Please help my head to not explode

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Fundamentalistic Christianese" is a good example of a dialectic. And so is "hood slang", or "Valley Girl" language. A particular group's speech reflects their cohesive thinking and esoteric oneness though they may be in disagreement on specifics.
I hear what you're saying!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I say I do come to synthesis. But the people who argue verses against each other don't. Because they refuse some of the information.

We have to be ready to modify our views at a moment's notice. I find so many who, when I try to go to the level of actually digging into those passages that seem to contradict, they don't want to. For myself, if I can learn that I've been wrong about something, than I've gained immeasurably.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have to be ready to modify our views at a moment's notice. I find so many who, when I try to go to the level of actually digging into those passages that seem to contradict, they don't want to. For myself, if I can learn that I've been wrong about something, than I've gained immeasurably.
Much love!
"For myself, if I can learn that I've been wrong about something, than I've gained immeasurably."
For reals Marks! Sure beats hiding our head in the sand, remaining in ignorance! :confused:

Reactions: marks

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
*Stunnedbygrace*,
I want to thank you for bringing this up. It got me to digging back through some of my old school documents, and I ran across The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook.
Although I focused upon REBT, I began to remember how fascinated I was with DBT.

Since I am ridiculed for getting many of my books online, I won't offer this to anyone. But, I imagine you CAN still find copies of it online.

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
*Stunnedbygrace*,
I want to thank you for bringing this up. It got me to digging back through some of my old school documents, and I ran across The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook.
Although I focused upon REBT, I began to remember how fascinated I was with DBT.

Since I am ridiculed for getting many of my books online, I won't offer this to anyone. But, I imagine you CAN still find copies of it online.
That reminds me . . . having studied and used DBT, I want to remember to learn more about REBT. Got a good download recommendation?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or I can just google . . .

"its foundation is the belief that it is not the events in our lives that cause our emotions, rather it is our beliefs that cause us to experience emotions such as anger, depression, and anxiety. It is a mode to consider and change our irrational beliefs and has shown to have a favorable effect on reducing emotional pain."

REBT: A Smarter, More Effective Approach to Treatment

We know all things work together for good . . . and now I have peace!

So this works!

Much love!

Reactions: Willie T

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Or I can just google . . .

"its foundation is the belief that it is not the events in our lives that cause our emotions, rather it is our beliefs that cause us to experience emotions such as anger, depression, and anxiety. It is a mode to consider and change our irrational beliefs and has shown to have a favorable effect on reducing emotional pain."

REBT: A Smarter, More Effective Approach to Treatment

We know all things work together for good . . . and now I have peace!

So this works!

Much love!
Sorry, I've lost the thread of meaning...but I do recognize the quote from Romans 8... :)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think, farouk, they were saying this model goes by not trying to get someone to get control over their emotions but rather it was a faulty belief that caused the bad emotions, so you focus on the faulty belief...sort of?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In other words, don't try to change the emotion that led to say...explosive anger, but try to a dress the root of the problem.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think, farouk, they were saying this model goes by not trying to get someone to get control over their emotions but rather it was a faulty belief that caused the bad emotions, so you focus on the faulty belief...sort of?
That's my understanding.

I won't be distressed by that which distresses me when I come to know it's not distressing.

I'm frustrated by my weakness, but when I learn it's the very thing God uses to fill me with His glorious power, I realize my weakness is my greatest strength, and I the fact that I'm so so weak, well, cool! It means God fills me up with His power!

:)

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, I've lost the thread of meaning...but I do recognize the quote from Romans 8... :)
We don't need to be upset or alarmed or angry about things that happen once we've come to believe that all of them, every last one of them, are being used by our loving Father to work an eternity of good in us.

Again, addressing how we interpret the same set of facts that result in one or another emotional reaction.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's the best way to understand it.
1. You say something.
2. I contradict you.
3. Then you contradict me.
4. And round and round we go around the mulberry bush.

This sounds like something my wife does to me all the time, although she's getting better about it now...

But if I chose to ignore her, I would usually hear something like this; her way of checking to see if I was still paying attention:

432faa3a03a5e8f238a8ba011d60a83d.jpg

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't tell me to go look it up because I don't have the intelligence to understand when I did that.

What is a "dialectic"? And if you just go look it up like I did and then try to give me the same definitions I just read, that won't help me.

I need someone who understands it to give me examples, not definitions. What are some examples of a "dialectic." EXAMPLES- not definitions. Please.
SBG: If the objective is to know the truth in scriptures, then dialectic reasoning the the wrong method. We must use spiritual methods.

The Spirit does not do dialectic reasoning with a person to provide them the truth in the scriptures.
I do not do this type of reasoning to reach the truth with anyone. And I do not expect them to do the same with me.

Now, if the objective is to find common ground, in search of the truth, then it is quite an effective tool. The exchange of ideas though must be in a form of objective exchange , a non-emotional exchange.

It uses an objective thesis-antithesis reduction reasoning method to come to a reasonable common conclusion,and not necessarily the truth.

Bless you,

APAK

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An example I often used to new introductees to REBT is this:

Imagine yourself driving along when you are abruptly cut-off. The driver speeds on, but this does not keep you from fuming and cussing, thinking somewhat less than kind thoughts about him.

About a mile down the road you see this same car smashed up against a light pole. You stop and inquire... kind of gloating that he got his... only to be informed that the driver suffered a heart attack, apparently about ten minutes ago...…….. just before the time he was passing you.

Your new perception of things quickly gets your previously runaway emotions settled down.

Reactions: amadeus

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Don't tell me to go look it up because I don't have the intelligence to understand when I did that.

What is a "dialectic"? And if you just go look it up like I did and then try to give me the same definitions I just read, that won't help me.

I need someone who understands it to give me examples, not definitions. What are some examples of a "dialectic." EXAMPLES- not definitions. Please.

The bible as a whole is dialectical...seemingly contradictory because there is more than one thing going on. When both seemingly contradictory poles are both held up together the truth is revealed.

So the biblical dialectic is that there is the natural realm...that we can perceive with our natural senses. And there is a spiritual realm which can only be perceived by spiritual senses.

When we take BOTH of these into account in any given doctrine...we can say that the truth is dialectical.

An example is "the just shall live in his faith." This could be for a man...his own faith for his own righteousness...or the faith OF Jesus for His righteousness. The seeming ambiguity of the word for "his" is transferable.

Other dialectics are death and life (simultaneously)...mercy and truth....etc..

Last edited: