Poll: Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the mainstreaming of tattoos open up increasing opportunities for faith ink witness?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi @Cookie Thanks for your poll vote; I see you voted 'yes'; so do you find that any faith related conversations have followed any tattoos that you have?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have a Lion tattooed on my right hand, that represents the Tribe of Judah, where Jesus comes from so yes, this is my Lion of Judah.
@Cookie So are you, like many other tattooed Christian men and women, finding that you decision to get inked with something faith-based and conversation-friendly has paid off, so to speak, in the opportunities for witness discussion that it may bring about?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Exactly; the true mark of spirituality is inward...
@Nancy Thanks for your 'like' for this on the other thread!

Pragmatically, if faith based tattoos are likely to work in bringing about witness conversations and opportunities, some Christians are still likely to go for them and get inked up — even if, as you agreed, it's the inward rather the outward that counts.

Cookie

Jun 2, 2020
Toronto
www.thetulup.squarespace.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Cookie So are you, like many other tattooed Christian men and women, finding that you decision to get inked with something faith-based and conversation-friendly has paid off, so to speak, in the opportunities for witness discussion that it may bring about?

Yes. Infact my lion is a cover up from an Illuminati jail tattoo. So it serves well for testimony, and people always ask about it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
.. it serves well for testimony, and people always ask about it.

@Cookie

These days among many demographics it is so widespread; e.g.:
GillDouglas said:
My wife has talked about this possibility, but she has said she'd have a hard time deciding what to put permanently on her body. She has been urged by other military spouses to get one.
christianforums dot com

Among some demographics -of which the above example is of only one of many - it really is so widespread to get tattooed (among military spouses, for example, often in faith, family or patriotic themes) that while it's obviously not essential (quite right, too), it seems widely regarded as being almost essential.

Since for so many people today it is so widespread and like you say provides you with many witness opportunities to tell them about what you believe, it's very understandable that many young Christians want to use this very widely practised custom as a ready means of telling others of their faith convictions using their ink as a likely and conversation-starting tool.

So I guess for you the fact that getting tattooed has been mainstreamed has become - whether indirectly or coincidentally - a positive thing for you, right?

Cookie

Jun 2, 2020
Toronto
www.thetulup.squarespace.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Cookie

These days among many demographics it is so widespread; e.g.:
christianforums dot com

Among some demographics -of which the above example is of only one of many - it really is so widespread to get tattooed (among military spouses, for example, often in faith, family or patriotic themes) that while it's obviously not essential (quite right, too), it seems widely regarded as being almost essential.

Since for so many people today it is so widespread and like you say provides you with many witness opportunities to tell them about what you believe, it's very understandable that many young Christians want to use this very widely practised custom as a ready means of telling others of their faith convictions using their ink as a likely and conversation-starting tool.

So I guess for you the fact that getting tattooed has been mainstreamed has become - whether indirectly or coincidentally - a positive thing for you, right?

Yes, what satan intended for evil God used for Good :D

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
... God used for Good :D

@Cookie My wife and I talked to a young woman with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite verse, and mine also; and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen as a result of that young woman's evident willingness to go to the parlor for its inking in.

Also I talked a while ago to a young man with the same verse in full tattooed along his arm; placed slightly further back along the arm from where the young woman had hers inked in.

I would guess that that young woman and that young man would each of them think that it was only a good thing for them to have endured the pain and cost of those inkings in order to have them as likely effective tools for conversations in witness.

The inking itself does not of itself produce any spiritual value to the wearer. But as a highly effective tool in witness conversations its worth is likely seen clearly, over and over, by people such as the young woman and the young man talked to.

I'm sure you would exactly understand why they wanted to have it done, right?

For each of them it's likely that they were very pleased to assert her / his young adulthood as a confident tattooed woman / man of faith.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Waiting on him As per your recent comments on the other thread, don't you think that your daughter, with interests in tattoo art, would especially appreciate Erin Hanson's art?

I can see how Erin Hanson's style would go particularly well with sleeves and back-pieces.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@OzSpen I think tattoo artists in Australia are particularly privileged to be surrounded by such a uniquely inspiring environment of landscape colour environment, don't you think?

Reactions: OzSpen