Poll Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should i Read the bible for myself

• Yes (give me a book to start on)

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No (reason please)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
why would i be judge for works.
There are two extreams of Christian thought about good works.

The legalists, whom are often rebuked in the new testament.
The Hyper-grace people, who don't think anyone needs to exercise self control.

Both are unbiblical extremes, and there are many opinions that fall in between even on these forums. As you're reading the scriptures you will have to work these out.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
what's with the quotation marks
they are my response to your quote, for instance you postulated that i was making fun of you in a quote you snipped, but the part you snipped out contained the apology that was meant to prevent your feeling made fun of? Typing is a difficult way to communicate though, and i am pretty hard to understand even in person i guess, so that's surely on me lol

Reactions: Mister Michael

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
why should we care whate we do.

Good question, there are a few reasons.

The carnal mind understands we suffer consequences for actions. This is basic if you put your hand on a hot stove you will get burned. It also fears God's judgement, even if it denies God himself. You will notice unrepentant sinners have an unreasonable hatred for a God they deny exists.

The regenerated mind loves God and wants to do his will. It is God's will to do good.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
why should we care whate we do.
bc we reap what we sow? but if you are a Nihilist, at the moment anyway, imo go find @ScottA he is a great guy, and Nihilism can be quite instructive.

It's also satanic and anti-Scriptural past a certain point, but we are all deceived anyway, and all is forgiven;
you decide where that point is
Nihilism is as good a place to be from as any other religion imo, might even be better for some

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"
The gospel which Paul carried to Lydia was probably quite different than the condensed version we find on billboards of churches today. Nowadays we love to be reminded that two thousand years ago a selfless act of a super-human relieved us of all our responsibilities except having to obey authorities (such as governments, bosses, popes and such). Back then (before governments and popes had had the opportunity to explain the gospel for two thousand years), Jesus of Nazareth still stood for the one's personal conscience, one's personal hotline to God, and one's personal responsibility to not partake in any kind of injustice, from waging war for profit, to inflating people's livelihoods (by exchanging money), to financing the destruction of crop and livestock diversity and the genetic balance of the biosphere (by buying from certain restaurant chains and food producers), to financing the destruction of entire local economies (by buying products from certain multinationals), to endorsing the deforestation of essential and sacred habitats (by gassing up at your local filling station).

Nowadays it's virtually impossible to be righteous, but at least they don't crucify people anymore, so it's also a lot easier to give it a go..." The amazing name Lydia: meaning and etymology

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bc we reap what we sow? but if you are a Nihilist, at the moment anyway, imo go find @ScottA he is a great guy, and Nihilism can be quite instructive.

It's also satanic and anti-Scriptural past a certain point, but we are all deceived anyway, and all is forgiven;
you decide where that point is
Nihilism is as good a place to be from as any other religion imo, might even be better for some
What a strange conversation.o_O

Reactions: lforrest

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should i Start Reading the bible with out the view of a (Jehovah's) witness.

to see if i get a different message and see how i can try to grow closer to God.
The Jehovah witness testimony is relatively new on the world scene and different. But the bible is incredibly consistent down through the ages since the beginning of recorded history.

Indeed - you should read the bible. It is the greater authority.

Reactions: Mister Michael

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, not sure how fair the study is, after all we already know that "Pastor" is a job sought by psychopaths, so recruiting ppl who are mentally unstable, this is highly subjective to me anyway. Well, i saw plenty of Dominance/submission going on in the Kingdom Hall, so let's say there are degrees at least. But there are JWs who don't fit the mold at all too i guess? maybe not, can't think of meeting any
Thank you.

You do know that the "study" you referenced included a small group of Australians in a local area who were JW's? Does that seem fair to you?

Wouldn't the study be more believable/accurate if they did a world wide study of JW's (a larger sample) to call it "fair"???

Mary

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Thank you.

You do know that the "study" you referenced included a small group of Australians in a local area who were JW's? Does that seem fair to you?

Wouldn't the study be more believable/accurate if they did a world wide study of JW's (a larger sample) to call it "fair"???

Mary
much agree

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
not a nihilist i don't even know what that is