Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yeah, I do. Very personal.

@Truman I see that Dave L even regrets not having gotten a faith based tattoo when he was young.

Dave L said:
I think when I was a young Christian, a scripture or Christian art Tattoo would have helped me stake a claim as a Christian and made people aware early on. It would have helped sort out friends from the start. So I regret not having that as an option during that time. .. If I found myself in a similar situation to when I was young, I'd probably have a tattoo.

You can understand why many Christians feel they have compelling reasons for getting inked up, right?

(I can see how having more Christians working in tattoo parlors could link in with the sheer scope for faith based tattoo designs.)

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Lambano When they reach adulthood onward, so many want to do it confidently; while some guidance from the older generation can also be useful.

I guess since your wife has both, they would be to some extent open to her advice, right?
I think Granddaughter would ask. Grandson is pretty independent.

Reactions: farouk

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This world does not like Jesus. This knowledge pressures one to keep quiet. Displaying a tattoo, to me, is telling the world that I am not ashamed of my Savior. That's why I would have a cross. I would have a star of David to tell the world that I am not ashamed of who I am. Come what may.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think Granddaughter would ask. Grandson is pretty independent.
@Lambano

Sounds anyway that he sent you guys a photo of his piercing, after the event.

Re. granddaughters, it used to be - and still is - that moms and daughters would sometimes go get their ears pierced together; now it's also grandmas and granddaughters that go get tattoos together, right?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
This world does not like Jesus. This knowledge pressures one to keep quiet. Displaying a tattoo, to me, is telling the world that I am not ashamed of my Savior. That's why I would have a cross. I would have a star of David to tell the world that I am not ashamed of who I am. Come what may.
@Truman

This is probably also very similar to why the young lady that my wife and I talked to with the entire John 3.16 tattoo on her wrist area - although seemingly quite shy - appeared also to be steadily joyous about being a tattooed Christian woman witnessing in this way.

Acolyte said:
My son had 7 or 8 tattoos before I even thought about it. ... Those who get scripture must be overjoyed.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think the pastor's wife has a faith tattoo also. I think I saw one

I am happy with mine too.

@Mayflower Whether or not she did prove to have a faith tattoo, it really is extremely widespread now; in fact, what with the colorful sleeves and so forth that some ppl have, a simple line based design or some letters of a Bible ref. tattoo are really quite minimalist now, in comparison, as you would probably agree, right?

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS:

Then, again, armor ink as a talking point about spiritual conflict can be very effective; FYI:

dcbb72668af4fd59db3d95febfff85cd.jpg
pinterest dot com

This kind of tattoo could very easily be used as a very effective means of turning conversations to Ephesians 6 and the spiritual topic of the Whole Armor of God. There seems to be a very gracious, purposeful immediacy about a design such as this, and would likely be proven very useful in testimony conversations on the part of the wearer willing to use it as such.

Reactions: Lambano

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I do have a co-worker with a cross tattooed on his forearm!
@Rudometkin Your comment some weeks back makes me ponder that a lot of Christians seem to think that enduring a bit of discomfort for witness reasons that will prove to be permanent is well worth it.

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have talked, seem to have had them done for witness reasons, anyway.

I think I mentioned that a young lady with whom my wife and I talked, who had the wording of the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area seemed confident and joyful at having her favorite Bible verse inked in, even though she also seemed quite shy.

Pavel Mosko

Dec 19, 2021
Boyertown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Didn't vote. I'm mostly against tattoos. At least for people living in the West, where they often don't represent anything positive, and can negatively affect your employment causing you to cover them up when at work etc. But I have had friends from Egypt and Ethiopia that have cross tattoos on their hand or forehead, as a tradition and practical practice to mark the baby as Christian so the Muslims of the area will not kidnap the child to raise him/her as a Muslim. And some Christians have done some tasteful kinds of art, with Hebrew, Christian themes and such so not totally against it. But I think people should think long and hard before they get any kind of tattoo since once they get it they will be stuck with it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@farouk

I had to look it up because I never heard of anyone using manuka honey for a tattoo. But if it heals lacerations and works as a natural anti inflammatory, that would work.

7 Proven Benefits and Uses of Manuka Honey
@FluffyYellowDuck PS: I've been reading your link about Manuka benefits. I see it does help with wounds and of course a tattoo in a sense is a wound. Also it's used in specifically for skin disordered; again, a skin-related usage.

So did you use anything while your tattoo was healing?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
.... ever hear the term “tramp stamps”?
PS: @Lambano I don't think it's a term that is used so much these days, at least, maybe not as much as 15-20 years ago.

Also, if used, perhaps some ppl would use it more in a matter of fact way, rather than as a term of abuse.....2c......

(So what do you think? :confused:)