Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have several tattoos. I've never felt the slightest guilt over them :)
@UnrulyBeauty Well, I guess you are in exactly the same place as posters quoted in the OP:

Rita said:
I have never regretted my tattoo.. I love the tattoo..the tattoo was not liberating - the tattoo represented the liberation and freedom that the Lord had brought me through..The tattoo in of itself was merely the means of expression and the reminder.

FHII said:
I got my first and only tattoo when I was 25. I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. .. I don't regret it.. . .. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor

In any case, what seems striking is that because the medium of ink is so widespread, the potential for faith based - and maybe witness-friendly? - tattoo designs seems really huge.

So would any of your ink be faith based in design? :)

Last edited:

UnrulyBeauty

Oct 11, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In any case, what seems striking is that because the medium of ink is so widespread, the potential for faith based - and maybe witness-friendly? - tattoo designs seems really huge.

So would any of your ink be faith based in design? :)

They are not. The last one I got was many, many years ago. I would love to get a few more before I'm old and wrinkly :D

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
While some readers fee the poll has run its course, if you don't think so, and if you have not yet voted, please vote now!

Thanks to all who voted in the poll so far!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
They are not. The last one I got was many, many years ago. I would love to get a few more before I'm old and wrinkly :D
@UnrulyBeauty Thanks for participating in the poll!

Faith based ones come in all sorts of shapes and sizes; some are a simple Bible ref. or Christian fish sign <>< on a wrist, etc. Others are bigger. It can be done in a clear and conversation-effective way, like this lady has done, particularly if the person is motivated to talk to people about the faith content.

45516018fa1a40096d57e71726c65f8a.jpg
pinterest

These days first ink is at around 18, although there is a lot evidence of older ppl having waited decades before getting theirs.

Last edited:
Reactions: UnrulyBeauty

UnrulyBeauty

Oct 11, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a beautiful tat.

I'd like to get one that's Rohan-inspired. Not sure what else I might want.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That's a beautiful tat.

I'd like to get one that's Rohan-inspired. Not sure what else I might want.
@UnrulyBeauty
I thought maybe you would like it. Although, with exceptions, getting tattooed used to be overwhelmingly such a man thing to do, yet in recent decades it has become identified as a rather feminine thing also.)

So you mean, like a simple tribal pattern, or a larger one that depicts something like a female warrior, or something?

In any case, with the prevalence of tattoos, there seems to be a lot of scope for faith based designs.

Last edited:

UnrulyBeauty

Oct 11, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@UnrulyBeauty
I thought maybe you would like it. Although, with exceptions, getting tattooed used to be overwhelmingly such a man thing to do, yet in recent decades it has become identified as a rather feminine thing also.)

So you mean, like a simple tribal pattern, or a larger one that depicts something like a female warrior, or something?

In any case, with the prevalence of tattoos, there seems to be a lot of scope for faith based designs.

Tattoos have been "non-taboo" for a good 20 years or so. I think a lot of older people (and I'm not young to begin with lol) still think that tattoos are this grungy, rough, male trend. But that hasn't been the case for many, many years.

I would get something perhaps like this:
ac86d16a86cfc4cf922e0e84d97d6fec--tolkien-tattoo-lotr-tattoo.jpg

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Tattoos have been "non-taboo" for a good 20 years or so. I think a lot of older people (and I'm not young to begin with lol) still think that tattoos are this grungy, rough, male trend. But that hasn't been the case for many, many years.

I would get something perhaps like this:
ac86d16a86cfc4cf922e0e84d97d6fec--tolkien-tattoo-lotr-tattoo.jpg

@UnrulyBeauty You're absolutely right that some of the early 20th century misgivings about the sort of male tattoos that were around have been widely superseded by a sea change in customs by which for decades women have found increasing confidence in the practice.

In fact there is evidence that it's in some ways a coming full circle rather than a new development for women to be included among those who get inked up. In the 19th century it was at times particularly known among socially prominent women.

By the 1870s the tattoo trend had taken hold in mainstream society and even touched the upper class.

LondonTattoo1_grande.jpg

Tattoo culture, boosted by naval experiences of working class and royal heirs alike, was popular in the United States starting in the 1850s and 1860s, in part because it served as a safeguard against anonymity during the Civil War. New York's first tattoo parlor is said to have opened in 1846 by Martin Hildebrandt. ... According to an 1893 article in the Sully County watchman, both women and men received tattoos... .
[A]bout the ladies who visited for body art:
“I am an electrician by profession,” said the man, “and it was while serving in the English army that I learned tattooing. I used to do odd jobs among the soldiers. Then when I left the army some gentlemen came to me to have certain designs tattooed on them, and I consented. My work developed into a business, and I have been here these years just as busy as I can be.”
“You have ladies also who come to you for this purpose?”
“Yes. Their designs are simple, however. Usually flowers, insects, or birds. I have in mind at present a lady much famed at court...who has a bee tattooed on her shoulder to represent the initial of her christian name.”
Tattoo Culture in the Victorian Era

But you're absolutely right that there was a period in the early 20th century when tattoos received by women were less known.

Now it's totally different. This is from the Bible Belt:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

It's a bit like double (or multi-) ear piercing, I guess: whereas in the late 70s when teen girls (and their moms) started getting double ear piercings it might for a short while have been initially regarded as slightly edgy fashion-wise, but now through natural osmosis - so to speak - it's something that women of all ages can do confidently. (In 1979 an 18 year old who did it together with her 48 year old mom would now be 60, and her mom 90.) It's done by women of all ages now.

I think it is already or will be shortly similar among women of all ages to get tattooed confidently, if - and only if - they so wish. Especially given the long, historical precedents for it. Especially given the widely practised custom for many women's tattoos - probably even more than men's tattoos - to be faith based in design, or to be faith and family themed.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@farouk What did you think about the tattooed lady?
@Pearl Just thinking, if today a lady like in the photo you supplied were serving at a supermarket, with tattoo sleeves visible, etc., some ppl might or might not comment: 'Nice tattoos'; but it wouldn't be regarded as especially unusual, would it?

Customs change and develop.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl Just thinking, if today a lady like in the photo you supplied were serving at a supermarket, with tattoo sleeves visible, etc., some ppl might or might not comment: 'Nice tattoos'; but it wouldn't be regarded as especially unusual, would it?

Customs change and develop.
There was a guy who was tattooed all over - even on his head and face - in the group we used to drink with.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There was a guy who was tattooed all over - even on his head and face - in the group we used to drink with.
@Pearl Oh it can be 'over the top', definitely, they way it's sometimes done, can't it?

I think there is probably a case for parents of 17/18 years olds, who likely might be getting their first tattoo soon, to take them to a parlor proactively and talk through portfolios, as to the sort of designs that might be sensible and tasteful or in contrast ugly or too big, or whatever. And advise not to rush into it if they are not sure...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes it is so wide spread now. I think I said it before but I like the art work that is done today
@soul man Yes, and as @UnrulyBeauty indicates in post #500, it's something that Christians these days do wholeheartedly and wholesomely; in some ways it would be good if more Christians worked in tattoo parlors, learning the skills and potentials, which for faith based designs are enormous, for those who find the confidence to have it done.

Reactions: soul man

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@soul man Yes, and as @UnrulyBeauty indicates in post #500, it's something that Christians these days do wholeheartedly and wholesomely; in some ways it would be good if more Christians worked in tattoo parlors, learning the skills and potentials, which for faith based designs are enormous, for those who find the confidence to have it done.

Yes I can't think of a better way to talk to those that get tattooed, and those giving the tattooes.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He has pumped his dead thread every day for years now...ya ain't gotta help him.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He has pumped his dead thread every day for years now...ya ain't gotta help him.
and lookie.... this is post 518... if no one posts before me... LOL After all the hatred spewed forth on the election and covid conspiracies... I think being kind to someone who is probably very lonely just seems like the right thing to do.

Reactions: Pearl and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It is not what goes into the body (including ink) that defiles us. It is what comes out of us.
@Gideons300 Saw what you just posted and it also seemed very on topic here.

One of the OP quotes says:

Christophany said:
once upon a time I was legalistic with tatoo's, piercing etc..... not anymore ... I do not condemn others who think differently since it has nothing to do with ones salvation.

A lot of Christians use faith based designs as a witness opportunity.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
and lookie.... this is post 518... if no one posts before me... LOL After all the hatred spewed forth on the election and covid conspiracies... I think being kind to someone who is probably very lonely just seems like the right thing to do.
@Adoration Also....not bad sometimes to have threads that are politics-free zones, right...? :)

Reactions: Pearl