Once you join a church you will be accountable...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The talent in the Parable of the Talent is the measure of the knowledge of the kingdom that you have been given. The more you know, the more that will be expected of you.

to one He gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each according to his own ability
(Matthew 25:15)​

oh? do we all have different levels of ability to know Him?
because He gave weight by measure according to measure, of ability.
knowing Him is eternal life, John 17:3. do we each have different levels of 'eternal life' ?
i have so many questions!
is your eternal life 'more eternal' than mine? vice-versa?
are there different eternal lives? or only one life?
ooh! i know that one: I AM The Life He says. singular. there is only One Life =]

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Almost.
As we can see in the parable, people are given talents according to their ability (capability). And that it's the number of talents a person is given that determines their accountability. This may seem like a meaningless distinction (accountability for talents, not capability), but it's not. Just because a person seems very capable doesn't mean God has given them a larger number of talents. Accountability is measured by what you know, not by how capable you are. This misunderstanding may well be the very reason too many people go into the ministry that, honestly, really shouldn't have.

I disagree Ferris. You started off correctly and then changed your mind in the middle of the post. So all I can say is, I personally believe that the talents represent their capability sir. Let me ask you, why did you go from thinking that to thinking it had to do with their level of knowledge?

I would imagine if you do more research on it, meditate, and think about our assignment, the meaning of the parable would become quite obvious.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally believe that the talents represent their capability sir.
The talents are not capabilities, if that’s what you mean. The talents are given to a person “each according to his own ability.” Ability to do what? Bring increase to the talent(s). And so the talents themselves are not the ability itself that a person has. The talent is what is entrusted to a person to bring increase to according to his ability to do that.

Reactions: Nancy and post

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
…why did you go from thinking that to thinking it had to do with their level of knowledge?
The number of talents received only represents ability insofar as your ability to bring increase to the talents you have been given. And so the talent is not defined as one’s ability. The talent you receive is the knowledge of the kingdom of God. The talent is not your ability to bring increase to the talents. The Master gives us the measure of the knowledge of the Kingdom of God (talents) according to our ability to bring increase to it.

Last edited:

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The talents are not capabilities, if that’s what you mean. The talents are given to a person “each according to his own ability.” Ability to do what? Bring increase to the talent(s). And so the talents themselves are not the ability itself that a person has. The talent is what is entrusted to a person to bring increase to according to his ability to do that.

why is one given to the wicked servant who accuses his Master of evil?
what's his ability?

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally believe that the talents represent their capability sir.

what is the capability of the wicked servant who curses his Lord?

isn't he this one:

Why do ye not understand My speech?
Because ye cannot hear My word.

(John 8:43)
if his ability is zero, why does the Master give him one weight?
as opposed to zero?

((see also Matthew 13:13-15, Isaiah 6:9, Mark 4:12, Ezekiel 12:2, John 10:26 etc))

to put it another way, why do the foolish virgins without oil, have lamps?

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
to one He gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each according to his own ability
(Matthew 25:15)​

oh? do we all have different levels of ability to know Him?
because He gave weight by measure according to measure, of ability.
knowing Him is eternal life, John 17:3. do we each have different levels of 'eternal life' ?
i have so many questions!
is your eternal life 'more eternal' than mine? vice-versa?
are there different eternal lives? or only one life?
ooh! i know that one: I AM The Life He says. singular. there is only One Life =]
No, the talent is not eternal life doled out in varying measure to people. The talents are the knowledge about the kingdom of God.

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
well, no.

a talent is a measure of weight, about 35kg.
it's typically used to talk about how much precious metal one is describing, but it's not strictly money. it's mass. substance. soemthing weighty.

and to understand the parable in Matthew 25 we have to understand its context - the other parables He gives with it - and they aren't about $$$. they're about the kingdom of God, into which we were purchased not with $$$ but by God's own blood. silver and gold are typological in Leviticus; redemption, deity, kingship.
knowing that, in Matthew 25, what the weights are weights of isn't mentioned: so what do you suppose they are? what's the context? what are His servants offered - the righteous and the wicked? silver or gold?
and if silver or if gold - is it really about money?
id prefer not to comment into another interp, but i would ask how far down this road you can go without essentially stating “works alone are what saves a person.”

also the context is stated as “conducting business” right

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i dont think so, ferris, but i admit it is cleverly disguised! :)
The talent in the Parable of the Talent is the same as the seed in the Parable of the Sower. The seed is "the message of the kingdom" Matthew 13:19. And Jesus says the same thing about the talent as he says about the seed:

The seed:

The knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him." Matthew 13:11-12
The talent:

"29For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. But the one who does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him." Matthew 25:29

Reactions: post

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The talent in the Parable of the Talent is the same as the seed in the Parable of the Sower. The seed is "the message of the kingdom" Matthew 13:19. And Jesus says the same thing about the talent as he says about the seed:

The seed:

The knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him." Matthew 13:11-12
The talent:

"29For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. But the one who does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him." Matthew 25:29

yes -- and Christ is the Sower, Matthew 13:37
so why does God sow good seed in bad soil? He knows good soil from bad soil; He alone knows
this is the same question as why the Master gives the wicked servant with no ability a talent.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
id prefer not to comment into another interp, but i would ask how far down this road you can go without essentially stating “works alone are what saves a person.”

also the context is stated as “conducting business” right

salvation has nothing to do with works.
salvation is in Christ alone by Christ's grace alone through faith in Christ alone, apart from works.

may i ask where are you seeing works-salvation in Matthew 25?

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, the talent is not eternal life doled out in varying measure to people. The talents are the knowledge about the kingdom of God.

but knowledge of Him is eternal life; He says so. John 17:3
His is the Kingdom.

so what are the weights?

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wanted to start a discussion to explore where the bible says that once you join a church and take their vows you will be held accountable by God. I've noticed a few churches that say this. And I'm sure it causes Godly fear for the members not to leave:

Catholic
Mormon

Are there any others? Please let me know.

But please quote scriptural evidence to support these ideas as this is the bible study forum.

be careful of the mystical manipulation of the church and its leaders when they preach this.
Read more on Mystical manipulation here: Eight Ways to Identify Religious Brainwashing: Mystical Manipulation (Part 2 of 8) | Liberty for Captives

Reactions: dev553344

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes -- and Christ is the Sower, Matthew 13:37
so why does God sow good seed in bad soil? He knows good soil from bad soil; He alone knows
this is the same question as why the Master gives the wicked servant with no ability a talent.
Because God calls all men. Why does he call the vast majority of men who he knows have hearts that will not retain and grow the word of God, and men who he knows will not do anything with the knowledge of God? I suppose so that at the resurrection no one can say, "you never told me about this!"

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because God calls all men. Why does he call the vast majority of men who he knows have hearts that will not retain and grow the word of God, and men who he knows will not do anything with the knowledge of God? I suppose so that at the resurrection no one can say, "you never told me about this!"

yes, and more

i am thinking about things like these..

do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering,
not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?

(Romans 2:4)​

consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation —
as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you

(2 Peter 3:15)​

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.
(Romans 1:18-21)​

about His mercy, about the blindness that came in part on Israel which was for good - so that the Gentiles might receive salvation - about justice, and about Job 1:7 & 2:2, where the Lord asks Satan where he has come from, knowing full well exactly where he has been, because God knows all things. about who was present when God asks these things, who heard it, for whose benefit He made Satan confess -- and the similar questions God asks in Genesis 3. not because God doesn't know what Adam & his wife have done, or where they are, or what Satan has done. how that the man and the woman are given these questions in order that they may confess their sin ((in whose hearing?)) and testify against Satan, while Satan is not given voice at all.
about how God knew the Israelites would not obey the law, proving them with manna and sabbath before even giving the law to them ((Exodus 16:4)) and afterwards Moses confirming their imminent rebellion & disobedience ((Deuteronomy 31:11)). why then was the law given? why that specific law, in that specific form?
same reasons: to lead us to Christ, to show His great kindness and mercy, so that all would be without excuse, to humble man, so that God may be both just and The Justifier of those whose trust is in Him ((Romans 3:26)), that the just should live by faith ((Habakkuk 2:4))

wow Matthew 25 is not simple ((Proverbs 1:22)) heh

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
broken up... Thus Much EASIER to read ;):
about His mercy, about the blindness that came in part on Israel which was for good - so that the Gentiles might receive salvation -

about justice, and about Job 1:7 & 2:2, where the Lord asks Satan where he has come from, knowing full well exactly where he has been, because God knows all things. about who was present when God asks these things, who heard it, for whose benefit He made Satan confess --

and the similar questions God asks in Genesis 3. not because God doesn't know what Adam & his wife have done, or where they are, or what Satan has done. how that the man and the woman are given these questions in order that they may confess their sin ((in whose hearing?)) and testify against Satan, while Satan is not given voice at all.

about how God knew the Israelites would not obey the law, proving them with manna and sabbath before even giving the law to them ((Exodus 16:4)) and afterwards Moses confirming their imminent rebellion & disobedience ((Deuteronomy 31:11)). why then was the law given? why that specific law, in that specific form?

same reasons: to lead us to Christ, to show His great kindness and mercy, so that all would be without excuse, to humble man, so that God may be both just and The Justifier of those whose trust is in Him ((Romans 3:26)), that the just should live by faith ((Habakkuk 2:4))

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes, and more

i am thinking about things like these..

do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering,
not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?

(Romans 2:4)​

consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation —
as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you

(2 Peter 3:15)​

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.
(Romans 1:18-21)​

about His mercy, about the blindness that came in part on Israel which was for good - so that the Gentiles might receive salvation - about justice, and about Job 1:7 & 2:2, where the Lord asks Satan where he has come from, knowing full well exactly where he has been, because God knows all things. about who was present when God asks these things, who heard it, for whose benefit He made Satan confess -- and the similar questions God asks in Genesis 3. not because God doesn't know what Adam & his wife have done, or where they are, or what Satan has done. how that the man and the woman are given these questions in order that they may confess their sin ((in whose hearing?)) and testify against Satan, while Satan is not given voice at all.

wow Matthew 25 is not simple ((Proverbs 1:22)) heh
Good post, but I can't agree that Matthew 25 is not simple. I mean, in light of other scripture I think it's pretty straight forward.