Once you join a church you will be accountable...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I attended a church that did it this way. At first I thought it was a good way to do things. But now I know it is not.

If the people who vote are very mature in God and wise in the Lord and can explain hard spiritual things, it would work. But then, you wouldn’t find them there because they would be kicked out for slapping all the leaven out of the children’s hands.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wanted to start a discussion to explore where the bible says that once you join a church and take their vows you will be held accountable by God. I've noticed a few churches that say this. And I'm sure it causes Godly fear for the members not to leave:

Catholic
Mormon

Are there any others? Please let me know.

But please quote scriptural evidence to support these ideas as this is the bible study forum.

this may help. You are absolutely held accountable.
The Meaning of Membership and Church Accountability

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
this may help. You are absolutely held accountable.
The Meaning of Membership and Church Accountability
Thanks, I read thru it and it implies we should keep the commandments and so should leaders mostly but it says nothing of the vows to a church other than a baptist church vow that someone invented for their church.

it's my understanding that the only problem we might encounter is taking the sacrament unworthily. So if you feel unworthy simply don't take it:

1 Corinthians 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Thanks, I read thru it and it implies we should keep the commandments and so should leaders mostly but it says nothing of the vows to a church other than a baptist church vow that someone invented for their church
we call it “church” now but that doesnt comport with the Bible definition of Church i dont think, more like “love feasts” prolly?

Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
As we can see in the parable, people are given talents according to their ability (capability
the RCC has changed more than one of our current definitions i guess, “talents” being one of them. “Talents” is money in Bible talk, right? Point being this parable will change on you at some point, about the time iron sharpens iron turns into a bad idea i guess

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, I read thru it and it implies we should keep the commandments and so should leaders mostly but it says nothing of the vows to a church other than a baptist church vow that someone invented for their church.

it's my understanding that the only problem we might encounter is taking the sacrament unworthily. So if you feel unworthy simply don't take it:

1 Corinthians 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

so, if i understand your original question, you’re asking for scripture that says the church we join has authority over us?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Point being this parable will change on you at some point, about the time iron sharpens iron turns into a bad idea i guess

oh my gosh…
That’s exactly what happens…the parables turn on you when you start to understand them.
The whole post is…like a car wreck you can’t turn away from.
No, your post isn’t a car wreck, don’t mean that. It’s a very good post.

Reactions: bbyrd009

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so, if i understand your original question, you’re asking for scripture that says the church we join has authority over us?
Yes the Catholic and Mormon church have sort of vows that when you take them you become under God's judgment if you break them. They both claim God's authority to create these vows.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes the Catholic and Mormon church have sort of vows that when you take them you become under God's judgment if you break them. They both claim God's authority to create these vows.

im a presbyterian, and when you join our church, you do have to go up in front of the congregation, and our teaching elder will ask you 5 questions about promising different things to the church. I dont remember right off what the 5 were, but accountability was part of those 5 questions. We are under God’s judgement for everything we do. The Bible says that yes, our elders and pastors will be judged more harshly as it is part of the responsibility for holding such a position. Also, the Bible does say to honor those over you in the church.

1 thessalonians 5:12-13
Acts 6:1-4
Hebrews 13:17
2 Corinthians 11:28
James 3:1
Romans 14:4
1 timothy 5:17-22

these are a few, especially in 1 Timothy.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
im a presbyterian, and when you join our church, you do have to go up in front of the congregation, and our teaching elder will ask you 5 questions about promising different things to the church. I dont remember right off what the 5 were, but accountability was part of those 5 questions. We are under God’s judgement for everything we do. The Bible says that yes, our elders and pastors will be judged more harshly as it is part of the responsibility for holding such a position. Also, the Bible does say to honor those over you in the church.

1 thessalonians 5:12-13
Acts 6:1-4
2 Corinthians 11:28
James 3:1
Romans 14:4
1 timothy 5:17-22

these are a few, especially in 1 Timothy.
Thank you for sharing. OK I see there are differences in some churches than others.

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wanted to start a discussion to explore where the bible says that once you join a church and take their vows you will be held accountable by God. I've noticed a few churches that say this. And I'm sure it causes Godly fear for the members not to leave:

Catholic
Mormon

Are there any others? Please let me know.

But please quote scriptural evidence to support these ideas as this is the bible study forum.

It's pretty much the HALLMARK of CULTS in general. "WE'RE THE ONLY ONES WITH THE TRUTH!!! WE are God's "ONE TRUE CHURCH ON EARTH". If you don't do it OUR WAY, You'll be DAMNED!!!! The Book of Galatians (the only church group that Paul DOESN'T thank God for) had allowed the Judaisers to come in and load the church with their "Legal requirements" - and Paul openly wonders if they're even a "Christian Church body" any more.

The CHURCH is the PEOPLE who are Born Again of the Holy Spirit - not the "organizations of man". All visible "Churches" are a mixture of Born Again Christians, and religious"Tares" who don't have a clue. Any "Organization of Man" needs to have certain "Ground rules" so that anarchy doesn't reign.

I'm a member in good standing, and a material supporter of the "Assemblies of God" denomination. Before you join an AG church, there's typically a "New Members orientation", but no "vows".

The Assemblies of God "16 fundamental truths". And their "4 Core Doctrines" are all well and good, but while I'm generally in agreement to some degree with them, they don't "Define me", my personal beliefs, or my personal theology (which is non-denominational, Non systematic, Charismatic, eclectic). But we get along just fine, and I can support their Corporate agenda (as a missionary society).

Last edited:
Reactions: dev553344

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the RCC has changed more than one of our current definitions i guess, “talents” being one of them. “Talents” is money in Bible talk, right?
The talent in the Parable of the Talent is the measure of the knowledge of the kingdom that you have been given. The more you know, the more that will be expected of you.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the people who vote are very mature in God and wise in the Lord and can explain hard spiritual things, it would work.
And that is precisely the problem.
Those churches are placing their spiritual welfare in the hands of people who may or may not be equipped to make spiritual decisions for the church. The pastor and elders, by virtue of their gift and calling, are supposed to do that.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The CHURCH is the PEOPLE who are Born Again of the Holy Spirit - not the "organizations of man". All visible "Churches" are a mixture of Born Again Christians, and religious"Tares" who don't have a clue.
But the more 'radical' a church is, spiritually speaking, the fewer religious tares you'll have in the congregation to ruin things and you'll have more of a true and productive meeting of the people of God. When I got born again I only knew about the church of the world and didn't know anything about real Christians meeting together. But then I found about the real church of God where the majority of congregants actually have a born again relationship with God.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any "Organization of Man" needs to have certain "Ground rules" so that anarchy doesn't reign.
And that is where gifted pastors, elders, and deacons come in to the picture. It's a gift to know how to maintain order and control at the same time you're allowing freedom of participation. You can't just throw somebody in charge of a meeting like that. It's a gift.

Reactions: dev553344

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that is where gifted pastors, elders, and deacons come in to the picture. It's a gift to know how to maintain order and control at the same time you're allowing freedom of participation. You can't just throw somebody in charge of a meeting like that. It's a gift.
The Gift of "Governments" to be exact 1 Cor 12:28

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cleveland, TN, or Anderson, IN?

Nope. Those are smaller Wesleyan Holiness "Church of God" Pentecostal groups.

The Assemblies of God HQ is in Springfield Missouri (since 1916 when they declared their Trinitarian orientation, which led to the exit of the McAlisterites ("Oneness Pentecostals") who's largest denomination now is the UPCI (United Pentecostal Church International).

The Assemblies of God is the LARGEST Pentecostal Denomination growing from zero in 1900 to 70,000,000 worldwide with a little over 3,000,000 of us in the U.S. The AG is a "Missionary society"- placing great emphasis on world wide church planting, and Bible education with over 1000, Bible Schools, Seminaries and Colleges world wide.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

17 "Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you."

James 5:16

16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

Hi Devin,
The above verses are as close as I can see "biblically" we are to be accountable. i have been to church's that do encourage "accountability partners" and it seems there could be a lot of issues with this, or it could be good too but the church IS still way too worldly, for the most part, IMHO. and I can see egos clash :(

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Talents” is money in Bible talk, right? Point being this parable will change on you at some point, about the time iron sharpens iron turns into a bad idea i guess

well, no.

a talent is a measure of weight, about 35kg.
it's typically used to talk about how much precious metal one is describing, but it's not strictly money. it's mass. substance. soemthing weighty.

and to understand the parable in Matthew 25 we have to understand its context - the other parables He gives with it - and they aren't about $$$. they're about the kingdom of God, into which we were purchased not with $$$ but by God's own blood. silver and gold are typological in Leviticus; redemption, deity, kingship.
knowing that, in Matthew 25, what the weights are weights of isn't mentioned: so what do you suppose they are? what's the context? what are His servants offered - the righteous and the wicked? silver or gold?
and if silver or if gold - is it really about money?