Observations about the law, the Law, God's law, Christ's law - four different things

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which is not the same as what you LIED about me saying.
Well let's see, Patrick1966 believes Satan will be saved. He denies eternal punishment. He calls most of our Bibles GARBAGE. Sounds like "doctrines of demons" to me!

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From studying scriptures.
A simple deduction.
It looks like simple translation linguistics to me.

To render the NT Greek "νόμου" as "law", does not translate well into English.
Therefore, "the" is added to make a better translation.
I don't see any spiritual significance in this.
A secular translation would be handled the same way.
Unless I am overlooking something here. Send help. - LOL

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have found it helpful to substitute the word Torah for "the Law" appropriately when interpreting key passages in Romans, Corinthians, and Galatians.
That's a great idea actually. Thanks.
I wish the Bible translators had done that.

Check this out.
"Torah" for the law and "the Torah" for the books of the Law.

Romans 3:21 Complete Jewish Bible
But now, quite apart from Torah, God’s way of making people righteous in his sight has been made clear —
although the Torah and the Prophets give their witness to it as well —

Reactions: Chadrho and Lambano

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
How did you arrive at this conclusion?
Study scriptures.
Why the nasty reply?
Inferring that I haven't studied the scriptures. ???
You have yet to provide a satisfactory answer to the question.

I disagree with your take on this, but you may know something I don't.
The information would be helpful. Or just admit that you misspoke.
I'm fine either way.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Why the nasty reply?
Inferring that I haven't studied the scriptures. ???
You have yet to provide a satisfactory answer to the question.

I disagree with your take on this, but you may know something I don't.
The information would be helpful. Or just admit that you misspoke.
I'm fine either way.

He's very proud and haughty and considers you to be swine.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorta;
In scriptures THE distinguishes a reference to something that is like no other. The tribulation will be like no other in past or ever will be.
The only one that has significant meaning above all other same utterances.
From my studies I've learned the Greek article is more flexible than that, and often times appears because the noun requires it grammatically, even if not necessary semantically. So we need to be considering the context.

Much love!

Reactions: Lambano

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More evidence that the Law (capital L) is the Books of the Law.

• Matthew 5:17
    “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

• Matthew 7:12
    So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

• Matthew 11:13
    For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John.

• Matthew 22:40
    All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

• Matthew 23:29
    “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You build tombs for the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous.

• Luke 16:16
    “The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing their way into it.

• Luke 24:44
    He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”

• John 1:45
    Philip found Nathanael and told him, “We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”

• Acts 13:15
    After the reading from the Law and the Prophets, the leaders of the synagogue sent word to them, saying, “Brothers, if you have a word of exhortation for the people, please speak.”

• Acts 24:14
    However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets,

• Acts 28:23
    They arranged to meet Paul on a certain day, and came in even larger numbers to the place where he was staying. He witnessed to them from morning till evening, explaining about the kingdom of God, and from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets he tried to persuade them about Jesus.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More evidence that the Law (capital L) is the Books of the Law.

• Matthew 5:17
    “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

• Matthew 7:12
    So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

• Matthew 11:13
    For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John.

• Matthew 22:40
    All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

• Matthew 23:29
    “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You build tombs for the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous.

• Luke 16:16
    “The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing their way into it.

• Luke 24:44
    He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”

• John 1:45
    Philip found Nathanael and told him, “We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”

• Acts 13:15
    After the reading from the Law and the Prophets, the leaders of the synagogue sent word to them, saying, “Brothers, if you have a word of exhortation for the people, please speak.”

• Acts 24:14
    However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets,

• Acts 28:23
    They arranged to meet Paul on a certain day, and came in even larger numbers to the place where he was staying. He witnessed to them from morning till evening, explaining about the kingdom of God, and from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets he tried to persuade them about Jesus.
Again . . . capitalization does not appear in the originals. All capitalization and punctuation is added by the translators.

Much love!