OSAS being False Doctrine!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of those passages negate the other passages that clearly identify baptism as the point in time in the life of the believer when his sins are forgiven and he receives the gift of the Holy Spirit.

So it comes down to what it means to "simply believe/place faith in Jesus Christ for salvation". Can one believe/place faith in Jesus Christ for salvation and ignore what Jesus Christ has said concerning the place of baptism in salvation? I think not.

Moreover, I really do not understand the animosity toward baptism displayed by so many.

By the way, for what it is worth, you listed Galatians 3:26 in support of your point. Have you not read the very next verse?

Gal 3:26 for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith.
Gal 3:27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

I am curious. Do you think that you have put on Christ? If so, how did you accomplish that?
So, we have numerous passages of scripture in the New Testament which make it clear that we are saved through belief/faith "apart from additions or modifications" but you expect me to believe baptism is also included? You expect me to "shoehorn" baptism "into" belief/faith in order to make it work? Not buying it. But that's how you try to get around this. What other works do you try to "shoehorn" into belief/faith? That is not believing in/placing faith in Jesus Christ alone for salvation but in works.

What did Jesus say about baptism? Did Jesus say that whoever is not baptized will not be saved? NO. If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then we would expect Jesus to mention it in the following verses. (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26). What is the 1 requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements? *BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Galatians 3:26 - For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus (Period.) Not through faith and water baptism. Also read John 1:12 - But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name. *Received Him, given the right to become children of God, through believing in His name, not through water baptism.

Galatians 3:27 - For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on/clothed yourself with Christ. The Greek word for "put on" is "enduo" and means to enclose oneself in, as when one "puts on" clothes or armor or some other item. Involved in this is the idea of "imitation" and "identification." Just as 1 Corinthians 10:2 says that all (the Israelites) were "baptized into Moses" in the cloud and in the sea, but this does not mean that the Israelites were literally water baptized into the body of Moses.

So how does one "put on" Christ in baptism? Is it because one becomes a "child of God" through water baptism? NO. Is Paul saying that we become children of God by water baptism as much as children of God by faith in Christ? NO.

"Let us therefore cast off the works of darkness and let us put on the armor of light...put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof." (Romans 13:12,14) This exhortation is written to Christians (those already saved). Evidently then, baptism is not the only way to "put on" Christ. To "put on" Christ is to conform to Him, imitate Him.

So it is in baptism; we "put on" Christ, conforming to Him in the ordinance that declares Him to be our Savior. So, if "put on" Christ means saved through water baptism, apparently, we are not saved yet. We must also "put on" Christ by making no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts in order to be saved as well. (Romans 13:14) Right? NO. This exhortation is to those ALREADY SAVED.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eternally Grateful

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 3, John 4, John 5, John 6

I can noame many other places where Jesus said whoever believes will be saved. No mention of baptism.

just saying, Since you said you find no place where Jesus said believe but are not baptized will be saved,

that is a false statement
It is not a false statement. Jesus never said, "You can be saved even if you are not baptized". Not stating baptism explicitly every time salvation is mentioned is not the same thing as stating that baptism is not necessary.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not a false statement. Jesus never said, "You can be saved even if you are not baptized". Not stating baptism explicitly every time salvation is mentioned is not the same thing as stating that baptism is not necessary.
Who did Jesus say would be condemned? He who is not baptized, or he who does not believe? (Mark 16:16(b); John 3:18)

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism is an action word. Christ is the object with which we were baptized into (not water)

no water was involved.
Every time water-salvationists see "baptized into Christ" they assume it means water baptized into the body of Christ. The only baptism that places us into the body of Christ is Spirit baptism (1 Corinthians 12:13) not water baptism. The only "sense" in which we would be water baptized into Christ would be the same "sense" that the Israelites were "baptized into Moses." (1 Corinthians 10:2)

The Israelites were not literally water baptized into the body of Moses and being "baptized into Moses" signified the open allegiance and public identification of the Israelites with Moses as their leader. Moses was formally recognized as the leader of the covenant people, the Israelites. Water baptism signifies our allegiance and public identification with Christ as our Savior, so it would only be in that sense.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, we have numerous passages of scripture in the New Testament which make it clear that we are saved through belief/faith "apart from additions or modifications" but you expect me to believe baptism is also included?
Again, can you say that you have belief/faith in God and reject what God has said? I don't think so.

In a couple of places, both Paul and Peter spoke of the fate of those who fail to obey the gospel:

2Th 1:8 in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.

1Pe 4:17 For it is time for judgment to begin at the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

The clear implication is that there is a need to obey the gospel. Is belief/faith the extent of what it means to obey the gospel? It is interesting to me that most of the NT is not about belief/faith as a stand-alone action. Most of the NT is about what belief/faith means or requires.

You asked, "So, we have numerous passages of scripture in the New Testament which make it clear that we are saved through belief/faith "apart from additions or modifications" but you expect me to believe baptism is also included?"

No, I don't expect that. In fact, I don't really expect anything of you. I think when Jesus said, "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved", you should believe Him. I don't expect that you will, but you should.

When Jesus told the crowd, through Peter by the power of the Holy Spirit, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38)," I think you should believe Him. I don't expect that you will, but I think you should.

When Jesus said, through Paul by the power of the Holy Spirit, "In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses" (Col 2:11-13), I think you should believe Him; I don't expect you will, but I think you should.

I could go on and on, but I don't think it would be useful.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who did Jesus say would be condemned? He who is not baptized, or he who does not believe? (Mark 16:16(b); John 3:18)
Baptism is not a mechanism for salvation. Baptism is the occasion when the believer is saved. If one does not believe, then there is no such thing as baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sin. Such a thing does not exist. It is an oxymoron. Even in the case of John's baptism, repentance was a requirement. If there is no belief/faith there is no repentance.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, can you say that you have belief/faith in God and reject what God has said? I don't think so.
I have not rejected what God has said about salvation through belief/faith "apart from works." (John 3:15,16,18; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 16:31; Romans 1:16; 3:24-28; 4:5-6; 5:1; Ephesians 2:8,9 etc..).

In a couple of places, both Paul and Peter spoke of the fate of those who fail to obey the gospel:

2Th 1:8 in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.

1Pe 4:17 For it is time for judgment to begin at the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?
So, what does it mean to obey the gospel? Romans 10:16 - But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” We obey the gospel by choosing to believe the gospel (Romans 1:16) by trusting in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation. (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) Salvation by water baptism + other works is a different gospel.

The clear implication is that there is a need to obey the gospel. Is belief/faith the extent of what it means to obey the gospel? It is interesting to me that most of the NT is not about belief/faith as a stand-alone action. Most of the NT is about what belief/faith means or requires.
*Like I said. See Romans 10:16; 1:16; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4.

You asked, "So, we have numerous passages of scripture in the New Testament which make it clear that we are saved through belief/faith "apart from additions or modifications" but you expect me to believe baptism is also included?"

No, I don't expect that. In fact, I don't really expect anything of you. I think when Jesus said, "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved", you should believe Him. I don't expect that you will, but you should.
Notice there is a "distinction" between believes AND is baptized. Believes is not baptism and believes precedes baptism and we are saved when we believe. It's just that simple. I believe Jesus. Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned. I believe ALL of what Jesus said. The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely necessary for salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief and not on a lack of baptism. *NOWHERE does the Bible say "baptized or condemned."

When Jesus told the crowd, through Peter by the power of the Holy Spirit, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38)," I think you should believe Him. I don't expect that you will, but I think you should.
I believe what Peter said in Acts 2:38 in harmony with the rest of scripture. (Luke 24:47; Acts 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18)

When Jesus said, through Paul by the power of the Holy Spirit, "In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses" (Col 2:11-13), I think you should believe Him; I don't expect you will, but I think you should.
I already thoroughly covered this in post #618 but apparently what I explained to you just went right over your head. :(

I could go on and on, but I don't think it would be useful.
Of course, you could. Your church of Christ indoctrination runs deep.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can't find anywhere in the NT where it is stated that water was not involved.

Yes I can

Romans 6:3
Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?

It says I was baptized, immersed, placed INTO Christ and his death.

Not water

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

It says I was baptized, immersed placed into 1 Body, it even tells me who did the baptism (the spirit) and again, no water involved

Galatians 3:27

For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Again, Baptized, immersed, placed into ONE BODY. no water involved.

Colossians 2:12
buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.

Buried with him in baptism, in the working of God who raised him from the dead. what is this? The spiritual circumcision Done without the hands of men..

nice try

There are, of course, many places where water is not specifically mentioned, but that does not preclude water being involved. That can come only from your own personal interpretation.
Actually its your personal interpretation. and your refusal to look at the word baptizo in greek to see what it means.

Reactions: mailmandan

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 3:
4 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God

John 4:
36 He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

No mention of baptism to recieve eternal life,

No mention of baptism to be saved, or no mention of failure to be baptized to be condemned

John 4: 13 Jesus answered and said to her, “Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”

No mention of baptism in order to be granted eternal life. or lack of being baptized

John 5:
24 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

Again, no mention of water baptism to have everlasting life. to not come into judgment or to pass from death to life. And no mention of lack And no mention of lack of water baptism to NOT recieve these things

John 6:
27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”
35 And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst
37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out.
40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”

No mention of baptism in order to Never hunger or thirst. To never be cast out, To have eternal life, to live forever. and never die

In same token, no mention of not be baptized causing you to lose these things.

There are more. but i think this is enough, since I mentioned them.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every time water-salvationists see "baptized into Christ" they assume it means water baptized into the body of Christ. The only baptism that places us into the body of Christ is Spirit baptism (1 Corinthians 12:13) not water baptism. The only "sense" in which we would be water baptized into Christ would be the same "sense" that the Israelites were "baptized into Moses." (1 Corinthians 10:2)

The Israelites were not literally water baptized into the body of Moses and being "baptized into Moses" signified the open allegiance and public identification of the Israelites with Moses as their leader. Moses was formally recognized as the leader of the covenant people, the Israelites. Water baptism signifies our allegiance and public identification with Christ as our Savior, so it would only be in that sense.
its because the people who interpreted to english did not translate the word. but transliterated the word.

huge failure that could have been solved with one act. Interpret the word.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
o, you are saying that Acts 2:38 did not apply to the thief on the cross, but the baptism of John (Mark 1:4; Luke 3:3) did apply to him and both baptisms are necessary for the remission of sins, yet the thief on the cross was somehow exempt. :IDK:In Matthew 27:39-44, we see that those who passed by, along with the chief priests' scribes and elders blasphemed, mocked and shook their heads at Jesus and even the robbers who were crucified with Him reviled Him with the same thing. Yet, moments later, we see that one of the thieves had a "change of mind" (repentance) placed his faith in Christ for salvation and was saved. (Luke 23:40-43) Of course he died before having the opportunity to be water baptized which demonstrates that water baptism is not absolutely required for salvation. So, when are sins actually remitted?

Acts 10:43 - Of Him all the prophets bear witness that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins. *What happened to baptism?

Acts 26:18 - to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

Why can't we find a single verse in the Bible that says whoever is not baptized will not be saved? In Luke 13:3, we read that but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. If we don't repent (change our mind) then we won't believe in Christ for salvation and be saved. In John 3:18, we read - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? NO) does not believe is condemned already, because (he has not been water baptized? NO) he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

If water baptism was absolutely required for salvation, then God would not make so many statements in which He promises eternal life to those who simply believe/place faith in Jesus Christ for salvation. (Luke 8:12; John 1:12; 3:15,16,18,36; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26; 20:31; Acts 4:4; 10:43; 13:39; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18; Romans 1:16; 3:24-28; 4:5; 5:1; 10:4; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 2:16; 3:26; Ephesians 2:8; Philippians 3:9; 2 Timothy 3:15; 1 John 5:13 etc..).
So, you are saying that Acts 2:38 did not apply to the thief on the cross, but the baptism of John (Mark 1:4; Luke 3:3) did apply to him and both baptisms are necessary for the remission of sins, yet the thief on the cross was somehow exempt. :IDK:In Matthew 27:39-44, we see that those who passed by, along with the chief priests' scribes and elders blasphemed, mocked and shook their heads at Jesus and even the robbers who were crucified with Him reviled Him with the same thing. Yet, moments later, we see that one of the thieves had a "change of mind" (repentance) placed his faith in Christ for salvation and was saved. (Luke 23:40-43) Of course he died before having the opportunity to be water baptized which demonstrates that water baptism is not absolutely required for salvation. So, when are sins actually remitted?
Yes you are about to figure this out. Yes both baptism were for the remission of sin,and the one inthe name of Jesus Christ is still to this day. Yes the thief on the cross was subject to the baptism of John, but whether he had been we do not know, but from scripture it appears he hadn't, but here is the most important part of the story, Jesus was still alive and on earth. While Jesus was walking this earth he had the authority to heal, forgive, and all other power that was given him by the Farther, but Jesus is no longer here ,and he left instructions as to how we are to be forgiven of our sins, it is his last will and testament, and the only way possible now that he is gone. The baptism in the name of Jesus Christ replaced the baptism of John that is elementary teaching you have not got off the milk yet .

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, you are saying that Acts 2:38 did not apply to the thief on the cross, but the baptism of John (Mark 1:4; Luke 3:3) did apply to him and both baptisms are necessary for the remission of sins, yet the thief on the cross was somehow exempt. :IDK:In Matthew 27:39-44, we see that those who passed by, along with the chief priests' scribes and elders blasphemed, mocked and shook their heads at Jesus and even the robbers who were crucified with Him reviled Him with the same thing. Yet, moments later, we see that one of the thieves had a "change of mind" (repentance) placed his faith in Christ for salvation and was saved. (Luke 23:40-43) Of course he died before having the opportunity to be water baptized which demonstrates that water baptism is not absolutely required for salvation. So, when are sins actually remitted?

Acts 10:43 - Of Him all the prophets bear witness that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins. *What happened to baptism?

Acts 26:18 - to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

Why can't we find a single verse in the Bible that says whoever is not baptized will not be saved? In Luke 13:3, we read that but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. If we don't repent (change our mind) then we won't believe in Christ for salvation and be saved. In John 3:18, we read - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? NO) does not believe is condemned already, because (he has not been water baptized? NO) he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

If water baptism was absolutely required for salvation, then God would not make so many statements in which He promises eternal life to those who simply believe/place faith in Jesus Christ for salvation. (Luke 8:12; John 1:12; 3:15,16,18,36; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26; 20:31; Acts 4:4; 10:43; 13:39; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18; Romans 1:16; 3:24-28; 4:5; 5:1; 10:4; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 2:16; 3:26; Ephesians 2:8; Philippians 3:9; 2 Timothy 3:15; 1 John 5:13 etc..).

What happened to repentance and confession? It does not have to be repeated in every chapter of the bible. I know you are not that unlearned that you do not know that if it is mentioned at least once it is binding. We must trust and harmonize if we read that confession is required we know that it is even if it is not mentioned in all other places because we were told elsewhere. WE have to use our brains God gave us and you do on all other just reject the baptism passages.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

why do we need one, really, we are told that we have to believe and be baptized. We are told that baptism in the name of Jesus Christ is for the remission of sin. Why can we not just believe that and trust in Gods word? Why do we need to be told that if we do not believe in baptism and reject his word on it we will not be saved? Was his telling us that we must not efficient? That is really a childish question don't you think. It sounds as a person that just doesn't want to accept the truth of God's word but is trying to find a way around it so as to tickle their itchy ear syndrome.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God did tell you many places what baptism in the name of Jesus Christ was and what he does in the baptism and why we need to submit to it you just reject his word on it. God should not have to tell you over and over an obedient child would only need to be told once again your argument here is that of a child's mind you know better.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes you are about to figure this out. Yes both baptism were for the remission of sin,and the one inthe name of Jesus Christ is still to this day. Yes the thief on the cross was subject to the baptism of John, but whether he had been we do not know, but from scripture it appears he hadn't, but here is the most important part of the story, Jesus was still alive and on earth. While Jesus was walking this earth he had the authority to heal, forgive, and all other power that was given him by the Farther, but Jesus is no longer here ,and he left instructions as to how we are to be forgiven of our sins, it is his last will and testament, and the only way possible now that he is gone. The baptism in the name of Jesus Christ replaced the baptism of John that is elementary teaching you have not got off the milk yet .
You really think he is about to figure it out?

Baptism in name of Jesus did not replace anything.

However. replacing the baptism of the spirit with the baptism in water is blasphemy.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What happened to repentance and confession? It does not have to be repeated in every chapter of the bible. I know you are not that unlearned that you do not know that if it is mentioned at least once it is binding. We must trust and harmonize if we read that confession is required we know that it is even if it is not mentioned in all other places because we were told elsewhere. WE have to use our brains God gave us and you do on all other just reject the baptism passages.
why did Jesus not mention baptism in John 3, 4, 5 and 6?

Reactions: Nancy

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
why do we need one, really, we are told that we have to believe and be baptized. We are told that baptism in the name of Jesus Christ is for the remission of sin. Why can we not just believe that and trust in Gods word? Why do we need to be told that if we do not believe in baptism and reject his word on it we will not be saved? Was his telling us that we must not efficient? That is really a childish question don't you think. It sounds as a person that just doesn't want to accept the truth of God's word but is trying to find a way around it so as to tickle their itchy ear syndrome.
No

We were told to look up to the cross. as they looked up to the serpent. and we will never die and have eternal life. because our condemnation is removed

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God did tell you many places what baptism in the name of Jesus Christ was and what he does in the baptism and why we need to submit to it you just reject his word on it. God should not have to tell you over and over an obedient child would only need to be told once again your argument here is that of a child's mind you know better.
lol

No one has ever been saved because they allowed another sinner to immerse them in water.

Reactions: Nancy
Status
Not open for further replies.