Once you join a church you will be accountable...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we do not forgive others, we will not be forgiven
Yes, that's a part of the message about the kingdom - Matthew 18:23-35.

"23Because of this, the kingdom of heaven is like..."

Jesus will be checking back in with us to see what we did with this talent of knowledge.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes i think we understand each other & aren't at odds --

and just to say it clearly, for the sake of anyone later reading this and trying to follow along:

i do not categorically disagree with the interpretation that the talent-weights represent knowledge of the Kingdom of God
i believe that it is an incomplete interpretation.
while not incorrect, it is only an element of the true meaning; a subset of the whole intention and understanding.

My understanding of the parable of the talents is this Post: Mat 25:14on, the master is Jesus, who returns to heaven. His belongings, is his responsibilities now given to his anointed disciples. Their respective responsibility placed upon them was according to their ability v15. The assignment was to make disciples, which would be the increase. Two of the three carried on the work, and received the same reward, entering into the joy of their master, or in other words receiving the gift that God gives everlasting life. The third chose not to accept his responsibility, and did nothing with his responsibility. Therefore he lost out on the reward.

There are many parables given on this very topic, in fact 4 from Mat 24:45-25:46. They illustrate the fact that anointed Christians are to actively carry out the ministry until the Master returns.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My understanding of the parable of the talents is this Post: Mat 25:14on, the master is Jesus, who returns to heaven. His belongings, is his responsibilities now given to his anointed disciples. Their respective responsibility placed upon them was according to their ability v15. The assignment was to make disciples, which would be the increase. Two of the three carried on the work, and received the same reward, entering into the joy of their master, or in other words receiving the gift that God gives everlasting life. The third chose not to accept his responsibility, and did nothing with his responsibility. Therefore he lost out on the reward.

There are many parables given on this very topic, in fact 4 from Mat 24:45-25:46. They illustrate the fact that anointed Christians are to actively carry out the ministry until the Master returns.

There is an equivalence with the parables that precede it. It is given as one of a series of three together - not by accident.

The wicked and lazy servant equals the 5 foolish virgins equals the evil servants who beats the other servants.
The good and faithful servants equal the 5 wise servants equals the servants who are persecuted.
The talent weights equal the lamps & oil equal giving the Masters household their food in due season.
Burying the treasure equals having no oil equals persecuting ones fellows and eating & drinking with gluttons and drunkards

All of these are the Son coming at a day and hour the servants do not know, and that is in the context of betrothal to marriage

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is an equivalence with the parables that precede it. It is given as one of a series of three together - not by accident.

The wicked and lazy servant equals the 5 foolish virgins equals the evil servants who beats the other servants.
The good and faithful servants equal the 5 wise servants equals the servants who are persecuted.
The talent weights equal the lamps & oil equal giving the Masters household their food in due season.
Burying the treasure equals having no oil equals persecuting ones fellows and eating & drinking with gluttons and drunkards

All of these are the Son coming at a day and hour the servants do not know, and that is in the context of betrothal to marriage

Very good sir, in fact those anointed ones are referred to as the bride of Christ.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Devin,
I don't know anywhere in the N.T. that states we are to take a vow and follow church rules.
In the books of Corinthians 1 and 2 Paul does deal with a church that defellowshipped a member for having relations with his
stepmother....but then Paul told that church to take him back in so that he wouldn't be lost if he repented.

However, this is a law of God,,,not a law of any church.

I can think of when Jesus said that man shall not live by bread alone, BUT BY EVERY WORD THAT COMES OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.
Matthew 4:4
Out of the mouth of God...not out of the rules of a church.

For now, I'll say that IF the rules of the church follow the rules of God's Law (the Law of Grace) then we'll be obliged to keep them.
If they do NOT follow a Law of God, then we are not obligated.

My Catholic friends will not agree with this because if one wants to be a member of the Catholic Church they MUST agree to all the doctrine.
Of course, there is a way around this. I attend a Catholic Church, priests know my position on some doctrine (I don't believe purgatory exists) and they have no problem with it because I'm able to give them good reasons and they just accept it.

We'll see what others have to say.
Where's @Marymog when you need her?!
:)

I also would like to ask that the Catholic Church not be bunched up with what we would call a cult.
The Mormon church is not accepted as being Christian.
The Catholic Church is a Christian Church, even though we may not agree with all the doctrine.
Hi GG,

Thanks for the supportive words about the CC. I would like to address what you and @devin553344 have written:

In the OP Devin you asked once a person joins a church why you will be held accountable by God. Another way to put it is and what I think you are asking is: What in Scripture gives The Church (a church) authority over me once I join it?

Jesus said "On this rock, I will build My Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it” (Mt 16:18). Protestants argue that all of us Christians are "the church". But that doesn't make any sense. Certainly, we are members of THE Church but all of us can't be "THE" Church. If that were true then which one of the 2 billion Christians on earth is "the pillar and foundation of truth" spoken of in Scripture (1 Timothy 3:15)? Which one of the 2 billion Christians on earth are we to go to so that we can settle our differences if each 2 billion Christians are THE church Jesus established? Which one of the thousands of Churches (denominations) decides who is to be excommunicated for rejecting what THE Church decides? (Matthew 18:17)

Scripture makes it clear WE must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it. WHICH one of the 2 billion Christians teaches sound doctrine? The Apostles were taught "sound doctrine" by Jesus. The Apostles then taught that sound doctrine to other men. Those men were then to teach that same sound doctrine to other men (2 Timothy 2:2). When did that teaching of sound doctrine end? If we reject the teachings of the Apostles, then we reject Him (Luke 10:16). I believe it didn't and that the church is the pillar and foundation of that sound doctrine. The Church, which has a lot of rules that are based on Scripture, is the pillar and foundation of truth.....Just like Scripture says.

Mary

Reactions: GaryAnderson