with whom they can develop lifelong friendships, often with others who will devote their lives to serving the church as well.

So, please help me understand what part of this do you have a problem with? Where in this curriculum do you see that which muddles the testimony of Christ or encourages people to "rely on their human strength" (which I assume means works righteousness as we are called to love the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind and strength). If someone does not embrace what they learned or cheated their way through the program, is that the fault of the institution? If a person graduates with great zeal for the Lord but then goes out to serve the church and grows cold in their faith and love over the years and fails spiritually or morally, is that the fault of the institution?

I would be very cautious in your assessments and how you determine what is "of the Lord" and what is not. You can have the best pastor in the world but that does not mean that everyone who attends that church will be a model Christian. The same is true with Bible colleges and seminaries. I think if we spent more time praying for seminary professors and pastors rather than critiquing and criticizing them, we would maybe see more of the fruit we are longing for. There are spiritual battles at work all around. We have hundreds of thousands of institutions across this dark world that divorce knowledge and truth from God and only a few that emphasize knowledge that is grounded in Christ. Let's support those that are on our side. If we are going to go after an institution, lets go after those that train our culture that they live in a "secular" world where purpose, epistemology and ontology are completely unrelated to theology. Places where issues related to God are but mere personal preferences that are entirely unrelated to anything of substance or significance....Lets attack the so-called knowledge of those institutions whose worldview is base, carnal and trains our culture that truth is a matter of perception and the aim of knowledge is to be a productive worker, acquire wealth and rule over others.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Before I answer all of this, I want to clarify that I'm speaking in general terms. I'm not speaking fo one individual, or one group, but what I see when I look at the whole of the western church.

It is true that the dedication of the leadership and their obedience is not necessarily reflected by the dedication and obedience of those who are under them. Only I do not see the leadership as themselves being examples of following and teaching the doctrine of the apostles. I see a partial obedience lived and taught by the current leadership (remember again that I speak in general terms, not of one individual).

Whereas the Apostles where examples of the full extent of the Gospel, I see leaders today as examples of a partial obedience. I see lukewarmness.

Acts 2:2 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

Whereas the early church had all things in common, we share a little bit, whereas the early church continued daily with one accord, we continue weekly (once a week often) with somewhat of one accord. This is what I mean by a partial obedience.

Now you might say 'better a little bit than none at all', but that depends on how you look at it. Jesus said I'd rather you be hot or cold. We live in an individualistic society where our houses are ours, our families are ours, our time is ours, and our life is ours. This has sadly infiltrated our Christianity.

If the leadership was, as I understand you suggest, living radical lives in whole obedience, and yet many who claimed to follow were not, I would agree that it is normal. But when the very people put in positions of leadership practice also a partial obedience, mostly in ignorance of it, then we cannot normalize it.

I would also say that our system and way of teaching and working together is not in accord with the New Testament pattern: 26 What is it then, brethren? whenever ye come together, each [of you] has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done to edification. (1 Cor. 14).

I see a system that is more prone to indoctrination than the renewing of the mind. Usually, one man teaches and the rest listen, and this is for many where the weekly coming together ends. If such is not your reality, then that's good. :) But I do see it as a widespread and prevalent disease.

Blessings!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Prentis, nice reading. In teh end of it all, all mens instituions can do, is teach you the bible, there understanding of it, only the Holy Spirirt can lead you into the truth, and only Chirst can teach you of Himself,

Its sad to say, that man hjas fallen so far from God, he doesnt know Him anymore and now is creating his own version, denomination by denomination.

In all His Love

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
From another post in this thread:

Too often the maxim is if the pastor says it it must be true.
In order to know if a pastor is teaching properly, we need to compare what the pastor says to what the Bible says. To do that, we need to know for ourselves what the Bible says. That takes study. Having a degree is a way to prove that one has studied adequately.

It is true that the original 11 Apostles and their students were considered to be unlearned men, but whenever the Holy Spirit gave them the right words to speak, those words did not contradict what is written in the Tanakh (a.k.a Old Testament).

If a man claims to get his knowledge from the Holy Spirit, then his claim has to be tested in accordance with what the Bible says. If what the man says conflicts with the Bible, then the man didn't get his knowledge from the Holy Spirit.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
justaname said:
This is exactly why we need certain positions in our local churches to be filled with people learned in the pure word of God. Anyone can claim to be "spirit filled" yet be full of spirits as opposed to the Spirit. Having an education can better qualify the individual and normalize the type of theological positions held by said individuals.
So what you are saying is that you can only be filled with the pure word of God if you are paid to be a christian?

That would rule out Derek Prince one of the greatest expositors of scripture of the last century. He had no theological degree and he was not paid by a church. He lived of his ministry by faith and let his ministry speak for itself.

In addition, most denominations have been started by those who were paid to be a Christian. The denomination they belonged to and were paid a salary by, moved on to start their own denomination becuase their current one would not agree to their "new revelation." So how pure is that?

justaname said:
As to the decline of the church in America, this subject is up for debate as to the reason why. Not really relevant to the subject.
Apparently the subject is not up for debate as there have been many surveys done as to why the church is in decline. They show amongst other things that the church is failing to be the church. People see it as another institution which they can or cannot belong to depending on their interests. The only difference to say the gardening club or the motoring club is the purpose of it.

justaname said:
As far as your point of "no theological degree in sight" during the emerging of the early church, I disagree with you. Saul of Tarsus was well studied under Gamaliel. This would be equal to an Ivy League degree for his day. Paul was only the most influential individual God used to spread the gospel to the Gentiles.
Two things. Paul was only one out of hundreds of thousands and he wasn't involved in the whole church only parts of it and there is no evidence that his letters were read by anyone other than those who they were written to.

Secondly, the scripture is very clear that the church functions on the priesthood of all believers, not the priesthood of Paul so that means everyone was involved in the life and ministry of the church. Can you tell me how many of them had a degree?

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prentis said:
Before I answer all of this, I want to clarify that I'm speaking in general terms. I'm not speaking fo one individual, or one group, but what I see when I look at the whole of the western church.

It is true that the dedication of the leadership and their obedience is not necessarily reflected by the dedication and obedience of those who are under them. Only I do not see the leadership as themselves being examples of following and teaching the doctrine of the apostles. I see a partial obedience lived and taught by the current leadership (remember again that I speak in general terms, not of one individual).

Whereas the Apostles where examples of the full extent of the Gospel, I see leaders today as examples of a partial obedience. I see lukewarmness.

Acts 2:2 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

Whereas the early church had all things in common, we share a little bit, whereas the early church continued daily with one accord, we continue weekly (once a week often) with somewhat of one accord. This is what I mean by a partial obedience.

Now you might say 'better a little bit than none at all', but that depends on how you look at it. Jesus said I'd rather you be hot or cold. We live in an individualistic society where our houses are ours, our families are ours, our time is ours, and our life is ours. This has sadly infiltrated our Christianity.

If the leadership was, as I understand you suggest, living radical lives in whole obedience, and yet many who claimed to follow were not, I would agree that it is normal. But when the very people put in positions of leadership practice also a partial obedience, mostly in ignorance of it, then we cannot normalize it.

I would also say that our system and way of teaching and working together is not in accord with the New Testament pattern: 26 What is it then, brethren? whenever ye come together, each [of you] has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done to edification. (1 Cor. 14).

I see a system that is more prone to indoctrination than the renewing of the mind. Usually, one man teaches and the rest listen, and this is for many where the weekly coming together ends. If such is not your reality, then that's good. :) But I do see it as a widespread and prevalent disease.

Blessings!
That is precisely my point. You are using blanket accusations and condemnations toward "general" institutions that I do not believe you are very familiar with. I would be cautious about such things.

In terms of the communal living of the early Christians, I think we should be cautious here. We live in a drastically different culture and time. To suggest that because they were communal and forsook their own rights to personal property does not mean that personal property is a bad thing. It simply speaks to the generosity of a people who, due to persecution were often incredibly poor and destitute. Early Christians were willing to sacrifice their wealth for others who likely may have lost family, jobs and ability to provide for themselves because of Jesus Christ. To argue that the church today is not following the NT because we don't live in communes with no personal possessions is a mistake. The beauty of NT Christianity is that it does not give us a set of rules of how things must be conducted either in the worship meeting, giving, or believers interaction with each other. Christianity has been able to impact all kinds of cultures and people groups because it is not a faith built on a particular social system but because it is based on the Gospel.

Also, while it is true that many churches have their pastors do the primary teaching during a worship service, this is certainly NOT to say that many people are not involved in using their gifts. We live in a culture of urbanization. Unlike the first century world where major cities would have around 50-100k people, we live in a world with cities in the multi millions. Also, people are able to get in their cars and travel quickly from place to place. It only makes sense that you would have much larger groups of believers gathering together in the modern world. Churches that have hundreds or thousands of believers gathering simply cannot logistically function if everyone had an opportunity to stand up front and speak. However, most of these churches utilize small groups where there are rotating leaders who meet with others in their homes, not to mention Sunday school classes, Wednesday night classes and so forth. Also, there are missions trips, service projects and so forth that are led by different people with different gifts. There is much more to almost every church I have been involved in than merely the Sunday morning teaching.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying our churches in America are right on target by any means. However, neither should we hurl generalized accusations at teaching institutions because we don't think the church looks enough like the NT. There are good reasons for that in many cases. Fortunately, Christ is not bound by any particular social system or organizational structure.