Paul And The Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What he is saying is he can still do all the bad things if he wants to, but after meeting Jesus, he doesn't want to do them anymore.

You are right in that a child of God will not WANT to sin but that does not mean he/she does not do them. Paul, in Romans 7, says as much

Reactions: bbyrd009
D

Dave L

You are right in that a child of God will not WANT to sin but that does not mean he/she does not do them. Paul, in Romans 7, says as much
If you walk in the Spirit you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
It is as though you want to obscure what you say.
we've already gone over that Dave, and suggestions/instructions have been included i guess
have a good one
it's as though you don't want to understand what i said too Dave, but yes both things are going on.
sorry, but i can't reply to any more...impertinent posts today ok, no offense meant.
If you are willing to sit first, down here at the table with me, i will reply to those

D

Dave L

it's as though you don't want to understand what i said too Dave, but yes both things are going on.
sorry, but i can't reply to any more...impertinent posts today ok, no offense meant.
If you are willing to sit first, down here at the table with me, i will reply to those
You were no doubt in third grade? If you could go back, and form sentences the way you did then, most Americans could understand what you are saying.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you walk in the Spirit you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Rom 7:14-25
14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.
16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good.
17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.
19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.
20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good.
22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
25 I thank God — through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
NKJV

No man in the flesh is without sin.

Reactions: Acolyte
D

Dave L

Rom 7:14-25
14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.
16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good.
17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.
19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.
20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good.
22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
25 I thank God — through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
NKJV
Romans 7 = Paul as an unbelieving Jew.
“This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.” (Galatians 5:16–17) (KJV 1900)

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 7 = Paul as an unbelieving Jew.
“This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.” (Galatians 5:16–17) (KJV 1900)

This is the way the religious try to get around what Paul is clearly saying. Just claim it was before he was saved.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
you are English-first-language, right?
how you didn't get the intent the first time i have been wondering about,
but imo that is a good lesson in perception too
I grew up in NY. I'm American.
Not only am I English first...
I needed English for my work.
I happen to be REALLY good at English....
Here we use everyday English...I could switch in the flicker of an eye.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Dave L
D

Dave L

This is the way the religious try to get around what Paul is clearly saying. Just claim it was before he was saved.
If you walk in the Spirit, you will battle temptation but you do not need to give in to it.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
sorry Dave, but this is horse-puckey, and self-deception, period.
You sin from the moment you wake up until the moment you go to sleep, every day, and so do i ok
we just justify it--and ps whenever Scripture says "justify" it is a bad thing, not a good one--and since all of our friends are justifying it too, we become blind to it. You are consuming vast amounts of plastic every day, you drive a car, you buy goods made by slaves, you fill your car with gas bought from terrorists, you worship Sol Invictus, when you say "church" you have a direction that you might point, on and on, if you had any conscience left i could make you cry for all of your sins in about 3 minutes ok. You are likely anxious to see a literal Wall built across your southern (imaginary) "border," for Christ's sake lol
Amen to all of the above.
We should cry at Jesus' feet every evening....
Lord, forgive me,,,a sinner.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
You do not have to sin. Temptation? yes, but it is not sin unless you submit.
I have no words.
Do you realize how perfect God is?
Can you even stand to look into His face?
Does His light not make you look away?
How do we dare to be in His presence were it not for His Son?
In fact His Son had to die before we were even allowed into heaven.

I'm probably sinning right now..being proud or something.
Do you think a whole hour goes by without you committing some sin or other?
If you say you are without sin you make God to be a liar.
1 John 1:10

D

Dave L

I have no words.
Do you realize how perfect God is?
Can you even stand to look into His face?
Does His light not make you look away?
How do we dare to be in His presence were it not for His Son?
In fact His Son had to die before we were even allowed into heaven.

I'm probably sinning right now..being proud or something.
Do you think a whole hour goes by without you committing some sin or other?
If you say you are without sin you make God to be a liar.
1 John 1:10

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Good verse.
What does it mean?

D

Dave L

Good verse.
What does it mean?
Here's how I understand it. Every day I ask God to forgive me for what I am. "God be merciful to me a sinner". And I confess any impure thoughts, dreams, or imaginations that got through to the point I indulged them. Normally, I can censor thoughts and imaginations, sometimes at the impulse stage. And live by this:

Here's my approach to walking in the Spirit.

“Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;” (2 Corinthians 10:5) (KJV 1900)

We censor every impure thought or imagination. And change the channel in our thinking on any thought that does not conform to obedience to Christ.

And we replace it with:

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)

Knowing Jesus is God and God is love. So Jesus is lord of our lives when love rules our thoughts and actions.