Old historical Bible teachers/church history

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm looking for older teachers to study. I like John Bunyan, Martin Luther, Spurgeon, Augustine, Tertullian (even if the end was weird a bit)

Or any interesting church history stories, just out of interest. For fun.

Any suggestions?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm looking for older teachers to study. I like John Bunyan, Martin Luther, Spurgeon, Augustine, Tertullian (even if the end was weird a bit)

Any suggestions?

JESUS. So old, He has no beginning,
and a BONUS:
He KNOWS ALL things;
And All He teaches is TRUTH. :)

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I didn't get to finish this last night - still working through. Paused halfway because the interpetation of "by the spirit" was entirely different from what I was taught and had me thinking and researching until 2:30 am.

But for anyone who is curious and interested in passive quick prayer vs deep seeking prayer, unanswered prayer, this was a worthwhile one.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Any suggestions?
Foxe's Book of Martyrs, and Foxe's book of English Martyrs.

Much love!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I didn't get to finish this last night - still working through. Paused halfway because the interpetation of "by the spirit" was entirely different from what I was taught and had me thinking and researching until 2:30 am.

But for anyone who is curious and interested in passive quick prayer vs deep seeking prayer, unanswered prayer, this was a worthwhile one.
There are rich lessons to be learned from the OT sanctuary service.
From M L Andreasen..."The Sanctuary Service. "
Sanctified by the Spirit
The flour used in the meal offerings was not to be offered dry; it was to be mingled with oil, or anointed with oil. (Leviticus 2:4,5) The oil is the Spirit of God. Only as a life is sanctified by the Spirit,
mixed with it, anointed with it, can it be pleasing to God. Suffering, in and of itself, may not be a blessing. It may only lead to hardness of heart, bitterness of spirit. But as God's Spirit takes possession of the soul, as the sweet spirit of the Master permeates the life, the fragrance of a dedicated life becomes pure.
As the incense offered each morning and evening in the holy place was emblematic of the righteousness of Christ which ascended with the prayers of the priest for the nation as a. sweet savor unto
God. So the incense offered in connection with each meal offering was efficacious for the individual. It was making a personal application of that which otherwise was only general. In the morning and evening sacrifice the priest prayed for the people. In the meal offering the incense was applied to the individual soul.
In the minds of the Israelites, incense and prayer were closely associated. Morning and evening, as the incense-symbolizing Christ's merits and intercession ascended in the holy place, prayers were offered throughout the nation. Not only did the incense permeate the holy and the most holy place, but its fragrance was noted far around the tabernacle. Everywhere it bespoke prayer and called men to communion with God.
Prayer is vital to Christianity. It is the breath of the soul. It is the vital element in every activity of life. It must accompany every sacrifice, make fragrant every offering. It is not only an important ingredient of Christianity, it is the very life of it. Without its vital breath, life soon ceases; and with the cessation of life, decomposition sets in, and that which should be a savor of life unto life becomes a savor of death unto death.
“Every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.” Mark 9:49. Fire purifies; salt preserves. To be salted with fire means not only purification but preservation. God wants a clean people, a people whose sins are forgiven. It is not enough to be forgiven and cleansed. The keeping power of God must be accepted. We must be kept clean. The fire is to be not a destructive fire but a cleansing one. We are to be first cleansed, then kept.
“Salted with fire” “Salted with salt”! Purified and kept pure! Wonderful provision!
The meal offering, though not the most important one, has beautiful lessons for the devout soul. All we are should be on the altar. All we have belongs to God. And God will purify and keep His own. May these lessons abide with us.

Reactions: DuckieLady

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Any suggestions?

I am not much for history maam, but I actually did enjoy going through the Proclaimers book, tracing the roots way back. It has been a while since I reviewed it, but it can be a great strengthening agent for God's people to see how they have evolved over the centuries. Here is the link if you would like to observe it for yourself:
https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/Jehovahs-Witnesses-Proclaimers-of-Gods-Kingdom/

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Foxe's Book of Martyrs, and Foxe's book of English Martyrs.

Much love!
An amazing historical account. But I couldn't read all of it. The spirit in me gets too disturbed and I just can't handle it. It's like TV historical movies that deal with slavery and abuse in the south. I just cannot stomach the depictions of hate and blind prejudice and I have to find something else to do or turn it off.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An amazing historical account. But I couldn't read all of it. The spirit in me gets too disturbed and I just can't handle it. It's like TV historical movies that deal with slavery and abuse in the south. I just cannot stomach the depictions of hate and blind prejudice and I have to find something else to do or turn it off.
I'm the same way, I can only take it in small doses. As sobering as it gets!

While in prison waiting till he be taken to the stake, Hawkes was allowed to see his friends. Several of them asked him if it would be possible for him to give them some token to show that a man could suffer the fire without despairing. Hawkes promised, “by the help of God, to show them that the most terrible torments could be endured in the glorious cause of Christ and his gospel, the comforts of which were able to lift the believing soul above all the injuries men could inflict.”

It was agreed between them that if the pains of burning were bearable, the martyr should lift up his hands toward heaven before he died as a signal to his friends.

On April 10, 1555, Thomas was led to the place of execution, where he mildly and patiently prepared himself for the fire, being fastened to the stake with a strong chain about his middle. He addressed the multitude of onlookers, including his accusers, pointing out the sin and dreadful consequences of shedding innocent blood.

After Hawkes had made a prayer, pouring out his soul unto God, the flames were kindled around him, and soon blazed with such fierceness that his speech could not be heart by the flame’s intensity. As the fire burned a long time, his skin was drawn together, and his fingers were consumed, and having not moved, the people thought him dead. Suddenly and contrary to all expectation, Thomas, mindful of the promise he had made to his friends, raised his hands still burning with flames . . .

The Stirring Death of Thomas Hawkes – Deeper Christian

Much love!

Reactions: Brakelite