Poll: Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
FYI: This is in German, but it's very clear, with the fine and intricate artwork that there is these days, it's really become rather mainstream and appreciated by rather conservative seeming people.

(Hence also the overall context of the many tattoos that get done with faith & Bible themes.)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am deathly afraid of needles, and yet I have a tattoo.
I made a major change in my life and the thought came to me that I wanted a tattoo of a cross to remind me daily of where I have been and where I need to stay focused. After over 18 months of deciding I had it done.
I put it on my arm, higher up, but there are three small 'drops of blood' just past my elbow on the top side of my arm. I have people come to me many times saying that I am bleeding, and that opens up the door for me to show them my tattoo and give my testimony...
A pic of my tattoo...View attachment 24

That is correct. After great debate with myself I decided to get it as symbol of my renewed life... As I got it, we added the smaller droplets lower on the arm to drawn just enough attention for some to it to ask about it and that would open doors.
I work in a hospital and you wouldn't believe the times I have shared a message or Jesus Christ with people using that as an ice breaker.
Jamie

Seems to have worked for you, anyway, Jamie.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
II do believe that it's excellent for a Christian to get a mark of their faith. .. The reason I got this tattoo is because, as a lady from my church said, it's my cheat sheet. It's a reminder, a promise, a rebuke and it's my solace. I put it in a visible spot, so that I could read it. And it's in an incredibly painful spot to get a tattoo and the pain of it resonates within me.. This is a permanent mark, one that will never, ever go away and I don't ever want it to. I also think that this is a statement for those who do see it and it's a reminder to myself that this is an incredibly visible tattoo and that I should conduct myself as a proper Christian when sometimes it's easy to forget. .. I believe that getting a tattoo that reflects one's faith should be personal but undeniable.
I've been trying my hardest to answer all of my husband's questions. .. I learn and read the bible, hungry for knowledge for not only myself but to help my husband understand.
Jar: Seems like you church ladies really agree about the strong, motivational effect of a really well done faith tattoo, anyway.

Keep searching the Scriptures for your and your husband's blessing; and remember: it is the Holy Spirit Who gives light and understanding.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@aspen Okay, ty...seems like there is a lot of regional variation, anyway.

And I guess also it might be a while before your niece gets out her tools and resumes inking ppl up, right?

she lives in another state - it is conservative so it is open

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
greenvneck

I would be hard-pressed to come up with more than a handful of names of my friends who DON'T have at least one tattoo--and we are all suburban homeschooling moms, ages ranging from early-30s to mid-50s, living in conservative North Texas.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

It's definitely regarded as mainstream to have it done or to want to.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
... whatever good it does is for the glory of God. When I find out if baby boy is June or July, I'll think of a mother ring to add to my tattoo charm anklet
@Mayflower As an overjoyed mom of 2 now, I guess you'll wait for things to settle down a bit before you prepare for the next inking that you want.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It's often about asserting family identification and womanliness.

Not surprising if sometimes it involves a faith based design.

Jill Clarke said:
I got my tattoo 18 months ago as my daughters started to get those.

Sandi Boland said:
I'm 65 and got my first tattoo last year with my younger daughter. It is on my forearm near the wrist ..I will be getting another one when my older daughter comes to visit in a couple of weeks.

Source: sixtyandme dot com

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am not really interested in changing my tats to depict something more palatable as a believer. ... I have no opinion on others getting or changing tats as a witness for Christ.
@Angelina Well, you're a Christian woman that's tattooed, period; and you're not pretending to be anything different; often it can be good just to be matter of fact and confident about things.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't have a problem with tattoos... Why not get a tattoo of a Knight in full armor ...."Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." (Ephesians 6:11-12)Now that would be righteous! And by righteous, I mean.... very cool.
TenderTrue: Interesting tattoo idea...