Paul said: give thyself to reading of the scriptures

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You've read most of the posts here. Can you imagine the distorted and confused mess that would come out of some of the mouths here if you, instead, had to audibly listen to them struggling to read aloud? Some people can't even write a legible sentence, let alone read aloud competently.
Give me a good reader up front who actually understands punctuation, and can see the commas in a sentence.

In NT times, when someone read the scriptures publicly, they followed it with a teaching from the text they had just read. Thus when they stood up before the congregation, they did not just give a reading. So I believe in many cases it's even worse than that many can't "read." Most don't have much of anything to teach either because they've long since relegated that responsibility to the pastor. It's a shame how far we've strayed from original New Testament Christianity.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In NT times, when someone read the scriptures publicly, they followed it with a teaching from the text they had just read. Thus when they stood up before the congregation, they did not just give a reading. So I believe in many cases it's even worse than that many can't "read." Most don't have much of anything to teach either because they've long since relegated that responsibility to the pastor. It's a shame how far we've strayed from original New Testament Christianity.
That's a reasonable point. It reminds me of something I say often:
If you cannot read a Scripture, take it into yourself, and repeat it later to someone in your own (completely different) words, then it is possible that you never really understood the Scripture in the first place.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that is...? it is presumptuous to think that everyone understands every word of scripture and bearing in mind what the scriptures say can have all sorts of meanings, so I am asking what is yours?

"All Scripture is God-breathed"
- The Word of God is written by the Spirit and Holy Spirit inspired.

"Useful for teaching"
- God's Word teaches us sound doctrine and what is required of us and how God desires we live.

"Rebuking"
- At times we do have to rebuke another believer for sin in their life, do church discipline, and the Word rebukes us privately in our studies. The Word of God is alive and active, it judges our thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

"Correcting and training in righteousness"
- Scripture is the perfect rule of faith, practice, and godly living.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"All Scripture is God-breathed"
- The Word of God is written by the Spirit and Holy Spirit inspired.

"Useful for teaching"
- God's Word teaches us sound doctrine and what is required of us and how God desires we live.

"Rebuking"
- At times we do have to rebuke another believer for sin in their life, do church discipline, and the Word rebukes us privately in our studies. The Word of God is alive and active, it judges our thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

"Correcting and training in righteousness"
- Scripture is the perfect rule of faith, practice, and godly living.

You have not told us anything new.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That's a reasonable point. It reminds me of something I say often:
If you cannot read a Scripture, take it into yourself, and repeat it later to someone in your own (completely different) words, then it is possible that you never really understood the Scripture in the first place.

it is amazing how much the church ignores reality.

When I was studying for my university degree they taught us that you only remember 20% of what you hear.

You remember 90% of what you teach others.

Many churches love the 20% bit and ignore the 90% bit.

More would be accomplished and done if the teaching was restricted to 20 minutes as that is all you remember which was another thing they taught us, and then those in attendance broke up into groups and taught each other the meaning of what they had heard.

The times I have been told what a wonderful sermon we had today and when I ask what it was about they don't know.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can we take some time — each of us — and tell here, just what "useful for teaching" actually means to us individually, when it comes to knowing that was said about the Scriptures?

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it is amazing how much the church ignores reality.

When I was studying for my university degree they taught us that you only remember 20% of what you hear.

You remember 90% of what you teach others.

Many churches love the 20% bit and ignore the 90% bit.

More would be accomplished and done if the teaching was restricted to 20 minutes as that is all you remember which was another thing they taught us, and then those in attendance broke up into groups and taught each other the meaning of what they had heard.

The times I have been told what a wonderful sermon we had today and when I ask what it was about they don't know.

Not everyone learns the same so that probably wouldn't work in a lot of places. One can't fully expect a pastor to dive into great detail in 20 minuets and touch base with everything he wants to. Many love the idea of short sermons because their heart isn't fully invested. We never get closer to God by limited and cutting short God.

Reactions: Willie T

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Not everyone learns the same so that probably wouldn't work in a lot of places. One can't fully expect a pastor to dive into great detail in 20 minuets and touch base with everything he wants to. Many love the idea of short sermons because their heart isn't fully invested. We never get closer to God by limited and cutting short God.
It goes to show the value of consecutive teaching from the Scriptures.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I am sure you are convinced that you are right but what I said is based on empirical research, so I prefer its findings rather than some guestimate by someone who is not a university professor and hasn't spent years studying the subject.

The more detail you have the shorter the sermon as you forget what is said beyond 20 minutes. Short and sweet is more effective than long and confusing.

Reactions: Helen

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We limit God if we ramble on forever and a day and no one understands what it is all about.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen