Participation in Jesus' sacrifice

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

arunangelo

Aug 22, 2009
Omaha
surrendersacrifice.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[SIZE=medium]The body and blood that Jesus offered to the Father at the Last Supper was his body and blood which he sacrificed on the cross (Luke 22:19-20, John 6:51). Therefore the event at the Last Supper was part the event when Jesus sacrificed his life on the cross. To participate at the Lords Supper, therefore is to participate in Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross (1 Corinthians 10:16). Furthermore, when we receive the body and blood we are accepting his sacrificial life. Therefore, if we receive his body and blood in a humble and contrite spirit we allow Jesus, whom we received, to change us from a life of selfishness and sin to that of love and selflessness. This makes our life a pleasing offering and worship to the Father. Furthermore the reception of his body and blood brings us in personal relationship with him. Jesus asks us to do this as often as possible so that his spirit will always stay alive in our hearts (Luke 22:19). [/SIZE]

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
1 Corinthians 11:23-29 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: 24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. 27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

It is important to be sure that we are ready to partake of communion. While we do show the Lord's death til He comes, we ought to be sure that we are ready to partake of communion. We are admonished to examine ourselves. All sins prior to communion should be confessed to God. All wrongs we have done to our brethren should be righted. We are not to eat and drink unworthily, of so great a service. Because many people do do this unworthily...

1 Corinthians 11:30-32 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

We ought to be prepared for communion. Now, part of the preparation of communion is missing from most of the churches in the world. It was what Jesus instituted to happen before communion was to take place. This is the washing of each others feet.

John 13:1-17 Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end. 2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him; 3 Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God; 4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. 5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded. 6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet? 7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter. 8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me. 9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head. 10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all. 11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean. 12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? 13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. 14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. 16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. 17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

After the washing of the feet, they were made "clean". The washing was a type of higher cleansing that Jesus was doing unto the disciples. Not even the disciples were ready to partake in communion at this point. They would not be ready until their hearts had been washed clean from all alienation, all animosity towards one another. Their hearts had to be changed about one another, and this is brought about during the ordinance of foot washing.

This ordinance of humility established by Jesus is missing from most churches. We are to stoop down, and wash each others feet, just before communion. Striving for the highest place has no place among the Christian heart. We are to humble ourselves, and become servants of all. We are to be selfless, and not selfish.

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus does not just want us to take the Last Supper but also be fully devoted to Him as He was to the Father.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
arunangelo said:
[SIZE=medium]The body and blood that Jesus offered to the Father at the Last Supper was his body and blood which he sacrificed on the cross (Luke 22:19-20, John 6:51). Therefore the event at the Last Supper was part the event when Jesus sacrificed his life on the cross. To participate at the Lords Supper, therefore is to participate in Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross (1 Corinthians 10:16). Furthermore, when we receive the body and blood we are accepting his sacrificial life. Therefore, if we receive his body and blood in a humble and contrite spirit we allow Jesus, whom we received, to change us from a life of selfishness and sin to that of love and selflessness. This makes our life a pleasing offering and worship to the Father. Furthermore the reception of his body and blood brings us in personal relationship with him. Jesus asks us to do this as often as possible so that his spirit will always stay alive in our hearts (Luke 22:19).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Personally I don’t believe Jesus told us why he wanted us to eat his body, and drink his blood other than if one does not then he or she will not have any life in them.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]So it does not matter what the Eucharist represents, it just matters if one obey Jesus or not. Jesus said to eat his body and drink his blood, then do what he tell one to do.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Everything we assume the Eucharist means, is just that an assumption. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Obedience is what brings one to a personal relationship with Jesus.[/SIZE]

(John 14: 23) “Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”

[SIZE=16pt](John 14:21) “anybody who receives my commandments and keeps them will be one who loves me; and anybody who loves me will be loved by My Father, and I shall love him and show myself to him.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 3:5-6) “Now you know that he appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen him or known him.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]By the way sinning is of the devil, and God is not going to make a home in one who is of the devil.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 3:8) “He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work” [/SIZE]

Doxiemom

Oct 17, 2014
Is it not possible that for some Christians, a public act within a church service of humility-as you put it- is not necessary. For they are, in a continuous way, searching within themselves for all they have done or failed to do, that is sin. Therefore, they are ready to partake Holy Communion with a joy within their souls.

And, it is also possible, that those churches which are liturgical, that not all parishioners even give a serious thought about their sins, and still approach it in an almost robotic way.

And, of course, it goes without doubt, that the opposite is fact in all church services or Mass.

I think that the most important thing to remember is that Communion is a Holy Time, an intimate time, with our beloved Christ.

Holy Communion was not a suggestion; it was a commandment ......."Do this in rememberence of Me". Therefore, it should be held as a Holy Time, hopefully fully respected, in all its forms by those within and without any particular church.

Julabee Jones

Oct 27, 2014
If then, we as Christians are actually being participants, being active parties to and in the death of our Lord on the cross;

Are we any the less participants in His burial and resurrection?

That just as the Lord's supper is effective, efficacious and active in us (being as real as our faith, our salvation, our healings)...Even so our baptisms are more than theory, more than obedience, but are actually effecting something real and lasting in us?

God Bless you,

I am and remain sincerely yours in Jesus Christ,

Julabee Jones