Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul Well, this was probably his whole idea in the first place, right? :)

(Did his answers make sense to you?)

For the Christian tattooee it may seem rather joyful to have experiences and opportunities to open up to ppl about the Scriptures quoted.

The young lady with whom my wife and I talked who had John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area seemed quite shy, but she likely had an inner sense of real purpose and joy in getting inked up in this way.
His answers were very profound...having been saved in prison he needed constant reminders what the Bible says about him because the world was cruel....so he would just look at one of the tattoos and be instantly reminded of who he is in Christ.
Also, getting dressed every morning he would see his tattoos in the mirror and be reminded of His promises.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
His answers were very profound...having been saved in prison he needed constant reminders what the Bible says about him because the world was cruel....so he would just look at one of the tattoos and be instantly reminded of who he is in Christ.
Also, getting dressed every morning he would see his tattoos in the mirror and be reminded of His promises.
@Heart2Soul Oh, his explanation must have seemed very interesting!

Like, they might even wrongly throw a man or woman into jail, take away his or her regular clothes and replace them with prison garb, remove his or her earrings, etc., but once injected they won't take away his or her tattoos, and if these are faith based - Scriptures, etc. - they can be a constant source of personal encouragement, and a possible talking point to others.

You can pull a guy's or a woman's earrings out, but the tattoos stay...

(This is another aspect, right?)

Reactions: Heart2Soul

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@TLHKAJ FYI, the poll votes are gradually mounting; and maybe - only if you wish - your various family experiences in this connection might prove relevant to some of the response options in the poll also....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think alot of people did, the craze has busted that stereotype wide open :)

@soul man Yes, the stereotype has now really gone away.

Now, it's earnest preachers' daughters and genteel grandmothers who are as likely as anyone to have it done, confidently and in well planned manner, whether to witness to their friends with a faith based inking (Christian young ppl) or with grandkids' names as a constant prayer reminder (grandmothers), etc.

These days it's the most conservative ppl that you may know who are as likely to tell you, Ohh look what I just had done...

BTW: did you see/vote in the new poll, above? (The old one expired...)

Reactions: soul man

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@soul man Yes, the stereotype has now really gone away.

Now, it's earnest preachers' daughters and genteel grandmothers who are as likely as anyone to have it done, confidently and in well planned manner, whether to witness to their friends with a faith based inking (Christian young ppl) or with grandkids' names as a constant prayer reminder (grandmothers), etc.

These days it's the most conservative ppl that you may know who are as likely to tell you, Ohh look what I just had done...

BTW: did you see/vote in the new poll, above? (The old one expired...)

True, and I know some in ministry that have sleaves done and so on.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
True, and I know some in ministry that have sleaves done and so on.

@soul man

BluegrassRN said:
More of the nurses that I work with have tattoos than do not. On my shift, only three don't have them (of 13 nurses). We have several nurses (including myself) who have visible tattoos; one gal has them on her wrists. .. I get the most heartfelt compliments from older men with tattoos (or the wives of older men who had tattoos). I love it when a 90 year old fellow pulls up the arm of his gown to compare tattoos with me and then tells me the story (fact or fictionalized, I don't care) behind his tattoo. Usually a war story, often something of a coming-of-age story.... I've had a few wives tell me of their husbands' tattoos after seeing mine. It's such a sweet, intimate, bonding moment, and I feel so privileged to be told a story that may have only been related to close friends and relatives.

ErikadawnRN said:
..one of nursing school classmates.. was also a tatoo artist prior to nursing school. In fact she tattooed alot of our classmates.. I had 2

grinnurse said:
I have 4. .. In the hospital that I work at you would be hard pressed to find employees without tattoos.. even.. significantly older nurses .. have tattoos.

juliannenw said:
I am a nurse in a cardiac ICU. I am also pretty heavily tattooed. I am a well educated, well rounded nurse, and was raised with strong morals and manners. .. I am an extremely traditional person. I've always worn long sleeves .. I love having a professional persona as well as a unique one while I'm not working
allnurses dot com

Bottom line: they do seem to work as conversation-starters. To be a nurse it's of course not strictly necessary at all to be tattooed, but there is a very strong trend indeed among nurses to get inked up and nurses tend to be very strong advocates for tattoo artists. They meet a lot of ppl and it's an ice breaker which works. Hence also your comment about it in a witness context.