Poll: Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The Leviticus 19.28 ref. to cutting for the dead is adjacent to a verse which seems to say about not trimming the corners of one's beard; do preachers shave?

If preachers do shave, then they are backhandedly acknowledging that Old Testament Jews in the land under the law are distinct from New Testament believers under grace, for whom the Gospel rather than the law is the rule of the New Testament believer's life. (I am dispensational in my outlook, admittedly.)

Reactions: Josho and Rita

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Leviticus 19.28 ref. to cutting for the dead is adjacent to a verse which seems to say about not trimming the corners of one's beard; do preachers shave?

If preachers do shave, then they are backhandedly acknowledging that Old Testament Jews in the land under the law are distinct from New Testament believers under grace, for whom the Gospel rather than the law is the rule of the New Testament believer's life. (I am dispensational in my outlook, admittedly.)

As I mentioned earlier hehehe

Reactions: Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
As I mentioned earlier hehehe
When today's 18 year old Christian young man or woman as a new adult gets a faith based tattoo, s/he may well have prayed about it and studied the Scriptures in context and come to the conclusion that the long term witness value of it is worth agreeing to a permanent ink puncturing, of a nature of a proven conversation-starter in witness.

No one else needs to 'agree' or 'disagree'; they are adults now. Some may advise against; and there are all sorts of valid arguments from different perspectives, but it's a decision for an adult man or woman to take.

Reactions: Josho

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Sister does...
@Josho The difference between your mom and your sister is probably in that, when your mom was younger not so many women got tattooed, whereas your sister probably doesn't remember a time when women very widely didn't have it done and for her it's something very straightforward indeed to wish for, to appreciate and to have done.

(Some Christians would therefore say that now is a time when the opportunities for faith based ink have opened up enormously.)

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The GOSPEL TRUTH
Quotes of
LEONARD RAVENHILL
Nobody else can give you a clean heart but God."

Freedom from all forms of idolatry and sin is uncommon, and necessary.
It may be seen as "impossible" for men,
but for God all things are possible.

Remember the inquisition was called "faith based", and was entirely sinful too.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
PS: @Josho Unless the person has a strong wish to become tattooed; unless it's well planned and the parlor artist trusted, there's no point in doing it in the foreseeable future. (If this makes sense?)

Yep it's not the cheapest thing do. Some Aussie footballer got some pretty silly tattoos haha. A fruit and nut bar, some Simpson's tattoos, a gingerbread bread man. Can't get any of those image URLs to display here though.

Homer Simpson Fruit Nut : Tom Liberatore deal inspire bizarre tattoo Homer Simpson Fruit Nut bar | Scoopnest

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yep it's not the cheapest thing do. Some Aussie footballer got some pretty silly tattoos haha. A fruit and nut bar, some Simpson's tattoos, a gingerbread bread man. Can't get any of those image URLs to display here though.

Homer Simpson Fruit Nut : Tom Liberatore deal inspire bizarre tattoo Homer Simpson Fruit Nut bar | Scoopnest
@Josho This is why for a believer who gets a quality faith related tattoo that is likely to stimulate use in witness it is an investment; it might on the surface be a monetary matter but if done in faith with the person being strongly convinced that it will make for profitable testimony occasions it could be described also as a spiritual investment of sorts.

So it shouldn't be done lightly or without a lot of conviction. (Make sense?)

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"We're so far removed from God's way of doing things--we think a man is a good man if he can draw a crowd these days. "

from The GOSPEL TRUTH

Quotes of

LEONARD RAVENHILL

"Nobody else can give you a clean heart but God."

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your vote; I see you voted, Yes.

(I think you've been convinced of the Yes response for a while, now, at least, potentially for some ppl...)
I am not bound by religious doctrine....I seek Him for truth. As scripture says let each work out their own salvation with fear and trembling. Happy is a man who condemns not himself in that thing he allows....BUT if he does condemn himself then it is a sin.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"We're so far removed from God's way of doing things--we think a man is a good man if he can draw a crowd these days. "

from The GOSPEL TRUTH

Quotes of

LEONARD RAVENHILL

"Nobody else can give you a clean heart but God."
Who is Leonard Ravenhill and why are you quoting him?

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Fifty years ago, you never heard of a divorce in the Christian church. You never (even) heard of marriage counseling in the church... We're putting up with sin in the church.

I believe every church is either supernatural or superficial. I don't believe there's any middle ground."

by Leonard Ravenhill, verified by many Scriptures.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Leonard Ravenhill Quotes (Author of Why Revival Tarries)
Leonard Ravenhill Quotes (Author of Why Revival Tarries)
102 quotes from Leonard Ravenhill: 'A man who is intimate with God is not intimidated by man.', 'No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying.

Leonard Ravenhill - Wikipedia
[Search domain en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Ravenhill] Leonard Ravenhill - Wikipedia
Leonard Ravenhill (June 18, 1907 - November 27, 1994) was an English Christian evangelist and author who focused on the subjects of prayer and revival.He is best known for challenging western evangelicalism (through his books and sermons) to compare itself to the early Christian Church as chronicled in the Book of Acts.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Fifty years ago, you never heard of a divorce in the Christian church. You never (even) heard of marriage counseling in the church... We're putting up with sin in the church.

I believe every church is either supernatural or superficial. I don't believe there's any middle ground."

by Leonard Ravenhill, verified by many Scriptures.
Again Leonard Ravenhill is not anyone I know....so quoting someone else's beliefs based on their interpretations of scripture.does not hold a candle to the Word itself.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am not bound by religious doctrine....I seek Him for truth. As scripture says let each work out their own salvation with fear and trembling. Happy is a man who condemns not himself in that thing he allows....BUT if he does condemn himself then it is a sin.
@Heart2Soul I think the following quote shows that a lot of ppl in the Bible Belt find the confidence to have it done.

(This must also surely open up opportunities for faith based witness ink designs, right?)

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 5: Sin in the Church - Bible Answer
bibleanswer.com/1cor5.htm
2. Church at Corinth not grounded in this truth, so much impurity within it. 3. 1 Cor. 5-6 - Addresses moral impurity & the church's attitude toward unrepented sin in the lives of its members. I. WHEN OPEN SIN IN THE LIVES OF CHRISTIANS IS IGNORED, THE CHURCH BECOMES GUILTY OF SIN - 5:1-2, 6.

Leonard Ravenhill was one of the true preachers in the last century/ to this one. Rebuking sin, instead of ignoring Scripture.