Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
While some readers fee the poll has run its course, if you don't think so, and if you have not yet voted, please vote now!

Thanks to all who voted in the poll so far!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My oldest said she wanted them because it was to-quote her "to mark myself with things that are special to me." Youngest " because it was cool. " Haha

Thanks, @soul man !

There seems to be overwhelming evidence, anyway, that among Christians — let alone those of other persuasions — it's so widespread and regarded as an opportunity for personal expression that so many do not want to miss.

The evidence of this seems overwhelming:

FHII said:
I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. .. I don't regret it.. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor

Rita said:
I have never regretted my tattoo.. I love the tattoo..the tattoo was not liberating - the tattoo represented the liberation and freedom that the Lord had brought me through..The tattoo in of itself was merely the means of expression and the reminder.

Acolyte said:
My son had 7 or 8 tattoos before I even thought about it. ... Those who get scripture must be overjoyed. ...It's just not something I would do again.

justbyfaith said:
I do know a lady at my church who is a believer who got a tattoo recently. .. She said that it commemorated victory over some kind of mental health issue.

So in this era when it's used overwhelmingly as a means of expression, it seems very clear also that it offers a lot of scope for faith based, witness conversation-friendly designs, Scripture quotes and artwork, etc.

Reactions: soul man

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Getting a tattoo is equivalent to worshiping the golden calf or burning your child in the stomach of Molech ... anyone that gets one will have it burned off in the fires of hell ... and rightly so! (I didn’t see a choice on the vote that matched my opinion.)

[actually, I’m just kidding. Given what is happening in the world around us, this is a “don’t sweat the small stuff” question. In essentials unity. In nonessentials liberty. In all things charity.]

Reactions: UnrulyBeauty

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a purely practical matter, I doubt that anyone ever got hired for a job because of the exceptional quality of their ink work, but a lot of candidates never made it past the first interview because they had a visible tattoo.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
As a purely practical matter, I doubt that anyone ever got hired for a job because of the exceptional quality of their ink work, but a lot of candidates never made it past the first interview because they had a visible tattoo.
@atpollard I think that - so to speak - the lines are a bit blurred now... :)

Sarah Weisbrod said:
As a small business owner myself, I HAVE no choice than to meet my clients personally as I am the only sole employee. I always bring a cover-up with me, but I do work as an auto detailer and long sleeves just get in th way. I sometimes forget to cover back up when the clients pick up their vehicle but so far I am not getting any negative reviews towards my self-expression
source: vcita dot com

iStock-974876724_xz6t52
source: shrm dot org

These days genteel people of a certain maturity may also be inked up.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I could see tattoos as being a conversational tool for witnessing, absolutely.
@FluffyYellowDuck Saw your comments also about Christian rock music just now; I wondered if - whether or not you happened to like the aesthetic a lot - a similar comment might apply, that, namely, both Christian rock lyrics and tattoos have a potential as witness tools for those who are exercised to use them as such?

It's not so much pursuing the rock music or tattoo aesthetic for their own sakes — even though a lot of Christians do appreciate both — but, if one becomes thoroughly acquainted with them and with their potentials, seeing how they can really be sanctified for use in Christian testimony.

(If the point makes any sense?)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Sadly... to many legalistic Christians... there is only judgement and condemnation.

@Adoration But also I think that for a lot of Christians something tasteful is instead a way of expression and witness, right? :)

As a couple of the OP quotes said:

Christophany said:
once upon a time I was legalistic with tatoo's, piercing etc..... not anymore ... I do not condemn others who think differently since it has nothing to do with ones salvation.

Rita said:
I have never regretted my tattoo.. I love the tattoo..the tattoo was not liberating - the tattoo represented the liberation and freedom that the Lord had brought me through..The tattoo in of itself was merely the means of expression and the reminder.

Acolyte said:
My son had 7 or 8 tattoos before I even thought about it. ... Those who get scripture must be overjoyed. The money and pain are outweighed by the message they witness to... No more ink for me. ... I do think they are fine for whoever wants one. It's just not something I would do again. :)

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, @soul man !

There seems to be overwhelming evidence, anyway, that among Christians — let alone those of other persuasions — it's so widespread and regarded as an opportunity for personal expression that so many do not want to miss.

The evidence of this seems overwhelming:

FHII said:

Rita said:

Acolyte said:

justbyfaith said:

So in this era when it's used overwhelmingly as a means of expression, it seems very clear also that it offers a lot of scope for faith based, witness conversation-friendly designs, Scripture quotes and artwork, etc.

Yes it is so wide spread now. I think I said it before but I like the art work that is done today, I don't think I would do it because like I said 'i would rather have new tennies' so to speak. And don't forget I have snake eyes haha not good to long ago.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes it is so wide spread now. I think I said it before but I like the art work that is done today, I don't think I would do it because like I said 'i would rather have new tennies' so to speak. And don't forget I have snake eyes haha not good to long ago.
@soul man I added your last response to your quote which I used in the OP; thanks.

Evidently both your daughters entered their tattoo experiences with plenty of confidence, right?

It used to be such a man thing, almost exclusively; but I guess you agree it makes sense for both genders to be able to have it done confidently?

It's certainly opened up the potentials for faith based tattoo designs that witness conversation-friendly.

Reactions: soul man

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@soul man I added your last response to your quote which I used in the OP; thanks.

Evidently both your daughters entered their tattoo experiences with plenty of confidence, right?

It used to be such a man thing, almost exclusively; but I guess you agree it makes sense for both genders to be able to have it done confidently?

It's certainly opened up the potentials for faith based tattoo designs that witness conversation-friendly.

True, we have billboards, posters, handbills, why not a body message. You never know who or how you are going to reach someone.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Oh I just tried it again!
it says it went through and it says two now...
...multiple votes are allowed :-/

@FluffyYellowDuck Thanks indeed for your vote participation, anyway; and of course multiple votes are possible, only if desired.

iStock-974876724_xz6t52
source: shrm dot org

These days it's not at all unusual for genteel people of a certain maturity to be tattooed, who can be real naturals at having it done; very much an individual thing, naturally. Though it used to be very much almost exclusively a man thing, this has really changed hugely.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We used to have a saying "save the lost no matter the cost."
@soul man If the Scripture content can be communicated effectively, some Christians would regard the tattoo parlor cost and measure of short term discomfort as a small price to pay.

I think I mentioned that my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have a arisen as a result of her - seemingly a quite shy person - having been willing to undergo the injecting in that way.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Tattoos. Maybe not parlors. Only way Id go to one is with my husband. But the man who did mine was really nice.
@Mayflower

Did you see this quote?

juliannenw said:
I am a nurse in a cardiac ICU. I am also pretty heavily tattooed. I am a well educated, well rounded nurse, and was raised with strong morals and manners. .. I am an extremely traditional person. I've always worn long sleeves .. I love having a professional persona as well as a unique one while I'm not working
source: allnurses dot com

Clearly those who want to do it - including very conservative, well mannered, well educated people - can find the confidence to do it.

Apart from anything else, it opens up a lot of scope for faith based tattoo designs, I think.

(Just thought you would appreciate this quote, anyway. There's something just nice about the way the person put it, I guess.)