Paul said: give thyself to reading of the scriptures

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And, to whom was he speaking? It was Timothy, not you or me. I know three quarters of a church full of people I would hate to have to sit and listen to them TRYING to struggle through publicly reading the Bible aloud.

I know what you are trying to say but the scriptures are written for EVERY believer and it is sad that the public reading of them is no longer practised by the church. We are fed on snacks with someone telling us what they are made up of.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know what you are trying to say but the scriptures are written for EVERY believer and it is sad that the public reading of them is no longer practised by the church. We are fed on snacks with someone telling us what they are made up of.
You've read most of the posts here. Can you imagine the distorted and confused mess that would come out of some of the mouths here if you, instead, had to audibly listen to them struggling to read aloud? Some people can't even write a legible sentence, let alone read aloud competently.
Give me a good reader up front who actually understands punctuation, and can see the commas in a sentence.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You've read most of the posts here. Can you imagine the distorted and confused mess that would come out of some of the mouths here if you, instead, had to audibly listen to them struggling to read aloud? Some people can't even write a legible sentence, let alone read aloud competently.
Give me a good reader up front who actually understands punctuation, and can see the commas in a sentence.

Point taken and understood as I am a retired teacher of English.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 9:17 KJV
[17] For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

Tecarta BibleMaybe not fully closed, but was it being lived?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Hades was the god of the underworld and the name eventually came to also describe the home of the dead as well. He was the oldest male child of Cronus and Rhea. Hades and his brothers Zeus and Poseidon defeated their father and the Titans to end their reign, claiming rulership over the cosmos.
ok, and the reason why these are in our sacred Scripture? These pagan gods, not being condemned, but rather invoked?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sorry but no as some of it had not been written when he said that.
As if Paul was not a prophet and could not see a complete Bible! Actually by the time of Paul's writing to Timothy, almost the whole NT had been written down.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ok, and the reason why these are in our sacred Scripture?
Hades is an actual place in the heart of the earth and is presently occupies by the unsaved dead. Talking about pagan gods in this connection is just a straw man argument. Just like all the days of the week are connected to pagan gods. SO WHAT??? Paul already told us that the pagan gods are devils.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As if Paul was not a prophet and could not see a complete Bible! Actually by the time of Paul's writing to Timothy, almost the whole NT had been written down.

So you agree with me as you said the Old and New Testament. I said no because parts of it had not been written when those words were written. Almost is not the whole of the NT.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ok, and the reason why these are in our sacred Scripture? These pagan gods, not being condemned, but rather invoked?

That is for those who this is a problem to sort out. I merely posted the correct dictionary meaning of the word as some seemed to be confused about it.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IMO the Word of God is a living (as in alive) Word that was written from the testimonies of those who experienced His Divine presence 1st hand not having a Bible to read. Throughout the Old and New testaments are recorded events of supernatural encounters with angels, Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit.
And doesn't it say that some things are hidden to man until the appointed time?
What I believe we should be seeking is Him...His hidden wisdom....and for those who seek Him they will be shown the mysteries of God.
The Living Word is constantly drawing us to a deeper understanding of His Truth .
We shouldn't put God in a box and determine through our own carnal reasoning that He stopped speaking at the end of the book of Revelation.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So you agree with me as you said the Old and New Testament. I said no because parts of it had not been written when those words were written. Almost is not the whole of the NT.
How about 85% which would be the bulk of the NT? Or are you going to keep quibbling about this? The only writings which were yet future were the epistles of John and Revelation. But when Paul wrote 2 Timothy 3:16,17, he was already seeing a COMPLETE Bible. He had already prophesied that prophecies would cease.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
IMO the Word of God is a living (as in alive) Word that was written from the testimonies of those who experienced His Divine presence 1st hand not having a Bible to read. Throughout the Old and New testaments are recorded events of supernatural encounters with angels, Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit.
And doesn't it say that some things are hidden to man until the appointed time?
What I believe we should be seeking is Him...His hidden wisdom....and for those who seek Him they will be shown the mysteries of God.
The Living Word is constantly drawing us to a deeper understanding of His Truth .
We shouldn't put God in a box and determine through our own carnal reasoning that He stopped speaking at the end of the book of Revelation.

I am not sure anyone is suggesting that. We are talking about those things that are written which of course ended with the book of Revelation, but that does not alter the fact that we and the church are ever evolving as we gain a greater understanding of the written word.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure anyone is suggesting that. We are talking about those things that are written which of course ended with the book of Revelation, but that does not alter the fact that we and the church are ever evolving as we gain a greater understanding of the written word.
I am not implying anyone was....just wanted to add my thoughts to the discussion.
God Bless.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My dad was 90 , the night he died we took him to his room (more like my hubby and I half dragged him , his legs gave out) I settled him down , he was on oxygen and in heart failure.

An hour later , when I came up the hall to check on him...I heard him gasping out Psalm 86 , his big old bible was in his hand ...he always read the bible aloud.
It is one of my sweetest memories. He died 4 hours later. ❤️

God bless him.

Reactions: Helen

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How about 85% which would be the bulk of the NT? Or are you going to keep quibbling about this? The only writings which were yet future were the epistles of John and Revelation. But when Paul wrote 2 Timothy 3:16,17, he was already seeing a COMPLETE Bible. He had already prophesied that prophecies would cease.

I am not quibbling. I am stating fact (truth) which we should treasure above all else because it is the truth that sets us free, not almost the truth.

If the bible was not complete until the canon of scripture was declared at various times by denominations from the 4th century onwards, how could Paul see a complete Bible?

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.