Pastor says Government should kill gays?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jul 6, 2011
Aspen2,
I have already explained why I chop your sentences up, it is because you do not respond directly to what I write but introduce new words and concepts that I also challenge.
Let me clarify. I can love a man, even as a close and best friend and live with him without any sexual activity or desire for each other. So of the traits you gave the only one that is different for homoSEXual relations is SEXual.
So you are not simply describing traits of all intimate relationships, and thus sexual activity with the sex/gender is the specific trait of the relationship that is described homosexual or heterosexual.

And you are using the same lgbt arguments, I cant help that you dont like it.

If we are to witness the gospel of salvation out of love for people then how can we not be concerned about their sin that leads to death and the truth that can save them?

Do you trust God and His word about what is correct or animals?
Apparently, animals have decided waht is anatomically dysfunctional is normal, as well.....
Is it worth giving such a ludicrously insane statement even a response? If someone has lost touch with reality then how can showing them reality make them realise?
What is anatomically dysfunctional is decided by the function of the anatomy, not a minority of animals who act anatomically dysfunctionally.

Now, the scripture says it is a renewing of ones mind according to God’s will. So if a mind is renewed it is changed, something cannot by definition be renewed from the state it was in, to the same state it was in. So in that respect one doesn’t ‘leave ones brain behind’ but one leaves ones own views and reasoning behind.

my understanding of Paul's description of a renewing of the mind. Sharing the opinions of ancient Jewish and Christian people and calling it God' opinion is not going to save us - a renewing of the mind has to do with loving God and neighbor, not opinions on doctrine.
This to me is a contradiction. Paul wrote that he preached what he received from the risen Lord, so and that it is what our minds should be renewed to. What are you referring to with ‘opinions of ancient Jewish and Christian people and calling it God'?

Which means nothing.
It means every bit as much as your statement, if one doctor/philosphist/scientist believes the Biblical testimony and another doesnt, what benchmark do you use to sasy who is right?
My point is that conservative Christianity places a stumbling block in the way of people who exercise their God given ability to think about the world they live in.
My point is the opposite. The Christian faith doesn’t do anything of the sort as people use their God given ability to think about the world they live in, and either decide the word of God is the truth or not.

Instead of sticking to the entire point of Christianity - to love God and neighbor,
But loving God includes accepting his word rather than the opposite in preference to ones own reasoning.
An example of this is homosexual practice. It is dysfunctional for reproduction according to anatomy, and against what God’s word says He created, yet people think because some want to have such relationships, it should be treated as normal. They then excuse it in deception by implying this is merely ancient cultural understanding.

Yep - that verse has been used to justify all kinds of ignorance, antisocial behavior, and idiocy within conservative Christian circles.
The eminent scientist I had in mind was Richard Dawkins, he is an atheist and not within 'conservative Christian circles'. Or were you once again addressing your own idea rather than what I wrote?
I see you have really attempted to reach out for a mainstream scientific opinion for you example - gold star for you!
I think the fact that a man had a mother by nature of the egg an his DNA is mainstream scientific opinion. I don’t think such an observable reality can justiably be called bigoted from a scientific pov.
It is your Modern Western mindset that tells you that.
Nope, millions have believed the same Biblical testimony for over 2,000 years, there have also been many who have not. Nothing to do with any modern mindset, when I read the Bible which was written about 2000 years ago and read preachers down the centuries I can see it definitely isn’t just a modern mindset.
For the first 1700 years of Christianity the miracles in the Bible were viewed in the light of God's sovereignty, not His character.
You might like to expand on that with examples please.
Today, we spend so much time trying to fit the Bible into a scientific framework,
You might but I don’t. Science can help us understand the mechanisms of creation as well as pose some things which are contradictory,. but the issue is usually not science at all but a philosophy of science. .
The most important question regarding the Bible is not 'is it true?' Instead, it is 'will it transform?'
How? Jesus said if we do what He teaches we will know the truth and the truth will set us free. He doesn’t say to reason and rationalise what he teaches with science, and by my logic, being set free is a tranformation by definition.
Christians are not always right about their interpretation of the scriptures. Have you seen the demon-like horns on all the Biblical figures in the Sistine Chapel? The word 'halo' used to be translated as 'horns' - pretty embarrassing, but it isn't going to send Michaelangelo to Hell.
Doesn’t answer my question. Sure people can have different interpretations of scripture but only if they are interpreting what scripture says in context, otherwise it is not 'interpretation' but denial. If you say the word halo use to be translated in a Bible version as horns please show. And please also show where belief in horns or halo is referred to regarding salvation.
Depends on what you think is important.
No it doesnt. What you mean is entirely different from what I think is important. You tell me what you mean and I’ll then tell you whether I think it is important.
I am only interested in the relationship between humanity and God, spouse, neighbor, and self described in the Bible - all the rest is included to enhance the story.
So what, I asked you for an example. The fact is Jesus did not abolish any of, but fulfilled all of the OT. So if you meant by the "ancient Hebrew scriptures" the OT, then why did you call what Jesus fulfilled arcane and does it matter whether you think they are arcane or not?
Yes - it tells us the real story of ourselves and our relationship with each other, and God. When modern science contradicts the ancient understanding of how the world works - I go with the evidence
Do you? I suspect not. Liberalism claims to but phrases the claim in deception. Which evidence do you go with, the scripture as imparted by God, or science? Could a God who by His word created the universe stop the earth rotating for a time? DO you go with the scripture or scientific evidence which quite reasonably cant explain or propose that? Because if you don’t believe what Jesus says about Noah then you don’t actually accept Jesus is the truth, you only believe He is the truth according to your own reasoning and experience, which is contrary to Christ’s NT about faith in Him
False dichotomy. Truth is truth.
No, Christ does say the Spirit guides in truth by reminding what Christ said and did, so it isnt a false dichotomy for a believer who has faith in Christ. It is however a false dichotomy for one who does not have faith in Christ therefore. The subject was Noah, not the fossil record, remember that not all geologists think that the fossil record disproves Noah and the flood. You have decided to side with the views of scientists who lack faith in God rather than scientists who have faith in God.
In case you ask me to provide proof that you are questioning my Christianity - here it is. The suggestion is that if I am not willing to take on the conservative Christian mindset (God's opinion) than I too, may not be a Christian.
So it was a general comment about what the view is against what the scripture says. However if the scripture is what you call "conservative Christian mindset" then yes "conservative Christian mindset" is the Christian faith and ‘conservative Christian mindset’ is what false teaching call it to deceive people into thinking its the same thing.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
So if you meant by the "ancient Hebrew scriptures" the OT, then why did you call what Jesus fulfilled arcane and does it matter whether you think they are arcane or not?
Exactly. Coming to appreciate what Jesus did by His life and death (and resurrection) is a bit like training to be a wine taster, eventually learning to recognise a good one.

if the scripture is what you call "conservative Christian mindset" then yes "conservative Christian mindset" is the Christian faith and ‘conservative Christian mindset’ is what false teaching call it to deceive people into thinking its the same thing.
Sometimes the difference between truth and lie appears to be a matter of interpretation. It's only when they are both held to the same standard (the whole counsel of God), that the tangent - or tangle - can be called what it is.

Jul 6, 2011
Hi dragonfly.
Yes. Amen.

Interestingly the Pharisees at one point said Jesus was driving out spirits by the devil. Thats calling the light, the dark. In the world, good is often called evil, and evil is often called good.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BMS said,

I have already explained why I chop your sentences up, it is because you do not respond directly to what I write but introduce new words and concepts that I also challenge.

I am responding to your statements directly - I am simply not giving you the answer you are fishing for. If you are really interested in what I have to say rather than the preconceived answer you are looking for me to say, you would recognize this. Ever had a Mormon come to your door and ask you if God is a God of confusion? They are looking for the answer 'no' and then they say 'well, how can He be a Trinity? It's so confusing!' No only can the average Christian anticipate the entrapment, but the logic itself is infantile. That is how I feel when I read some of you posts - like I am being lead down a well worn path and no other reply, but the one you are looking for will satisfy you. The fact is, you may as well talk with yourself if you are not interested in my opinion.

Let me clarify. I can love a man, even as a close and best friend and live with him without any sexual activity or desire for each other. So of the traits you gave the only one that is different for homoSEXual relations is SEXual.

This is not logical. You can say it as many times as you like - it is still not logical. You are describing the difference between an intimate friendship and a sexual relationship - it does not matter if it is same sex or opposite sexes. Is the difference between a boy loving a girl without engaging in sex and a relationship with sex make the relationship heteroSEXUAL? No! All intimate relationships between opposite sexes are heterosexual relationships.

Heterosexuality is romantic or sexual attraction or behavior between persons of opposite sex or gender in the gender binary. As a sexual orientation, heterosexuality refers to "an enduring pattern of or disposition to experience sexual, affectionate, physical or romantic attractions to persons of the opposite sex"; it also refers to "an individual’s sense of personal and social identity based on those attractions, behaviors expressing them, and membership in a community of others who share them".[sup][1][/sup][sup][2][/sup] The term is usually applied to humans, but it is also observed in all mammals.

So you are not simply describing traits of all intimate relationships, and thus sexual activity with the sex/gender is the specific trait of the relationship that is described homosexual or heterosexual.

See definition above.

And you are using the same lgbt arguments, I cant help that you dont like it.

I am not complaining or denying it - like I said before, if I happen to be noticing the same problems in conservative christian apologetics that LGBT activists have pointed out, it just means the mistakes must be really obvious lapses in reason. Why would I be upset that other people have also noticed how unreasonable conservative christians can be when it comes to enforcing their understanding of God's laws on nonbelievers?

If we are to witness the gospel of salvation out of love for people then how can we not be concerned about their sin that leads to death and the truth that can save them?

Fishing. The answer you are looking for is 'No! Of course not! What kind of a so-called Christian would be so unloving to not even care if people were damned because they were not told the truth!'

Now, reality. Changing people's behavior through legislation does not lead them to Christ. Surprise! People are not saved because they follow laws they do not believe in, which stem from a god they do not believe in.

Instead of creating more laws like the Pharisees did for the Jews (even they were not legalistic enough to try an impose them on nonJewish people), we are called to love our neighbors through intimate relationships. Witnessing the deepest relationship you have by engaging in relationships.

Do you trust God and His word about what is correct or animals?

Fishing. The answer you are looking for is 'No! Don't be preposterous!

Now, reality. I did not bring up the issue of animal same-sex behavior to justify homosexuality in human beings. I brought it up to show how ridiculous your reasoning is regarding which parts fit and which parts do not fit. Your reasoning is stupid. Obviously, the idea that God hates homosexuality because homosexuals misuse the parts He design is just stupid. It is so stupid that not only humans find pleasure in same sex relationships - even animals do.

Is it worth giving such a ludicrously insane statement even a response? If someone has lost touch with reality then how can showing them reality make them realise?

I cannot help you with your comprehension skills, BMS.

What is anatomically dysfunctional is decided by the function of the anatomy, not a minority of animals who act anatomically dysfunctionally.

Apparently not, because most species of mammals include members who engage in homosexual behavior.

Now, the scripture says it is a renewing of ones mind according to God’s will. So if a mind is renewed it is changed, something cannot by definition be renewed from the state it was in, to the same state it was in. So in that respect one doesn’t ‘leave ones brain behind’ but one leaves ones own views and reasoning behind.

1. Our minds are certainly renewed. Rather than spending all our time making irrelevant judgments based on our likes and dislikes, we are now able to focus on serving other people. It is a huge shift in mindset.

2. Believing that we need to adopt a primitive mindset about the way the world works because the primitive people who wrote the Bible held these views is missing the forest for the trees. It is also demanding people to be anti-intellectual.

3. We were created to love, not make judgments about Good and Evil - that is what Adam and Eve forgot when they decided to eat from the Tree. Jesus told us not to judge because we are not able to do it apart from God.

This to me is a contradiction. Paul wrote that he preached what he received from the risen Lord, so and that it is what our minds should be renewed to. What are you referring to with ‘opinions of ancient Jewish and Christian people and calling it God'?

Paul preached love. A renewing of the mind or perception of the World - not customs of primitive people. You are getting caught up in the details and missing the larger point. It is not important to believe with a scientific mindset that the world was created in 6 days - it is important to see the larger picture - God lovingly and purposely made His creation Good and made us in His own image - therefore, He must be a Good God and He must care about His creation.

It means every bit as much as your statement, if one doctor/philosphist/scientist believes the Biblical testimony and another doesnt, what benchmark do you use to sasy who is right?

There you go again! Who is RIGHT? I must know the difference between RIGHT and WRONG and I must judge it. God is the only one who is right, regardless of our opinion. Humans form opinions about God's truth. Nothing a person says or thinks is going to change what is right. All we can do is form an opinion about the truth. IMO our opinions mean very little - they might provide us some cheap entertainment, but if you are spending all your time determining what has already been determined by God you are wasting a lot of time that you could be spending loving other people

So to answer your somewhat, irrelevant question. God determines which scientist is factually correct. We may not know the results until Judgment Day and by then, we could probably care less.

My point is the opposite. The Christian faith doesn’t do anything of the sort as people use their God given ability to think about the world they live in, and either decide the word of God is the truth or not.

Intelligent people were given their intellect by God. It is God who allows them to make important discoveries about His creation. All of these things are good. However, a scientist also needs a renewing of his mind - he needs to discover God's love through His Word and prayer so that he can also spend his time loving others. When he is asked to throw out his life's work and embrace ideas about the world that were held by humans who knew nothing about disease, the environment, creation, or a modern sense of how the world works - it is most certainly a stumbling block and that is putting it mildly.

But loving God includes accepting his word rather than the opposite in preference to ones own reasoning.
An example of this is homosexual practice. It is dysfunctional for reproduction according to anatomy, and against what God’s word says He created, yet people think because some want to have such relationships, it should be treated as normal. They then excuse it in deception by implying this is merely ancient cultural understanding.

People without God tend to be self centered and therefore hedonistic - God renews our minds by refocusing us on to Him and on other people. Nonbelievers who are engaged in the homosexual lifestyle are living normally for them. It is normal for a sinner to live in sin. Why should they even bother to excuse their behavior?

The eminent scientist I had in mind was Richard Dawkins, he is an atheist and not within 'conservative Christian circles'. Or were you once again addressing your own idea rather than what I wrote?

I was talking about conservative christians defending their anti-intellectualism by quoting verses, which describe God's wisdom as foolishness in the world's eyes. In reality, those verses are actually talking about how the world views love in the face of pain, death, and sin - it is not a defense for being stupid. And Dawkins is a perfect example of a brilliant man who is totally missing the point of Christianity. Rather than seeing Christianity as a transformation of the heart, he has been listening to literalists that demand him to throw out all kinds of truth and substitute it with stories written to exemplify God's omnipotence, instead of truth about how the world works. So, now instead of humbling his heart to God, he is on a crusade to prove that Christianity and all religion is actually evil because it demands us to live in denial about the world and has a tradition of suppressing human thought and killing those who believe differently.

I think the fact that a man had a mother by nature of the egg an his DNA is mainstream scientific opinion. I don’t think such an observable reality can justiably be called bigoted from a scientific pov.

But you were trying to claim that many scientists who are Christian reject evolution. It is simply not true. Most scientists - all scientists except creation scientists accept evolution as our best theory for the moment for the progression of life on Earth. Of course, it is just a theory, but all secular science is based on that theory.

Nope, millions have believed the same Biblical testimony for over 2,000 years, there have also been many who have not. Nothing to do with any modern mindset, when I read the Bible which was written about 2000 years ago and read preachers down the centuries I can see it definitely isn’t just a modern mindset.

You really need to take a class on Western Civilization and thought. You are failing to recognize how the Western mind has changed the way it views the Bible and reality over the past 3,000 years.

You might like to expand on that with examples please.

The entire progression of thought in the OT and NT from examples of God's omnipotence to a focus on love is my example. Primitive people responded to a god that was powerful and performed miracles - Jesus pointed this out. It is a wicked generation that demands miracles. As history progressed we have switched our focus from demanding a powerful God, to demanding God to give us wealth and power and especially knowledge. We want answers and proof of His existance. All He wants is transformation of our selfish hearts.

You might but I don’t. Science can help us understand the mechanisms of creation as well as pose some things which are contradictory,. but the issue is usually not science at all but a philosophy of science. .

Actually, this is exactly what you are trying to do. You are not happy with taking the Bible for what it is, a biography of the human relationship with God - instead you have to make it a substitute for everything - science, history, archaeology; all areas of human thought are covered by the Bible, in your mind, and anything that contradicts the Bible has to be wrong. Unfortunately, Protestantism is dialectic - you guys get your whole identity from opposition. This is why you have to spend all your time trumpeting that you are not Catholic, humanist, atheist. agnostic, worldly, whatever - as soon as you stop opposing someone or some idea, you cease to exist.

How? Jesus said if we do what He teaches we will know the truth and the truth will set us free. He doesn't say to reason and rationalise what he teaches with science, and by my logic, being set free is a transformation by definition.

The question is 'free from what'? Thought? NO! Free from selfishness! Free from brokenness! The truth is that we are not alone and separated from God! We no longer have to rely on ourselves like orphans - we have a Father who loves us and cares for our needs! So now, instead of trying to make it on our own - sin, we can look outwards - focusing on loving Him and our neighbor - that is Christianity, plain and simple. There is nothing within Christianity that dictates what we are supposed to know about how creation works or our opinions about truth - this tendency is actually part of the Fall. Instead of using our brains to survive like orphans or judge truth like Adam and Eve, we are called to love one another. However, there is nothing wrong with observing how creation works and documenting patterns - this is science. Our observations about the world are not in opposition to God.

Doesn’t answer my question. Sure people can have different interpretations of scripture but only if they are interpreting what scripture says in context, otherwise it is not 'interpretation' but denial. If you say the word halo use to be translated in a Bible version as horns please show. And please also show where belief in horns or halo is referred to regarding salvation.

Here is your original question: "But neither the evidence nor God’s word changes according to the interpretation, the interpretation is still based on the evidence or the word right?" Which you answered for yourself and then asked me to agree with you. I do agree that there is absolute truth, which is what you are really asking me to agree with you about; I disagree that we can always gain access to absolute truth. Sure, interpretations are based on evidence or the Bible, but often we have to extrapolate in order to provide a meaningful interpretation, which is no guarantee that it is going to be a 100% accurate refection of the absolute truth we are attempting to discover. I think you are placing sinister intentions on interpreters of evidence or the Bible when you use the word 'denial'. I think most people have good intentions. It is easy enough to let bias become apart of any interpretation without purposely trying to deny part of the facts uncovered.

Finally, the misinterpretation of the word 'halo' as 'horns' was found in the only latin translation accepted at the time - the Vulgate. It was an innocent mistake, but it was an an error that was illustrated for the world to see on the walls and ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. I am sure many Christian scholars and theologians defended the 'holy horns' for a century before they were painted by Michelangelo. And no it has nothing to do with salvation - our knowledge of doctrine does not save us. Only a transformation of the mind and heart by Christ will save us. But, this does not mean that we are free from mistakes when we try to access absolute truth.

No it doesnt. What you mean is entirely different from what I think is important. You tell me what you mean and I’ll then tell you whether I think it is important.

Isn't that the problem? You are missing what is really important! The people and their relationships are the only things that are important in the Bible - everything else is scenery.

So what, I asked you for an example. The fact is Jesus did not abolish any of, but fulfilled all of the OT. So if you meant by the "ancient Hebrew scriptures" the OT, then why did you call what Jesus fulfilled arcane and does it matter whether you think they are arcane or not?

Huh??? Jesus did fulfill the law. Of course He did! The Father reached out to us in the OT, with His sovereignty (omnipotence and authority) and law, which were the requirements for us to fulfill in order to be back in relationship with Him. Of course, it was not possible for us to fulfill His law because we would have to stop focusing on ourselves (original sin) and focus back on Him. God knew this, but needed to reintroduce Himself to us and remind us what we once were and what might be possible for us again - sort of like we were kings in exile. Jesus came to us to fulfill the law - He loved the Father perfectly and He loved His neighbor - He is our perfect example of unfallen man - and it was then that we discovered that it took God, Himself, to fulfill and respond to God's perfect law, which is total focus on the Father. AMEN

Do you? I suspect not. Liberalism claims to but phrases the claim in deception. Which evidence do you go with, the scripture as imparted by God, or science? Could a God who by His word created the universe stop the earth rotating for a time? DO you go with the scripture or scientific evidence which quite reasonably cant explain or propose that? Because if you don’t believe what Jesus says about Noah then you don’t actually accept Jesus is the truth, you only believe He is the truth according to your own reasoning and experience, which is contrary to Christ’s NT about faith in Him

This needs to be cleared up. I go to God daily in prayer and I read the scriptures as the foundation of my life. Yet, if I become sick, I go to the doctor. If I am confused about a scientific term and need the latest research to help me make sense of my world, I go to a current scientific journal. These are not examples of a lack of faith - it is the ability God gave me to use my brain. People in the Bible didn't even know that germs existed - why would I go to the Bible to find out how to cure a case of strep throat? The people in the Bible thought the Earth was the center of the universe and that the sky was a fixed ceiling - why would I consult their knowledge of the world to learn the current understanding of climate warming?

No, Christ does say the Spirit guides in truth by reminding what Christ said and did, so it isnt a false dichotomy for a believer who has faith in Christ. It is however a false dichotomy for one who does not have faith in Christ therefore. The subject was Noah, not the fossil record, remember that not all geologists think that the fossil record disproves Noah and the flood. You have decided to side with the views of scientists who lack faith in God rather than scientists who have faith in God.

So the answer is that I am simply not a Christian? LOL, ok. 99.9999999999% of scientists believe the geological record as it is interpreted within the field of geology. Sure creation scientists reject it as it is interpreted by the majority of scientists, but they are not even viewed as scientists by the rest of their colleagues. Real scientists propose hypothesis and try to answer their question through observation. Creationists try to find evidence to support their interpretation of the Bible. There is no war between the truth uncovered through science and the Absolute Truth of God.

So it was a general comment about what the view is against what the scripture says. However if the scripture is what you call "conservative Christian mindset" then yes "conservative Christian mindset" is the Christian faith and ‘conservative Christian mindset’ is what false teaching call it to deceive people into thinking its the same thing.

You do not have the final word on the interpretation of the Bible - in fact, I fear that you are confusing blind allegiance to a narrow, literal interpretation of the Bible, with real Christianity, which is a transformation of the heart and mind - realigning our focus off of ourselves and back on to God.

Jul 6, 2011
Aspen2,
But homosexual by definition is also sexual attraction or behaviour but for the same sex, yet my relationship with the same sex man was not sexual attraction or behaviour. QED, you are incorrect not all relationships are heterosexual or homosexual, they are only homosexual or heterosexual if sexual attraction or behaviour is involved.
It has also been observed that male penguins have sexual intercourse with dead females. When you offered the argument that animals have decided homosexual practice is normal, have they decided necrophilia is as well? If not then you are not making any credible point at all. If what animals do is the norm then why not necrophilia. If what they do is not necessarily the norm then what use your remark?
Now, reality. Changing people's behavior through legislation does not lead them to Christ.
Who suggested that?

Who said anything about creating laws? Not me. You see we cannot love our neighbour by ommitting repentance from sin from the gospel, otherwise they may perish in sin.

Obviously, the idea that God hates homosexuality because homosexuals misuse the parts He design is just stupid.
How come? God created male and female to be united and detests same sex relations which is called error and against the natural. Yes I would say it very much is misuse of the sexual organs, how can it not be?

It is so stupid that not only humans find pleasure in same sex relationships - even animals do.
It also gives penguins pleasure to have sexual activity with dead penguins and some animals to eat each other. Is the norm to you, if so then you are at odds with the animal kingdom.

Pleasure for one person is pain for another, but the physical anatomy is the same for all men and for all women.
You have the exact same arguments as the LGBT supporters, it doesn’t matter what issues are raised they are always favourable for you for homosexuality.
I cannot help you with your comprehension skills, BMS.
Non one else sees any problems with my comprehension.

Apparently not, because most species of mammals include members who engage in homosexual behavior.
But as we have seen that reasoning doesn’t work. The physical anatomy determines what is functional for all male and female members of every animal species that has two sexes. If you want to define the norm based on inclusion or exclusion of what a minority do, then you have favoured what the minority do and the minority opinion. Alternatively I could say homosexuality is not the norm as not all animal species have been observed to practice it and only a minority within that species do anyway.

Sorry but the anatomy as a basis is objective, your criteria is subjective. The only criteria we can use that isnt subjective and in dispute is functional anatomy.
Rather than spending all our time making irrelevant judgments based on our likes and dislikes, we are now able to focus on serving other people. It is a huge shift in mindset.
But who said that? Not me. The scripture says Love God first and love our neighbour second, all you have responded with is love your neighbour. Once again you exclude any of what the passage we cited specifically said which was to offer to offer our own bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God as true and proper worship, and then not to conform to the pattern of the world.

the primitive people who wrote the Bible held these views is missing the forest for the trees.
Which implies the Biblical account isnt reliable a reliable testimony. Please tell me in what way is the NT witness of Christ missing the forest for the trees?

3. We were created to love,
I agree with that.

not make judgements about Good and Evil –
On the contrary that is what the Biblical testimony urges all the way through. Christ taught that

Luke 12:57 "Why don’t you judge for yourselves what is right?
Romans 12:9 "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good."
You talk about love and then deny the love that is described in the Bible.
Paul preached love.
Who said he didnt? The question to you was what are you referring to as ‘opinions of ancient Jewish and Christian people and calling it God'? So not Paul’s epistles by the looks of it, so what exactly?

All we can do is form an opinion about the truth.
But that isnt quite the same as what we asked to do by Christ, which is believe.

So to answer your somewhat, irrelevant question. God determines which scientist is factually correct.
Not what God’s word says. 2 Tim 3:16. Believers are to test what is right according to the faith once delivered in the NT.

I was talking about conservative christians
And I wasn’t.

But you were trying to claim that many scientists who are Christian reject evolution.
No, I wasnt. I said I think the fact that a man had a mother by nature of the egg an his DNA is mainstream scientific opinion. I don’t think such an observable reality can justiably be called bigoted from a scientific pov. Do you?

You really need to take a class on Western Civilization and thought.
No definitely not, the Biblical testimony is the truth, as I have said your modern mindset is unbelief.

The question is 'free from what'
Then by asking that question you obviously arent set free. Jesus said when we do what He teaches we know the truth and are set free. All you are doing is rationalising bits of His teaching which you think are true. Your worldview is an emaciated form of Christianity and lacking. Its almost humanism paying lip service to Christ.

There is nothing within Christianity that dictates what we are supposed to know about how creation works or our opinions about truth
Well yes there most definitely is as we have seen not least in your ideas on homosexuality. Romans 1 says "19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

However, there is nothing wrong with observing how creation works and documenting patterns - this is science.
Who said it was wrong?

Finally, the misinterpretation of the word 'halo' as 'horns' was found in the only latin translation accepted at the time - the Vulgate.
Exodus 34 right? There are some other mistranslations in other versions, wrongly from the original, hardly significant holistically.

Isn't that the problem? You are missing what is really important! The people and their relationships are the only things that are important in the Bible - everything else is scenery.
then I would say your belief system is humanist and not a Christian. The only thing that is important in the Bible is God, God is love, Christ is the truth the way and the life, all the rest flows from that.

ok. 99.9999999999% of scientists believe the geological record as it is interpreted within the field of geology.
Let me stop you there again. I referred to what Jesus said about Noah, not the modern term creation science. But if 99.99% of scientists believe God is wrong do you have faith in them or God? And I dont believe that percentage is correct either.

Sure creation scientists reject it as it is interpreted by the majority of scientists, but they are not even viewed as scientists by the rest of their colleagues.
But they have the same qualifications. Do you? We have just seen how an eminent scientist thinks reality is bigoted. Could be that 99.9 % of scientists are destined for the hell they don’t believe in.

The point is Jesus said He is the truth and what He teaches is the truth. All you are doing is saying what Christ taught has to be qualified by science.
You do not have the final word on the interpretation of the Bible –
Never said I did. In fact I think what I have written shows I acknowledge I dont. But I can read what the Bible says.

in fact, I fear that you are confusing blind allegiance to a narrow, literal interpretation of the Bible,
Nope, the Biblical testimony has to be understood in context and holistically. I think you are confusing worldly wisdom with faith.

Christianity, which is a transformation of the heart and mind - realigning our focus off of ourselves and back on to God.
According to what, God’s Biblical testimony or your ideas?

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi brightmorningstar,

Interestingly the Pharisees at one point said Jesus was driving out spirits by the devil. Thats calling the light, the dark. In the world, good is often called evil, and evil is often called good.

The following verses seem to fit -

Isaiah 5:18 Woe unto them that draw iniquity with cords of vanity, and sin as it were with a cart rope:
19 that say, Let him make speed, [and] hasten his work, that we may see [it]:
and let the counsel of the Holy One of Israel draw nigh and come, that we may know [it]!

20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil;
that put darkness for light, and light for darkness;
that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

{call...: Heb. say concerning evil, It is good, etc}

21 Woe unto [them that are] wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

22 Woe unto [them that are] mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink:
23 which justify the wicked for reward, and take away the righteousness of the righteous from him!

24 Therefore as the fire devoureth the stubble, and the flame consumeth the chaff,
[so] their root shall be as rottenness, and their blossom shall go up as dust:
because they have cast away the law of the LORD of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel.

Hi aspen,

The definition which you quoted of 'Heterosexuality' completely backs up brightmorningstar's point, that if there is no 'sex' involved, one would not describe it as a homosexual relationship.

Between a man and a woman of close friendship - one would tend not to call it 'intimate' these days, unless sexual intimacy was implied or possible, although I agree with you that 'intimate' could have been used in the past without said implication - if there was absolutely no touching at all, then it would be called 'platonic' - not 'heterosexual'. If there was touching of a brotherly-sisterly nature, such as hugging goodbye, kissing the face (not mouth) in greeting, and other physical expressions of fondness or assistance at times of need, again, one would not even be thinking, 'heterosexual'.

In fact, the expectation that a person will want to declare their sexual orientation to the world, (say, when applying for a job) as if this is somehow in question for a man, or a woman, (for the purposes of determining that no discrimination is made against them), has only arisen at the insistence of the gay lobby.

I find it quite offensive to be asked at all, and, to be given the ambiguous choice of between stating it, or 'would prefer not to say', is absolutely no better. It's all intrusive, and typical of the spirit that drives the homosexual mindset.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BMS

I have read your latest post and I do not think you are adding anything new to the conversation. You are still missing my reasoning for including my comments about homosexuality in the animal kingdom. All I can do is point you back to my last post - I cannot be anymore clear.

You are also continuing to confuse faith in the Bible with faith in God. Putting my faith in the primitive understanding of the world held by the people who wrote the Bible is not a requirement of Christianity. Learning how to love perfectly like Jesus loves - like we were created to do is all that is required of us - His burden is light. I cannot be anymore clear in this area either.

Finally, humanism is a philosophy that exalts the human potential above all else - it does not include God. If that is what you really believe I am promoting, you have not understood anything that I have written.

Not sure where to go in our conversation.

Dragonfly,

I think you need to go back and read the definition of heterosexuality again. It includes more than simply sex. Also, I have never been asked what my sexual orientation is on any application I have filled out - I thought it was illegal to ask that question.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi aspen,

Also, I have never been asked what my sexual orientation is on any application I have filled out - I thought it was illegal to ask that question.

I wish it was illegal in the UK. But no. Every application form contains the question on the pretext that it will give homosexuals as fair a chance as everyone else. In fact, it came in on the back of the AIDS campaign because homosexual suggested they were being discriminated against by the impression some folk had that they are all HIV positive. Sigh. A littel knowledge is a dangerous thing.

So now there is an anti-discrimination Act of Parliament which forces employers to include a statement that they do not/will not discriminate against any applicant/employee on the grounds of blah, blah, blah, including sexual orientation. This has meant that certain special interest groups, like churches, have had to fight for an exception which allows them to discriminate in favour of the belief system an employee would be expected to accept/agree.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Tarmac09
No there are none. There are translations, but they are derived from all or part of the same sources. To say there are incarnations of the Bible would be to imply the translations are all saying and meaning different things, which is obviously not the case.
On the points made in relation to the incorrect generalisation you have made, 1 Cor 5 and Matt 18 in all translations all describe expelling those who wilfully commit sexual immoral acts, even though some use different words none of them mean the opposite.

Aspen2,
No that is fundamentally the wrong way round. Faith in Christ is experiencing God’s love and gives citizenship in heaven and gives justification, sanctification and redemption. Loving one’s neighbour is a manifestation of it.
Dragonfly’s and Rach’s responses are correct. What you are expounding here is humanism veiled as Christianity.
This is correct but your previous statement
only affirms part of that.
Its the same with ‘love your neighbour’. It comes hand in hand with loving God but Jesus did not say it was the same, Jesus said it is like it. So why do liberals always expound ‘love your neighbour’ instead of ‘love God’ and ‘love your neighbour’ Could it be that the latter is acceptable to the non-believer and the former is potentially offensive?

Liberalism at its heart is lawlessness and rebellion and any hint of authority and responsability to that authority is offensive,it finds comfort in itself and its own kind...its like the Egg that lays itself...the Chicken doesn't matter anymore.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
So now there is an anti-discrimination Act of Parliament which forces employers to include a statement that they do not/will not discriminate against any applicant/employee on the grounds of blah, blah, blah, including sexual orientation. This has meant that certain special interest groups, like churches, have had to fight for an exception which allows them to discriminate in favour of the belief system an employee would be expected to accept/agree.

Seriously??? Man, what on earth is the world coming to? Although, yeah, I see it heading that way in Australia too. I cannot comprehend why on earth gay people want to invade the church. If they want equal rights, fine. If they want a binding contract or ceremony to give them status and protection, fine. But why do they want 'marriage' and into a church that they are aware is against their life style?
We are God's people, and as such it should be a simple matter for us...any sex outside a heterosexual marriage, is sin. Full stop. Outside the church we are able to give others liberty, because they aren't claiming to be following God. But inside the church...seriously? It's like being okay with a pastor who has a mistress on the side...and says God is cool with it because he's 'spreading the love around'. The marriage covenant was instituted by God for one man and one woman. I'm all for equal rights, but let them get their own 'covenant'...one that doesn't impinge on our rights and beliefs.
As it stands today, its not okay to discriminate against anyone...unless they're Christian. They're basically saying 'I have the right to believe what I believe, and you have no right to disagree'...its hypocritical. Of course many of today's Christians aren't helping...we need to stand up for our beliefs, like the holiness of marriage...we must be unmoving on the issue of gays within the church...but we must remember Paul...he tells us we have no right to push our Christian standards on those who are not Christian. I can't help but wonder if that's one of the reasons we are where we are. The church was so violently opposed to homosexual behaviour anywhere, that we left them only the option to fight or hide forever. I don't believe that is the right thing...biblically, to do. We need to have purity in the Church...a following of God's commands, and from that vantage, we 'seep' love into the world...showing a better way. Our message should be clear and strong, but also loving to the lost and blind. We should always remember that that's what gay people are. They are trapped in sin, and they simply cannot see what that lifestyle is doing to them. We don't verbally slam into a blind person for not being able to see! We might sit with them, comfort them, love them, and lovingly describe what it is we see...how beautiful and freeing our vision is! We tempt them with love and let the Holy Spirit do the rest.
The homosexual debate seems to be one that can almost become violent...and I honestly don't see why. God loves everyone...even the lost. But He won't tolerate them in his church, claiming to follow and love him while simultaneously violating everything he gave us. It must be the same for us. As far as the marriage debate goes...we should say 'no'...because marriage is something God gave us, to honour Him. But we don't say that gay people may not be 'linked' together in such a way...that's entirely up to them. I just feel it should be a legal thing, not religious.

Jul 6, 2011
Apsen2,
If one wanted to assume homosexual practice is normal for humans because some in the animal kingdom occasionally did it, as you suggested, then it would be logical to see necrophilia as normal because some in the animal kingdom occasionally did it.
What usually happens with lgbt activists is they then disqualify necrophilia with some other reason which shows their argument is not consistent but only designed to justify homosexual practice.
If you don’t want to respond to that criticism them I will assume you support necrophilia for humans.
However, the normal and the natural is the male and female of the species together.
You are also continuing to confuse faith in the Bible with faith in God. Putting my faith in the primitive understanding of the world held by the people who wrote the Bible is not a requirement of Christianity.
Which in typical liberal style is accusing others of the problem the others have been trying to correct you on. The Christian faith is in the ‘person’ of Christ as the truth the way and the way; In Christ faith expressing itself through love. – Galatians 5
This is a common liberal counterfit deception that you hold, and is a circular argument. Christ cannot be the truth if His testimony that claims He is the truth is merely written by people of primitive understanding in error, and His testimony is the Bible.
Worship to Christ is the offering of ones body and mind, one’s whole life to Christ according to His teaching. Unless one does that according to His teaching in the Bible one isnt necessarily putting one faith in Christ at all, but as 2 Cor 3 says a Jesus and a spirit other than the Jesus of the NT.
Similarly, learning how to love perfectly like Jesus loved is only possible as His Biblical testimony shows. Homosexual is a good test, people abandon the NT definition of love and decide according to their own feelings. Read Judges 17 onwards, its very easy for the people of God to stray and be convinced they are doing right when the Bible shows its evil in God’s eyes.
And its hardly an argument to say that His burden is light when that is what I say as well and that comes from what you call writers of a primitive understanding.
Your posts here one minute call the Biblical testimony from writers of primitive understanding and the next minute quote from the Bible as though it is the truth.
Finally, humanism is a philosophy that exalts the human potential above all else - it does not include God.
Correct. If God is claimed but tested as false by the Biblical account, it would be humanism posing as faith in God.
Now the point is dragonfly doesn’t need to go back to any definition of ‘sexuality’ as we are all trying t show you the terms homo and hetero sexuality are flawed modern concepts. God created man for woman so the terms are redundant. They are only of any use to people who don’t recognise the anatomical reality.
I have been asked to fill out my sexuality, if I get the option of other I put Christian.

Rach,
The problem with this evil is that it isnt about homosexuals at all, its about attacking God with lies that seduce. There are people in the church that have same sex attraction who believe and know the truth that same sex relations are error. If doesnt even matter if they fall short, the truth saves them and they can repent. There are also people who identify as homsoexuals in the world who dont want to associate too closely with lgbt lobbies. And then there is another set of people, some who identify as homsoexuals and some who do not, who as soon as one speaks the truth attacks with bigot, homophobe, prejudice and tries to make out the truth hates homosexual people and should be silenced. Indeed the harshest treatment is probably to those believers with same sex attraction.
If the church rids itself of these false teachers, it will be a lot easier for the world to see the alternative to the world.
I have been to two civil partnerships, but would be unlikely to share communion with clergy who openly promote homosexuality.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
BMS

I have read your latest post and I do not think you are adding anything new to the conversation. You are still missing my reasoning for including my comments about homosexuality in the animal kingdom. All I can do is point you back to my last post - I cannot be anymore clear.

You are also continuing to confuse faith in the Bible with faith in God. Putting my faith in the primitive understanding of the world held by the people who wrote the Bible is not a requirement of Christianity. Learning how to love perfectly like Jesus loves - like we were created to do is all that is required of us - His burden is light. I cannot be anymore clear in this area either.

Finally, humanism is a philosophy that exalts the human potential above all else - it does not include God. If that is what you really believe I am promoting, you have not understood anything that I have written.

Not sure where to go in our conversation.

Dragonfly,

I think you need to go back and read the definition of heterosexuality again. It includes more than simply sex. Also, I have never been asked what my sexual orientation is on any application I have filled out - I thought it was illegal to ask that question.

"Putting my faith in the primitive understanding of the world held by people who wrote the bible is not a requirement of Christianity"

No better mission statement of liberal practical atheism and apostasy has ever been constructed,a masterpeice of rationalization,circumvention,evasion and abiguity...the Bible is primitive,it was written by men and not the inspired word of God...complete denial of both the source of the word,the word itself,the men of God led by the spirit to write it and any faith in it....let this be all the evidence anyone needs of this individuals true spiritual condition and if any want to continue to call this individual a "Christian" read this as many times as you need to to see what is being said here.

Thank you Aspen for saying it way better than i ever could and revealing your true self...you did it with few words...brevity is not only the soul of wit but truth as well

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Putting my faith in the primitive understanding of the world held by the people who wrote the Bible is not a requirement of Christianity.

Hey Aspen. I think I get where you're coming from...indeed we worship God not the bible, but I do have to ask you about the above statement.
The bible is God's revelation to us...of Himself and of His plan, redemptively, for human history. We must not question God's ability to get across the exact message to us that He intended to, regardless of what people or prophets he was working through. I would also argue against the 'primitive understanding' that was held back then. Many, many of the people that lived back then were staggering in their intellect and faith. Abraham and David, to name just two, had faith in Christ hundreds of years before He even came! And the apostle Paul, I think, could run circles around most academics today.
God did not 'make do' with the people he had to work with, He chose the perfect people to get His perfect message to us, centuries later. And yeah, we have technology up to our ears...but really...are we any more 'evolved'? You said it yourself...people will always have default issues and emotions. Hundreds of years ago people sacrificed babies to gods...today we do it in the name of rights...not much of a difference really, huh?

Jul 6, 2011
Ok. Let us be careful of the sort of liberalism aspen2 is putting forward.

The Biblical account affirms itself. (ie The gosples record Jesus saying not one iota of the OT scriptures are changed. and 2:Tim 3 all scripture is God breathed)

Therefore a blanket statement referring to the Biblical testimony as from primitive people with primitive understanding means it cant be inspired by God or necessarily reliable. (or that God has primitive ideas.)

So when liberalism quotes scripture at others as though it believes it, we should recognise its worldview is a another gospel according to its own wisdom and reasoning and including a pick and mix of ancient primtive writing.

Satan masquerades as light. Deception is exactly that, it appears to be the truth, but isnt. Liberalism spends a lot of its time trying to convince people its the genuine thing.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Ok. Let us be careful of the sort of liberalism aspen2 is putting forward.

The Biblical account affirms itself. (ie The gosples record Jesus saying not one iota of the OT scriptures are changed. and 2:Tim 3 all scripture is God breathed)

Therefore a blanket statement referring to the Biblical testimony as from primitive people with primitive understanding means it cant be inspired by God or necessarily reliable. (or that God has primitive ideas.)

So when liberalism quotes scripture at others as though it believes it, we should recognise its worldview is a another gospel according to its own wisdom and reasoning and including a pick and mix of ancient primtive writing.

Satan masquerades as light. Deception is exactly that, it appears to be the truth, but isnt. Liberalism spends a lot of its time trying to convince people its the genuine thing.

Yes,and the responsability for the distribution of that fraud lies directly on the individual doing it.at times i have more respect for the worlds institutions and ism's in regard to untiy and loyalty of purpose because they demand of those who claim to be one of them that they obey certain core values of the institution or ism or be excluded....somehow modern Christianity has turned into a collection of people who require nothing other than a surface claim...we accept open practising liars,theives,adulterers,Homosexuals,Covetous,exthortioners,apostates and heretics of every description who deny the word of God and God himself and teach others to do so and many of us call these people "brothers and sisters in Christ" because we have bought into the lie that being a Christian strips one of both the ability and the obligation to discern right from wrong in pursuit of a perverted and corrupted form of "Love".....the bible says"woe unto them who call good evil and evil good".....thats in the bible so modern Christianity couldn't care less about it.

Jul 6, 2011
Well Satan blinds people to the truth. I used to think a lot like aspen2, our battle is not against flesh and blood but powers and principalities.
My point is according to the testimony of the One who is the truth, if one doesn't believe the testimony of the Bible, one cant really know the One who it is testifying about.

Nb but I must admit even though I once thought as a liberal, I didnt want force my opinions on others in the name of tolerance, like we see with a current liberal secualrism.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Well Satan blinds people to the truth. I used to think a lot like aspen2, our battle is not against flesh and blood but powers and principalities.
My point is according to the testimony of the One who is the truth, if one doesn't believe the testimony of the Bible, one cant really know the One who it is testifying about.

Nb but I must admit even though I once thought as a liberal, I didnt want force my opinions on others in the name of tolerance, like we see with a current liberal secualrism.

Ask yourself this,of all the Christians in the news lately and in years past how many of them were there because of the holiness of their lives ? how many of these people with the exception of Jim Baker suffered any real penalty for their actions....there is or used to be a vidEo on youtube of a mega church pastor in Atlanta Ga who was accused of sexual abuse of young boys....they settled out of court(he paid them off)....this video shows his congregation who's money he used to pay them off crowning him as a King....and even Jim Baker is back in the game,its not about forgiveness but about what it takes for somebody to loose their credibility and and authority as a leader in the church...they can be forgiven by God and man...let me be clear about that but when the world see's the church continue to embrace these people not as christians but as leaders and examples they at some point associate us with their crimes.....as any Catholic will tell you.I suggest that showing the world the "love" of God minus the holiness of God amounts to the denial of God

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I suggest that showing the world the "love" of God minus the holiness of God amounts to the denial of God

I think I'll save that quote in my favorite words list. Your equation (love - holiness = denial) is right on target. The world wants godly love but on its own terms; godly responsibility not included.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
I suggest that showing the world the "love" of God minus the holiness of God amounts to the denial of God

As rjp said...this quote is incredibly insightful. It would probably benefit us all to dwell on it...I know I will for a while..

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
love without God is self-love. Or, Original Sin