Please explain this.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can't do that myself.

All the king's horses and all the king's men, couldn't put Humpty together again...

But the King could.

Sounds like a lot of falling and grafting to me - and a bit of a game of hot potato at the end too

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jas 3:7, For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:

I have an aversion to serpents...but if I were living in a third-world country and one was threatening the village, I would not be on the lunatic fringe to capture the snake and put it in captivity so that it would not be of harm to anyone.

Mark 16:18
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:18
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
I'm aware of the verse...and am also aware of the fact that there are those who hold that those who believe that it is inspired are on the lunatic fringe.

But I have shown how believing that verse does not put anyone on the lunatic fringe per se.

Now if they are handling poisonous serpents just to prove that they are Christians, then that is taking the verse too far. It is a sin to tempt the Lord.

But taking up serpents for the reason that I stated in post #2121 (Please explain this.) isn't so far out there that I would even consider it to be crazy.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How do you figure?

Once a man begins to truly abide...he cannot cease to abide.

Now come come......Which is it ? You can't have it both ways...do you believe what you said here above... or do you believe what you are saying here below?
Pick one ;)

Of course, in those moments, I am not abiding; and it is questionable as to whether I would go to heaven if I died, or up in the rapture, if either of those were to occur in a moment when I am not abiding in Him.

See you tomorrow. :)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the second statement, I am using a literary tactic in which I personalize a certain situation even though it may not apply to me.

Paul the apostle did something similar when he said in Romans 7:14, I am carnal, sold under sin... and then proceeded to define what it means to be carnal.

I don't believe that Paul was in a carnal state when he wrote that.

If he was, then you have holy scripture being penned by someone who is carnal (and not spiritual...see 1 Corinthians 3:1).

Rather, Paul was using a literary tactic of identification to define carnality to all of us (see 1 Corinthians 9:22). Paul shows in Romans 7:14-25 that carnality has mainly to do with being bound to the letter of the law and a focus on it, as a means of saving one's self from sin. I believe that a person can have this mentality and also believe in Jesus Christ; but I would say also that this mentality is something that is contrary to faith in Jesus Christ.

When a man comes to real faith in Jesus apart from that mentality, they can begin to walk in victory (according to Romans 8).

As for the first statement, I find that it is a biblical truth whether I am an example of it or not.

Scripture: 1 John 2:17, 1 John 3:6.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you figure?

Once a man begins to truly abide...he cannot cease to abide.

if we are honest with ourselves, we cycle between selfish back to selfless throughout a single day. We do so because we are human and we get hungry, angry, lonely and tired, which contributes to frustration, irritation, and tendencies to lash out.

Thankfully, God is infinitely patient and knows we are learning to love perfectly and He knows what we need to take care of ourselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and Helen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm aware of the verse...and am also aware of the fact that there are those who hold that those who believe that it is inspired are on the lunatic fringe.

But I have shown how believing that verse does not put anyone on the lunatic fringe per se.

Now if they are handling poisonous serpents just to prove that they are Christians, then that is taking the verse too far. It is a sin to tempt the Lord.

But taking up serpents for the reason that I stated in post #2121 (Please explain this.) isn't so far out there that I would even consider it to be crazy.

I understand that you could capture a dangerous snake to protect a tribe of people. Yet, you know you have no better chance of avoiding a deadly bite than anyone else

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only the Dude abides...

You mean Jesus?

I beg to differ:

1Jo 2:27, But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Therefore, we also, are able to abide.

Seriously, if we are honest with ourselves, we cycle between selfish back to selfless throughout our day. We do so because we are human and we get hungry, angry, lonely and tired, which contributes to frustration, irritation, and tendencies to lash out.

It really does help to have a devotional time every morning. I find that when I do this, the tendency to sin in these manners is very much dealt with.

Abiding has to do with drawing up nourishment from the vine. Not sinning (cf. 1 John 3:6) is only the outcropping of the fact that we are abiding in such a fashion.

I understand that you could capture a dangerous snake to protect a tribe of people. Yet, you know you have no better chance of avoiding a deadly bite than anyone else

I had a friend that captured a rattler; and there was a lower chance of him being bitten because he used a stick and held its head down until he could take it up with his hand. If he had gone after it without first subduing it with the stick, the chances of being bitten would have been much higher.

Reactions: Helen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if I am not willing to obey Him at any given moment, He will get out of the way and let me be in control of my life.

Hi justbyfaith,

Isn't more like that in those moments, this is the flesh asserting itself, and you simply need to put off the old man, his thoughts, his ways, and put on the new man, His thoughts and His ways? And this being the case, the disobedience is just more of the same of what the old man was condemned and executed for?

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only the Dude abides...

Sorry

Seriously, if we are honest with ourselves, we cycle between selfish back to selfless throughout our day. We do so because we are human and we get hungry, angry, lonely and tired, which contributes to frustration, irritation, and tendencies to lash out.

Thankfully, God is infinitely patient and knows we are learning to love perfectly and He know what we need to take care of ourselves.
Yes, I see in this cycling back and forth the same thing that was happening with natural Israel. They repeatedly had to return to the priests within the enclosure of the tabernacle to the outer court to supposedly repent [and offer sacrifices] and then back outside the enclosure they went only to sin the same sin again. This is the normal way of men. Hopefully as we continue to strive and surrender repeatedly the Light will enlighten us as to this foolishness we practice and bring us to a place of real repentance. Repentance is supposed to be a permanent change in us and our ways for the better. Perhaps we really meant it that way when we repented, but then we started looking behind us again to the pleasures we found in sin... and back we went again.

God is patient, but His patience with us is limited to the time that He has allotted to each of us. Where we are then at the end of our course is the significant thing.

"And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved." Matt 10:22

Reactions: Grailhunter

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi justbyfaith,

Isn't more like that in those moments, this is the flesh asserting itself, and you simply need to put off the old man, his thoughts, his ways, and put on the new man, His thoughts and His ways? And this being the case, the disobedience is just more of the same of what the old man was condemned and executed for?

Much love!
Amen brother.

I find that more and more, I surrender to the Lordship of Jesus Christ in those situations where my flesh would seek to assert itself so that I would do what I want to do rather than what the Holy Spirit wants for me.

Reactions: Helen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I see in this cycling back and forth the same thing that was happening with natural Israel. They repeatedly had to return to the priests within the enclosure of the tabernacle to the outer court to supposedly repent [and offer sacrifices] and then back outside the enclosure they went only to sin the same sin again. This is the normal way of men. Hopefully as we continue to strive and surrender repeatedly the Light will enlighten us as to this foolishness we practice and bring us to a place of real repentance. Repentance is supposed to be a permanent change in us and our ways for the better. Perhaps we really meant it that way when we repented, but then we started looking behind us again to the pleasures we found in sin... and back we went again.

God is patient, but His patience with us is limited to the time that He has allotted to each of us. Where we are then at the end of our course is the significant thing.

"And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved." Matt 10:22

There is a theory in psychology that describes this rhythm - attachment theory, specifically The Circle of Security

Reactions: amadeus

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the religion of psychology was prophesied about in the following scripture:

Psa 119:69, The proud have forged a lie against me: but I will keep thy precepts with my whole heart.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am sorry to hear that
Truly, there are three tenets within psychology that are intended to be a source of persecution for those who would live out their life faithfully as believers in Christ:

1) persecution complex: if someone believes such verses as Matthew 5:10-12, Luke 6:22, and/or 2 Timothy 3:10-12 to the point that it affects their attitude towards people who are adverse to them, they are given a worse diagnosis by the system of psychology/psychiatry.

2) religious preoccupation: If someone takes to heart Psalms 1 and/or 1 Peter 2:2-3, and spends time reading God's word while under observation, they are considered to be worse off by their psychiatrist/judger.

3) watching and waiting for the Lord's return: if someone takes into account (and lives by) such verses as Mark 13:33-37, 2 Corinthians 6:5, 2 Corinthians 11:27, and/or Revelation 3:3, they are considered to have a problem mentally.

Yet none of these things has to do with being truly mentally ill. These things are attitudes that we are to take on as believers in Christ. However, if we take them on as attitudes, we will be persecuted by the mental health system and those who know that they can utilize it to slander our names and destroy our honour through specific labels/diagnoses. But the psychiatric system considers it to be mental illness; and therefore those who hold to that system of belief are quick to judge us as being on the lunatic fringe, who carry the attitudes that Jesus told us to carry.

It is a system that is indeed a lie forged against the true believer in Christ.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Jo 3:1, Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

1Co 2:15 (nkjv), But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a theory in psychology that describes this rhythm - attachment theory, specifically The Circle of Security
But perhaps God would like to help permanently break out of the circle. People say it is impossible for us not to sin, but if we could, would not that be breaking out of it? Is that not really why Jesus came and laid down his life? Impossible!

"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:27