Parable Of The Unmerciful Servant

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KJV Revelation 3
Letter to the Church in Sardis
1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.
9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Only those who overcome are clothed... Those who do not overcome are blotted out from the book of life. I can only ascertain from this that our salvation is conditional, and our forgiving others is one of those conditions.

Brakelite: I just have to say a word here mate. My belief and not necessarily yours. It's what I believe in my heart and from scripture. Bear with me, it's fairly short…

(1Jn 5:4) For whatever is begotten of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world, our faith.
(1Jn 5:5) And who is he that overcomes the world, but he that believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

Overcomers are all those that believe Jesus is the Son of God and are saved in God’s way and not by own human free-will way. By his direct intervention and management and not our solo performance and management. These are the overcomers as spoken of here above in 1 John and to the remnants within each of the 7 'churches' in the Book of Revelation. Not all church goers are overcomers, as then, today and tomorrow. And as said here in this parable and others. The overcomers are all saved and are in the Kingdom of God today. All the servants except one.

The faith that sustains us to victory over the world is given as a gift by God from the time he saved us and restored us in our center being - our heart. It never comes from us else it is a false faith and therefore false associated works ensue. Christ’s spirit sustains this precious faith within us after our heart is baptized in Christ.

So how is salvation conditional again and then how is it based on our forgiveness of others as some sort of salvation litmus test criteria? I believe you have looked into this parable too much. The one servant was never an overcomer. His heart was evil and unrepentant, and he needed to get saved by God. His heart revealed his true nature as he judged and had a fellow servant by the neck and wanted his due.

Bless you, Kiwi mate

APAK

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
his Lord commanded him to be sold to who?

The imagery was of a man's children being sold into slavery to help pay for his debts, so the reference would be to either his literal or spiritual children potentially being given over to the enemy if he had his relationship with God severed, and died a premature death as judgment for his sins. Fathers were the heads of household back then, and their influence (whether positive or negative) and what happened to them spiritually had great bearing on the entire household during NT times.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The imagery was of a man's children being sold into slavery to help pay for his debts, so the reference would be to either his literal or spiritual children potentially being given over to the enemy if he had his relationship with God severed, and died a premature death as judgment for his sins. Fathers were the heads of household back then, and their influence (whether positive or negative) and what happened to them spiritually had great bearing on the entire household during NT times.

Like Joseph thrown into a pit by his brothers, sold into slavery, thrown into prison... Genesis 50:17-20
[17] So shall ye say unto Joseph, Forgive, I pray thee now, the trespass of thy brethren, and their sin; for they did unto thee evil: and now, we pray thee, forgive the trespass of the servants of the God of thy father. And Joseph wept when they spake unto him. [18] And his brethren also went and fell down before his face; and they said, Behold, we be thy servants. [19] And Joseph said unto them, Fear not: for am I in the place of God? [20] But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

“...but God meant it unto good.” Revelation 3:8-9 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name. [9] Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee. <<by the title of your thread what are they who are Jews (Spiritually) going to do when they which say ‘they are Jews, and are not, but do lie’ come to worship at their feet knowing the Lord loved them? Not disagreeing with the power of mercy...

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, from this post I understand your position a little better, and it's interesting. But again, I would need to see an entire breakdown of what you interpret each piece of symbolism to represent.

Colossians 3:12 KJV
[12] Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

Tecarta BibleIf you see this in a man, you can be certain that the the kingdom has come apon him. This is the power Paul’s looking for when he tells the members of Corinth the kingdom comes in power. The world without the body of Christ does not have this power. All it has is torment(all their life under bondage of the fear of death) after Pentecost and the in dwelling of the Spirit of God fear is no longer part of our life. This world diminishes, only then can we give mercy it is a fruit of the Spirit. Jesus was just simply giving insights to the current status of the world.

For some the Kingdom has come apon them. For others their still under the dog eat dog of this world. Totally devoid forgiveness.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Colossians 3:12 KJV
[12] Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

Tecarta BibleIf you see this in a man, you can be certain that the the kingdom has come apon him. This is the power Paul’s looking for when he tells the members of Corinth the kingdom comes in power. The world without the body of Christ does not have this power. All it has is torment(all their life under bondage of the fear of death) after Pentecost and the in dwelling of the Spirit of God feat is no longer part of our life. This world diminishes, only then can we give mercy it is a fruit of the Spirit. Jesus was just simply giving insights to the current status of the world.

For some the Kingdom has come apon them. For others their still under the dog eat dog of this world. Totally devoid forgiveness.
Great verse there; we need to be challenged by such verses continually.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It holds water in other respects, but the interpretation of tormentors as internal sufferings falls through on this point.
We should always be looking for the spiritual truths being illustrated in all parables (and the narrative of the Rich Man and Lazarus is NOT a parable illustrative of something else, but a revelation of the afterlife by Christ).

Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants. (Mt 18:23)

Since this unmerciful servant had been forgiven his huge sin debt, and was a servant of the king, it is evident that he illustrates any sinner saved by grace, who is meant to serve Christ the King. Just as Christ was not literally concerned with a billion dollar monetary debt, but the sin debt, we need to bring the spiritual reality into focus.

And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.

Since it does not say "delivered him to Hell", it is clear that this is not about loss of salvation, or cancellation of forgiveness of sins (which is not taught in Scripture) but about the torment which comes from an unforgiving spirit. Primarily the torment that God has not forgiven my present sins because I am holding grudges against others (particularly Christians). Thus we have this: So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should always be looking for the spiritual truths being illustrated in all parables (and the narrative of the Rich Man and Lazarus is NOT a parable illustrative of something else, but a revelation of the afterlife by Christ).

Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants. (Mt 18:23)

Since this unmerciful servant had been forgiven his huge sin debt, and was a servant of the king, it is evident that he illustrates any sinner saved by grace, who is to meant to serve Christ the King. Just as Christ was not literally concerned with a billion dollar monetary debt, but the sin debt, we need to bring the spiritual reality into focus.

And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.

Since it does not say "delivered him to Hell", it is clear that this is not about loss of salvation, or cancellation of forgiveness of sins (which is not taught in Scripture) but about the torment which comes from an unforgiving spirit. Primarily the torment that God has not forgiven my present sins because I am holding grudges against others (particularly Christians). Thus we have this: So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.
What you’ve stated here cannot happen until God himself has put it in our hearts. It’s not of this world.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Peter 3:13-15 KJV
[13] And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good? [14] But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye : and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled; [15] But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
Mrs Waiting shared this. Very clear who the tormentors are, i was one of them.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
1 Peter 3:13-15 KJV
[13] And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good? [14] But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye : and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled; [15] But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
Mrs Waiting shared this. Very clear who the tormentors are, i was one of them.
What a blessed testimony! :)

So she patiently waited for her testimony to take effect!

Reactions: Waiting on him