'NT Texts with regard to the 'three days and three nights' of Jesus' Last Passover'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
William F. Dankenbring
The festival of Shavuot -- or Pentecost, which means "fiftieth day" -- is the most mysterious of all God's annual holy days. It is cloaked in mystery -- and even the date of its observance is highly controversial!
Why is there more argument over this holy day than any other -- with the possible exception of Passover?
The ancient Sadducees claimed this holy day always fell on a Sunday -- counted fifty days from the weekly Sabbath falling within the seven-day festival of Unleavened Bread. The Pharisees, however, claimed it fell on the fiftieth day after the Passover holy day -- the first day of Unleavened Bread! Modern end-time remnants of God's Church get all mixed up on both how to count, and when to count from -- so most of them wind up observing this day on a Sunday every year -- the very day the Roman Catholic Church observes "Whitsunday," their Pentecost, counting fifty days from Easter Sunday! The pagan influence of such a practice should be obvious from the very bare facts!
I have written many articles showing that the Sunday-Sadducee reckoning of Pentecost cannot be right -- it is totally in error. To summarize the evidence that this is actual fact, consider the following evidence:
Proof as to the Date of Pentecost
Jesus Christ said the Sadducees were, on the whole, ignorant of the Scriptures. He admonished them, "Ye do err, not knowing the Scriptures, nor the power of God" (Matt.22:29). Should God's people then follow the Sadduccean reasoning?
Jesus further said we should not look to the Sadducees for guidance in spiritual matters -- at no time and in no place did He ever sanction or approve of the Sadducees! But, on the contrary, He plainly said of the Pharisees: "The scribes and Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: ALL THEREFORE whatsoever they bid you observe, THAT OBSERVE and do; but do not ye after their works [their hypocrisy and vain traditions]: for they say [keep the Law], and do not" (Matt.23:2-3).
Jesus plainly showed the Pharisees had authority which came down from Moses' time and authority. They were the official, sanctioned interpreters of the Law. Therefore, when it comes to God's Law, the dates of holy days, and the calendar, their rule was the official word -- except where their determinations clearly differed with and conflicted with the words of Christ Himself! This passage would clearly imply that the Pharisees are the ones we should follow when it comes to observing the date of Pentecost!
In support of this conclusion, the apostle Paul also points out that he himself was a Pharisee, and had been taught "according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers" (Acts 22:3). He had, in fact, been brought up "at the feet of Gamaliel," one of the most highly respected Pharisee "rabbans," or chief rabbis (same verse). Paul later told the church at Philippi, in all candor and honesty, that he was "an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee . . . touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless" (Phil.3:5-6).
The only question, then, is what day did the Pharisees sanction for Pentecost, or Shavuot?
The answer is very clear in all historical references. The Pharisees counted fifty days from the Passover! Therefore, the correct date for Pentecost would be fifty days from Nisan 16. During ancient times, when the months of the Hebrew year could have 29 or 30 days, therefore, Pentecost could fall on either Sivan 5, 6, or 7! Today, with the Jewish calendar now in use, it always falls on Sivan 6, and whatever day of the week Sivan 6 falls upon!
Josephus, the Jewish historian of the first century, makes this plain. He wrote in Antiquities of the Jews: "But on the second day of unleavened bread, which is the sixteenth day of the month, they first partake of the fruits of the earth, for before that day they do not touch them. And while they suppose it proper to honor God, from whom they obtain this plentiful provision, in the first place, they offer the first fruits of their barley, and that in the manner following: They take a handful of the ears, and dry them, then beat them small, and purge the barley from the bran; they then bring one tenth deal to the altar, to God: and, casting one handful of it upon the fire, they leave the rest for the use of the priest; and after this it is that they may publicly or privately reap their harvest They also at this participation of the first-fruits of the earth, sacrifice a lamb, as a burnt offering to God.
"When a week of weeks has passed over after this sacrifice, (which weeks contain forty and nine days,) on the fiftieth day, which is Pentecost . . . ." (Josephus, Ant., 3,x, 5-6).
Alfred Edersheim, in The Temple: Its Ministry and Services, declares, "The expression, 'the morrow after the Sabbath,' has sometimes been misunderstood as implying that the presentation of the so-called 'first sheaf' was to be always made on the day following the weekly Sabbath of the Passover-week. This view, adopted by the 'Boethusians,' and the Sadducees of the time of Christ . . . rests on a misinterpretation of the word 'Sabbath.' As in analogous allusions to the other feasts in the same chapter [Leviticus 23], it means not the weekly Sabbath, but the day of the festival. The testimony of Josephus, Philo, and of Jewish tradition, leaves no room to doubt that in this instance we are to understand by the 'Sabbath' the 15th of Nisan, on whatever day of the week it may fall" (p.257).
Finally, as a proof that indeed the fifty days are counted from the day after the Passover holy day, Nisan 15, we can cite the evidence from the Septuagint (LXX), which was translated from the Hebrew into Greek by leading orthodox Jewish scholars around 250 years before the time of Christ. More and more, in recent years, scholars have come to see that the Septuagint is actually based on an ancient version of the Hebrew Scriptures much in use during the time of Christ. In fact, most quotations in the New Testament are from the Septuagint! Since this translation was made long before there were any Sadducees or Pharisees in existence (those schools of religious teaching did not develop until after the time of Antiochus Epiphanes, circa 165 B.C.), its authority in this matter is of very ancient authenticity and credibility.
In the passage dealing with the offering of the wave sheaf, and the counting of the days after that till Pentecost, found in Leviticus 23, the Septuagint translates as follows: "In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month, between the evening times is the Lord's passover. And on the fifteenth day of this month is the feast of unleavened bread. And the first day shall be a holy convocation to you . . . And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying . . . When ye shall enter into the land which I give you, and reap the harvest of it, then shall ye bring a sheaf, the first-fruits of your harvest to the priest; and he shall lift up the sheaf before the Lord, to be accepted for you. On the morrow of the FIRST DAY the priest shall lift it up. . . . And ye shall number to yourselves FROM the day after the sabbath, FROM the day on which ye shall offer the sheaf of the heave-offering, SEVEN FULL WEEKS: until the morrow after the last week ye shall number FIFTY DAYS. . ." (LXX, Lev.23:5-16). The "first day" mentioned in this passage obviously refers to the first day of Unleavened Bread -- Nisan 15. The "morrow" after this day would have to be Nisan 16. Thus the "count" to Shavuot or Pentecost begins Nisan 16. Fifty days later, on the Jewish calendar, brings us to Sivan 6, and whatever day of the week that occurs upon!
So much for the "Sunday" Pentecosters! They are barking up the wrong tree. They have ignored or never looked at all this clear cut evidence which proves them wrong. Or, on the other hand, they have blinded themselves to the truth in order to maintain their own human (church) "traditions" of men! Jesus Christ says to them, "Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition? . . . But in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men" (Matt.15:3, 9).
Observing Pentecost -- a New Look
[SIZE=14pt]But Pentecost is not only observed on the wrong day, by most Messianic Jewish believers, as well as most Christian groups, [/SIZE]

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
zeke25 said:
Gerhard,

As far as Mt 28:1 is concerned (seems to me I already answered this somewhere), the only thing you have correct is "Ὀψὲ δὲ σαββάτων, τῇ ἐπιφωσκούσῃ εἰς μίαν σαββάτων".

[SIZE=16pt]KJV 1611, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]“In the end of the Sabbath as it (the end of the Sabbath) began to dawn towards the First Day of the week….”. This is a corrupt translation. The KJ translators missed it on this verse.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Literal:[/SIZE][SIZE=16pt] “In Sabbath’s fullness being-in- the mid-inclining-day-light towards the First Day of the week”, This is a corrupt translation also. The words "First Day of the week" are not there at all. They are totally made up. Go back to the Greek that has it correct. Do you see "First Day of the week" there? No, of course not, because it is not there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]It says, "at the dawning into the first of the sabbaths". This packs a whole lot more information and meaning in Mt 28:1 than "first day of the week". The problem being, neither you or the translators apparently have a clue what "first of the sabbaths" means, and even worst they don't care since they omitted it from their translation. I could tell you what it means, but then that would be a waste of my time until and unless you would like to learn something. So far, I have seen that attribute.[/SIZE]

zeke25
Re:

<<<[SIZE=21.3333339691162px]"at the dawning into the first of the sabbaths".[/SIZE]>>>

<<AT the dawning>> . . . Do you mean 'before' with <at> -- 'BEFORE the dawning'?

Yes well, the time of afternoon : "MID-afternoon", "IN THE mid-afternoon" before the dawning of the First Day" it was in fact! That's what I said, too.

But that is not <<INTO>> the First Day; that is "UNTO" = "towards" = "before the First Day" on 'Saturday' "in the very midst-inclining daylight", perfect! That in truth, is "in the fullness of Sabbath Day's time" : 'opse Sabbatohn'. What doubt can there be? There is NO doubt whatsoever.

So what are we arguing about? I am amazed . . . .

Bibliocentrist

Mar 15, 2008
Australasia
Abit more possible evidence for Zeke's crucifiction on thu 13th (which i now since agree seems right) might be that 13 is number of rebelion, and that ahaba "love" value 13 ~ ehad "one" value 13? 14th = 7x2, double rest? May be wrong but just considering any other possible evidences.
(Just for Zeke's interest, not reply needed/expected, i know he is not replying anymore to GE for not wishing negative conflict/reaction.)

zeke25

May 18, 2014
Western USA
Bibliocentrist said:
Abit more possible evidence for Zeke's crucifiction on thu 13th (which i now since agree seems right) might be that 13 is number of rebelion, and that ahaba "love" value 13 ~ ehad "one" value 13? 14th = 7x2, double rest? May be wrong but just considering any other possible evidences.
(Just for Zeke's interest, not reply needed/expected, i know he is not replying anymore to GE for not wishing negative conflict/reaction.)
Hi Bibliocentrist,

I've been distracted from this discussion and our dialogue for other reasons. Thank you for giving my writings on this subject your time and thought. I actually have lengthy and multiple teachings on this topic from most every angle that is Scripture related. Each time I found a possible conflict that might cancel my ideas on this subject, I would approach it as a detective and pray for answers. The answers have thus far always come. If they didn't I would admit to where the problem was and recant my position.

For years I would test my theories on multiple blogs, looking for objections and evidence that I was wrong. I considered every objection and researched it thoroughly. After a few years, no new or credible objections were raised. Now I mostly see the same old objections that I encountered and solved previously. But for the new antagonists, it is new to them. If they indicate a willingness to learn, I try to accommodate. If they are not interested in learning, I have many Biblical doctrines that need attention and I must be a good stewart of the time my Father has given me in this short life.

So, how is life in New Zealand? How many American dollars per year would a person need in income to live a moderate life there?

God bless,

Zeke25

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
zeke25 said:
Gerhard,

I'm not sure what all this means to you. Maybe you've been reading my stuff and you massage it a little thinking that will mask it.

Anyway my Bible doesn't have a 22nd chapter in Mark, possible you meant Mk 14:12.

And who cares with Mark, Luke, and John have "bread" added. It doesn't change the meaning of the text and my Bible has them in italics to show that "bread" is not in the Textus Receptus.

Mt. 26:17 is a different case, because the translators have caused this verse to contradict itself.

In any event, your surmise of these Scriptures is inaccurate. These Scriptures show that the Last Supper was Wednesday Abib 12 with the Passover still 2 days in the future. I could explain all of this to you as well. Let me know by addressing my other challenge about a day start and that might motivate me to explain it. Otherwise, I know that you're not here to learn, only to brag about that which you think you know so much about. And all my typing and explaining will fall on deaf ears.

zeke25

There is no difference in effect between adding the word 'bread' in Mark 14:12 and adding the word 'feast' in Matthew 26:17. Both <<change the meaning>>, not <<of the text>>, but of the 'translated' "first day" : from being the day upon which leaven was REMOVED to the first of seven days ul BREAD was "eaten" or "feasted". The former being the 14th; the latter being the 15th day of the month.