One Baptism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
(Ephesians 4:1-6)

'I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord,
.. beseech you
.... that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
...... With all lowliness and meekness,
........ with longsuffering,
.......... forbearing one another in love;
Endeavouring to keep

.. the unity of the Spirit
.... in the bond of peace.
There is
.. one body, and
.... one Spirit, even as ye are called in
...... one hope of your calling;
........ One Lord,
.......... one faith,
............ one baptism,
.............. One God and Father of all,
Who is above all,
.. and through all,
.... and in you all.'

Praise God!

* These instructions were given following the revelation of The Mystery, given by God to Paul, concerning the church which is His Body,' the fullness of Him that filleth all in all' (Ephesians 1:22-23): Of which Paul was made Steward.

* The One Baptism is believers baptism, which is, like the calling to which it belongs, of the Spirit: in which the flesh has no part. It bears no resemblance to the baptism of repentance of John the Baptist, or to the baptisms which followed, for it is entirely of the Spirit.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The One Baptism is believers baptism, which is, like the calling to which it belongs, of the Spirit
How can the baptism with the Holy Spirit be *believers' baptism* when those who receive the Spirit are those who are unbelievers responding to the Gospel? Believers' baptism always applies to Christian baptism AFTER the baptism with the Holy Ghost.

The one baptism mentioned in Ephesians 4 is the baptism with the Spirit, but it does not cancel believers' baptism in the least. That is the error of the Hyper Dispensationalists.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How can the baptism with the Holy Spirit be *believers' baptism* when those who receive the Spirit are those who are unbelievers responding to the Gospel? Believers' baptism always applies to Christian baptism AFTER the baptism with the Holy Ghost.

The one baptism mentioned in Ephesians 4 is the baptism with the Spirit, but it does not cancel believers' baptism in the least. That is the error of the Hyper Dispensationalists.
Hello @Enoch111,

There is One Baptism not two.

With respect, your reference to hyper-dispensationalism is of no relevance in this thread. If you want to discuss that subject then you really need to begin a new thread.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Helen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is One Baptism not two.
There is one baptism mentioned in Ephesians 4 within a certain context of oneness.

That does not in any way exclude another baptism which is a COMMANDMENT of Christ. Context is critical, and Hyper Dispensationalism is relevant since it tries to dismiss believers' baptism. Because all Christians since apostolic times have practiced Christian baptism, any group claiming that it is not necessary for a believer is borderline heretical.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There is one baptism mentioned in Ephesians 4 within a certain context of oneness.

That does not in any way exclude another baptism which is a COMMANDMENT of Christ. Context is critical, and Hyper Dispensationalism is relevant since it tries to dismiss believers' baptism. Because all Christians since apostolic times have practiced Christian baptism, any group claiming that it is not necessary for a believer is borderline heretical.
Hello @Enoch111,

I cannot respect this reply, for it sounds like a refusal to believe what is written. The context is the sevenfold unity of the Spirit that we are urged to 'keep', in which all is indeed ONE.

As for being a borderline heretic: if that is where you wish to assign me a place, then you must do so. o_O

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

<<Because all Christians {allegedly GE] since apostolic times have practiced Christian {water GE] baptism, any group claiming that it is not necessary for a believer is borderline heretical.>>

Spot on! Precise! Halleluiah! I am a heretical believer! I'm recognised a Christian at last! Much obliged, thank you....
However, you still owe me ... one thing ... that SCRIPTURE for claiming water-<<baptism which is a COMMANDMENT of Christ>>?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Brilliant!

PS,
Mind if I put this on my FBP? Of course recognising you as having said.

PS,
Cant' wait forever; putting it on in any case...

Haha! Sorry I had left the site when you asked that....only just back here now.

Nothing that I say is ‘off limits ‘ ......glad you just took it anyway...:)

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ephesians 4
4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Romans 6
3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

According to these Scriptures, there is One Baptism, and that is being baptized into Christ.

What we call "being baptized in the Holy Spirit" I believe is actually what the Bible calls being filled with the Holy Spirit, which is something that the Holy Spirit does with us at various times in our lives.

But there is no "second benefit" as some would say, meaning that we, being children of God, lack the power of God until we are baptized in the Holy Spirit.

We are baptized into Christ, the actual baptism, and we are empowered by God being reborn. We aren't waiting for something more from God, we only need believe that He has already given us everything needed for life and godliness.

Much love!

One baptism is talking about baptism in water as the original greek says to make fully wet. And note that no one in the New Testament baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They always baptized in the name of Jesus.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One baptism is talking about baptism in water as the original greek says to make fully wet. And note that no one in the New Testament baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They always baptized in the name of Jesus.
Hi marksman,

I understand baptidzo to mean "immerse", but is not limited to water, and can also mean to overwhelm.

Much love!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @marksman,

There are examples in Scripture where the word baptism is used, in which water plays no part. For it is used as a means of identifying with someone or something. For example:- Matthew 20:22-23; Act 1:5; 1 Corinthians 10:2+

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
THE disciples (11 of them) were commanded by the risen Jesus to "go and baptize", and they did as He commanded, THEM, thereby having made them apostles and none other except <humans> the apostles in their lifetime, discipled, like Phillip who <<water baptized the eunuch>> on command or actually, by DEMAND of the UNAUTHORISED and IGNORANT, ASSUMING and preposterous, better-knowing eunuch. No apostle commissioned by the risen Lord and Head of the Church, baptised this haughty servant from Africa who could not understand the Scriptures but thought himself fit to teach his teacher. Maybe he thought water could ... let me keep quiet!

Again, all disciples have been commanded in the great commission to go, teach and baptize. If the great commission was commanded only to the Apostles then who was left to go and 'make disciples'? Christianity would have died out soon after the last Apostle died.
BIBLICAL FACT that Phillip went, taught and baptized the eunuch per the great commission and that is how men today are saved by being taught and being obedient to what they are taught.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
You ADD <water> to God's written, sure, and only, words. No wonder so much trouble originated in the Church because of water baptism!
Water baptism is already in God's word, so I cannot add to what is already there. But there are those trying to invent and come up with ways to get water baptism out of God's word as in John 3:5.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
One hundred percent! Just a reminder, "Go ye therefore, and make disciples of all the nations" How? By "baptizing them" "The participle (“baptizing”) explains “the manner in which the given action [”make disciples"] was performed" ... "in the NAME"---not in water!

The word baptizo literally means an immersion, an overwhelming and it was an immersion in water is what the baptism of the great commission is as seen with Phillip water baptizing the eunuch. Men can obey the command to be water baptism. No one was ever commanded in the NT to be "spirit baptized".

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Inserting here Acts 10:47-48 simply is inopportune and tactless. With doing so you treat the foregoing EVENT OF REAL APOSTOLIC BAPTISM as of no consequence or Gospel authenticity, "44 WHILE Peter YET SPAKE THESE WORDS, THE HOLY SPIRIT fell on all them which HEARD THE WORD .. because was POURED OUT THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST" even the REBIRTH unto eternal Life "46 WHEREFORE Peter exclaimed: 47 NO WATER NOR ANY MAN can prevent that these which received the Holy Ghost ARE (not) BAPTISED", thus identifying the Gift or Pouring Out of the Holy Ghost with apostolic baptism commissioned by the risen Lord Jesus WHILE IN GALILEE (v37) when He showed Himself to the apostles after "the third day He rose from the dead" -- a DIRECT reference to the 'great commission' given the eleven apostles in Matthew 28 and Mark 16.

Only begging the question. Which was first, the fowl or the egg?

All the saved are saved by the Christ Jesus of the “Message of Joy” the Gospel, as Paul said, through grace by faith by having HEARD the Word of God He “gave the right to proclaim” – “commissioned” the apostles exclusively WHOSE message the Church – us – have been supposed to (again) tell to the whole world BUT ARE NOT GIVEN THE RIGHT TO CLAIM AS OURS.

--Romans 1:16 the salvation of the gospel was to first go to the Jew, then to the Gentile.

--in Acts 10 we have the saving gospel going to the Gentile and we have the first Gentile converts. Acts 11:15 Peter said Jew and Gentiles are saved in a like manner way and the like manner way Jews and Gentiles are saved is by water baptism in the name of the Lord for remission of sins Jews in Acts 2:38 and Gentiles in Acts 10:47-48.

---Acts 10:47-48 "Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days."
Since God has chosen water baptism as the means by which He saves, then "any man" that tired to stop the Gentiles from being water baptized would have been attempting to thwart God's will in salvation going to the Gentiles. The simple fact they were commanded to be baptized makes water baptism essential if for no other reason.

--We have Peter here, as Phillip in Acts 8, carrying out the great commission in going, teaching and WATER baptizing. In both cases we have water baptizing taking place and you can deny the facts all you care to but the facts remain.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Ephesians 4:1-6)

'I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord,
.. beseech you
.... that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
...... With all lowliness and meekness,
........ with longsuffering,
.......... forbearing one another in love;
Endeavouring to keep

.. the unity of the Spirit
.... in the bond of peace.
There is
.. one body, and
.... one Spirit, even as ye are called in
...... one hope of your calling;
........ One Lord,
.......... one faith,
............ one baptism,
.............. One God and Father of all,
Who is above all,
.. and through all,
.... and in you all.'

Praise God!

* These instructions were given following the revelation of The Mystery, given by God to Paul, concerning the church which is His Body,' the fullness of Him that filleth all in all' (Ephesians 1:22-23): Of which Paul was made Steward.

* The One Baptism is believers baptism, which is, like the calling to which it belongs, of the Spirit: in which the flesh has no part. It bears no resemblance to the baptism of repentance of John the Baptist, or to the baptisms which followed, for it is entirely of the Spirit.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris
GINOLJC, charity you're on point. I been trying to stay out of this conversation, (being occupied by another topic), but now catching up on some of the post. well finally someone is hitting the target, I commend you. in earlier post someone posted many baptism.

but if we look at a dead give away then we can understand the topic clearly. THE EXAMPLE, and then the STANDARD.

THE EXAMPLE to understand.
John 3:5 "Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God".
John 3:6 "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit".
#1. "be born of water and of the Spirit" this is NOT two different baptism, only ONE Baptism. let's explain it. born of Water is born of the Spirit. because the water is the word of God the Spirit that gives birth to the believer. scripture, Scripture, 1Cor 4:15 "For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel". well what is the Gospel called? water, scripture,
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word.

see, our Lord clearly distinguish the two Birth. Birth of Flesh vs Birth of Spirit/water, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit", there you have it, two different "BIRTH". so one have a Natural birth, and a spiritual Birth. so the water here is not speaking of a mother water in her womb, nor of Water baptism, but the Spiritual birth, as said the "Water" is the Spirit, the Gospel that many thirst for. for it is the Gospel, the word, the everlasting well of Water that spring up in you.

let be sure that being born of Water is the same as being born of Spirit.

Now, THE STANDARD to Follow. Matt 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
one poster listed, this as two different baptism, no it's one in the same, as with born of water and Spirit. notice the conjuction "and" between Holy Ghost and Fire. and indicate the same thing, before it and after. the Holy Ghost is God who is a consuming "Fire". and his words the Gospel is a fire, scripture, Jer 5:14 "Wherefore thus saith the LORD God of hosts, Because ye speak this word, behold, I will make my words in thy mouth fire, and this people wood, and it shall devour them". the words of God is a fire. let' see the Holy Ghost and the FIRE. Acts 2:3 "And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them". Acts 2:4 "And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance". notice the "with" here as with John saying that "WITH" the Holy Ghosy and "WITH" Fire. there it is, the Manifestation of God, the Holy Spirit as Fire, why use the symbolism "FIRE?". because Fire spreads, as with God who is everywhere. he is in many believers at one time. and these men spake the words of God, the "GOOD" news the Gospel to the people. this one of the many Gift of the Gospel.

so the baptism of the believer is one Baptism. and the Baptism of the hearer is another. for John's baptism, (water), was unto "REPENTANCE". once repented, one dies, hence the water baptism, (that's whay the Lord said, that which is flesh is flesh, and that which is spirit is Spirit. now from death to life a new BIRTH takes place, which is "of" the Spirit. other words, the baptism "of" the Spirit. when one is empowered, it is called the Baptism "with" the Spirit. the baptism "of" the Spirit, Christ places one in his body. the Baptism "with" the Spirit, Christ enables one to do a task or work. but it's the same Spirit that Baptize. "One" Baptism, but many "manifestation" of the same one baptism.

so knowing this, there is one Baptism, of the body of believers, because the Baptizer is the same one person who dose the baptizing.
EXAMPLE:
1Cor 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
1Cor 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
1Cor 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
1Cor 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Cor 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

well unregenerated people don't speak in tongues, nor give prophecy, or preach and pastor, nor do miracles that are of God.

Hope this helped.

PICJAG.

Last edited:

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello @marksman,

There are examples in Scripture where the word baptism is used, in which water plays no part. For it is used as a means of identifying with someone or something. For example:- Matthew 20:22-23; Acts 1:5; 1 Corinthians 10:2+

In Christ Jesus
Chris

The Matthew reference has the same Greek word which means fully wet.

The Acts verse again means fully wet.

THe corinthian verse has nothing at all to do with New Testament baptism.