Out of the belly of SHEOL Jonah cried

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jonah 2:

1 Jonah prayed to the LORD his God from the belly of the fish, 2 saying,
“I called out to the LORD, out of my distress, and he answered me; out of the belly of Sheol I cried, and you heard my voice.
Did Jonah die and go to Sheol and pray?

I don't think so. There is a parallel between "the belly of the fish" and "the belly of Sheol". Sheol is a metaphor for the condition inside the belly of the huge fish. It was a near-death experience. Jonah continued to explain the metaphor:

5 The waters closed in over me to take my life; the deep surrounded me; weeds were wrapped about my head
He was in a terrible place, like Sheol. But there was hope:

7 When my life was fainting away, I remembered the LORD, and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.
He didn't die, but he was near death. The experience was like he had died and gone to Sheol. If he had actually died, then prayed, and then got resurrected, that would have been an incredible event in the history of mankind. He would have clearly mentioned the death and resurrection instead of using metaphors.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sheol is simply the grave and no Jonah did not die...though he came very close!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Out of the belly of SHEOL Jonah cried​

I s'pose Jonah was trying to be heard above the racket cuz SHE was 'OLlering as well!

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think he actually may have. There's no way he could have suvived in the belly of a fish for three days unless by some divine intervention (which I can't completely discount). If so, he would have gone down to Abraham's bosom until he was resurrected like Lazarus.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FAQ: What happens to us when we die?

REPLY: Unfortunately this is a hot button subject wherein both sides of the
aisle can substantiate their position so that it ends up a perpetual debate
that never really gets to the bottom of anything with both sides hurling
scriptures at each other in a messy food fight.

At some point in Jonah's nautical adventure he went to a place called sheol
(Jonah 2:2) which is located at the roots of the mountains (Jonah 2:6) Well;
mountains aren't moored in the tummies of fish, nor are they moored
under the sea, rather, mountains are moored underground.

Also, the language of Jonah 2:6 strongly suggests that he underwent a
resurrection. The Hebrew word for "pit" in that verse speaks of putrefaction.
The very same Hebrew word is located in Ps 16:8-10, which Acts 2:25-31
verifies is speaking of a dead body.

Jesus spent some time in the heart of the earth (Matt 12:40) Now when you
think about it; his crucified dead body wasn't buried in the earth. In point of
fact, his remains were laid to rest above ground, viz: neither Jesus nor
Jonah underwent subterranean burials, yet both at some point in their
experience were down there.

One of my favorite afterlife passages is Isa 14:9-10 wherein was predicted
that deceased heads of State in sheol would be engaged in conversation
related to a certain king of Babylon who, at the time of the prediction, was
destined to join them.

The human body can be terminated by most any means, but the human soul
can only be terminated by divine means (Matt 10:28) Well if so; then where
are all the souls of the dead being stored for now while waiting to face justice
at the great white throne event depicted by Rev 20:11-15?
_

Last edited:
Reactions: Jericho

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
Het guys, to be saved ( FROM CORRUPTION.) is to believe Jesus Christ was dead, for three days and nights in the heart of the earth then rose again. ( to life eternal)

Jonah as king David saw corruption, ( Jonah spoke of his life being brought up from corruption) Jesus Christ saw no corruption...

Jonah 2:6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O Lord my God.

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:
40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;
41 Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.
42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.
43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

Acts 13:35 Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:
37 But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.
38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:
39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FAQ: Why was Jesus' crucified dead body restored to life so soon? Why not
leave him deceased four, five, or even six days instead of only three?

REPLY: It was predicted that Jesus' dead body wouldn't undergo
putrefaction. (Ps 16:8-10 & Acts 2:25-31) Had he remained deceased more
than three days, Jesus' corpse would've started to rot. (John 11:39)

BTW: A preponderance of evidence testifies that Jesus' crucified dead body
was restored to life during the third day rather than after the third was all
over and done with.

Matt 17:22-23
Matt 20:18-19
Mark 9:31
Luke 9:22
Luke 18:33
Luke 24:5-8
Luke 24:21-23
Luke 24:46
John 2:19
Acts 10:40
1Cor 15:4

FAQ: What about Matt 27:63 and Mark 8:31? They say "after" the third day
rather than during the third.

REPLY: To begin with, those verses are outnumbered 11÷2.

Plus; the Greek word translated "after" is somewhat ambiguous. It can
indicate moments following the conclusion of an event, but it can also
indicate moments within an event. I suggest letting the 11÷2 majority
decide how best to interpret the intent of Matt 27:63 and Mark 8:31.

FAQ: Luke 24:21-23 says the morning that women came to the cemetery
was the third day. How can that be true when the sun wasn't up yet when
they arrived?

REPLY: This is a mite confusing due to a natural day following close on the heels
of a liturgical day.

Whereas liturgical days were a twenty-four hour amalgam of daytime and
nighttime; natural days consisted of only twelve hours of daytime. (John 11:9-10)

The day preceding the first day of the week was a sabbath (Matt 28:1)
which began at sunset Friday and ended at sunset Saturday. So that in
accord with liturgy; the first day of the week picked up where the sabbath
left off at sunset Saturday, whereas in accord with nature the first day began
with sunrise Sunday.

FAQ: Can the hours of darkness during Jesus' crucifixion be counted as one
of the three nights?

REPLY: Jesus survived those hours. Matt 12:40 requires that he be dead and
buried.
_

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jonah 2:

I don't think so. There is a parallel between "the belly of the fish" and "the belly of Sheol". Sheol is a metaphor for the condition inside the belly of the huge fish. It was a near-death experience. Jonah continued to explain the metaphor:

He was in a terrible place, like Sheol. But there was hope:

He didn't die, but he was near death. The experience was like he had died and gone to Sheol. If he had actually died, then prayed, and then got resurrected, that would have been an incredible event in the history of mankind. He would have clearly mentioned the death and resurrection instead of using metaphors.
I think Jonah was in the belly of a big fish (Jonah 1:17).

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jonah 2:6 . . I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with
her bars was about me forever:

The Hebrew word translated "bars" refers to the sturdy bolts laid across the
leaves of ancient city gates to secure them in place. (e.g. Judges 16:3)

In other words: at some point in his adventure, Jonah was imprisoned; and
he wasn't speaking of the fish's innards because he distinctly said "the
earth"

Jesus hinted to something like that when he said:

"The gates of hades shall not prevail against it."

In other words: just as the earth failed to restrain Jonah, so hades failed to
restrain Jesus.
_

Last edited:

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
1. FAQ: Why was Jesus' crucified dead body restored to life so soon? Why not
leave him deceased four, five, or even six days instead of only three?

2. REPLY: It was predicted that Jesus' dead body wouldn't undergo
putrefaction. (Ps 16:8-10 & Acts 2:25-31) Had he remained deceased more
than three days, Jesus' corpse would've started to rot. (John 11:39)

3. BTW: A preponderance of evidence testifies that Jesus' crucified dead body
was restored to life during the third day rather than after the third was all
over and done with.

Matt 17:22-23
Matt 20:18-19
Mark 9:31
Luke 9:22
Luke 18:33
Luke 24:5-8
Luke 24:21-23
Luke 24:46
John 2:19
Acts 10:40
1Cor 15:4

FAQ: What about Matt 27:63 and Mark 8:31? They say "after" the third day
rather than during the third.

REPLY: To begin with, those verses are outnumbered 11÷2.

Plus; the Greek word translated "after" is somewhat ambiguous. It can
indicate moments following the conclusion of an event, but it can also
indicate moments within an event. I suggest letting the 11÷2 majority
decide how best to interpret the intent of Matt 27:63 and Mark 8:31.

FAQ: Luke 24:21-23 says the morning that women came to the cemetery
was the third day. How can that be true when the sun wasn't up yet when
they arrived?

REPLY: This is a mite confusing due to a natural day following close on the heels
of a liturgical day.

Whereas liturgical days were a twenty-four hour amalgam of daytime and
nighttime; natural days consisted of only twelve hours of daytime. (John 11:9-10)

The day preceding the first day of the week was a sabbath (Matt 28:1)
which began at sunset Friday and ended at sunset Saturday. So that in
accord with liturgy; the first day of the week picked up where the sabbath
left off at sunset Saturday, whereas in accord with nature the first day began
with sunrise Sunday.

FAQ: Can the hours of darkness during Jesus' crucifixion be counted as one
of the three nights?

REPLY: Jesus survived those hours. Matt 12:40 requires that he be dead and
buried.
_
1. Three days is for belief, because God REVIVED US, and in the third day raised us up. ( AND WE SHALL LIVE IN HIS SIGHT.)

Look below and see that Jesus fulfilled precisely this, of not yet being ascended to the Father. ( two days revived, and the THIRD DAY WE SHALL LIVE IN HIS SIGHT.)

Hosea 6:2 After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.

John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

2. David speaks of Christ.

David was dead and buried.

David in faith ( knowing) that God had with an oath SWORN ( the PROMISES OF GOD) that of the seed of David, the flesh, God would raise up Christ ( risen to LIFE) to sit on his throne. ( David THEREFORE spoke of the RESURRECTION of Christ, for his soul to not be left in hell and his flesh seeing corruption...

Psalm 16:8 I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.
10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Acts 2:25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.
29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

David by the will of God fell on sleep ( died and was buried) and saw corruption. ( but not left in hell)

But He whom God RAISED, saw NO CORRUPTION...

Acts 13:35 Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:
37 But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.

3. Belief in Him risen the third day saves us, because He did rise, and because we needed Him to ,live, so we live...

John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

Matthew 17:23 And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.

Matthew 27:63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.

Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:
40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;
41 Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.
42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.
43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
It is as simple as we see exampled, that belief in the testimony/preaching of the cross ( the FOOLISHNESS OF PREACHING) saves THEM WHO BELIEVE.

The wisdom of this world ( all who question/who do not believe/the wisdom of this world, is BROUGHT TO NOTHING...

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.