Original Sin (or sin nature) in the Bible:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Original Sin
(Adam’s sin or the sin nature
passed down upon mankind)

in the Bible:

Genesis 8:21 - Then the Lord said in His heart, "I will never again curse the ground for man's sake, although the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; nor will I again destroy every living thing as I have done.

Job 15:14-16 - What is man, that he could be pure? And he who is born of a woman, that he could be righteous? If God puts not trust in His saints, and the heavens are not pure in His sight, how much less man, who is abominable and filthy, who drinks iniquity like water!

Psalms 14:1-3 - The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none who does good. The Lord looks down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there are any who understand who seek God. They have all turned aside, they have together become corrupt; there is none who does good, no, not one.

Psalms 51:5 - Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me.

Psalms 58:1-5 - Do you indeed speak righteousness, you silent ones? Do you judge uprightly, you sons of men? No, in heart you work wickedness; you weigh out the violence of your hands in the earth. The wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray as soon as they are born, speaking lies.

Jeremiah 17:9 - The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?

Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as
through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned– 13 (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.
Ephesians 2:1 “And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, 3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.”

1 Corinthians 15:22
“For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.”

Hebrews 7:9
“And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.”

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I view Original Sin as either:

(a) sin or
(b) the sin nature

Which was passed from Adam unto His descendants.

Granted, I do lean more towards a sin nature being passed down, but I believe in both possibilities (in regards to Original Sin).

Anyways, in this following write up, I will speak from the perspective that sin was passed down from Adam unto all mankind (Except Jesus).

I think there is a difference between Original Sin vs. breaking certain commands of God with consequences that can run into the various generations of one's offspring (For example: If one is a drunk, they can potentially spread the curse of their addiction to their offspring). For the breaking of God's moral commands (like murder, theft, idolatry, etc.) is a far cry from the difference of Adam's one time sin separating the human race from God with them being inclined to sin and with their bodies stained by the sin of Adam.

For in Original Sin: The Bible says sin (or transgression of the Law) from Adam passed down upon all men so that all have sinned. Men are born into sin via the male seed. This is why Jesus had to be born via a virgin (i.e. by the seed of a woman and not of the seed of the male). Babies were deserving of death by Adam's sin, but Jesus Christ reversed the curse of Adam. Fortunately, God is aware of the future with pinpoint precision (without having to be in the future) and He could declare that Jesus was the Promised Messiah and that His sacrifice was a guarantee for the salvation of men (long before Christ was physically sacrificed). For he is the Lamb slain since the foundation of the world. So while a baby's body is condemned to death by Adam's sin, their soul is saved by Jesus Christ and they will one day be resurrected physically by the power of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

In fact, the best way to comprehend Original Sin is to properly understand the doctrine of “Federal Headship.” One of the top passages that helps us to grasp "Federal Headship" is Hebrews 7:8-10. It says,

8 "Here people who die receive tithes, but there one receives tithes of whom it is testified that he lives.
9 We can say that through Abraham even Levi, who receives tithes, has paid tithes,
10 for he was yet in the body of his father when Melchizedek met him." (Hebrews 7:8-10) (New Heart English Bible).

Levi paid tithes in Abraham even before Levi was born. This is Federal Headship.

Three reasons why Federal Headship is true.

#1. The Virgin Birth. While it is true that a good reason Jesus was born of only a woman so that God the Father can be exclusively his true father, but this is not the only reason. When Eve sinned, nothing happened. It was only when Adam sinned when both of their eyes were opened to the after effects of sin. So sin is passed down by the male seed. This is one of the reasons why Jesus was born of a virgin. Hebrews 7:26 says, "For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;"

#2. The moment we accept Christ as our Savior (for real) we are forgiven of our past sins and we are associating with the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Jesus took on the sins of the entire world in his body in the Garden of Gethsemane from the cup that the Father gave to Him. Jesus was then later wounded for our transgressions and crushed for our iniquities and by his stripes (whip marks) we are healed. Jesus was literally taking our place. Romans 3:25 says "God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past,"; This is the blood or sacrifice of Jesus Christ. His sacrifice is applied to us when we become born again spiritually just as Adam's sin was once applied to us when we were born into this world by the flesh of Adam. 1 John 1:7 talks about our continued salvation in Christ. If we walk in the light [i.e. keep God's commandments abiding in God the Father] as He [Christ] is in the light [God the Father], we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin (cf. John 14:23). So Christ's sacrifice is applied to our lives when we repent of our sins and we then obey Him.
(Continued in next post):

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
#3. If we are truly 100% innocent at birth, then there would have been no need for a Savior. God could have just taken our lives before we reached the age of accountability before we could sin in God's eyes.

Romans 5:12 is probably the best verse in defending Original Sin. The word "for" (KJB) can be translated as the word "in" within Romans 5:12.

"Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one human being, and death through sin, and in that way death spread to all humans, in that all sinned" (Romans 5:12) (NTE).

1. Sin came into the world through one human being.
2. Death came through sin.
3. In this way death (sin) spread to all humans.
4. In that all sinned (in the fact that sin (death) spread to all humans by the fact that sin came into the world by one man, Adam).

It's why God sent a Savior.

For we see this same Greek word translated as the word "in" (instead of as "for) within other parts of the Bible:

G1909 - epi - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV)

This fits the context because verse 19 says,

"For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous." (Romans 5:19).

"Therefore as by the offence of one, judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one, the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life." (Romans 5:18).

"For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." (1 Corinthians 15:22).

When we come to Jesus, we have the promise that we will one day have a new resurrected body that will live forever. The opposite is true when we were born into this world with a body that is condemned by death because of the sin of Adam.

John 3:6 - “That which is born of the flesh is flesh”
  • 1 John 2:16 - "For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world."
  • Genesis 8:21 - The Lord said in his heart, “I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man’s heart is evil from his youth.”
  • Psalms 58:3 - The wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray from birth, speaking lies.
  • Job 5:7 - Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward.
  • Proverbs 22:15 - "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child;"
  • Job 15:14-16 - "What is man, that he should be clean? and he which is born of a woman, that he should be righteous? Behold, he putteth no trust in his saints; yea, the heavens are not clean in his sight. How much more abominable and filthy is man, which drinketh iniquity like water?"
  • Romans 7:24 - "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?"
  • Jeremiah 17:9 - "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"
  • Matthew 26:41 - "...The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
  • Ephesians 2:2-3 - "Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
Ephesians 2:3-4 says we are sinners by nature because it says by nature we were children of wrath and we were once called the "children of disobedience." This means that while it is true that sin is the breaking of the Law (1 Jhn 3:4), sin is not just something we do alone, it is something in who a person is (i.e. a sinner). So while Adam and Eve were originally formed by God to be morally good, they had free will to sin and their failure to obey God had led their descendants to be born with a sinful nature (whereby their hearts would be desperately wicked). This is why all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Because if we were born 100% innocent, then by sheer mathematical probability, at least one person in the human history would have not sinned (Not counting Jesus Christ of course because He is holy and separate from sinners - See Hebrews 7:26).

We are born in the image of Adam (who is earthy).

1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
1Co 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
1Co 15:47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
1Co 15:48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
1Co 15:49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

The second man is the Lord from heaven and we (believers) are to bear the image of the heavenly. This means we were not originally born to be spiritual or to be heavenly. It's why we need to be born again spiritually by Jesus Christ (the second man or the last Adam). Granted, this does not mean babies are not saved. Babies are simply unaware of knowing how to sin. Sin is not imputed where there is no Law (Romans 5:13). Babies do not know about any law, so sin cannot be imputed to them. So while babies do carry the sin of Adam (or the sin nature of Adam), they have not put forth any kind of sin or evil works to be judged. But yet, they do carry the sin of Adam within them (Which proves itself true by the fact they will sin later when they grow up). Jesus died for the sins of the entire world. So this very act by Jesus saves babies. If Jesus did not go to the cross, not even babies would have been saved. All of humanity would have been condemned. For Jesus Christ is our Savior; It is not our own own innocence or goodness alone that saves us!

Important Note:

While doing good is a part of God's Kingdom (i.e. Sanctification by the Holy Spirit), it is good deeds that the Lord does through the believer after they come to the Lord Jesus Christ by faith (seeking His forgiveness over their sin with Him). For we are first saved by God's grace and the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, and we continue in God's plan of salvation by walking in the Spirit and putting away the misdeeds of the body (See: Romans 8:13, and Galatians 5:16). But make no mistake, man is not born into being completely innocent. The stain of Adam's sin is definitely upon his offspring. Just look at the world around you.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that when eve sinned, it was nothing? So you’re saying that if adam hadnt sinned, everything would still be good??

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that when eve sinned, it was nothing? So you’re saying that if adam hadnt sinned, everything would still be good??

Sin entered the world by one man (Adam), and not Eve.

Romans 5:12
“Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:”

As for what happened with Eve when she sinned: I cannot honestly say because the Bible does not appear to talk about it.
The same can be said of your other question.

All I know is that the Fall or sin being passed down upon the human race happened through Adam, and not Eve (Which is based on Romans 5:12).

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Ezekiel 18:20 and Deuteronomy 24:6 - we read the Father/Childrens sins are not transferred.
In 2 Kings 14:6 we read each man becomes guilty when they sin, not before and will be punished for their own sins not the sins of the parents.
In Jeremiah 31:30- each man will die for their own sins/trespasses/ iniquities.
in Ezekiel 18:4- death only happens when one sins. The one who sins will die.

Its why babies are innocent since they have not sinned.

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: robert derrick

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Ezekiel 18:20 and Deuteronomy 24:6 - we read the Father/Childrens sins are not transferred.
In 2 Kings 14:6 we read each man becomes guilty when they sin, not before and will be punished for their own sins not the sins of the parents.
In Jeremiah 31:30- each man will die for their own sins/trespasses/ iniquities.
in Ezekiel 18:4- death only happens when one sins. The one who sins will die.

Its why babies are innocent since they have not sinned.

hope this helps !!!

I am not new to this topic. Although it has been a long time since I studied it. But I am aware of verses that appear to sound like they don’t teach Original Sin. But there are other verses that do appear to teach it, as well.

What do you make of Deuteronomy 5:9?

Deuteronomy 5:9
“Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,”

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To address Ephesians 2:3 in how we are by nature children of wrath:

Ephesians 2:3 says,
“Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.” (Note: The word conversation is an archaic word that means behavior.).

So are there other verses that suggest we are by nature children of wrath?

Yes, I believe there are.

Isaiah 53:6
“All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way;…”

Genesis 8:21
“…for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth;…”

Psalms 51:5
“Behold, I was shapen in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.”

Psalms 58:1-5
“The wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray as soon as they are born, speaking lies.”

Job 15:14
“What is man, that he could be pure? And he who is born of a woman, that he could be righteous?”

Jeremiah 17:9
“The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?”

Proverbs 22:15
“Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child;”

Job 5:7
“Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward.”

Romans 7:24
“O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?”
(Note: Paul said this when he was a Pharisee while under the Old Law before he knew Jesus Christ; In Romans 7:14-23, Paul says he is carnal sold under sin, and he describes his struggle in the flesh to not sin but he does so anyways).

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Give book, chapter and verse how sin is transferred from a mans semen into child.
Where O where did you come up with that!?

It is more of a logical deduction based on looking at several verses in the Bible.

Romans 5:12
“Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:”​

It says by one man sin entered the world and not by both Adam and Eve.

Romans 5:18
“Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.”​

It says the offense of one, and not two.

“For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.”​

It says in Adam all die and it does not say in Adam and Eve all die.

Genesis 3:6-7 KJB
“And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.”​

Other translations use the word Then instead of And for verse 7. Then the eyes of them both were opened. So after they both ate, then the eyes of them both were opened. Meaning, Eve did not know she was naked before she gave the fruit to Adam. In other words, while Eve did commit a transgression, sin did not enter the world yet until Adam ate of the tree (Whereby they both knew they were naked). If the text wanted to be clear that Eve’s eyes were opened before she gave of the fruit to Adam, then it would have clarified that fact. In fact, I think if Eve knew she was naked and sinned (before giving the fruit to Adam), she would have freaked out and probably run off and not convince Adam to eat of the fruit. So it makes logical sense that the fruit was good and she wanted to convince her husband of that fact. If she knew she was naked before giving the fruit to Adam, then why did not she not try to cover herself before giving the fruit to Adam? This to me suggests sin entered the world through Adam (the male). So when Eve sinned, their eyes were not opened to their nakedness yet.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Babies are under the curse of Adam’s sin in that they are mortal and will have an appointed day to die.

Babies who die in the womb are saved because they are not aware of any Law to break. The Scriptures say that sin is not imputed where there is no law (Romans 5:13). Babies are saved by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, and not because they are entirely innocent because when they grow up, they will indeed commit sin because they are by nature children of wrath (from being a part of Adam). For there is no human being who has never sinned and been innocent besides Jesus. It’s like a father who gets drunk. He can pass this sin of drunkenness onto his children.

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Original Sin (Adam’s sin or the sin nature passed down upon mankind)

There's NO Special SIN NATURE. There's only HUMAN NATURE that Adam Had, Jesus had, and I have. Adam's "Nature" never changed - only his envorinment did, and neither A, or E were ever CURSED. only two things were cursed - the serpent, and the earth. Adam followed the sequence of temptation conceived, resulting in SIN, just like I have, and you have. Jesus, however, didn't allow HIS temptation to conceive, and thus remained SINLESS.
There's no SIN NATURE

Reactions: robert derrick

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Adam and Eve disobeyed God by eating from “the tree of the knowledge of good and bad,” they committed what many call the original sin. (Genesis 2:16, 17; 3:6; Romans 5:19) That tree was off-limits to Adam and Eve because it represented God’s authority, or right, to decide what is good and evil (right & wrong) for humans. By eating from the tree, Adam and Eve took matters into their own hands, choosing to decide for themselves what is good and evil. In doing so, they rejected God’s moral authority.
Because they sinned, Adam and Eve grew old and finally died. They ruined their friendship with God and lost the prospect of living forever in perfect health. Genesis 3:19.
Adam and Eve passed on their sinful condition to all their descendants. This is similar to the way human parents pass on genetic defects. (Romans 5:12) Thus, all humans have been born “in sin,” meaning that we are born imperfect and inclined toward error. Psalm 51:5; Ephesians 2:3.

Because of inherited sin, or imperfection, we get sick, grow old, and die. (Romans 6:23) We also suffer the consequences of our own errors and those of others.—Ecclesiastes 8:9; James 3:2.

A misconception about the original sin is that the original sin permanently alienates us from God, but the scriptures say that Jesus died "as an atoning sacrifice for our sins (1 John 4:10) Jesus’ sacrifice can free us from the effects of inherited sin and allow us to have what Adam and Eve lost, the prospect of everlasting life in perfect health. John 3:16.

Another misconception is that baptism frees a person from original sin, so babies need to be baptized. Baptism is a vital step toward gaining salvation, but only faith in Jesus’ sacrifice can cleanse a person from sin. (1 Peter 3:21; 1 John 1:7) Because Biblical faith is based on knowledge, it is not possible for infants to have faith. The Bible, therefore, does not endorse infant baptism. This fact was evident among the early Christians. They baptized, not babies, but believers “men and women” who had faith in God’s Word. Acts 2:41; 8:12.

Another misconception is that God cursed women because Eve was the first to eat the forbidden fruit. Instead of cursing women, God cursed “the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan,” who incited Eve to sin. (Revelation 12:9; Genesis 3:14) What is more, God placed the primary responsibility for the original sin on Adam, not on his wife. Romans 5:12.
Someone may ask, Why did God say that Adam would dominate his wife? (Genesis 3:16) When making this statement, God was not condoning such behavior. He was simply foretelling a sad consequence of sin. God expects a man to love and honor his wife and to show deep respect for women in general. Ephesians 5:25; 1 Peter 3:7.

We have to understand that the expression “original sin” is not found in the Bible. In reality, the very first sin recorded in the Bible is Satan’s deceptive speech and his outright lie to Eve. Genesis 3:4, 5; John 8:44.
In the Bible, the word “sin” refers not only to wrong deeds but also to the imperfect, or sinful, condition that we have inherited.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Adam and Eve disobeyed God by eating from “the tree of the knowledge of good and bad,” they committed what many call the original sin. (Genesis 2:16, 17; 3:6; Romans 5:19) That tree was off-limits to Adam and Eve because it represented God’s authority, or right, to decide what is good and evil (right & wrong) for humans. By eating from the tree, Adam and Eve took matters into their own hands, choosing to decide for themselves what is good and evil. In doing so, they rejected God’s moral authority.

Well said. Thank you for sharing this.

You said:
Because they sinned, Adam and Eve grew old and finally died. They ruined their friendship with God and lost the prospect of living forever in perfect health. Genesis 3:19. Adam and Eve passed on their sinful condition to all their descendants. This is similar to the way human parents pass on genetic defects. (Romans 5:12) Thus, all humans have been born “in sin,” meaning that we are born imperfect and inclined toward error. Psalm 51:5; Ephesians 2:3. Because of inherited sin, or imperfection, we get sick, grow old, and die. (Romans 6:23) We also suffer the consequences of our own errors and those of others.—Ecclesiastes 8:9; James 3:2.

Indeed. I agree.

You said:
A misconception about the original sin is that the original sin permanently alienates us from God, but the scriptures say that Jesus died "as an atoning sacrifice for our sins (1 John 4:10) Jesus’ sacrifice can free us from the effects of inherited sin and allow us to have what Adam and Eve lost, the prospect of everlasting life in perfect health. John 3:16.

Yes, Calvinists believe that the Non-Elect (unbelievers & fake believers) are permanently alienated from God, but this would not be the case with Arminians. Note: I see all five points of Calvinism as unbiblical. Neither do I hold to all five points of Arminianism exactly (But my five points are Arminian influenced). To learn about my five points, check out my post here in another thread (if you are interested).

But yes. I agree. Original Sin is a conditional alienation from GOD (Which can be temporal if we choose to accept God’s grace and we remain faithful to Him). I see it sort of like which outlet do you want to plug into. Do you want to plug into the outlet of the sin of Adam (eating of the wrong tree), or do you want to plug into the outlet of Christ which involves His death, and resurrection (and eat of the right tree). We have a choice in which way or path we want to go and it’s not a one time decision only that happens in our life (But a daily one whereby we pick up our cross, deny ourselves, and follow Jesus).

The new birth in being saved by God’s grace frees us from the old man or Adam (original sin and the wrong sinful nature). For they that are Christ’s have crucified the affections and lusts (Galatians 5:24). In fact, it is the necessity of why we need a new birth in the first place. We need to have a new heart, and a new spirit with new desires. We are changed spiritually in the new birth. We have put on the new man in Christ.

I see Original Sin (or old dead man), and our change in Christ sort of like this short Christian animated video:

You said:
Another misconception is that baptism frees a person from original sin, so babies need to be baptized. Baptism is a vital step toward gaining salvation, but only faith in Jesus’ sacrifice can cleanse a person from sin. (1 Peter 3:21; 1 John 1:7) Because Biblical faith is based on knowledge, it is not possible for infants to have faith. The Bible, therefore, does not endorse infant baptism. This fact was evident among the early Christians. They baptized, not babies, but believers “men and women” who had faith in God’s Word. Acts 2:41; 8:12.

I agree that infant baptism is not biblical. I also agree that water baptism does not free a person from original sin; But it is faith in Jesus Christ as one’s Savior and or believing the gospel message in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (Which is believing that Christ died for our sins, He was buried, and risen the third day). When a person receives Jesus as their Savior in desiring to turn from their evil ways (Which can many times include calling upon the name of the Lord for salvation in seeking forgiveness of their past life of sin with Him), they will be born again spiritually. This is where they can are free from original sin (as long as they continue to remain faithful to the Lord). For if they sin again, and or don’t change, they will again associate with the old man or Adam and his sin.

You said:
Another misconception is that God cursed women because Eve was the first to eat the forbidden fruit. Instead of cursing women, God cursed “the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan,” who incited Eve to sin. (Revelation 12:9; Genesis 3:14) What is more, God placed the primary responsibility for the original sin on Adam, not on his wife. Romans 5:12. Someone may ask, Why did God say that Adam would dominate his wife? (Genesis 3:16) When making this statement, God was not condoning such behavior. He was simply foretelling a sad consequence of sin. God expects a man to love and honor his wife and to show deep respect for women in general. Ephesians 5:25; 1 Peter 3:7.

Yes, I agree, but I believe it needs to be made clear that the husband should lead by example in love, as well. While the husband should make the call on major family decisions in the home, he is not a task master yelling at his wife to fix the towels and if she doesn’t there are serious consequences she will have to pay. A husband should also speak in love with his wife (even when he disagrees with his wife), as well. But I am sure you agree with me on this point. I only mention so that our readers may know the importance of what you really mean here.

You said:
We have to understand that the expression “original sin” is not found in the Bible. In reality, the very first sin recorded in the Bible is Satan’s deceptive speech and his outright lie to Eve. Genesis 3:4, 5; John 8:44.
In the Bible, the word “sin” refers not only to wrong deeds but also to the imperfect, or sinful, condition that we have inherited.

Yes, the word “original sin” is not found in the Bible. But it does describe the first original sin of Adam and how that affected the entire human race. But I agree that sin can refer to our evil deeds and to our sinful condition.

Psalms 51:5 says,
“Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.”

I believe this is why we all have a sin nature. To deny that mankind has a sin nature is silly because all have sinned, and we can see mankind enslaved to sin. All men need to break the chains of the sin of Adam and be born again spiritually.

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Original Sin
(Adam’s sin or the sin nature
passed down upon mankind)

in the Bible:

Genesis 8:21 - Then the Lord said in His heart, "I will never again curse the ground for man's sake, although the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; nor will I again destroy every living thing as I have done.

Job 15:14-16 - What is man, that he could be pure? And he who is born of a woman, that he could be righteous? If God puts not trust in His saints, and the heavens are not pure in His sight, how much less man, who is abominable and filthy, who drinks iniquity like water!

Psalms 14:1-3 - The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none who does good. The Lord looks down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there are any who understand who seek God. They have all turned aside, they have together become corrupt; there is none who does good, no, not one.

Psalms 51:5 - Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me.

Psalms 58:1-5 - Do you indeed speak righteousness, you silent ones? Do you judge uprightly, you sons of men? No, in heart you work wickedness; you weigh out the violence of your hands in the earth. The wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray as soon as they are born, speaking lies.

Jeremiah 17:9 - The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?

Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as
through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned– 13 (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.
Ephesians 2:1 “And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, 3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.”

“For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.”

Hebrews 7:9
“And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.”

It seems to me that we create our own sin nature. Sooner or later we sin - God expects this - and when we do, we create a desire to sin more. To overcome the desire to sin, we need to stop sinning. That is the wise thing to do since sin brings trouble into our lives.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There's NO Special SIN NATURE. There's only HUMAN NATURE that Adam Had, Jesus had, and I have. Adam's "Nature" never changed - only his envorinment did, and neither A, or E were ever CURSED. only two things were cursed - the serpent, and the earth. Adam followed the sequence of temptation conceived, resulting in SIN, just like I have, and you have. Jesus, however, didn't allow HIS temptation to conceive, and thus remained SINLESS.
There's no SIN NATURE

Consider the verses in post #10.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that we create our own sin nature. Sooner or later we sin - God expects this - and when we do, we create a desire to sin more. To overcome the desire to sin, we need to stop sinning. That is the wise thing to do since sin brings trouble into our lives.

These verses suggest to me that our sin nature is not from just our choice to sin, but it comes even our birth and it is the core of who they are.

“The wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray as soon as they are born, speaking lies.”

“What is man, that he could be pure? And he who is born of a woman, that he could be righteous?”

“The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?”

(Note: Paul said this when he was a Pharisee while under the Old Law before he knew Jesus Christ; In Romans 7:14-23, Paul says he is carnal sold under sin, and he describes his struggle in the flesh to not sin but he does so anyways).

Jesus says, “the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” (Matthew 26:41).

The question is: Why is our flesh weak? Did God originally create it that way? Or does it make more sense to think that maybe the fall of Adam and his sin maybe affected us in some way? Based on the testimony of Scripture, this is what I must conclude.

Jesus was born of a virgin and by-passed the sin of the male seed.

Hebrews 7:26
“For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;”

This is why Jesus is separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These verses suggest to me that our sin nature is not from just our choice to sin, but it comes even our birth and it is the core of who they are.

Jesus says, “the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” (Matthew 26:41).

The question is: Why is our flesh weak? Did God originally create it that way? Or does it make more sense to think that maybe the fall of Adam and his sin maybe affected us in some way? Based on the testimony of Scripture, this is what I must conclude.

Jesus was born of a virgin and by-passed the sin of the male seed.

Hebrews 7:26
“For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;”

This is why Jesus is separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens.
I think from the beginning we've been confronted with choices: Sin or don't sin. Either way, it's best not to sin.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is good to teach that one must also be born [again] of the Spirit, for this is the salvation of God.

However, the idea of a "sin nature" is greatly misunderstood.

The outcome is the same so there is really no need to debate it as some do. But it is better to understand the truth:

Since Adam was born with a choice of obeying the commandment of God not to eat of the tree of life--he did not go on to father children of a sin nature--but he was actually created with a nature that allowed the choice of sin.
Therefore, when God had cleansed the earth of sin by the water of a great flood and raised up a people to be His people, He again set before them that same choice, saying:

I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live. Deuteronomy 30:19
And yet for their continual sinning before God the law was given that the whole world might know that the law which identified sin, failed to to save, nor was it the means of salvation. But rather than attempts at self-righteousness, salvation comes from God, and so He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, that by His righteous acts to do the commandment that Adam and Israel could not--that through Him salvation has come to all who believe that He was sent by God for that purpose.

But now again during this church age some attempt to attain salvation by their own acts of self-righteousness--wrongly thinking that was the commandment. It was not. So again God has set before us life and death, blessing and cursing, that we again might choose life by the righteousness of Christ, and live.

Nonetheless, some still have not learned.

Last edited: