Once you join a church you will be accountable...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believers...

5you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
9But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood... 1 Peter 2:5-9
We don't need your Catholic priesthood. As priests ourselves, we offer spiritual sacrifices to God through Jesus Christ.

nice try but that’s the royal priesthood of the faithful Christ is high priest according to Melchizedek so there must be low priests according to the same order
Christ is priest forever so His sacrifice is also eternal

Malachi 1:11
For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the Lord of hosts.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
thats works
I have to do something
Look, there is a difference between works and believing:

"5However, to the one who does not work, but believes..." Romans 4:5 (working and believing are not the same thing)

"27Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of works? No, but on that of faith." Romans 3:27 (there is no boast of work in believing)

Even if you want to define 'works' as anything you could possibly do, say, or think believing is still contrasted with and distinguished from all other things you can do, say, or think. Believing is the ONLY thing by which a man is made righteous.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, that is essential theology in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (nicknamed "Mormon").

There's no special relationship between Christ & Lucifer/Satan. Jesus Christ alone is the Son of God, perfectly obedient Son to the Father. Lucifer flat out rebelled from the Father and was cast out. You couldn't name two more different people.

Yes, to all of those. They are all essential theology.

Caveat about the "faith alone" one: being saved by faith doesn't mean you have a license to sin. Christ does say "If you love me, keep my commandments" and His disciples should at least try to do so.

Totally happy to answer :)

Well we know that BEING SAVED IS NOT A LICENSE TO SIN. By DEFAULT WE HAVE THAT LICENSE FOR OUR HUMAN NATURE CAN DO NOTHING BUT SIN.

BUT, if you truly being that you are saved by faith through grace alone in trusting in the death and physical resurrection of Jesus for all sins , past, present and future, then yes, you are a Christian. All teh rest that we disagree on is more about how fruitful you can be.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 2:29
If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness isborn of him.
See the cause and effect relationship?
Righteousness produces righteous behavior.
Catholics have that switched around.

Catholics do righteous work to be made righteous.
Protestants do righteous work BECAUSE they are righteous.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look, there is a difference between works and believing:

"5However, to the one who does not work, but believes..." Romans 4:5 (working and believing are not the same thing)

"27Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of works? No, but on that of faith." Romans 3:27 (there is no boast of work in believing)

Even if you want to define 'works' as anything you could possibly do, say, or think believing is still contrasted with and distinguished from all other things you can do, say, or think. Believing is the ONLY thing by which a man is made righteous.

1. 1 John 3:7
    Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ is high priest according to the order of Melchizedek not the royal priesthood
1 Peter 2:4-10 is talking about believers in Christ...

"4As you come to Him, the living stone, rejected by men but chosen and precious in God’s sight, 5you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6For it stands in Scripture:

“See, I lay in Zion a stone,

a chosen and precious cornerstone;

and the one who believes in Him

will never be put to shame.”a7To you who believe, then, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,

“The stone the builders rejected

has become the cornerstone,”b8and,

“A stone of stumbling

and a rock of offense.”c

They stumble because they disobey the word—and to this they were appointed.9But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, to proclaim the virtues of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light. 10Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.d

It's so plainly stated, and the context so clear. I can't believe you can't see it. Believers in Christ are the "holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." We don't need your Catholic priesthood. Believers are a priesthood that ministers directly to God through Jesus Christ.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 3:7
Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
How are you missing it?
A person lives righteously BECAUSE they are righteous (born again), not in order to become righteous.

"9Anyone born of God refuses to practice sin, because God’s seed abides in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. " 1 John 3:9

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Peter 2:4-10 is talking about believers in Christ...

"4As you come to Him, the living stone, rejected by men but chosen and precious in God’s sight, 5you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6For it stands in Scripture:

“See, I lay in Zion a stone,

a chosen and precious cornerstone;

and the one who believes in Him

will never be put to shame.”a7To you who believe, then, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,

“The stone the builders rejected

has become the cornerstone,”b8and,

“A stone of stumbling

and a rock of offense.”c

They stumble because they disobey the word—and to this they were appointed.9But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, to proclaim the virtues of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light. 10Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.d

It's so plainly stated, and the context so clear. I can't believe you can't see it. Believers in Christ are the "holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." We don't need your Catholic priesthood. Believers are a priesthood that ministers directly to God through Jesus Christ.

Yes they are is the are baptized
But the priesthood of Christ is not the royal priesthood

Heb 7:17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

a ministering order of priests
So there must be low priests of the same order

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How are you missing it?
A person lives righteously BECAUSE they are righteous (born again), not in order to become righteous.

"9Anyone born of God refuses to practice sin, because God’s seed abides in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. " 1 John 3:9

you got it backwards

acting righteous makes you righteous

Matt 5:7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

acts of mercy get you forgiven

Matt 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

you forgive first

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev 2: 19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.

Rev 2:23 .....I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Why not I know Thy faith?
Reward according to youre faith?

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heb 7:17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

a ministering order of priests
So there must be low priests of the same order
Believers are that priesthood! We minister to God through Jesus. How does that not make believers Christ's priesthood? Believers are one in spirit with Jesus.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
acting righteous makes you righteous

Matt 5:7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

acts of mercy get you forgiven

Matt 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

you forgive first
"47Therefore I tell you, because her many sins have been forgiven, she has loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little.”" Luke 7:47

See it? There's that cause and effect relationship again. She loved much BECAUSE her sins have been forgiven. Righteous work results from being made righteous through forgiveness first. You do not make yourself righteous by doing work. That is literally the works gospel that Paul warned us about.

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev 2: 19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.

Rev 2:23 .....I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Why not I know Thy faith?
Reward according to youre faith?
But it does say "I know thy...faith" - Revelation 2:19

But anyway, there is praise and reward for faithful work. No one is going to argue with that.

"21His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Enter into the joy of your master!’" Matthew 25:21

What is being argued is the reward is not being made righteous (justification).

Last edited: