Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GodsGrace Although you don't want to, you do understand well why so many ppl do want to use the tattoo parlor, don't you?
Sure.
I know that there are different reasons.
Some I don't care for.
Start a thread on why people get inked?!

See, I learned to say "ink"!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
PS:

Then, again, armor ink as a talking point about spiritual conflict can be very effective; FYI:

dcbb72668af4fd59db3d95febfff85cd.jpg
pinterest dot com

This kind of tattoo could very easily be used as a very effective means of turning conversations to Ephesians 6 and the spiritual topic of the Whole Armor of God. There seems to be a very gracious, purposeful immediacy about a design such as this, and would likely be proven very useful in testimony conversations on the part of the wearer willing to use it as such.
Just saw this.
I can say it's beautiful, but it's too much for a girl IMO.
More suited for a boy, I think.

Do you think it's OK to get ink for other reasons?
(Than for witnessing)

Reactions: Lambano

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Sure.
I know that there are different reasons.
Some I don't care for.
Start a thread on why people get inked?!

@GodsGrace Well, you could do so, easily; just go to 'Fellowship forums', above, and click 'Post new thread' and simply put, 'Why do people get inked?' ...

(See, seems like you do like the term 'getting inked'...)

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GodsGrace Well, you could do so, easily; just go to 'Fellowship forums', above, and click 'Post new thread' and simply put, 'Why do people get inked?' ...

(See, seems like you do like the term 'getting inked'...)
Ha!
YOU'RE the expert in this field.
We could do this here, but I have to leave for about an hour.
Later.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have a military tattoo to remember the service I gave my country.
Hi @devin553344 ; saw your recent post. Often military personnel and veterans and their families are indeed among the demographics who are particularly tattooed, often in patriotic, faith or family themes. So are you so far the only family member that had it done in relation to your military service?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
And some Christians have done some tasteful kinds of art, with Hebrew, Christian themes and such so not totally against it. But I think people should think long and hard before they get any kind of tattoo since once they get it they will be stuck with it.
Hi @Pavel Mosko

Thanks for your comment.

(Sorry the poll expired already.)

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done. Seems like she would have gone to the tattoo parlor joyfully.

(If this makes any sense?)

Reactions: Pavel Mosko

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
....on why people get inked?!

@GodsGrace Well, I think you yourself pointed out that often now it's the really conservative ones who have it done also.

As Rita said,
there was thought, study, prayer and discernment involved-and I have always had complete peace about it. ..I did look through scripture and reflect on it before I got one-and it was also something I had to deal with as my sons reached 18 and got tattoos.
For a lot of conservative ppl, it would appear to be something that to them something faith based seems so appropriate to go ahead and do.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @devin553344 ; saw your recent post. Often military personnel and veterans and their families are indeed among the demographics who are particularly tattooed, often in patriotic, faith or family themes. So are you so far the only family member that had it done in relation to your military service?
Don't know.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Back
I still haven't seen a nurse with one yet, but I guess their all over the place.

It IS factual (as effective conversation-starters), FYI:

BluegrassRN said:
More of the nurses that I work with have tattoos than do not. On my shift, only three don't have them (of 13 nurses).. I've had a few wives tell me of their husbands' tattoos after seeing mine.
allnurses dot org

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GodsGrace Well, I think you yourself pointed out that often now it's the really conservative ones who have it done also.

As Rita said, For a lot of conservative ppl, it would appear to be something that to them something faith based seems so appropriate to go ahead and do.
OK
Agreed.
But can't a conservative get a different type of tattoo also?
Not everyone that has a tattoo is a "biker" type!

(if you're a biker, don't be offended - I go by movies I've seen)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
And I am not surprised!
@Ronald Nolette It can function really as a sort of resource to help as an ice breaker / conversation-starter while talking to patients and their families; for many health professionals, almost part of the job.

This is also probably why all the young people with Bible verses tattooed that I have spoken with have seemingly had them done for evangelistic reasons.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
OK
Agreed.
But can't a conservative get a different type of tattoo also?
Not everyone that has a tattoo is a "biker" type!

(if you're a biker, don't be offended - I go by movies I've seen)

@GodsGrace

juliannenw said:
I am a nurse in a cardiac ICU. I am also pretty heavily tattooed. I am a well educated, well rounded nurse, and was raised with strong morals and manners. .. I am an extremely traditional person. I've always worn long sleeves
allnurses dot com

Clearly juliannenw is not a biker type! :)

Her comments also bear out your observation about the conservative people who often do it now.

The fact also that all the young people with Bible verses tattooed that I have spoken with have seemingly had them done for evangelistic reasons, also shows that it may well rather widely be conservative ppl who get them for various reasons.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes!
Too big...
Takes up too much skin (you know what I mean).
I like it,,,but it's too big.
But it's the perfect size for the shoulder!
Decisions
Decisions !!
@GodsGrace Well, I guess the short response would be that the contours of the placement decide the size, really.

(You also referred to some decisions or others.)

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GodsGrace

juliannenw said:

allnurses dot com

Clearly juliannenw is not a biker type! :)

Her comments also bear out your observation about the conservative people who often do it now.

The fact also that all the young people with Bible verses tattooed that I have spoken with have seemingly had them done for evangelistic reasons, also shows that it may well rather widely be conservative ppl who get them for various reasons.
Hmmm.
I think you misunderstood my post...
but I'm toooo sleepy to go over it!
'night.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald Nolette It can function really as a sort of resource to help as an ice breaker / conversation-starter while talking to patients and their families; for many health professionals, almost part of the job.

This is also probably why all the young people with Bible verses tattooed that I have spoken with have seemingly had them done for evangelistic reasons.

If it works- go for it. I have quizzed folks with massive body art. Very careful to be harmless but asked them the whys of it. I have learned a lot from them.