Poll: Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Waiting on him said:
I agree strongly!

@Waiting on him Its artwork like Erin Hanson's - full of strong, primary colours reflecting the contrasts of landscape - that likely inspire people who may otherwise hesitate - to go for their first back-piece or sleeve.

Maybe your daughter hasn't hesitated, though (?).

But some ppl do hold back without a definite impetus for such an inking.

Reactions: Waiting on him

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
She’s not to crazy about the ink, she just wants to support the girl like me.
@Waiting on him Maybe if your wife visited some parlors to look at some of the amazing portfolios that there are of artwork she would become a bit more accustomed to - and even appreciative of - it - especially if your daughter does eventually take up the profession that has interested her for quite a while?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Huperetes Recently you said:
.. it appears to me from the verses above that God can use tattoos we received in the past as unbelievers to reconcile others to Christ.
It's undoubtedly very widespread, anyway; I saw this quote from the Bible Belt, FYI:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I agree strongly!
@Waiting on him Anyway I think it's plainly self-evident that people who really appreciate fine, carefully done tattoo artforms include conservative, traditionally minded people.

One of the OP quotes says:

I am a nurse in a cardiac ICU. I am also pretty heavily tattooed. I am a well educated, well rounded nurse, and was raised with strong morals and manners. .. I am an extremely traditional person. I've always worn long sleeves .. I love having a professional persona as well as a unique one while I'm not working

In my humble opinion it's pretty self-evident that this is the case today. It often gives a real sense of individualism to the person who does it, including to very conservative-minded people.

In their professional lives people can be somewhat regimented (and I guess that sometimes it's with reason that this is the case). To go from time to time for some ink, to have tucked away, can be a sort of private or semi-private release and a sort of opportunity to retain a quiet, art appreciating sense of individuality in the regimented, professional world of day to day. As the person in the quote seems very strongly to recognize.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
On nearly every street corner.
@marksman Here in North America, anyway, in the Bible Belt, parlors tend to be well used:

FYI:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.

For a while, anyway, it's what ppl do now.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@marksman Here in North America, anyway, in the Bible Belt, parlors tend to be well used:

FYI:

For a while, anyway, it's what ppl do now.
It just shows you how ineffective church preaching and teaching is or non existent.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It just shows you how ineffective church preaching and teaching is or non existent.
@marksman My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness for her wrist to be injected - which maybe was the whole idea of having it done.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@marksman My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness for her wrist to be injected - which maybe was the whole idea of having it done.

There are lot of things that we can do but as the scriptures say they may be lawful but they are not expedient. I have favourite verses but I don't need to tattoo them on my body as I can learn them off by heart so they are written on my heart, not my body.

I ask myself where does it stop? I have seen pictures of Justin Beiber's body on the internet and to be quite frank it is totally gross.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There are lot of things that we can do but as the scriptures say they may be lawful but they are not expedient. I have favourite verses but I don't need to tattoo them on my body as I can learn them off by heart so they are written on my heart, not my body.

I ask myself where does it stop? I have seen pictures of Justin Beiber's body on the internet and to be quite frank it is totally gross.
I guess that the young lady with whom my wife and talked would say that, just because some tattoos somewhere are gross, does not mean that ipso facto all tattoos everywhere are the same: especially if the Scripture based inking was received with witness opportunities in mind.

She seemed shy, but with a quiet confidence also.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
michaelvpardo said:
My wife had a few, and I had no problems with the ones that she had
You can have chapter 3 of John's gospel written on your back, but does that mean you've received the Lord? Or you could wear 1 Corinthians chapter 13 in its entirety on your body, but is that a guarantee that you will take it to heart?
The Lord said that we would be judged according to our words, but in context as opposed to our actions.
@michaelvpardo Agreed; it's very much a woman thing now. Agreed; your cautionary words are timely; the person needs to weigh the words personally in the heart, thoroughly, whether or not eventually s/he receives them as a parlor inking.