Parable Of The Unmerciful Servant

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We know that our God hides all our sins behind His back. Isa 38

Who are we to hold anything against , once God has forgiven.
Yet, we are to be 'as wise as serpents but as harmless as doves..'

We must forgive, and if nothing more...for our souls sake, bitterness dries up the bones...and, because we are first forgiven ...Yet are we to forget?
Not sure about that...

I remember many years ago, ( 80's) when we were all casting demons out of door knobs... a friend of mine was reasoned with a bound person out of control person ( who had stolen from the community) ...he thought he had brought her peace, he turned to walk away and she stabbed him in the back ( not metaphorically ) he was hurt but not injured badly ...

He preach heavily on forgiveness always..because it is God's nature...but he also never forgot to NOT "turn his back".. :)

Sorry Chris if I did not really answer your OP! :oops:

I think you have explored the idea of forgiveness a little further. In counseling women who were sexually abused as children, I always had to say something like, "You don't have to associate with him (in the case where the abuser was a family member--most often a step-father or uncle). Forgiveness is essential to healing your heart. What he did was very wrong but when you hate him, you are reliving the pain every day that you live with hate in your heart. Often, it is easier to forgive when you don't see that person--because every time you see him, it reminds you of the hate and trauma that he inflicted on you. You shouldn't feel that you must associate with him because you have forgiven him--he hasn't earned the right to be in your company. To my thinking, he would have to admit what he did, that it was very, very wrong and ask for your forgiveness. To trust someone who doesn't fully take responsibility for what he did, is to risk further hurt/trauma and perhaps to one of your daughters as well. Even if he begged your forgiveness, you are still not required to pursue a relationship with him. The Psalmist said, "Guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life."

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greetings all. My beliefs on this parable may bother some, if not many, but I only seek to interpret and teach the word for what it says.

Specifically, I believe this parable teaches that those who do not walk in forgiveness will have their forgiveness from God rescinded. This interpretation seems patently obvious to me, based on the internal context.

But if you disagree, what is your interpretation of the meaning behind the unmerciful servant being given over to the tormentors for not forgiving his fellow servant? One argument I've found so far is that "if we do not forgive others, we are not forgiven," which I believe is intended to protect the Once saved, Always saved position by teaching that anyone who is truly saved will always forgive. But I'm not sure that bears out in real life. I think a Christian still has the ability to be unforgiving if they want to, and many are. Others profess that Jesus did not mean "tormentors" literally, or that this parable does not apply to Christians. But I don't think those interpretations hold water either.

Please share how you interpret this parable, and what you believe the words "servant" and "tormentors" are referring to in this parable.

I will post it in full below, and please don't let this thread become a contentious debate. I'd like to discuss this with some spiritual maturely if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for all replies.
Hidden In Him

21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? 22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven. 23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants. 24 And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents. 25 But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. 26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. 27 Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt. 28 But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest. 29 And his fellow servant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. 30 And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt. 31 So when his fellow servants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done. 32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: 33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellow servant, even as I had pity on thee? 34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. 35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses. (Matthew 18:21-35)

The king:
I see the King as Jesus. "He was moved with compassion, and FORGAVE the servent's debt. Clean slate?

The Servent: I see Christians here. We must extend the same grace and forgiveness that God has shown us.

His Debt: Well, ultimately his debt had to be paid off by him after all. As the King initially forgave yet, the servent did not. So then I guess we could also look at: Matthew 6:15 "But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."

Luke 12:47
his punishment: Hmm, torture :eek:. "And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself,
neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes."
I'd say the servant knew better, maybe did not think the King would find out hoe he treated the other servant? He angered God so, is he reaping what he sowed? He had initial forgiveness yet, he right away went out and sinned by not forgiving the other slaves debt? Maybe he too was thrown into prison and the prison keepers were cruel to debtors? And, how could he pay anything back if he were in prison anyhow??
2 Corinthians2:5-11
Here I see forgiveness should not be harsh, in certain circumstances.
I know this is not the meat you were looking for but, it is my contribution, lol.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Matthew 18:28, the servant who is unwilling to forgive his fellow servant such a small debt is presented as a repulsive, hypothetical situation. As unbelievable as this sounds, that is how unbelievable it would be for a genuine born again Christian, who has been forgiven such a huge debt, to be unforgiving of others with such a small debt. Notice that this "unforgiving servant" is called a "wicked" servant because no genuine born again Christian would have such an unforgiving heart. A Christian’s forgiveness of others is based on an understanding that we have been forgiven by God. Jesus warned that God cannot forgive us if we do not have humble and repentant hearts, which reveals the condition of our hearts by the way we treat others.

Those who are unforgiving from the heart in such small matters show they are unfit to receive God’s ultimate forgiveness. Failure to forgive in such a small matter shows that this person has not fully embraced God’s grace and forgiveness, hence the term, "wicked servant," which is not descriptive of a genuine believer.

The fact that this person is called a "servant" does not necessarily mean they were saved. The children of Israel were referred to as "the Lord’s servants," but they were not all saved.

In Leviticus 25:55, we read - For the children of Israel are servants to Me; they are My servants whom I brought out of the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

In Isaiah 43:10, we read - You are my witnesses, says the LORD, my servant, whom I have chosen..

To interpret the parable of the unforgiving servant as “losing salvation” would turn this into “type 2 works salvation,” which I cannot accept.