Please give me your honest reaction to this song/ video.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I realize it's a video, that's why I put more significance onto it. It's all intentional for effect. And I realize I've just climbed out on a thin shakey branch, so be it. It's all to communicate a message.

It's between him and God. Not me. I'll do better to just stick with my first comment, it's not my thing.

Much love!
Rap isn't my thing either, but I feel this song in my soul. It's like they put words to my feelings about my country and what's happening. And we have definitely been dancing with the devil too long, even some of the church have.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rap isn't my thing either, but I feel this song in my soul. It's like they put words to my feelings about my country and what's happening. And we have definitely been dancing with the devil too long, even some of the church have.
You're not the only one!

:)

But those of you dancing with the devil, you should stop that.

Much love!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And I realize I've just climbed out on a thin shakey branch, so be it. It's all to communicate a message.
NO... I think you climbed out on a big FAT branch where many Christians sit in disgust of those with tattoos and piercings.
In personal ministering, I've long been drawn to people with lots of tattoos, piercings, or lower functioning, or on the edges of society, or, maybe something else that sets them apart from the herd. I've always been on the fringes myself.

I think it's the inner brokenness I see in them, which I know in myself. Though I don't have the outer accoutrements, still, birds of a feather and all that!
That is why I was so shocked to hear your comment.... It just seemed to be totally opposite of what I have come to know of you.
I used to have this saying.... I can deal with one thousand drug addicts... prostitutes... drunks... homeless... depressed people... but I can't deal with ONE legalistic Christian. I came up with this saying when I was living with my own aunt 7 years ago.

Street ministry is my specialty... It's what I am good at... because of exactly what you have mentioned in your post... they recognize their own brokenness and need. I can also relate to them... I feel them... Ironically there are so many Christians that I don't feel...or what I do feel is nothing but judgement and condemnation.

With all the above said... I don't think the normal person is part of a GANG... or CRIME RING.... those are ministries that NOT your average bear can deal with... I believe GOD has to really BREAK these hardcore criminals... and their deliverance often happens while they are incarcerated.

My niece grew up on this type of music... She rebelled against her legalistic Christian family from little girl on... She is full of tattoos as is her husband. She is the only one in my family who I have anything to do with... because she is the generation that I care about... All the damage done to her by her Christian family who does nothing but JUDGE the outside of the cup... all the while not recognizing the INSIDE of their cups are filthy.

This rant... all before my first morning tea... LOL

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NO... I think you climbed out on a big FAT branch where many Christians sit in disgust of those with tattoos and piercings.
That is NOT me.

I think tattoos and piercings are ugly. I think that these things denigrate the beautiful bodies God gave us. But I do NOT sit in disgust of those who have them.

Tattoos and piercings and rebellion go hand in hand. Of course there's the push to normalize that behavior like so much else.

But please please do not mistake my disgust of tattoos for some disgust of those who have them. People have needs, and some wear their neediness on their skin.

Maybe relate this to something else . . . a drug addict . . . I hate the drug addiction . . . the effects of the drug . . . but I'd do whatever I could to help them to know something better.

One of my friends, I haven't seen him for a couple of years now, he's one of these fellows, tattoos over most his body, including a devil head covering one side of his neck up onto his face, lots of piercings, rings, spikes, stuff like that. I met him when he was in the hospital because he had pushed large sewing needles into his leg, and then moved in such a way that they were all pulled in, and he couldn't get them out.

He is just like me. That was his way of acting out to compensate for depression, I had my own ways. But now we just live with our depression instead of "energizing" through self-destructive behavior.

I love my friend, and I hate the tattoos, and I hate the needles, and I hate all the things people do to themselves, I hate what I do, all the disgusting garbage that people do trying to make themselves feel better, and instead, well, I guess I'm on my own rant now.

Motivations are tricky things and many people are really good at fooling themselves. I don't think this stuff is good, or innocent, I think it's fleshy, and I don't believe in glorifying it.

But because I hate the act, this doesn't mean I hate the person.

Much love!

Reactions: amadeus

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Tattoos and piercings and rebellion go hand in hand. Of course there's the push to normalize that behavior like so much else.
I have heard you loud and clear... I also agree that most tattoos are ugly... but I don't understand the rebellion thing... other than doing it AGAINST those Christians who have such disdain... as was the case with my niece... the family made such an awful noise about NOT getting tattoos that she chose to rebel. That is not often the case with body art.

I am sorry if you felt I was accusing you... I was simply stating you are on the branch of the NORM of Christian thinking on this topic.

Personally... I don't have an opinion on the subject of tattoos or piercings... I see it as artistic expression... and often bad choices that people have to live with for the rest of their lives unless they pay for removal. Other than that... I do not see this is a CHRISTIAN topic at all.

Anyways... this was originally about WHAT do you think of this song!!! I answered that.... I am OUT.

Reactions: amadeus and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but I don't understand the rebellion thing...
I've been in counter-culture crowds a long time, I get it. And I see it brought into Christianity, not repudiated as works of the flesh, but embraced as something good.

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is NOT me.

I think tattoos and piercings are ugly. I think that these things denigrate the beautiful bodies God gave us. But I do NOT sit in disgust of those who have them.

But please please do not mistake my disgust of tattoos for some disgust of those who have them. People have needs, and some wear their neediness on their skin.

Maybe relate this to something else . . . a drug addict . . . I hate the drug addiction . . . the effects of the drug . . . but I'd do whatever I could to help them to know something better.

One of my friends, I haven't seen him for a couple of years now, he's one of these fellows, tattoos over most his body, including a devil head covering one side of his neck up onto his face, lots of piercings, rings, spikes, stuff like that. I met him when he was in the hospital because he had pushed large sewing needles into his leg, and then moved in such a way that they were all pulled in, and he couldn't get them out.

He is just like me. That was his way of acting out to compensate for depression, I had my own ways. But now we just live with our depression instead of "energizing" through self-destructive behavior.

I love my friend, and I hate the tattoos, and I hate the needles, and I hate all the things people do to themselves, I hate what I do, all the disgusting garbage that people do trying to make themselves feel better, and instead, well, I guess I'm on my own rant now.

Motivations are tricky things and many people are really good at fooling themselves. I don't think this stuff is good, or innocent, I think it's fleshy, and I don't believe in glorifying it.

But because I hate the act, this doesn't mean I hate the person.

Much love!
You expressed yourself here well my friend. Give God the glory!

Reactions: marks

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I've been in counter-culture crowds a long time, I get it. And I see it brought into Christianity, not repudiated as works of the flesh, but embraced as something good.
I don't have a clue what you are talking about here... What I see is that some Christians think tattoos and piercings are sinful.

I do not have an opinion about this other than it's not my cup of tea.... and I do not buy into the thinking that what we put on our bodies is sinful... I have seen many "pretty' tattoos... I believe for the most part it is artistic expression... again.. not my cup of tea.

I have worked in street ministry and yes... many drug addicts had tattoos but the tattoos/piercings were the LEAST of their worries.

Again... you are the LAST person I ever thought I'd be having this conversation with.

I am truly sorry I quoted you... I really have no desire to be discussing the topic of the morality of tattoos/piercings.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was simply stating you are on the branch of the NORM of Christian thinking on this topic.

When you say this, I still feel like something isn't connecting . . . but I don't want to be at odds with you, and I'm hoping we're all good!

I was really just meaning to give on opinion on a video, which I didn't even want to watch, so maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut.

Much love!

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

That is why I was so shocked to hear your comment.... It just seemed to be totally opposite of what I have come to know of you.
I used to have this saying.... I can deal with one thousand drug addicts... prostitutes... drunks... homeless... depressed people... but I can't deal with ONE legalistic Christian. I came up with this saying when I was living with my own aunt 7 years ago.

Street ministry is my specialty... It's what I am good at... because of exactly what you have mentioned in your post... they recognize their own brokenness and need. I can also relate to them... I feel them... Ironically there are so many Christians that I don't feel...or what I do feel is nothing but judgement and condemnation.

With all the above said... I don't think the normal person is part of a GANG... or CRIME RING.... those are ministries that NOT your average bear can deal with... I believe GOD has to really BREAK these hardcore criminals... and their deliverance often happens while they are incarcerated.

My niece grew up on this type of music... She rebelled against her legalistic Christian family from little girl on... She is full of tattoos as is her husband. She is the only one in my family who I have anything to do with... because she is the generation that I care about... All the damage done to her by her Christian family who does nothing but JUDGE the outside of the cup... all the while not recognizing the INSIDE of their cups are filthy.

This rant... all before my first morning tea... LOL

Amen !! I hate legalism

The prohibition on the Torah against tattoos was for a specific context in a specific time in history . The kind of tattoos forbidden are those linked to idol worship . The Israelites were God's people and set apart from the pagans around them. Eating certain foods, not wearing tattoos etc was part of that

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When you say this, I still feel like something isn't connecting . . . but I don't want to be at odds with you, and I'm hoping we're all good!
I don't want to be at odds with you either... THIS issue of tattoos and piercings is one that I STAY away from... I innocently gave my opinion on the song... made a comment that I was touched by the tattooed praying hands... and then you made your comment.

There are some Christians who believe that tattoos and piercings are a sin... THAT is all I am saying... I don't AGREE at all with this thinking...

So if you are on that page... then yeah... we are not in agreement on this issue... and that is ok.

Things are shocking me lately... that's on me.. not you.

Reactions: Renniks and marks

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I also agree with that. I haven't been in this forum long but I am sure they aren't
I put my nose in this thread... sometimes misunderstandings occur... There are certain people who I will take the time to speak with and others I don't bother with.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are some Christians who believe that tattoos and piercings are a sin... THAT is all I am saying... I don't AGREE at all with this thinking...

So if you are on that page... then yeah... we are not in agreement on this issue... and that is ok.

It's not what's on the skin, it's what's in the heart.

Much love!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's not what's on the skin, it's what's in the heart.
So... Why am I confused and shocked by your comment to me then??
I am not understanding something you are trying to articulate.
I have READ you to say the opposite of what you have posted here.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mantis

@Heart2Soul has written a lot of encouraging posts over the months and years...
Thank you for the acknowledgement brother...it is very encouraging.
And you have presented excellent applications of scripture as it relates to the topic....and some very beautiful poetry to boot!
God bless

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So... Why am I confused and shocked by your comment to me then??
I am not understanding something you are trying to articulate.
I have READ you to say the opposite of what you have posted here.
Sometimes we do not even understand ourselves! So then how can we be expected to have a perfect understanding of someone else! The only one who never misses is God!