Parables And Metaphors As Anchors

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
One of the things I find many brethren struggle with in Bible study, is the lack of attention given to parables and metaphors our Lord put in His Word that act as anchors for prophetic events.

The "as a thief in the night" is one such prophetic anchor our Lord and His Apostles gave. It is always tied with the time of Christ's coming and our gathering and the "day of the Lord" events.

The purpose for parables and metaphors in analogy within God's Word is to make events and their prophetic timing easier to understand, not more difficult. Understanding them immediately pulls many prophetic Scriptures together as a whole, so we can get the bigger picture. In that way, they act as anchors in God's Word, pivot points around which prophetic events are chained to.

Here's an example with our Lord's analogy for the goodman of the house to watch. See if you can pick up on the prophetic anchors He gave:

Matt 24:42-51
42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.

Our Lord warns us to watch because we don't know the hour of His coming. Then He declares that if the goodman had known in "what watch" to be watching for the thief, he wouldn't allow his house to be broken into.

What is this "watch" our Lord Jesus gave? In the Old Testament different watch periods are given, the beginning watch, the middle watch, and the morning watch (Lam.2:19; Judges 7:19; Ex.14:24). By the time of the Roman's control of Judea, there were 4 separate watch periods, and our Lord Jesus named them:

Mark 13:35-36
35 Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning:
36 Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping.
(KJV)

These watch periods began in the evening right after sunset and lasting into the next morning. In that example, our Lord says we don't know in which of those four watch periods He comes. Yet in Matt.24:43 He declared if you know in "what watch" the thief would come, you wouldn't let your house be broken up, pointing that we are given info about a certain 'watch' when our Lord comes.

Matt.24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

Our Lord will come in an hour most will least expect.

45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?
46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.

Those who stay on watch, giving their household "meat in due season", will be blessed when The Lord comes to find them doing that. Do you think that "meat in due season" might be another Scripture anchor point here? Might want to check out what that "meat in due season" is, starting near the end of Hebrews 5.

Matt.24:47 Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.
48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
(KJV)

Our Lord gives a very big IF condition with that. If the goodman of the house does not stay on watch, The Lord will come in a day when he's not watching, and in an hour that he is not aware of. Wait a minute. Didn't our Lord just say no man knows the day or hour of His coming? So why would He say that if we don't watch, that His coming will be in a day and an hour we're not aware of? Did our Lord Jesus give that meaning elsewhere, like His faithful servants should know something about that day and hour? Yes...

Rev 3:3
3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
(KJV)

We still do not know what specific day or hour that is today, but when the time gets closer, we can know, and better know. I'm going to give it to you; it's up to you whether you believe it or not...

Rev 11:7-8
7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.
8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.
(KJV)

Rev 11:11-15
11 And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.
12 And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, "Come up hither." And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them.
13 And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.
14 The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.
15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, "The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of His Christ; and He shall reign for ever and ever."
(KJV)

Once God's two witnesses are slain in Jerusalem, and their dead bodies left laying the street, they are resurrected after 3.5 days. And in that "same hour" a great earthquake happens there and the third woe sounds the last trump, or 7th Trumpet, signaling the time of Christ's coming. That's the 'day' and 'watch' and the 'hour' our Lord Jesus pointed to. That "great earthquake" is the earthquake of Zech.14 which will split the Mount of Olives in two, half to the north, and half to the south, forming a great valley running east to west.

Regardless if that 'watch' is the evening watch, or the midnight watch, or the cockcrow watch, or the morning watch, that is the specific 'watch' we are to stay sober watching for. That is the 'hour' which Christ will come "as a thief in the night". Who will that take by surprise "as a thief in the night"? It won't be a surprise for those on watch.

Matt.24:50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Notice the penalty our Lord Jesus gave for those who don't look for that watch and hour. They will be appointed a place with the hypocrites, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Do you think that weeping and gnashing of teeth might be an anchor point to other prophetic Scripture? Might want to check that out too.

Charlie

Feb 12, 2011
One of the things I find many brethren struggle with in Bible study, is the lack of attention given to parables and metaphors our Lord put in His Word that act as anchors for prophetic events.

The "as a thief in the night" is one such prophetic anchor our Lord and His Apostles gave. It is always tied with the time of Christ's coming and our gathering and the "day of the Lord" events.

Charlie -- Sorry, Veteran, I disagree. The 'thief in the night' expression is also applied to the coming of the 'day of God'.

That will be a day, at the end of the shortened 45 days of Dan. 12:12

Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.

That refers to 1,335 days, after the mid point of the 7 years, or after 1,290 days.

The day which no one knows, except God, for He will shorten those days, Matt.24:22

And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

'No flesh' of animals, fish and fowl.

God Bless you. Charlie.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

Charlie -- Sorry, Veteran, I disagree. The 'thief in the night' expression is also applied to the coming of the 'day of God'.

That will be a day, at the end of the shortened 45 days of Dan. 12:12

Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.

That refers to 1,335 days, after the mid point of the 7 years, or after 1,290 days.

The day which no one knows, except God, for He will shorten those days, Matt.24:22

And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

'No flesh' of animals, fish and fowl.

God Bless you. Charlie.

Hi Charlie,

If you'll look at 2 Peter 3, you'll find the heavens passing away and the elements melting with fervent heat are given with both "the day of the Lord" and "day of God" markers:

2 Pet 3:10-12
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
(KJV)

I realize some see those as separate times, but Peter didn't show that.

Rev 16:14-16
14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.
15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.
16 And He gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
(KJV)

Christ also showed that day of God Almighty comes with the day of The Lord events, which is on the 7th Vial. The 7th Trumpet and 7th Vial happen at the same time.

I agree our Lord Jesus said He shortened the tribulation time for the sake of His elect. But He didn't say exactly what to. I think it is shortened to the time of stinging upon the deceived. So I see the Dan.12 marker of 1335 days as a timeline structure now, representing His saints remaining faithful waiting and watching for His coming like He said to do.

[/font]

Charlie

Feb 12, 2011

Hi Charlie,

If you'll look at 2 Peter 3, you'll find the heavens passing away and the elements melting with fervent heat are given with both "the day of the Lord" and "day of God" markers:

2 Pet 3:10-12
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
(KJV)

I realize some see those as separate times, but Peter didn't show that.

Charlie -- The word translated 'Lord, in verse 10 is Strong's number 2792,'kurios' which can be understood to mean 'God, Lord, master, Sir but the word translated God, in verse 12, is the Strong's number 2316, 'theos' - God, the supreme being.

Therefore, in 2792 the words 'Lord' and 'God' are interchangeable but not in 2316.

Rev 16:16 For they are the spirits of devils
, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.
15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.
16 And He gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
(KJV)

Christ also showed that day of God Almighty comes with the day of The Lord events, which is on the 7th Vial. The 7th Trumpet and 7th Vial happen at the same time.

Charlie -- Sorry, Veteran but I must disagree. The 7th vial will mark the end of the 'wrath of God' that will take place during the last 45 days but the 7th trumpet will mark the end of the 1,000 years.

I agree our Lord Jesus said He shortened the tribulation time for the sake of His elect. But He didn't say exactly what to. I think it is shortened to the time of stinging upon the deceived. So I see the Dan.12 marker of 1335 days as a timeline structure now, representing His saints remaining faithful waiting and watching for His coming like He said to do.

Charlie -- That cannot be. Dan 12:11-12 begin with the words "And fro,"m the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away and the abominatioin that maketh desolate set up ' , that means the 1,290 days and the 1,335 days will come after the midpoint of the 7 years.

The 30 days, I believe, will apply to Rev. 14 and the 45 days to Rev. 15 and 16.

The 45 days will be the days of the wrath of God which will be shortened.

God Bless you. Charlie

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

Charlie -- The word translated 'Lord, in verse 10 is Strong's number 2792,'kurios' which can be understood to mean 'God, Lord, master, Sir but the word translated God, in verse 12, is the Strong's number 2316, 'theos' - God, the supreme being.

Therefore, in 2792 the words 'Lord' and 'God' are interchangeable but not in 2316.

But did you notice the 2 Pet.3 heavens passing away and the elements melting with fervent heat is an event tied to both? That's what proves that Peter was speaking of the same event in both passages. In 2 Thess.2:2, the KJV rendered 'kurios' as "Christ" in the "day of Christ" phrase.

Charlie -- Sorry, Veteran but I must disagree. The 7th vial will mark the end of the 'wrath of God' that will take place during the last 45 days but the 7th trumpet will mark the end of the 1,000 years.

If you'll look closely in Rev.16, in between the 6th and 7th Vials, you'll note Christ gives us a warning of His coming "as a thief" in between those vials. That warning is to His servants to keep their garments lest we appear in spiritually naked and in shame. That's linked to His warning about the ten virgins, five being foolish and five wise. That "as a thief" metaphor is linked to the "day of the Lord" event per 1 Thess.5 and 2 Pet.3:10.

And then on the 7th Vial, He gathers the nations to battle on "the day of the LORD", which is called "Armageddon" there. We know it's "the day of the LORD" event, because that's the time when He will gather the nations around Jerusalem to pour out His cup of wrath upon them, per Zechariah 14:1-4. That is the battle on that great day, and it's the same event Peter was talking about with the elements (man's works) burning with fervent heat.

Charlie -- That cannot be. Dan 12:11-12 begin with the words "And fro,"m the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away and the abominatioin that maketh desolate set up ' , that means the 1,290 days and the 1,335 days will come after the midpoint of the 7 years.

The 30 days, I believe, will apply to Rev. 14 and the 45 days to Rev. 15 and 16.

The 45 days will be the days of the wrath of God which will be shortened.

God Bless you. Charlie

Christ said in Matt.24 He shortened the specific time of persecution upon His elect. That time is about the "great tribulation" He also mentioned there, not the time of God's wrath upon the wicked. God's cup of wrath is poured out upon the wicked at Christ's coming, which is after the tribulation upon the saints. See Isaiah 13.

Charlie

Feb 12, 2011

But did you notice the 2 Pet.3 heavens passing away and the elements melting with fervent heat is an event tied to both? That's what proves that Peter was speaking of the same event in both passages. In 2 Thess.2:2, the KJV rendered 'kurios' as "Christ" in the "day of Christ" phrase.

If you'll look closely in Rev.16, in between the 6th and 7th Vials, you'll note Christ gives us a warning of His coming "as a thief" in between those vials. That warning is to His servants to keep their garments lest we appear in spiritually naked and in shame. That's linked to His warning about the ten virgins, five being foolish and five wise. That "as a thief" metaphor is linked to the "day of the Lord" event per 1 Thess.5 and 2 Pet.3:10.

And then on the 7th Vial, He gathers the nations to battle on "the day of the LORD", which is called "Armageddon" there. We know it's "the day of the LORD" event, because that's the time when He will gather the nations around Jerusalem to pour out His cup of wrath upon them, per Zechariah 14:1-4. That is the battle on that great day, and it's the same event Peter was talking about with the elements (man's works) burning with fervent heat.

Christ said in Matt.24 He shortened the specific time of persecution upon His elect. That time is about the "great tribulation" He also mentioned there, not the time of God's wrath upon the wicked. God's cup of wrath is poured out upon the wicked at Christ's coming, which is after the tribulation upon the saints. See Isaiah 13.

Dear Veteran -- Thank you for your post. It is obvious we are arguing for the sake of arguing for we are both adamant about what we believe of the resurrection/rapture and of the events of end times.

Therefore, my friend, I will not respond to further discussion with you on these subjects.

God Bless you. Charlie

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

Dear Veteran -- Thank you for your post. It is obvious we are arguing for the sake of arguing for we are both adamant about what we believe of the resurrection/rapture and of the events of end times.

Therefore, my friend, I will not respond to further discussion with you on these subjects.

God Bless you. Charlie

I can respect that. But it doesn't mean I won't post in opposition with Scripture for the sake of other brethren.

May God bless.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

Something disturbing in that post is the claim that the 7th Trumpet marks the end of the 1,000 years, which I must assume is applied to Christ's "thousand years" reign of Rev.20.

Rev 20:1-7
1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.
7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
(KJV)

Christ's "thousand years" reign with His elect priests and kings doesn't even begin... until the 7th Trumpet has sounded. Rev.11 reveals on the 7th trumpet - 3rd woe Christ's future reign will begin, all the kingdoms of this world becoming His, literally. Charlie's statement wrongly assumes that the thousand years ends on the 7th Trumpet.