Please explain this.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I think it is important to clarify the divide between the official Roman Catholic Church, represented by the Vatican and ordinary Roman Catholics. I am opposed to hierarchies in ANY church, based on Jesus' statement in Matthew 23:8, telling us that, "...all of you are equal as brothers and sisters..." and also the notion of the "priesthood of all believers". While the Bible mandates some organization in local churches, I see no warrant for some centralized authority of wealth and power as is seen in the Vatican. Men are easily seduced by power and wealth--even King David was. This will get me into trouble with some here but I'll say it anyway: I am convinced that there are many real Christians within the RCC. But, on the other hand, I am confounded as to how they can stay there when it is clear that the RCC is very corrupt at the top of the power structure.

I don't think it is a matter of forgiving. I think it is a matter of not wanting anything to do with the corruption. True Christians have just as much of a problem with the corruption and hypocrisy present in many evangelical mega churches. All true believers are part of the Bride of Christ and we should keep ourselves separate from any institution that seeks to take advantage of our sheep-like inclinations to keep us confined to a pen, while it fleeces us. There are multiple reasons why more and more Christians are going to house churches and one of them is that perhaps we are returning to our roots. Before Constantine herded Christians into the large basilicas of the ROMAN Catholic Church, there was the Bride of Christ, in all of "her" local expressions, believing God, worshiping Christ, helping the poor and the downtrodden. She is still here today and will be until our Bridegroom comes to take us to where He is. May it be soon. Amen?
Yes. I've had enough and I don't even know everything that's going on.
I'm up in this valley protected by a lot of stuff. When I lived in NYC I used to worry all the time...I know it's worse now, but sure doesn't seem like it from up here.
The CC is trying so hard now to inform the congregation and to teach. Even here we have bible studies now, believe it or not. And they happen to be very good.
There's a bit of talk about Mary,,,but depending what is said, it's OK with me. She was, after all, the mother of Jesus and should receive the proper respect. God chose her for her role so when we argue against her, I feel we're arguing against how God wanted His salvation economy to function.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so youre saying that the woman did not see Samuel then,
1 Samuel 28:12 But when the woman saw Samuel, she cried out in a loud voice and said to Saul, "Why have you deceived me? You are Saul!"

not denying this, see, this is not the point of the passage, to approve or disapprove of the practice. The practice is condemned by God, yes

I would say that, yes, of course she saw Samuel, scripture is clear on that. Does not mean it was God's Spirit that brought him up from the ground.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saul and the witch of Endor were undoubtedly speaking to a demon who looked like Samuel. Witches have demons as their constant companions.

Yes, that is what I have been trying to say, lol. I guess I'm just not good at explaining my meanings sometimes ♥

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
all pretty much disagreein with each other on the surface but down a little deeper all believin the ezact same thing, huh, one thing, just one single thing
Curious, what thing is this?

much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would suggest reading the epistle of Paul to the Romans all the way through, once a day, for about three weeks; and perhaps also include the epistle of Paul to the Galatians in that reading.
Great suggestion!

I find that reading the same book of the Bible over and over 30 or 50 times in a row to be fantastic!

And the reading seems to go more slowly the more times you repeat.

Much love!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the reason why certain people cannot understand the kjv is the principle of 1 Corinthians 2:14. They read it and think with their natural minds and therefore it comes across as foolishness to them and they cannot receive it and they do not understand it. They need the Holy Spirit to be able to understand it. Therefore, the kjv requires a dependence upon the Holy Spirit if one is going to understand it. Other translations make the concepts palatable to the natural mind.

What is sacrificed is the power of the gospel to save; because the concepts are watered-down to increase palatability. And the lack of potency means that salvation will not come through reading such translations except by a true miracle; over and above the miracle of regular salvation that comes more easily when you are reading the kjv: because while in reading the kjv you may not understand it, the seed is potent: but in reading other translations you may be able to understand the concept but the potency of the seed is lost or compromised. So it is a miracle either way: 1) to understand the kjv well enough to be saved by its concepts, or 2) to somehow infuse potency into that which is not potent enough to bring salvation, in translations other than the kjv.

Most definitely.

I understood it as a new Christian.

Sorry, the kjv does not have any mistakes. The ones that are most often touted do not count and there are only two or three. One of them is "Easter" (which I hold to be an accurate translation of pascha when you take into account that pascha was the word for Easter in Greek culture when the kjv was translated); and the other is "God forbid" which is simply taking into account the idioms of the day. When debating the kjv-only controversy, I do not find the opposition speaking of anything other than these, as examples of mistakes in the kjv. And they simply do not count.

It really depends on whether you are counting on your works to save you or whether you are relying wholly on the grace of God. If you are relying wholly on the grace of God, then you are covered by the grace of the Lord when you mess up. But if you are relying on your works to keep you saved, then you cannot be relying on the grace of God. Because grace and works are mutually exclusive when it comes to salvation (Romans 11:5-6 (kjv)). So then, the person relying on works to save them cannot revert back to grace when they mess up: they are required to do those works and if they fail to do them there is condemnation; because if they are saved by works, they are condemned over the lack of them.

This is where I find you deeply lacking in understanding of the most basic doctrines of the holy scriptures. I would suggest reading the epistle of Paul to the Romans all the way through, once a day, for about three weeks; and perhaps also include the epistle of Paul to the Galatians in that reading. These books of the Bible are essential to our understanding of the doctrines of salvation. Ask the Holy Spirit to speak to you while you are reading and to give you insight, understanding, wisdom, revelation, knowledge, and faith from your encounter with the Lord in His word. Pray also that it will be an encounter.

Pro 10:8, The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a prating fool shall fall.

The KJV is what I started on, and I love it. It makes it so much easier to remember scripture, because of the old English. I have the NIV also, and I think I have an NASB somewhere. I always get drawn to the KJV though...it is my go to. And, I find most other bibles just paraphrase but, good to have them too so as to make clear certain language in the KJV. I will never say that that is the ONLY true Word Of God but, it has beautiful language!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saul and the witch of Endor were undoubtedly speaking to a demon who looked like Samuel. Witches have demons as their constant companions.
Hi LC,

Just the same, if we take it at it's word . . .

1 Samuel 28
15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do.
16 Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the Lord is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy?

Scripture identifies the speaker as Samuel, I for one wouldn't want to say anything different.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If this was a topic on the KJV, then I would reply with:
If the KJV is so easy to understand for modern readers, then "What is a 'charger'?"
Its a large plate or platter, of course.

Or . . . just using reason, something that a girl can carry a severed head in. It's not always easy, but I think it's worth it.

I'm not KJV only, but I think it's the best of the bunch in a lot of ways.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm up in this valley protected by a lot of stuff. When I lived in NYC I used to worry all the time...I know it's worse now, but sure doesn't seem like it from up here.
The CC is trying so hard now to inform the congregation and to teach. Even here we have bible studies now, believe it or not. And they happen to be very good.
There's a bit of talk about Mary,,,but depending what is said, it's OK with me. She was, after all, the mother of Jesus and should receive the proper respect. God chose her for her role so when we argue against her, I feel we're arguing against how God wanted His salvation economy to function.

I don't have any problem with respecting Mary as the blessed woman to have given birth to Our Lord Jesus. What I have a problem with is the insistence that she is the "co-redemptrix" or any of that nonsense. It is blasphemy to worship anyone but God the Father, Son and I'm undecided as to whether we are supposed to worship the Holy Spirit. But, definitely NOT Mary--anymore than we should worship any of the Apostles (who refused worship) or the angels (who also refused worship). I too live in a place that is far removed from the strife of the large cities. It is very peaceful here.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I don't have any problem with respecting Mary as the blessed woman to have given birth to Our Lord Jesus. What I have a problem with is the insistence that she is the "co-redemptrix" or any of that nonsense. It is blasphemy to worship anyone but God the Father, Son and I'm undecided as to whether we are supposed to worship the Holy Spirit. But, definitely NOT Mary--anymore than we should worship any of the Apostles (who refused worship) or the angels (who also refused worship). I too live in a place that is far removed from the strife of the large cities. It is very peaceful here.
Agreed on all.
About worshipping the Holy Spirit....
we don't even pray to Him.
But I've been told that we can...He IS God.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I didn't think this was ever going to happen, but...I sort of understand you better now...never understood what you meant by "homo." I think you just mean straight and queer in a much different way than I've understood.
hmm, i might be getting you here, if we are talking about spiritual homos; who are not, in that lexicon, gay ppl who want to go up to heaven, as the internet has defined "homospiritual" iow, but rather more aptly ppl who are commonly oppressed for a personal choice that they make, that arent Scripturally homo at all until they decide they want to go up to heaven after they have died? So like that

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Its a large plate or platter, of course.

Or . . . just using reason, something that a girl can carry a severed head in. It's not always easy, but I think it's worth it.

I'm not KJV only, but I think it's the best of the bunch in a lot of ways.

Much love!
Oh. I thought a Charger was a fast car.

YOU know this because you read it.
What if you were reading it for the first time?
You'd have to come to a common sense conclusion
OR you'd have to look it up somewhere.

I think some persons worship the KJV instead of God.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
the Virgin
(Athena, to us) ("Mary," For a meaning of the name Mary, NOBSE Study Bible Name List has "same as Miriam," and for Miriam it proposes Obstinacy (Stubbornness). Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names explains the "-am" ending of Miriam to be the third person masculine plural pronominal suffix and reads Their Rebellion.)
will be with child

and as you have said before, we like Nehushtan, right, Nehushtan sounds all evil or whatever when i'm done with him but he is an essential component in our--meaning our, anyone's, every soul's on the planet, regardless of what term might be used, thousands of diff terms prolly--psychological makeup, repeated over and over, santa claus, mercury, apollos, hermes, Jesus, doesnt matter see

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh. I thought a Charger was a fast car.

YOU know this because you read it.
What if you were reading it for the first time?
You'd have to come to a common sense conclusion
OR you'd have to look it up somewhere.

I think some persons worship the KJV instead of God.

Do you think I worship the KJV?

Don't we all learn new words by looking them up? I'd say a good common sense conclusion, if we didn't know what it was, would be to think it was something suitable for the purpose.

Much love!

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi LC,

Just the same, if we take it at it's word . . .

1 Samuel 28
15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do.
16 Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the Lord is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy?

Scripture identifies the speaker as Samuel, I for one wouldn't want to say anything different.

Much love!

There is no such thing as punctuation marks in Hebrew. If there were quotation marks around Samuel, we would know that it was a fake Samuel. I am okay with it either way--it is a minor point. It seems inconsistent with God's character to allow a sorceress and necromancer to use the departed soul of Samuel to deliver any kind of a message to Saul, BUT, He did permit a "lying spirit" to be used to deceive Ahab.