PHOTO THREAD.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
49302934756_8e171c9bfd_b.jpg

Mrs. Barbarian's shot of Bainbridge Island, WA harbor, with Olympic Mountains behind. Shot with a telephoto lens from West Seattle.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When the middle of a lake becomes your only refuge... This was the middle of the day a few hours ago... And that motor may not even run through lack of oxygenView attachment 8229

Oh my goodness bless their hearts.
It is so dangerous for the old people when the air is that thick with smoke.
Very sad :(

Is any of this normal ...or are fires abnormal for you there?

B

brakelite

Oh my goodness bless their hearts.
It is so dangerous for the old people when the air is that thick with smoke.
Very sad :(

Is any of this normal ...or are fires abnormal for you there?
I remember 20 years ago the US went through a similar scenario of mega fires and great destruction. Over the course of 3 years many millions of acres of forest were destroyed, lives lost, buildings gutted. I well remember the answer of a forest service spokesman when asked... Why? I remember because I wrote a sermon on it. Good answer... Because we've been too good at putting out fires. For 60 years since the second World war, the USFS were granted almost unlimited funding and resources to fight fires. Remember Smokey Bear? He was a part of the fight. And they got very very good at putting out fires. The problem with that was that it left them with a major build up of fuel on the forest floor, which meant those mega fires were inevitable.
It's been the same here. The Aborigines knew what was at stake. They for 1000s of years had backburned the forest and grasslands to control the danger. So from the second World war in the US when they recognised that burning forests was a weapon the enemy could use against them (there a whole very interesting story about that where Germany did attempt to do just that) and the year 2000 was 60 years. From the time Australian authorities ceased backburning, (possibly as a result of misguided environmentalism) to the present time...60 years. Go figure.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I remember 20 years ago the US went through a similar scenario of mega fires and great destruction. Over the course of 3 years many millions of acres of forest were destroyed, lives lost, buildings gutted. I well remember the answer of a forest service spokesman when asked... Why? I remember because I wrote a sermon on it. Good answer... Because we've been too good at putting out fires. For 60 years since the second World war, the USFS were granted almost unlimited funding and resources to fight fires. Remember Smokey Bear? He was a part of the fight. And they got very very good at putting out fires. The problem with that was that it left them with a major build up of fuel on the forest floor, which meant those mega fires were inevitable.
It's been the same here. The Aborigines knew what was at stake. They for 1000s of years had backburned the forest and grasslands to control the danger. So from the second World war in the US when they recognised that burning forests was a weapon the enemy could use against them (there a whole very interesting story about that where Germany did attempt to do just that) and the year 2000 was 60 years. From the time Australian authorities ceased backburning, (possibly as a result of misguided environmentalism) to the present time...60 years. Go figure.
Yes still waiting for the greens to show there faces, they have being hiding for sometime since this stared.