Poll: Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I remember the first double ear piercings --- they looked kind of funny.
Now I think they look nice if the right earrings are worn.

And as to girls getting "inked", as you put it, I think it's already mainstream.
I live in small town and many young girls have cute tattoos in visible places. I remember when they used to try to "hide" them because it was just starting to switch from male to female.
@GodsGrace Yes, both double earrings and ink have become mainstream.

Reactions: GodsGrace

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@GodsGrace For years now, getting double piercings in the earlobes has been a kind of rite of passage that teen girls and young women like to observe. Now, a bit of ink, too, at 18 has become something similar, it seems.

NB: Did you vote in the poll, above yet? :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No

Yes I would say so, some people really use it to express their faith in Jesus.

@Josho Yes, it seems like it's done so widely and confidently now. (I saw a post from a lady who was I think in Victoria, Aus., who said that many women around 60 in her area had gotten it done.) One of the OP quotes said:
TC3200 said:
Everyone and their Aunt Debbie in my town is now .. sporting full sleeves and tatts running up and down..

Seems like, seeing as it's done now so widely and so confidently, a lot of Christians are taking the opportunity to use it as a means of expression:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Josho Yes, it seems like it's done so widely and confidently now. (I saw a post from a lady who was I think in Victoria, Aus., who said that many women around 60 in her area had gotten it done.) One of the OP quotes said:

Seems like, seeing as it's done now so widely and so confidently, a lot of Christians are taking the opportunity to use it as a means of expression:

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Hmm I won't be getting a tattoo anytime soon though, and don't know if I would ever get one hahahha.

I got other stuff I need to spend money on at the moment. :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hmm I won't be getting a tattoo anytime soon though, and don't know if I would ever get one hahahha.

I got other stuff I need to spend money on at the moment. :)
@Josho Cost depends partly on the design's size and how much of the artist's time it takes, of course.

Yes, it's a matter of individual priorities, whether or not it's actually done. (I think you said it was a priority for your sister.., maybe to your mom's incomprehension?)

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Josho Cost depends partly on the design's size and how much of the artist's time it takes, of course.

Yes, it's a matter of individual priorities, whether or not it's actually done. (I think you said it was a priority for your sister.., maybe to your mom's incomprehension?)

More to the point my financial priorities at the moment are to get a block of land paid off, hopefully start saving up to put a house on it, while I am doing those couple of things, I am also hoping to profit in my business this financial year, still a new business.

So I do have plans that are non-tattoo related hahaha, and a bit going on already.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
More to the point my financial priorities at the moment are to get a block of land paid off, hopefully start saving up to put a house on it, while I am doing those couple of things, I am also hoping to profit in my business this financial year, still a new business.

So I do have plans that are non-tattoo related hahaha, and a bit going on already.
@Josho Hope your business plans all go well for you, as the Lord may allow...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
some people really use it to express their faith in Jesus.
@Josho My wife and I talked you a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite verse and mine also. She seemed quite shy.

But it must also have felt really good to her - like to a lot of others who have gotten something similar done - to have such a clear verse inked in permanently.

Like, the pain and the expense must have been judged really worthwhile.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Your welcome @farouk. I'm not sure how I personally feel about tats. I have a couple of pre-believer tats but since becoming a believer, I have not had the inclination to add more....even those that may give God the glory.
@Angelina Now that tattoos are a lot more mainstream - and whatever your personal inclination or otherwise about getting more - do you think that it would be good for more Christians to work in tattoo parlors?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GodsGrace For years now, getting double piercings in the earlobes has been a kind of rite of passage that teen girls and young women like to observe. Now, a bit of ink, too, at 18 has become something similar, it seems.

NB: Did you vote in the poll, above yet? :)
Je Ne sais pas!

Will do so now.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Je Ne sais pas!

Will do so now.
@GodsGrace Thanks for your poll vote! (I see you do agree with the first statement.)

BTW, I read someplace that a film director wanted to create a beach scene from the 1950s but could not find enough young women as film extras who did not have tattoos. It wasn't nearly as much a custom then to have it done; but it certainly is now.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GodsGrace Thanks for your poll vote! (I see you do agree with the first statement.)

BTW, I read someplace that a film director wanted to create a beach scene from the 1950s but could not find enough young women as film extras who did not have tattoos. It wasn't nearly as much a custom then to have it done; but it certainly is now.
wow.
I told you....almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.