Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
King James Bible
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

- I haven't read much of this thread. Does the above decree only pertain for tattooing "for the dead"? Or tattooing in general?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
King James Bible
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

- I haven't read much of this thread. Does the above decree only pertain for tattooing "for the dead"? Or tattooing in general?
@Mantis The adjacent verse seems to say about not trimming the corners of one's beard.

Do preachers shave?

If preachers shave, then maybe they are admitting backhandedly that they themselves are not Old Testament Jews in the land under the law (with bushy beards etc.), but rather New Testament believers under grace, engaged in Gospel testimony.

A lot of Christians do use tattooed Bible verses as a testimony tool, among many others. All the young people with Bible verses tattooed that I have spoken with seem to have had theirs done for evangelistic reasons, anyway...

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me “not shaving the corners of your beard” means God has a dislike for mustaches lol. I always thought that’s why you see Jews with no mustache but beards.

@Mantis The adjacent verse seems to say about not trimming the corners of one's beard.

Do preachers shave?

If preachers shave, then maybe they are admitting backhandedly that they themselves are not Old Testament Jews in the land under the law (with bushy beards etc.), but rather New Testament believers under grace, engaged in Gospel testimony.

A lot of Christians do use tattooed Bible verses as a testimony tool, among many others. All the young people with Bible verses tattooed that I have spoken with seem to have had theirs done for evangelistic reasons, anyway...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am littered with them from my youth.

@Mantis I guess that in contrast, if right from the start the person is a believer in his or her youth, getting them from around 18 years of age in ones that have God honoring, wholesome designs that can even play a role in witness conversations can be a completely different perspective for some ppl, right, that is far less likely to be regretted?

aa4a1e4f537f14bc1c9ee64b231e7aa6--psalms--tattoo-fall-tattoo.jpg

53f6e6a7d22969a8fd8143a478bab21a.jpg

pinterest

l.jpg
tattoofilter dot com

Some ppl do of course get theirs changed to express something better, if the original ones are regretted...

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mantis I guess that in contrast, if right from the start the person is a believer in his or her youth, getting them from around 18 years of age in ones that have God honoring, wholesome designs that can even play a role in witness conversations can be a completely different perspective for some ppl, right, that is far less likely to be regretted?

pinterest

l.jpg
tattoofilter dot com

Some ppl do of course get theirs changed to express something better, if the original ones are regretted...

Yeah those are cool. I would not regret any of those tattoos. I regret mine because they do not honor God. They are more of allegiance to the devil which I hate. It would cost some coin to get mine looking good.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yeah those are cool. I would not regret any of those tattoos. I regret mine because they do not honor God. They are more of allegiance to the devil which I hate. It would cost some coin to get mine looking good.
@Mantis I can anyway just imagine each of these young ppl all waiting and wanting to go to the parlor to get inked up with Bible refs./verses and feel really good experiences that will stay with them and wishing to honor God to others through their tattoos.

Kind of, feeling urgently good, wanting to have them done.

Reactions: Mantis

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi @Heart2Soul As you said on the other thread:
Years ago I worked night shift at a convenient store and about 2 am a black man dressed in black leather with gold and silver chains hanging from his neck and he had tattoos ...

Yes, sometimes tattoos can look good on a man or a woman; and as you said back a bit, some demographics really seem to go for them and they can seem really like it does suit them well:
Heart2Soul said:
I have no problems with others choices to get a tattoo....I really like some of them. .. it is becoming a norm with health professionals.

(And so also I can really understand Christian young people wanting to use ink to express their faith testimony; all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed that I have talked to seem to have had theirs done for evangelistic reasons, anyway.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Abaxvahl As you said on the other thread:

It fits the aesthetic perfectly.

I can anyway just imagine each of these young ppl, below, all waiting and wanting to go to the parlor to get inked up with Bible refs./verses and feel really good experiences that will stay with them and wishing to honor God to others through their tattoos.

pinterest

l.jpg
tattoofilter dot com

Reactions: Abaxvahl

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Paul Christensen Back,
My daughter has a tattoo of a lion on her arm to show her powerlifting strength at the gym and underneath it she added one of a kitty cat to show that she loves cats. I think it looks great on her and I have no worries about it from a spiritual point of view.

I think @Ziggy talked about hers being similar.

Anyway, though it was for a while a sort of man's thing to do, getting tattooed for a long time now been very much a sought after thing especially among the athletic and young in spirit ladies.

Reactions: Paul Christensen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Imo the Lord honors simplicity. Though the gospel has a depth to it ..it is simple. Don't get to intellectual, though we are intellectual beings. Use the mind you have for the Lord's work. Co-laborers as portrayed in scripture.
@soul man I think I mentioned that my wife and I talked to a young lady - who herself wasn't very talkative - who was inked up with the whole of John 3.16 on her wrist area. (I reckon she was a bit like your wife's nurse, that you talked about a while ago.)

A quiet young Christian with such ink - backed up we trust with heartfelt testimony - can speak volumes far more than a lot of intellectual verbiage that mat be smooth, but not effective.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi @OzSpen ; from back a bit:

For this Fijian rugby league player, Kevin Naigama, he uses it as a witness to his mates,

See his back tatoo HERE.

On his chest John 3:16 is tatooed:

View attachment 6648

Oz

To update, I have now talked to a number of young people with Bible verses tattooed, including both a young man and a young lady, each with their arm / wrist area tattooed with the whole of the wording of John 3.16, a favorite verse indeed, as with Kevin Naigama.

They all seem to have had them done for evangelistic reasons.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That picture I posted with the cub, is about as close to a selfie I can get.
I don't have a camera of any sort to take a pic and download/upload it.
It's so faded now...
It's not my artwork, I'm just the canvas
:cool:
Hugs
@Ziggy Okay; I should revise my wording and say: the similar artwork with which you both enjoyed being injected... (better wording? :))

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy Okay; I should revise my wording and say: the similar artwork with which you both enjoyed being injected... (better wording? :))
I wouldn't say it was entirely enjoyable...
I don't really like needles :eek:
and I remember it was red and itchy for a while. I put vaseline on it so it wouldn't dry out and rash.
But I was pleased with the artist. I thought he did a good job.
I'm driving my dad home tomorrow. I will see if I can find that tattoo shop on my way home.
I won't be getting one. You just peaked my curiosity..lol
Hugs

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I wouldn't say it was entirely enjoyable...
I don't really like needles :eek:
and I remember it was red and itchy for a while. I put vaseline on it so it wouldn't dry out and rash.
But I was pleased with the artist. I thought he did a good job.
I'm driving my dad home tomorrow. I will see if I can find that tattoo shop on my way home.
I won't be getting one. You just peaked my curiosity..lol
Hugs
@Ziggy Well, okay! :)

So to fine-tune the language a bit more, then: You enjoyed that the artist made you the tattooed woman that you wanted to become, with the inked artwork that pleased you.

(I guess finally this is about right... :) )

Great that your father has able to stay with you. I'm sure he really appreciates what you do for him.

And of course, you've said, no more ink planned! But of course also, parlors have portfolios that contain plenty of artwork that can be simply consulted and enjoyed, without obligation, by the curious and those who, like you, have long ago learned to appreciate good work.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy Well, okay! :)

So to fine-tune the language a bit more, then: You enjoyed that the artist made you the tattooed woman that you wanted to become, with the inked artwork that pleased you.

(I guess finally this is about right... :) )

Great that your father has able to stay with you. I'm sure he really appreciates what you do for him.

And of course, you've said, no more ink planned! But of course also, parlors have portfolios that contain plenty of artwork that can be simply consulted and enjoyed, without obligation, by the curious and those who, like you, have long ago learned to appreciate good work.
I don't know what kind of tuning fork your using, but it's close.. lol
the "wanted to become" is a little off but other than that it sounds fine to me.
:)
Hugs

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't know what kind of tuning fork your using, but it's close.. lol
the "wanted to become" is a little off but other than that it sounds fine to me.
:)
Hugs
@Ziggy
Well, I'll try again.... :)

You were pleased that the artist made you a tattooed woman with the good ink artwork.

Something like that, surely....

"I'm driving my dad home tomorrow. I will see if I can find that tattoo shop on my way home.
I won't be getting one. You just peaked my curiosity..lol"

Have a safe drive; God bless your father; and enjoy satisfying your curiosity! (Portfolios for consultation without obligation tend to have such a lot of good artwork to view freely, anyway...)

Last edited: