Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@1stCenturyLady ....Just re. the comment earlier about wholesome doctrine...

(cc @Wynona)

5944b375d02ea0d1aa8098382db6347c--true-tattoo-tatoo.jpg

Last edited:

ve1nhb

May 25, 2014
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I really think it is up to the person to decide. Who are we to judge someone else intentions. We really should focus on our own path.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Me personally see nothing wrong with tattoos they are just artistic expression.

@MatthewG

It's so widespread among Christians; many of them use the medium to express their convictions:

FHII said:
I got my first and only tattoo when I was 25. I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. .. I don't regret it.. .. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor .. ..I also agree that it makes a statement of freedom in Christ.

Rita said:
I have never regretted my tattoo.. I love the tattoo..the tattoo was not liberating - the tattoo represented the liberation and freedom that the Lord had brought me through..The tattoo in of itself was merely the means of expression and the reminder. .. I was 50 when I had mine done, and two of my sons had various tattoos long before me. I made the decision with a mature head on my shoulders.

Acolyte said:
My son had 7 or 8 tattoos before I even thought about it. ... Those who get scripture must be overjoyed. The money and pain are outweighed by the message they witness to... No more ink for me. ... I do think they are fine for whoever wants one. It's just not something I would do again.

Some believers just don't appreciate tattoos; and this is inevitable. Others - men and women - think getting inked up is a healthy way of expressing their faith convictions; all the young people with whom I have talked with Bible verses tattooed seem to have had them done for evangelistic reasons.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@soul man Thanks for the 'like'.

There's truth in what you said:
my girls love the ink -:) My oldest said she wanted them because it was to-quote her "to mark myself with things that are special to me." .. they were young when they started, especially my youngest. .. My oldest has a new really good artist, she wants us to get matching tats .. Tattooing in our day is big, if you need or want a tattoo, that is what you should have written in the biggest boldest lettering you can get. Stare at it daily, study it daily, it never gets old. It is the only message you need that flows from scripture in full depth of understanding for anyone that will pick it up and want to know something about it.

It's fair to say that some Christians are never going to like tattoos.

Other Christians certainly feel that getting inked up with something faith based is a very wholesome and wholehearted means of expression. All the young people with whom I have talked with Bible verses tattooed seem to have had them done for evangelistic reasons.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There are tatoos and then there are tatoos.
Some are for a positive statement and others for negative.

@Ziggy,

Like you perhaps imply, some ppl are always going to view tattoos in a negative light.

There are some demographics that are today far more likely to view them in a positive light.

Such as the nursing profession, for example. FYI:

BluegrassRN said:
More of the nurses that I work with have tattoos than do not. On my shift, only three don't have them (of 13 nurses). We have several nurses (including myself) who have visible tattoos; one gal has them on her wrists. .. I get the most heartfelt compliments from older men with tattoos (or the wives of older men who had tattoos). I love it when a 90 year old fellow pulls up the arm of his gown to compare tattoos with me and then tells me the story (fact or fictionalized, I don't care) behind his tattoo. Usually a war story, often something of a coming-of-age story.... I've had a few wives tell me of their husbands' tattoos after seeing mine. It's such a sweet, intimate, bonding moment, and I feel so privileged to be told a story that may have only been related to close friends and relatives.

ErikadawnRN said:
..one of nursing school classmates.. was also a tatoo artist prior to nursing school. In fact she tattooed alot of our classmates.. I had 2

grinnurse said:
I have 4. .. In the hospital that I work at .. even.. significantly older nurses .. have tattoos.

juliannenw said:
I am a nurse in a cardiac ICU. I am also pretty heavily tattooed. I am a well educated, well rounded nurse, and was raised with strong morals and manners. .. I am an extremely traditional person. I've always worn long sleeves .. I love having a professional persona as well as a unique one while I'm not working
allnurses dot com

(Further 2c...)

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy,

Like you perhaps imply, some ppl are always going to view tattoos in a negative light.

There are some demographics that are today far more likely to view them in a positive light.

Such as the nursing profession, for example. FYI:

BluegrassRN said:

ErikadawnRN said:

grinnurse said:

juliannenw said:

allnurses dot com

(Further 2c...)
I meant that some tattoos aren't meant to be good and wholesome.
Like skull and bones and spiderwebs and gory creepy things.
Some people get tattoos to portray a negative vibe.
Like gang tattoos are meant to intimidate others.

Some people appreciate the art, others to make a statement.
And others to create an atmosphere of intimidation and fear.

What's in the heart has a way of manifesting itself in many ways.
Hard to find a simile of the one I had done 30 years ago,
but this close.
It's smaller and is located just below my right collar bone.
Lion-Cub-Tattoo.jpg

beneath the cub is a pink rose with green leaves. The cub used to be a dull yellow/orange, but it's mostly faded now.
It was the softest, cutest one they had available.
My first ex got an arm length black panther.
We went in together and had them done at the same time.
I don't believe there was a reason for doing it, other than it was something different in our, what was becoming a very boring relationship.
Needless to say, it didn't save our marriage.
But it produced a memory I will always have proof of.

I forget it's there.. until this thread comes up.. :)

Different strokes for different folks, or so the saying goes.

Hugs

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Like skull and bones and spiderwebs and gory creepy things.
Some people get tattoos to portray a negative vibe.
Like gang tattoos are meant to intimidate others.

Some people appreciate the art, others to make a statement.
And others to create an atmosphere of intimidation and fear.

What's in the heart has a way of manifesting itself in many ways.
Hard to find a simile of the one I had done 30 years ago,
but this close.
It's smaller and is located just below my right collar bone.
Lion-Cub-Tattoo.jpg

beneath the cub is a pink rose with green leaves. The cub used to be a dull yellow/orange, but it's mostly faded now.
It was the softest, cutest one they had available.
My first ex got an arm length black panther.
We went in together and had them done at the same time.
I don't believe there was a reason for doing it, other than it was something different in our, what was becoming a very boring relationship.
Needless to say, it didn't save our marriage.
But it produced a memory I will always have proof of.

I forget it's there.. until this thread comes up.. :)

Different strokes for different folks, or so the saying goes.

Hugs
Hi @Ziggy

True what you say about a design can express outwardly what's inwardly in the heart.

You referred to a soft and small design that has a sense of cuteness.

Some witness tattoos can also be very understated, soft and gentle.

Some designs can likely bring an experience under the tattoo machine that is simple and low-key and quite smooth - while as a testimony tool a strongly compelling, potential talking point at the same time; FYI:

l.jpg
tattoofilter dot com

(The ref. there is to: "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." (Isaiah 41.10)

Sometimes a soft and gentle design - particularly a witness-friendly one - can seem to convey a radiant sense also: "I'm glad I did it".

(If any of this seems to make sense?)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@farouk came across this on FB, looks like a good idea for a tattoo

View attachment 17222
@Josho

Psalm 46.10, right? Thanks, Josho.

Arm is a preferred placement among Christians for Bible text tattoos. All the young ppl with Bible texts tattooed (arm, upper arm/shoulder, or wrist) that I have talked to seem to have had them done for evangelistic reasons: potential visibility counts, right?

Reactions: Josho

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Lolz I didn't think much about it.

It sounds like it's used in the same way, people would say "retail therapy."
@Josho Yes, this is a good point; kind of an approximate, general term such as 'retail therapy'; good, similar example.

I think that the whole point of faith based, Bible verse tattoos is more the purpose for which they are obtained, right? rather than for deriving subjective feelings from the inking up experience.

Like, all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed that I have talked to have seemed to have the witness opportunities in mind, rather than having gone to the parlor in order to receive a 'this feels good!' experience. (Maybe that too, but not primarily so.)

I guess your sister, whom you told me about, had hers done for her particular reasons...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Like skull .....

PS: @Ziggy

I saw a while ago an explanation of how skull tattoos - to a motivated wearer - be used to indicate a rugged toughness to face adversity. Some skull designs are soft and feminine. Not particularly advocating them but they do come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm kind of talking about these kind being intimidating and such:

iu

I wouldn't want to run into this face on a dark night
that's for sure.
But you know what..
They are hurting inside, and what you see on the outside is PAIN.
:(

HUGS

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'm kind of talking about these kind being intimidating and such:

iu

I wouldn't want to run into this face on a dark night
that's for sure.
But you know what..
They are hurting inside, and what you see on the outside is PAIN.
:(

HUGS

@Ziggy

...whereas some tattoos seem to exude peace and calm and joy...

l.jpg
tattoofilter dot com

UnrulyBeauty reflected about hers:

Tattoos have been "non-taboo" for a good 20 years or so. I think a lot of older people (and I'm not young to begin with lol) still think that tattoos are this grungy, rough, male trend. But that hasn't been the case for many, many years. .. The last one I got was many, many years ago. I would love to get a few more before I'm old and wrinkly :D .. I have several tattoos. I've never felt the slightest guilt over them :)

Others have posted to the effect that they can be a joyful experience for the believer, in their view.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I believe it was also used among natives and different tribes around the world as a means to convey a status or which tribe you were affiliated with.
@Heart2Soul

Now it seems to have come full circle. Other posters seem to testify to this fact.

I think my one is fine. :D if I get charms in the future on my anklet, probably more sentimental of my kids. But my cross has brought good discussion during the summer and is covered for work.

UnrulyBeauty said:
Tattoos have been "non-taboo" for a good 20 years or so. I think a lot of older people (and I'm not young to begin with lol) still think that tattoos are this grungy, rough, male trend. But that hasn't been the case for many, many years. .. The last one I got was many, many years ago. I would love to get a few more before I'm old and wrinkly :D .. I have several tattoos. I've never felt the slightest guilt over them:)

(Anyway, it's hard to buy that it's supposedly "not ladylike".)

BTW, have you seen @Mayflower lately? she doesn't seem to have posted recently...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
i saw my daughters ones for the first time on Sunday. They look quite pretty.

If I had one I think I'd go for something like this. The empty cross with the flower symbolising the beauty of new birth clinging to the cross.

OIP.IelDhIgy0m_pTa4SmA0nHgHaKJ
@Pearl BTW, so are you maybe accustomed to them now, seeing as some time has elapsed since she had them done?

Reactions: Pearl

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
GodsGrace said:
almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types. .. I was at the beach area the other day, and girls are full of tattoos. I never notices so many before
from back;

@GodsGrace Well, you're right it's what conservative ppl do now, so widely.

(I saw this quote: )

juliannenw said:
I am a nurse in a cardiac ICU. I am also pretty heavily tattooed. I am a well educated, well rounded nurse, and was raised with strong morals and manners. .. I am an extremely traditional person. I've always worn long sleeves .. I love having a professional persona as well as a unique one while I'm not working
allnurses dot com

The fact that so many conservative and traditional people are having it done naturally and confidently probably opens up more opportunities for faith based designs. All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have talked have seemingly had them done for evangelistic reasons, seeing as the fact of having any ink in the first place is so widespread anyway.