Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
7ZK3jtQ.jpg
arrabidahills dot blogspot dot com

8449.jpg
tattoodo dot com

IMHO these Ephesians tattoos are really effective... :)

Reactions: DuckieLady

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
While some readers fee the poll has run its course, if you don't think so, and if you have not yet voted, please vote now!

Thanks to all who voted in the poll so far!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@FluffyYellowDuck Thanks for the 'likes'; I do think that the second of the two Ephesians designs, above, is probably the more effective of them (you would probably agree; I'm guessing you have quite an aesthetic sense).

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Funny how things change over the year,take tattoos. Years ago it tended to be only men who had been in one of the services that had one and then many of them said they had been drunk when they had it done or they had it done for a bet. Also you got teenagers doing there own by scratching usually a name on their arm with a pin and then rubbing writing ink in it.
If you had a tattoo it tended to be where it couldn’t be seen by all and sundry . If you went for a job you would be very lucky to get it if the person interviewing you could see it.
Now a days it is excepted as normal for both sexes to have them and they are now classed as pieces of art. It would also be usual to be turned down for a job and you could probably sue them if you were. These works of art you may think look beautiful now on youthful smooth skins but l wonder what they will look like when you grow old and wrinkled and the design becomes-distorted.
Years gone by it would be unusual to see a women with even a small tattoo.The only place you would see a lady with lots of tattoos was at the fair and to do that you would have to pay your money and go into a small tent where she and other people would be classed as freaks which they weren’t,thank goodness that doesn’t happen these days
A lady proudly showing her work of art

136751511_215314020208586_1462318446510673154_n.jpg

Posted on my Facebook page this morning.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Funny how things change over the year,take tattoos. Years ago it tended to be only men who had been in one of the services that had one and then many of them said they had been drunk when they had it done or they had it done for a bet. Also you got teenagers doing there own by scratching usually a name on their arm with a pin and then rubbing writing ink in it.
If you had a tattoo it tended to be where it couldn’t be seen by all and sundry . If you went for a job you would be very lucky to get it if the person interviewing you could see it.
Now a days it is excepted as normal for both sexes to have them and they are now classed as pieces of art. It would also be usual to be turned down for a job and you could probably sue them if you were. These works of art you may think look beautiful now on youthful smooth skins but l wonder what they will look like when you grow old and wrinkled and the design becomes-distorted.
Years gone by it would be unusual to see a women with even a small tattoo.The only place you would see a lady with lots of tattoos was at the fair and to do that you would have to pay your money and go into a small tent where she and other people would be classed as freaks which they weren’t,thank goodness that doesn’t happen these days
A lady proudly showing her work of art

136751511_215314020208586_1462318446510673154_n.jpg

Posted on my Facebook page this morning.
@Pearl Thanks. Yes, for your daughter now she was able to get something nice done confidently without it being remotely controversial, wasn't she?

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@farouk What did you think about the tattooed lady?
@Pearl The photo seems to be like for an exhibition...nowadays if such lady had tattoo sleeves, ppl might say, Oh, nice... but it wouldn't be thought of as a circus exhibit or whatever. Maybe more for a parlor portfolio. Like you said, even though they wouldn't necessarily all be as big,
Now a days it is expected as normal for both sexes to have them and they are now classed as pieces of art.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
...I moved to a hick town.
@FluffyYellowDuck

Depends where you live, really.

FYI:
QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@FluffyYellowDuck PS: I suppose - given the discussion of addictiveness on the other thread - some ppl would even call getting tattooed addictive, but it's not necessarily so, if ppl don't get 'carried away'.

Among the OP quotes: FHII said:
I got my first and only tattoo when I was 25. I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. .. I don't regret it.. .. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor

Rita said:
I have never regretted my tattoo.. I love the tattoo..the tattoo was not liberating - the tattoo represented the liberation and freedom that the Lord had brought me through..The tattoo in of itself was merely the means of expression and the reminder.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Adoration So did you talk to her lately about tattoos? :)

This auntie and I did not talk for more than 5 years... I have just recently decided to return to the family and her and I are on speaking terms... However... we do NOT talk about Christianity. She is a legalistic believer... in her eyes... tattoos are satanic... I have no desire to engage her in a debate... LOL

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
This auntie and I did not talk for more than 5 years... I have just recently decided to return to the family and her and I are on speaking terms... However... we do NOT talk about Christianity. She is a legalistic believer... in her eyes... tattoos are satanic... I have no desire to engage her in a debate... LOL
@Adoration

I see! I hope she will one day somehow be blessed by the Scriptures, anyway.

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse, and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to use the tattoo parlor for this purpose.

(I wonder if your dear aunt, if she met the young lady, would at least be willing to commend the young lady's appreciation of this wonderful Scripture? :) )

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: @Adoration

I would have thought that something like this would be regarded as quite tasteful, anyway:

8449.jpg
tattoodo dot com

"20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,

21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen." (Ephesians 3.21-22)

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would have thought that something like this would be regarded as quite tasteful, anyway:
To me that is indeed tasteful and beautiful.... Sadly... to many legalistic Christians... there is only judgement and condemnation.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
To me that is indeed tasteful and beautiful....

@Adoration I would think anyway that the lady who received it must likely have found it a rather wholesome experience to receive such a design injected that might prompt Godly testimony and discussion. (A bit like Rita's comment quoted in the OP of this thread, really, I suppose.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Funny how things change over the year,take tattoos. Years ago it tended to be only men who had been in one of the services that had one ...
@Pearl

Now, military spouses are a demographic that is especially represented among the tattooed (often in faith, patriotic and family themes).
FYI:
GillDouglas said:
My wife has talked about this possibility, but she has said she'd have a hard time deciding what to put permanently on her body. She has been urged by other military spouses to get one.
christianforums dot com