Paul And The Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
YES :)
I find myself cringing when people are cussing, this never bothered me because my mom was proficient at it. Of course it didn't escape me, I was following that way, now it's a rare occurrence with immediate repentance. HALLELUJAH!!! So many things take care of themselves thru JESUS.
I guess at one time you did it naturally because your mom did.

But the Lord gives strength not to, to His people.

Reactions: Acolyte

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Haha! Depends on how you first read it :)
...what I read was =
"I had a friend, an alcoholic ( once an alcoholic always an alcoholic) motorcycle brawler whom Christ converted.
And he would tell folks, "I still get drunk as much as I want. ( but he didn't want) And I still beat on who I want. ( but I no longer want) But after meeting Jesus, I don't want that any more".

xx
@Dave L can't make a comment that could be so misunderstood. Even when he explained it, he didn't explain it correctly. Sometimes words aren't so important, sometimes they are. In this case, they're very important.

Too many I know that believe they CAN do whatever they want to do and STILL be saved. I would have liked clarification....

I STILL GET DRUNK AS MUCH AS I WANT means...
the person is STILL getting drunk as much as he wants.

End of English lesson!

Reactions: Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I think he may be talking about willing obedience. "Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power" (Psalm 110.3).
We'd have to get into WHEN is the Day of Thy Power??
I read the above verses in 3 different bibles and I'm not sure.
It might even be the resurrection. I don't think that is what @DaveL was referring to... Only HE knows.

D

Dave L

@Dave L can't make a comment that could be so misunderstood. Even when he explained it, he didn't explain it correctly. Sometimes words aren't so important, sometimes they are. In this case, they're very important.

Too many I know that believe they CAN do whatever they want to do and STILL be saved. I would have liked clarification....

I STILL GET DRUNK AS MUCH AS I WANT means...
the person is STILL getting drunk as much as he wants.

End of English lesson!
But he doesn't want to get drunk. So he is saying he has a completely free will that he never had before. That is, he can do anything he wants now, but before he could not. He was bound by sin.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We'd have to get into WHEN is the Day of Thy Power??
I read the above verses in 3 different bibles and I'm not sure.
It might even be the resurrection. I don't think that is what @DaveL was referring to... Only HE knows.
Yes, you would have to ask DaveL what he was thinking about, exactly...

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
But he doesn't want to get drunk. So he is saying he has a completely free will that he never had before. That is, he can do anything he wants now, but before he could not. He was bound by sin.
I figured you meant this DL...
Just wanted to make sure...and the wording is kind of off...maybe I'm just sensitive to this having heard such weird stuff...(not from you).

Reactions: Helen and Dave L

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Maybe you could have said that after meeting Jesus he no longer has the desire to get drunk as he used to...

Sorry to be killing a dead horse...

Reactions: Helen and Dave L

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Clue me in....
well c'mon Dave, obv "i no longer feel the urge to sin" is only too easily restated as "since i can now do anything i want, i therefore cannot possibly be sinning, even when someone complains of my abuse" which i can quote for you if you like Dave, but the usual option there is to just ignore it, or deflect away from it, or claim you are being judged, etc. It is easily made into a self-serving god, iow.

i mean bless the guy ok, don't get me wrong, but Biker Dude is still swimming in sin, neck deep in it, even if his more obvious bad habits--from his perception, of course--have roused his conscience. Iow he is in a sense now even more deceived than before

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
well c'mon Dave, obv "i no longer feel the urge to sin" is only too easily restated as "since i can now do anything i want, i therefore cannot possibly be sinning, even when someone complains of my abuse" which i can quote for you if you like Dave, but the usual option there is to just ignore it, or deflect away from it, or claim you are being judged, etc. It is easily made into a self-serving god, iow.

i mean bless the guy ok, don't get me wrong, but Biker Dude is still swimming in sin, neck deep in it, even if his more obvious bad habits--from his perception, of course--have roused his conscience. Iow he is in a sense now even more deceived than before
Yes. This is the problem I had with the statement.
Glad I wasn't alone!

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Maybe you could have said that after meeting Jesus he no longer has the desire to get drunk as he used to...

Sorry to be killing a dead horse...
you are English-first-language, right?
how you didn't get the intent the first time i have been wondering about,
but imo that is a good lesson in perception too

D

Dave L

I hate sin and censor every thought and imagination that leans towards it. It's not worth losing happiness and peace of mind over.

D

Dave L

Yes. This is the problem I had with the statement.
Glad I wasn't alone!
If you walk in the Spirit, nothing is worse than loosing those benefits over petty sinful thoughts and imaginations. Let alone outward sin.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I hate sin and censor every thought and imagination that leans towards it.
sorry Dave, but this is horse-puckey, and self-deception, period.
You sin from the moment you wake up until the moment you go to sleep, every day, and so do i ok
we just justify it--and ps whenever Scripture says "justify" it is a bad thing, not a good one--and since all of our friends are justifying it too, we become blind to it. You are consuming vast amounts of plastic every day, you drive a car, you buy goods made by slaves, you fill your car with gas bought from terrorists, you worship Sol Invictus, when you say "church" you have a direction that you might point, on and on, if you had any conscience left i could make you cry for all of your sins in about 3 minutes ok. You are likely anxious to see a literal Wall built across your southern (imaginary) "border," for Christ's sake lol

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I hate sin and censor every thought and imagination that leans towards it. It's not worth losing happiness and peace of mind over.
a better way for you to say this would be that you hate the idea of sin, and so you have adopted a dogma that allows you to ignore your own sin, and ignore anyone who seeks to point it out.
But at least you get to sing "When we all get to heaven" for a little while longer, Dave; that's totally ok right, singing "When we all get to heaven?"
No sin in that right
:rolleyes:

you are just like me Dave, except i am a hypocrite, so maybe not

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
:D The more I read this thread the more I find I am getting confused.

..LaughingSmiley.gif

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Your law keeping, law doing, and law preaching will not set the captive free.
True. At the same time, Christians generally do not have a clear understanding of the meaning or functions of the Law, neither do they clearly understand that the Law of Christ incorporates the Ten Commandments. They have NOT been abolished!

A. The Law was not give to enable a sinner to be righteous, but it was given to show every human being that we are all guilty before God. Guilty of transgressing (or breaking) the Law, wholly or partially.

B. At the same time the Law (the term as applicable to the Ten Commandments) is (a) eternal, (b) God's absolute moral and spiritual standard, (c) and -- under the New Covenant -- written on hearts and minds, instead of tablets of stone. Even for the unsaved, it is written within the conscience.

C. Also, people should understand that depending upon context, the term "the Law" can mean any one of four things:
1. The entire Old Testament (in fact the Hebrew Tanakh)
2. The Torah or the first five books of Moses
3. Just the 613 laws within the Torah
4. Just the Ten Commandments (as generally used by Paul)

Last edited: