Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The "RANGE" of my thoughts...
Is from talented beautiful artwork...
To eweee grotesque ...
To hysterical laughter.

There is no one conclusion fits all.
Ink is not for me, period.
Ink on others is their choice and does not positively or negatively affect my well being.

Glory to God,
Taken
@Taken I guess that some ppl would try to make out that no tattoos are supposedly 'unladylike', but this would be a rather subjective determination. Seeing also that so many Godly women get faith based inkings.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken I guess that some ppl would try to make out that no tattoos are supposedly 'unladylike', but this would be a rather subjective determination. Seeing also that so many Godly women get faith based inkings.

I know you have a fascination with “tats”.
I can appreciate the art of some tats and gag when I notice other tats.
But personally, I have no desire to gawk, or be capture to stare at others people skin, so typically ignore scantly clad people, tatted or not.
Tats do not fascinate me, or interest me, nor do I have a need to know, why or what it means to a person who has them.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I know you have a fascination with “tats”.
I can appreciate the art of some tats and gag when I notice other tats.
But personally, I have no desire to gawk, or be capture to stare at others people skin, so typically ignore scantly clad people, tatted or not.
Tats do not fascinate me, or interest me, nor do I have a need to know, why or what it means to a person who has them.
@Taken Oh I agree modest placements are good. They are widely regarded as an effective witness tool, any; all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken have seemingly had them done for evangelistic reasons; my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area (which is a very modest placement indeed).

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken Oh I agree modest placements are good. They are widely regarded as an effective witness tool, any; all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken have seemingly had them done for evangelistic reasons; my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area (which is a very modest placement indeed).

You have an interest in tats, and WHY people get them. To witness, seems to be a supportive active topic you like. I don’t really care why people get them. Have heard a friend who has a tattoo shop, speak about the number of “temporarily” drunk who want a “permanent” tat. Doesn’t really matter to me, their drunk “why”, their “witnessing” why, I’m not interested in inspecting or reading a persons “skin” art, or “wonder” what IS the part of the “unseen” tat tucked in an exposed fat roll. Simply zero interest to me.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No. Maybe with-in a years time, I start back work on Monday.
@MatthewG Hoping it goes well for you in your new work.

With tattoos especially, the saying is true: "You get what you pay for", more or less, at least.

The lowest quotes are not necessarily the best, right?

This is why young men and women at around 18 can benefit - from this perspective, at least - from their first ink being a parental gift.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like picture concepts. I don’t know what other people like. One friend showed me his anarchy tattoo, fox tattoo and one other one I don’t remeber.

The cross is a picture concept alone. Being firmly rooted in faith in Christ having love for God first. That is the first pole that is placed in the ground in which the pole falls into the dirt. The second pole outward is the showing of love to others.

Another one could be a circle with black around it symbolizing how there is no darkness within God.

Another concept it one that deals with the ages in which some people even now today believe they are living in the inter-testimonial time of the Apostolic Age where that has been wrapped up and completed and time continues to move forward.

You could come up with the concept of Z. Less goes the flesh if you grow the spirit which grows gain when seeking for Christ and growing in knowledge.

Reactions: Lambano

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I like picture concepts. I don’t know what other people like. One friend showed me his anarchy tattoo, fox tattoo and one other one I don’t remeber.

The cross is a picture concept alone. Being firmly rooted in faith in Christ having love for God first. That is the first pole that is placed in the ground in which the pole falls into the dirt. The second pole outward is the showing of love to others.

Another one could be a circle with black around it symbolizing how there is no darkness within God.

Another concept it one that deals with the ages in which some people even now today believe they are living in the inter-testimonial time of the Apostolic Age where that has been wrapped up and completed and time continues to move forward.

You could come up with the concept of Z. Less goes the flesh if you grow the spirit which grows gain when seeking for Christ and growing in knowledge.
@MatthewG Very interesting comments; thank-you.

Yes, the concept behind a tattoo is significant. Sometimes if wording rather than symbols is chosen, the style of the wording can add to the aesthetic value of the tattoo, although I guess from a witness point of view the aesthetics are really a secondary matter.

Some tattoo parlors specialize in calligraphy; and obviously this lends itself to tattoos such as Bible verses. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area.

The conceptualizing and planning stage is very important and sometimes not given enough attention. The tattooee does need to be ready.

Sometimes ppl are not truly ready and it can be worth waiting until they truly are.

MetalMike said:
My oldest daughter has multiple tattoos. My wife has a butterfly on the top of her foot...They had their tattoos for a few years before I got mine. I wasn't that interested in one at the time, and I wanted to do one that was meaningful and not one I would regret later...I got a tattoo back in '08. It's a cross on my forearm with a banner

Clearly Mike, in the quote, was not ready for quite a while after his daughter and wife were ready.

I think you, also, @MatthewG , are likely to make sure that you are truly ready before you go ahead and have it done.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does the meat you buy at the supermarket still have those "USDA Approved" stamps on the package? One of my wife's friends had that tattooed on her right buttock. This was another of those "Here, hold my beer" decisions.

Reactions: David in NJ

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Men had been making a whole lot of rules and/or traditions for themselves for hundreds of years before we were born. God winked and I guess is still winking at a lot of things implemented or twisted by men and perhaps because there more important issues.
"Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent," - Acts 17:30

There is nothing more serious in this entire universe than rebelling against clear and unmistakable commands from God. As Paul told the Athenian philosophers in that passage, the times where God overlooked people's ignorance has long passed. God is done handing out passes, which is why the very first recorded word of Christ's ministry was "Repent!".

The human race has possessed the complete revelation of God for almost 2 millennia, and it is currently one of the most widely collected and distributed books on the planet. With this being the case, there are 0 excuses for anybody who wish to willfully reject the revelation in the OT or NT. God said man is to live by every word that came from His mouth, and every last human being is being held accountable for doing that.

In Leviticus 19, the next verse seems to say about not trimming beards. Are NT preachers all wearing bushy beards? or is the Gospel, with its witness tools, the rule of the believer's life rather than the OT law?
The historical context shows why your argument is totally weak. Male adherents of the Canaanite religions often trimmed their beards in a certain pattern to display their devotion to a sun or fertility cult. That prohibition has absolutely nothing to do with normal grooming methods.

The prohibition concerning tattoos is about God wanting His people to avoid doing anything that promotes or shows devotion to a false god. And that's exactly what tattoos are at their core: a display of one's devotion to a false god. Why do you think people in the world love getting them or idolizing people who have them? It's all about drawing one's attention to themselves. "Christians" can try to justify their ink as a "witnessing tool", but the reality is that they simply want to draw people's attention to themselves because they put their tattoos in a spot where people will see them and come to them.

All of God's prophets and apostles did a fantastic job at evangelizing armed with nothing but the scriptures and God's Spirit. Anyone who "needs" tattoos to evangelize is not educated enough about the Bible to be evangelizing anybody, let alone pass themselves off as a true believer. In 2 Tim. 3, Paul said ALL of scripture is profitable for instruction in righteousness. In Eph. 2, Paul says biblical Christianity is based on the writings of the apostles and prophets. If you think that would exclude the very portion of the Bible where God dictated how His people are supposed to conduct themselves in a world that is ruled by Satan, i submit to you that you are not practicing biblical Christianity.
That was talking about a people who marked there bodies by cutting it in a religious thing that they did to honor the dead! That was a demonic thing. But if it is not a religious self mutilation that you are doing for dead people; then the bible says nothing else about tats.
Lev. 19:28 clearly shows God additionally commanded His people not to get tattoos for any reason:

"‘You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the LORD.'"

Considering its clear link to idolatrous worship, there is no Christian reason to ever get a tattoo.
@Pearl It's interesting anyway that the Jewish Sabbath does not reoccur in the NT as regards the moral content of the 10 Commandments. Hebrews 7 also shows that the law was changed (v. 12) and what we now have is better than the law (v. 19).

So maybe your son got his ink done after your daughter did?
Jesus kept the Sabbath throughout His human existence, Acts shows Paul keeping the Sabbath, and Heb. 4 shows Paul likening the people who reject the Sabbath with the Israelites God condemned to death in the wilderness. Even if the NT didn't show any of those things, it wouldn't change what God said in Exo. 31 about Him doing His sanctifying work on the Sabbath. It also wouldn't change the fact that God made the Sabbath an eternal covenant that exists independently of the former covenant.

All 10 of God's commandments existed and were enforced many centuries before there was a such thing as a Jew, and therefore none of them were abolished at Christ's death. Read Luk. 23:56. Christ's followers kept the Sabbath 2 days after He died. And as Heb. 9:17 says, the current covenant came into existence the moment Christ died. Nothing you say has any truth to it whatsoever, especially because the 4th commandment clearly shows God saying the Sabbath is His:

"but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates." - Exo. 20:10

You will never find a single passage in the Bible that says a Jew sanctified, blessed, created, or put their presence on the 7th day, therefore it is 100% dishonest for anyone to call it the "Jewish Sabbath".

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
One of my wife's friends had that tattooed on her ....
@Lambano Well, some tattoo placements are a bit dodgy. (This seemed to be Taken's concern also, above.)

Some placements are of course very modest; my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist are; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also, and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to go to the parlor for this.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Desire Of All Nations

You are right that a tattoo is not necessary to witness. (Although given its proven effectiveness as a conversation-starter, a lot of believers do get Bible verses, etc., inked. This is also why more generally so many nurses get tattoos; they use them as an ice breaker with patients and their families.)

A bit of theology. Hebrews 4 does not say that in order for our Great High Priest to represent us in heaven, we need first to keep the law.

The law was indeed changed; and what we now have is indeed better than the law (as per Hebrews 7).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Are they wanting it because their friends have one or are they really seeking to minister through tattoo art.
Have a blessed day.
@Heart2Soul Re. your good question, I guess it can be said that Christians do encourage one another; and if one believer has a Bible verse tattoo and a Christian friend thinks: 'Hey, this is a really good idea to do', then do you think it's really problematic?

Like, I don't know from whom the young lady with the John 3.16 tattoo that my wife and I talked to, got the original idea from, but I reckon that once she decided of her own accord to have it done, it would have given her a lot of witness joy to have it take effect in bringing about testimony conversations, right?