Our words

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always remember what Jesus said as follows. However, I sometimes see on forums some members can get rather sharp with their words. Sometimes even calling others what Jesus warned us not to do... specifically calling another a fool.

What are your thoughts when some Christians might resort to name calling, etc?

22But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother [e]without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’[f] shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, [g]‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of [h]hell fire. Matthew 5:22.

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's another relevant verse to remember:

Matthew 12:36-37
I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”​
Luke 23:34

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 12:36-37
I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

‘for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.’ Whether one speaks life, or speaks death?

1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I hate all the name calling so I stay away from discussions that are so intense that people resort to rudeness and I also deploy the 'ignore' option.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be." James 3:2-10

No, these things ought not to be so, but as we see they very often are... and Jesus says to us:

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matt 5:48

One of those impossible tasks imposed upon us?

"And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?
And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:26-27

How then?

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened" Matt 7:7-8

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always remember what Jesus said as follows. However, I sometimes see on forums some members can get rather sharp with their words. Sometimes even calling others what Jesus warned us not to do... specifically calling another a fool.

22But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother [e]without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’[f] shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, [g]‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of [h]hell fire. Matthew 5:22.

Hi Debp,
Seems the others gave the perfect scriptures! Aside from the direction we have from those scriptures, words cut deep, especially from a so called brother or sister. I see allot of misunderstandings which then cause arguing and we know that gets nobody anywhere. I think we are very careless with our words, it seems that many just ignore them. It is very disappointing but, expected, unfortunately. Kind of makes it even harder to develop good solid relationships where we can share our deepest thoughts with, pray with and for.
True fellowship is so very hard to find today but, there is a remnant!
God Bless Abundantly,
Nancy

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think the trouble is that the church is not well trained in how to speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15). There are many ways in which Christians speak to one another that need correcting, yet many resort to insults and mockery, which isn't fulfilling the commandment. Certainly we make one another angry at times, but the scripture also says to not let the sun go down on it, so what is involved is putting all anger aside to only correct in a Spirit of love (2 Timothy 3:16-17). The last part of the puzzle, however, is that some need very strong correction, especially when they are being used by the enemy and need to be told this in no uncertain terms (Matthew 16:23), and this can be very difficult to communicate because it is so confrontational. But again, it is about speaking the truth in love. If the correction is indeed the truth yet love is the motivation and the Spirit behind what is said, one has fulfilled the commandment, and is working to stem the tide of believers allowing themselves to be used by the enemy, in both words and actions.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hate all the name calling so I stay away from discussions that are so intense that people resort to rudeness and I also deploy the 'ignore' option.

I also don't like debating so avoid those types of topics. I will sometimes give an answer in such a topic but just state my case and leave it there. Some people want to continue to argue....I just walk away from those discussions as it will just go on and on. Really serving no purpose.

I think the trouble is that the church is not well trained in how to speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15). There are many ways in which Christians speak to one another that need correcting, yet many resort to insults and mockery, which isn't fulfilling the commandment. Certainly we make one another angry at times, but the scripture also says to not let the sun go down on it, so what is involved is putting all anger aside to only correct in a Spirit of love (2 Timothy 3:16-17). The last part of the puzzle, however, is that some need very strong correction, especially when they are being used by the enemy and need to be told this in no uncertain terms (Matthew 16:23), and this can be very difficult to communicate because it is so confrontational. But again, it is about speaking the truth in love. If the correction is indeed the truth yet love is the motivation and the Spirit behind what is said, one has fulfilled the commandment, and is working to stem the tide of believers allowing themselves to be used by the enemy, in both words and actions.

Agree. Speaking the truth in love is the answer.
If we need to be stronger in making a point, we should still be respectful towards the other member.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A question about this forum. Are name calling and disrespectful comments generally allowed here?

Just wondering, because I help at a different forum, and we don't allow that.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A question about this forum. Are name calling and disrespectful comments generally allowed here?

Just wondering, because I help at a different forum, and we don't allow that.

Good morning, sister.

"Allowed" might be too strong a word. "Tolerated" (within limits) might be closer. Profanity would get a red flag.

The thing is, for a long time this has been a self-policing site, which means a number of things that would have been more heavily moderated elsewhere have traditionally gone under the radar here. Now, in the last half year or so they started adding more moderators, and this may have been one of the reasons why. You'd have to ask them. But I know that unless things were really egregious around here, you could get away with more here than at other forums. In a way it was both a blessing and a curse. You could tell people things that needed to be said, but at the same time they could post insulting and mocking comments in return and get away with it.

I still think it's healthier than over-moderating, frankly. It's one of the reasons why this is my home forum. Sometimes rude people have to be put in their place (albeit with decency), and I was kicked off CF for doing something as innocent as using a little sarcasm with an atheist who was asking for it. To me, that's too strict.

Hope that helps. I'm sure if you tag someone like lforrest, he will be able to tell you exactly what the forum position is.

Reactions: Debp and amadeus

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
‘for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.’ Whether one speaks life, or speaks death?
That is certainly one perspective, but not the only one:

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think* about these things.​

For each of the above, one is justified, and for what is opposite (false, dishonorable, unjust...), one is condemned.

_____
* and speak

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think a lot has to do with what we are here for, what we intend to share with others.

I think sometimes we can just log on and start typing, but without making a conscious choice, it's easy to drift.

I have this verse posted on my monitor . . . Let no corrupt word out of your mouth go forth, but what is good unto the needful building up, that it may give grace to the hearers.

We are to give grace to each other so we can build each other up, and we are to limit our words to what will do that. All else is corrupt.

All else.

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
965f7718c418396106f361e4d8e1e047.jpg