Parable Of The Wicked Husbandmen

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It reminds me of the song from Oklahoma, "Poor John is dead a candle light is end . . . "

That is certainly the case with this thread.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@brakelite , @Dave L , @Enoch111 , @Jay Ross.
Just noticed something. The following passage was quoted on another thread:

37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you that kill the prophets, and stone them which are sent unto you, how often would I have gathered your children together, even as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you would not! 38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. 39 For I say unto you, You shall not see me henceforth, till you shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord. (Matthew 23:37-39)

The words "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord" were a Messianic phrase, as suggested by how many were proclaiming the same thing to Jesus when He entered the city of Jerusalem in Matthew 21:9.

As was established previously in this thread, the vineyard in the Parable of the Wicked Husbandmen was Jerusalem, and here we have the Lord likewise saying directly to Jerusalem, "You shall not see me henceforth until you (i.e. the inhabitants of Jerusalem) shall say, 'Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.'"

Now for those who spiritualize literal Israel away, how do you explain this? He was speaking these words directly to literal, physical Jerusalem and its inhabitants, that they would not see Him again until His second coming. If He was spiritualizing here, then to speak these words directly to literal Jerusalem would be a lie, would they not?

B

brakelite

37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you that kill the prophets, and stone them which are sent unto you, how often would I have gathered your children together, even as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you would not! 38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. 39 For I say unto you, You shall not see me henceforth, till you shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord. (Matthew 23:37-39)

The words "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord" were a Messianic phrase, as suggested by how many were proclaiming the same thing to Jesus when He entered the city of Jerusalem in Matthew 21:9.

As was established previously in this thread, the vineyard in the Parable of the Wicked Husbandmen was Jerusalem, and here we have the Lord likewise saying directly to Jerusalem, "You shall not see me henceforth until you (i.e. the inhabitants of Jerusalem) shall say, 'Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.'"

Now for those who spiritualize literal Israel away, how do you explain this? He was speaking these words directly to literal, physical Jerusalem and its inhabitants, that they would not see Him again until His second coming. If He was spiritualizing here, then to speak these words directly to literal Jerusalem would be a lie, would they not?
Jesus was speaking to literal people, yes, the leaders and rulers of the city , the city's representatives, not necessarily to the city of Jerusalem itself. Here is the King of Kings, the Son of the Almighty, testifying to those who were condemning Him...rejecting His authority...maligning His perfect character...plotting to murder Him...coercing potential believers to spurn Him...promising that one day their lies, their deceit, their true hearts will be exposed and that they shall see the day of His coming. This is not an unreasonable prophecy, one that will bring shame and a bitter realisation of their wicked folly. How will this take place? I suspect only, because there is no Biblical explanation as to how God will accomplish this, that this can only take place when Jesus and the Father descend in the New Jerusalem at the end of the millennium. I cannot see them being especially resurrected at the second coming when Jesus takes His people home, and all the wicked are destroyed, for there is no resurrection promised at this time for the wicked...not even them. But yes, one day they will see Christ for who He truly is...and that confession will be forced from their lips, not willingly, but out of sheer Truth.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was speaking to literal people, yes, the leaders and rulers of the city , the city's representatives, not necessarily to the city of Jerusalem itself.

Seems selective. It has him telling only the leaders and rulers of the city that He would gather their children under His wings like a hen gathers her chicks.

B

brakelite

Seems selective. It has him telling only the leaders and rulers of the city that He would gather their children under His wings like a hen gathers her chicks.
Yes, perhaps. But didn't those leaders consider themselves the fathers of Israel? I get your point...but a city in the literal sense isn't going to confess anything right? That must be left up to the people that make up that city, and in this case specifically those who comprised its leadership...the Sanhedrin.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, perhaps. But didn't those leaders consider themselves the fathers of Israel? I get your point...but a city in the literal sense isn't going to confess anything right?

Well, some were indeed proclaiming "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord" in Matthew 21:9, but obviously they were in the minority or the Sanhedrin would have been moved with fear of the people. In this case they were not. I think it means the vast majority of the city were not ready to receive him as their Messiah yet.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"You shall not see me henceforth until you (i.e. the inhabitants of Jerusalem) shall say, 'Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.'"

Key there may be “you shall not see me henceforth until ...”

1 Corinthians 12:3
[3] Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

D

Dave L

Circumcision made one a physical Jew or Physical member of Israel. When Christ abolished it, he abolished the only means one had of becoming a physical Jew or Physical member of Israel. Only believing Israel remained. So there is no "spiritualizing" going on here.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Circumcision made one a physical Jew or Physical member of Israel. When Christ abolished it, he abolished the only means one had of becoming a physical Jew or Physical member of Israel. Only believing Israel remained. So there is no "spiritualizing" going on here.

Ha Ha! You are spiritualizing while simultaneously declaring there is no spiritualizing going on here! A Jew in the natural was first and foremost one whose genealogy made him a Jew. When they told Jesus "Abraham is our father," they didn't mean just spiritually. They prided themselves on being his literal descendants in the flesh.

Go tell some Jewish family Jews don't exist anymore. See what kind of reaction you get. :)

D

Dave L

Ha Ha! You are spiritualizing while simultaneously declaring there is no spiritualizing going on here! A Jew in the natural was first and foremost one whose genealogy made him a Jew. When they told Jesus "Abraham is our father," they didn't mean just spiritually. They prided themselves on being his literal descendants in the flesh.

Go tell a Jewish family that Jews don't exist anymore. See what kind of reaction you get. :)
Cultural Jews are not Biblical Jews. Study Jewish history in the bible, then state your claims.

D

Dave L

:rolleyes: Who said anything about cultural Jews? I'm just waking up, and I'm not ready for you yet. Go study your own Jewish history, LoL.
There are no biblical Jews apart from Christ. Judaism = Antichrist religion with it's own brand of non biblical Jews.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We're working out our relationship, LoL. I gotta remember to hold off on conversing with Dave until my pupils are fully opened.

:D I hear you. I like Dave, he has rubbed off on me with the delivery of his reply's. I do not seeing him answering nastiness in kind...I do not agree with some of his beliefs but, enough to view him as a brother ♥

Reactions: Dave L