On the natural state of the intellect

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The following is a short essay from a very old collection of essays by Abba Isaiah:

I do not want you to forget, brothers, that in the beginning, when Adam was created, God placed him in Paradise with healthy senses that were established according to nature. When Adam listened to the one who deceived him, all of his senses were twisted toward that which is contrary to nature, and it was then that he fell from his glory. Our Lord, however, on account of His great love, took compassion on the human race. The Word became flesh, that is to say completely human, and became in every way like us except without sin, in order that He might, through His holy body, transform that which is contrary to nature to the state that is according to nature. Having taken compassion on Adam, God returned him to Paradise, resurrecting those who followed his steps and the commandments which He gave us so that we might be able to conquer those who removed us from our glory, indicating to us holy worship and pure (spiritual) law, that we may stay in the natural state in which God created us.

The person, then, who wishes to attain this natural state removes all his carnal desires, in order that God may establish him in the state according to nature. Desire is the natural state of the intellect because without desire for God there is no love. This is why Daniel was called a man of desires, but the enemy twisted this into a shameful desire, a desire for every impurity.

Ambition, also, is the natural state of the intellect for without ambition there is no progress toward God, as it is written in the epistle, be ambitious for the higher gifts. However, our godly ambition has been turned into an ambition that is contrary to nature, so we are jealous, envious, and deceitful toward each other.

Anger, too, is the natural state of the intellect for without anger we cannot even attain purity unless we are angry toward all that which is sown in us by the enemy. Just as Finees, the son of Eleazar, became angry and slaughtered the man and woman (tropologically: evil anger and desire), and the Lord's temper against his people was shattered. Yet this anger within us was turned against our neighbor in regard to such senseless and useless matters.

Likewise, hatred is the natural state of the intellect. When Elijah discovered this, he killed the prophets of shame (shameful thoughts), and Samuel acted similarly against Agag (tropologically the Devil), the king of the Amalechites (demons), for without hatred against the enemy, no honor is bestowed on the soul. This hatred of ours has been twisted, however, into a state that is contrary to nature, so that we hate and loathe our neighbor, and this hatred chases away all the virtues.

Similarly, a sense of pride over the enemy (Devil) is the natural state of the intellect. When Job found this sense, he reproached his enemies, saying to them, 'Unworthy, mean, and good-for-nothing people, whom I would not consider as worthy as the dogs in my pastures'. Yet even this interior sense of pride over our enemies was twisted, and, instead, we were humiliated by them, taking pride against and goading each other, exalting ourselves as righteous over our neighbor. Consequently, on account of this pride, it is God who becomes our enemy.

Now these things are innate to humanity. But when Adam tasted disobedience, these were changed within him into shameful passions. Therefore, dear friends, let us endeavor and be careful to leave these things behind, achieving what our Lord Jesus Christ has shown us in His holy body; for He is holy and dwells among the holy. Let us, then, take care of ourselves, in order to please God by leading our life in the best way we can, and by taking control of all our members until they are established in the state that is according to nature, so that we may find mercy in the hour of temptation which will come over the whole universe. Let us pray, at all times, to His goodness that His help may be enjoined to our weakness and lowliness, in order to save us from our enemies, for His is the power and the help and the might to the ages of ages. Amen.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Word became flesh, that is to say completely human, and became in every way like us except without sin, in order that He might, through His holy body, transform that which is contrary to nature to the state that is according to nature.

didn’t have time to fully digest all you’ve shared here, but hopefully will come back later to read again. It helps with:
Philippians 2:19-22 But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timotheus shortly unto you, that I also may be of good comfort, when I know your state. [20] For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state. [21] For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's. [22] But ye know the proof of him, that, as a son with the father, he hath served with me in the gospel.

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
didn’t have time to fully digest all you’ve shared here, but hopefully will come back later to read again...
Thank you for stopping by. :)

It was actually your thread, "Neither give place to the devil," where you quoted Ephesians 4:26, that prompted me to post the above since it explains how to be angry in a righteous way.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now these things are innate to humanity. But when Adam tasted disobedience, these were changed within him into shameful passions. Therefore, dear friends, let us endeavor and be careful to leave these things behind, achieving what our Lord Jesus Christ has shown us in His holy body; for He is holy and dwells among the holy. Let us, then, take care of ourselves, in order to please God by leading our life in the best way we can, and by taking control of all our members until they are established in the state that is according to nature, so that we may find mercy in the hour of temptation which will come over the whole universe. Let us pray, at all times, to His goodness that His help may be enjoined to our weakness and lowliness, in order to save us from our enemies, for His is the power and the help and the might to the ages of ages. Amen.

Hi icxn!

I found it insightful. I would likely word things a bit differently, in that whereas he attributes our own goodness to our "natural state," I would tend to attribute it more to Christ within us, as opposed to operating in our own strength and ability. But he comes close to saying this with the words, "Let us pray, at all times, to His goodness that His help may be enjoined to our weakness and lowliness." I would say it more in the sense of His help replacing our weakness as we abide in Him, but the thought is very similar.

I was reminded in reading the essay of the verses in James that say: 19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: 20 For the wrath of man works not the righteousness of God. (James 1:19-20).

Good essay, regardless of differences of opinion on the theology involved.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi icxn!

I found it insightful. I would likely word things a bit differently, in that whereas he attributes our own goodness to our "natural state," I would tend to attribute it more to Christ within us, as opposed to operating in our own strength and ability...
I'm sure he understood this goodness of our "natural state" as something given to us by God (Genesis 1:31, 1 Corinthians 4:7). Is there anything really that is our own (excluding sin)? Saint John Climacus, another famous ascetic a few centuries later (and many others) had the same understanding:

It is shameful to be proud of the adornments of others, but utter madness to fancy one deserves God’s gifts. Be exalted only by such merits as you had before your birth. But what you got after your birth, as also birth itself, God gave you. Only those virtues which you have obtained without the co-operation of the mind belong to you, because your mind was given you by God. Only such victories as you have won without the co-operation of the body have been accomplished by your efforts, because the body is not yours but a work of God.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is shameful to be proud of the adornments of others, but utter madness to fancy one deserves God’s gifts. Be exalted only by such merits as you had before your birth. But what you got after your birth, as also birth itself, God gave you. Only those virtues which you have obtained without the co-operation of the mind belong to you, because your mind was given you by God. Only such victories as you have won without the co-operation of the body have been accomplished by your efforts, because the body is not yours but a work of

Hmmm... This again appears to take the position that righteousness is innate. Not sure I agree. I think innocence was present in the garden, but true righteousness is attainable only in Christ, not as innate but as something entirely separate from ourselves that can only be attained through grace.

It might seem like a minor distinction, but for me it constitutes the complete dividing asunder of soul from spirit.

But I didn't mean to be argumentative. Just commenting : )

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't see the difference. I would call that innate gift (talent?) and ability as God's Grace, His image and likeness, Christ present and working in us.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for stopping by. :)

It was actually your thread, "Neither give place to the devil," where you quoted Ephesians 4:26, that prompted me to post the above since it explains how to be angry in a righteous way.

reminds me of ‘worldly sorrow’ which works death. Or ‘Godly sorrow’ not to be repented of.

unless I’ve misunderstood, agree with Hidden. A clear distinction, again unless I’ve misunderstood, between the counsel of men and the counsel of God. Psalm 33:9-11 For he spake, and it was done(finished) ; he commanded, and it stood fast. [10] The Lord bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought: he maketh the devices of the people of none effect. [11] The counsel of the Lord standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations.

1 Corinthians 1:17-21 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. [18] For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. [19] For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. [20] Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? [21] For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Isaiah 8:10 Take counsel together, and it shall come to nought; speak the word, and it shall not stand: for God is with us.
For ...The counsel of the Lord standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations.

‘the thoughts of his heart to all generations’ Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Acts 5:38-39 And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: [39] But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unless I’ve misunderstood, agree with Hidden. A clear distinction, again unless I’ve misunderstood, between the counsel of men and the counsel of God.
To be honest, I’m not sure what the objection is. That quote (post #5) merely attributes to God (James 1:17) everything good we have or accomplish beginning from our biological birth. The only logical explanation I can give – not directly expressed in his reply – is that he ascribes to total depravity and therefore objects to the idea that we are able to do anything good (even to a small degree) before our spiritual rebirth. God’s acceptance of Cornelius’ prayer and alms (Acts of the Apostles 10:31), as well as of all the Old Testament Saints, proves otherwise.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be honest, I’m not sure what the objection is. That quote (post #5) merely attributes to God (James 1:17) everything good we have or accomplish beginning from our biological birth. The only logical explanation I can give – not directly expressed in his reply – is that he ascribes to total depravity and therefore objects to the idea that we are able to do anything good (even to a small degree) before our spiritual rebirth. God’s acceptance of Cornelius’ prayer and alms (Acts of the Apostles 10:31), as well as of all the Old Testament Saints, proves otherwise.

not sure there is an objection. “God’s acceptance of Cornelius’ prayer and alms (Acts of the Apostles 10:31), as well as of all the Old Testament Saints, proves otherwise.” Maybe so but I’m reminded of: ask anything in His Name for His Name Sake, for all promises in Him are Yea and Amen.

Acts 10:30-31 And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing, [31] And said, Cornelius, thy prayer is heard, and thine alms are had in remembrance in the sight of God.

Revelation 8:3-4 And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne. [4] And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.

Revelation 5:8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.

Reactions: farouk and icxn