Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll tell you, there ought to be a ministry for those who would regret having committed to tattoos, cosmetic art, to hide them under cosmetic arts; ordinary makeup otherwise used for facial features.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'll tell you, there ought to be a ministry for those who would regret having committed to tattoos, cosmetic art, to hide them under cosmetic arts; ordinary makeup otherwise used for facial features.
@Bartholomew Jones For those who rush into it and regret it afterwards it can indeed be problematic; this may not have been your experience, though. But for example, sometimes a tattoo can be turned into something faith based.

Such as, a woman with the name of a non-Christian ex-bf - e.g., 'BILL' - might choose to have it changed to something that reflected subsequent faith, e.g., 'BILL' into 'BIBLE'.

A good tattoo artist can sometimes successfully make the design transition.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@michaelvpardo It seems to be a common urge among Christians, anyway; I may have mentioned to you that my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also, and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to receive it, which was probably a lot to do with her motivation.
It's been my experience that the only people actually interested in things Christian are other Christians, or religious people that fancy themselves as Christian because of their religion. The world hates Christianity and tends to see us as crazy people who cause trouble or are secretly doing evil things. You actually get that here on this site from the self deceived .
It's nice to meet random Christians because you always have things in common with them that you can talk about and in the spiritual sense we're all family, so I can see how a "christian" tattoo could open up a new relationship with a brother or sister in the Lord, but I don't believe that I'd want one when the antichrist shows up. It could cost you your head.

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think using a tattoo artist to "correct" it is a mistake. That's why I say cosmetics. It can be a daily exercise or hobby.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think using a tattoo artist to "correct" it is a mistake. That's why I say cosmetics. It can be a daily exercise or hobby.
@Bartholomew Jones I was thinking really of a Christian woman who does not want to feel 'condemned' perpetually to wear the name of a non-Christian ex-bf, but would rather move on and have something that reflected her permanent, new found faith.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It's nice to meet random Christians because you always have things in common with them that you can talk about and in the spiritual sense we're all family, so I can see how a "christian" tattoo could open up a new relationship with a brother or sister in the Lord

@michaelvpardo

It does indeed work as a conversation-starter; nurses are so often tattooed and use theirs as ice-breakers with patients and their families, in whatever designs they may be.

...but I don't believe that I'd want one when the antichrist shows up. It could cost you your head.

Well this would be a dispensational point, really, because I don't see the church going through the great tribulation (even though the general tribulation principle is with us, John 16.13).

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Open it up. It's more detailed than multiple choice.

Maybe something like, "Does having a tattoo create a dilemma to a Christian? How do you make conversation in company with folks who are proud of their tattoos? Do you have a creative way of responding when someone shows off their tattoos?"

Reactions: farouk

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul Whatever ppl may think, one way or another, tattoos really do demonstrably work as conversation-starters, don't they? :)

Not least, faith-based questions.

Hence probably the amount of young Christians heading to the parlor when they reach 18.
I hope they are getting faith based tattoos and not the other kind.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Open it up. It's more detailed than multiple choice.

Maybe something like, "Does having a tattoo create a dilemma to a Christian? How do you make conversation in company with folks who are proud of their tattoos? Do you have a creative way of responding when someone shows off their tattoos?"
@Bartholomew Jones Thank-you!

I'll think about your suggestions. Maybe I can amend the current line up of possible poll responses to include some of your input; or maybe eventually your suggestions could be incorporated into a new poll.

Your contribution is appreciated.

You are absolutely right; it is many faceted subject that ppl will look at independently from all sorts of angles. Hence I suppose the usefulness and relevance of such polls and threads, right?

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Usefulness I guess depends how it plays out. I think the motive should not be "towards" tattoos but away; that is, discouraging them.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I hope they are getting faith based tattoos and not the other kind.
@Heart2Soul Yes, I was thinking particularly of faith-based designs.

FHII said
Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor

And as Godgrace said:
almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.

Because it something that is done so widely, including so many conservative and churchgoing ppl, it does create lots of opportunities for faith based designs, doesn't it? that will likely be effective as conversation-starters.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Usefulness I guess depends how it plays out. I think the motive should not be "towards" tattoos but away; that is, discouraging them.
@Bartholomew Jones I take your point about your preference. Some ppl, of course, are in the situation already of having tattoos when they are converted, which do not remotely reflect what they now believe; their ink does not remotely reflect the hope that is within them. If so, I can well understand their wish that their tattoos be modified to reflect exactly that: a willingness to give a reason for the hope that is within them, (1 Peter 3.15).