Paul's thorn in the flesh

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jlentz

May 6, 2021
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thorn was not physical.....eyesight,limp,etc.
Can you imagine with having to live with the memory of stoning Stephen and destroying the Church? We all have things we want to forget. I can't imagine how he felt. But thanks to God's grace we endure.

Reactions: Taken

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you imagine with having to live with the memory of stoning Stephen and destroying the Church? We all have things we want to forget. I can't imagine how he felt. But thanks to God's grace we endure.

The thorns are enemies - people - messengers of satan. Paul was dealing with much conflict by false teachers and Judaizers.

Again, Scripture explains Scripture.

Judges 2:
Then the Angel of the Lord came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said: “I led you up from Egypt and brought you to the land of which I swore to your fathers; and I said, ‘I will never break My covenant with you. 2 And you shall make no covenant with the inhabitants of this land; you shall tear down their altars.’ But you have not obeyed My voice. Why have you done this? 3 Therefore I also said, ‘I will not drive them out before you; but they shall be thorns in your side, and their gods shall be a snare to you.’ ” 4 So it was, when the Angel of the Lord spoke these words to all the children of Israel, that the people lifted up their voices and wept.

Reactions: Tone and marks

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Paul said it was in the flesh so it in fact was a physical affliction from Satan, have you read Job and how he was given boils?

Job 2:7 So went Satan forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown.

2 Corinthians 12:6-8

6 For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul said it was in the flesh so it in fact was a physical affliction from Satan, have you read Job and how he was given boils?

Job 2:7 So went Satan forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown.

6 For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

But were they actually called thorns?

Judges 2:
Then the Angel of the Lord came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said: “I led you up from Egypt and brought you to the land of which I swore to your fathers; and I said, ‘I will never break My covenant with you. 2 And you shall make no covenant with the inhabitants of this land; you shall tear down their altars.’ But you have not obeyed My voice. Why have you done this? 3 Therefore I also said, ‘I will not drive them out before you; but they shall be thorns in your side, and their gods shall be a snare to you.’ ” 4 So it was, when the Angel of the Lord spoke these words to all the children of Israel, that the people lifted up their voices and wept.

Reactions: marks

Jlentz

May 6, 2021
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A lot of things are called flesh,even living after the flesh. Evil thoughts are freshly. Memory can relate to flesh. But I will not argue scripture. You are free to think as you will.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But were they actually called thorns?

Judges 2:
Those thorns are different.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it is just a Hebrew idiom commonly recognized as enemies - people. We have a similar one. "My mother in law is a pain in the neck.
If there is an answer that comes from the Bible, this is it, I think!

Much love!

Reactions: Jlentz

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe the thorn in his side was that darn rib he was missing...

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We all have things we want to forget.

Yes, I'd like to forget all the women I push away.

Maybe he had to trade the pain in his chest for the thorn in his side...

...I'm not sure if I'd rather have a broken heart (knowing that a wife wasn't for me) or some chronic physical pain...

Jlentz

May 6, 2021
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then Paul didn't have a physical ailment. Glad you agree with me Sister. It was his conscience.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then Paul didn't have a physical ailment. Glad you agree with me Sister. It was his conscience.

He had a problem with his eyes, but that was NOT what was his "thorn in the flesh" nor messengers of satan.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What problem with eyes? Scripture says nothing about it.

Galatians 4:
12 Brethren, I urge you to become like me, for I became like you. You have not injured me at all. 13 You know that because of physical infirmity I preached the gospel to you at the first. 14 And my trial which was in my flesh you did not despise or reject, but you received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. 15 What then was the blessing you enjoyed? For I bear you witness that, if possible, you would have plucked out your own eyes and given them to me.

Jlentz

May 6, 2021
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 4:
12 Brethren, I urge you to become like me, for I became like you. You have not injured me at all. 13 You know that because of physical infirmity I preached the gospel to you at the first. 14 And my trial which was in my flesh you did not despise or reject, but you received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. 15 What then was the blessing you enjoyed? For I bear you witness that, if possible, you would have plucked out your own eyes and given them to me.
What if he said, "you would give your right arm", instead? Wonder what his ailment had been then?