Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo art - Christian perspectives: Fight it? Ignore it? appreciate/embrace it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken Okay, I note your point...it's hard to deny that many Christian women as well as men seem to want to have it done. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done.

I'm sure tats are an icebreaker to start conversations with strangers.

I typically speak to strangers by God Blessing them. It reveals myself first. And much is revealed about them, by their reactions.

I know...that had a push to be avoided ...to be "politically correct"...like also saying
"Merry Christmas"... but then... Im NOT OF the world, to follow the Worlds Dictation. :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'm sure tats are an icebreaker to start conversations with strangers.
@Taken I'm sure you are right...and leaving aside aesthetics, from a pragmatic point of view one can understand how many Christians really believe them to work as conversation-starters...and I can well imagine this to have been possibly much of the reason why the young lady with whom my wife and I spoke was willing to be inked up in the first place.

Nurses these days as a demographic are heavily represented among the tattooed; and they will often use their ink as icebreakers, even if it's not in a specific Christian context: for a nurse, being tattooed can actually be regarded as someone willing to share among those who suffer as sense of shared, empathic humanity. Tattooed Christians would arguably say that Christian empathy for those to whom one is thus witnessing through Scripture / faith-based tattoos is comparable.

(I'm not expecting you actively to agree with this reasoning; but it's hard to discount it, right?)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken I'm sure you are right...and leaving aside aesthetics, from a pragmatic point of view one can understand how many Christians really believe them to work as conversation-starters...and I can well imagine this to have been possibly much of the reason why the young lady with whom my wife and I spoke was willing to be inked up in the first place.

Nurses these days as a demographic are heavily represented among the tattooed; and they will often use their ink as icebreakers, even if it's not in a specific Christian context: for a nurse, being tattooed can actually be regarded as someone willing to share among those who suffer as sense of shared, empathic humanity. Tattooed Christians would arguably say that Christian empathy for those to whom one is thus witnessing through Scripture / faith-based tattoos is comparable.

(I'm not expecting you actively to agree with this reasoning; but it's hard to discount it, right?)

Tatting is not my personal preference, nor is horn or spike implants, flesh cutting scar designs, ear lobe stretching, fang tooth filling, tongue splitting etc.
Personally looks like a lot of people took a drunk plunge to the tat shop, with weird, creepy, even ridiculous results. The funniest being misspelled words.
I'm sure some people are Diligent to research tat artists, placement, design...which impress me more personal to them than, a display for others.

Again to each his own. Doesn't affect me.

Bartholomew Jones

Nov 6, 2020
Uniontown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Bartholomew Jones A lot of Christian women seem to want to have it done now also; and one may be sure that many often deep-seated thoughts are bound up with their motivation and witness consciousness in doing so.

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. --1 Cor 10:23

Bartholomew: the choice to get a tattoo is always situated squarely with those things NOT BENEFICIAL.

Better put: As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion--Prov 11:22

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I hope they are getting faith based tattoos and not the other kind.
@Heart2Soul Because it's what so many do now, a lot of especially younger Christians seem to want to use the medium to express something faith based that will help in witness conversations with ppl.

It's so widespread, anyway, isn't it? It's what they do.

GodsGrace said:
almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl FYI....did you see/vote in the poll, above? (Not sure if I've asked you before...)
I have now. i saw my daughters ones for the first time on Sunday. They look quite pretty.

If I had one I think I'd go for something like this. The empty cross with the flower symbolising the beauty of new birth clinging to the cross.

OIP.IelDhIgy0m_pTa4SmA0nHgHaKJ

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'm sure some people are Diligent to research tat artists, placement, design...which impress me more personal to them than, a display for others.

Again to each his own. Doesn't affect me.
@Taken The young lady my wife and I spoke with who had the whole of John 3.16 in full tattooed on her wrist area must indeed have spent a lot of time considering the placement, choosing the text and sizing the wording with the help of a tattoo artist. While it would have been a personal reminder, certainly, I got the impression that she would have had others in view as to the effect and blessing of the words.

(Some of the other stuff you mentioned is indeed 'over the top', isn't it? and kind of different in nature from - for example - a Bible quote received by an earnest young Christian lady such as we spoke with.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have now. i saw my daughters ones for the first time on Sunday. They look quite pretty.

If I had one I think I'd go for something like this. The empty cross with the flower symbolising the beauty of new birth clinging to the cross.

OIP.IelDhIgy0m_pTa4SmA0nHgHaKJ
@Pearl Oh, so when you kindly sent the picture of your daughter's tattoo(s) some weeks back you yourself had seen them over the computer but not in 'real life' yet. Seems like they quite impressed you as being rather pretty when you actually saw them 'in the flesh', so to speak.

Seems anyway like acquisition which your daughter certainly wouldn't regret getting.

Yes, that design there that you have just pasted really does look like a nice tattoo design that would be particularly suitable for a Christian lady.

I suppose what a tattoo artist would likely charge would depend really on the size of the final design and the amount of colour, and so forth. While there's no harm in getting an informal quote or two, without commitment, there's also the preferred placement to think about, of course, isn't there? your daughter's choice of wrists seems sensible for a pair of tattoos, but everyone has an individual preference.

Thank-you!

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl Oh, so when you kindly sent the picture of your daughter's tattoo(s) some weeks back you yourself had seen them over the computer but not in 'real life' yet. Seems like they quite impressed you as being rather pretty when you actually saw them 'in the flesh', so to speak.

Seems anyway like acquisition which your daughter certainly wouldn't regret getting.

Yes, that design there that you have just pasted really does look like a nice tattoo design that would be particularly suitable for a Christian lady.

I suppose what a tattoo artist would likely charge would depend really on the size of the final design and the amount of colour, and so forth. While there's no harm in getting an informal quote or two, without commitment, there's also the preferred placement to think about, of course, isn't there? your daughter's choice of wrists seems sensible for a pair of tattoos, but everyone has an individual preference.

Thank-you!
How much would something similar cost over there, or one like my daughter's?

Reactions: farouk

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken The young lady my wife and I spoke with who had the whole of John 3.16 in full tattooed on her wrist area must indeed have spent a lot of time considering the placement, choosing the text and sizing the wording with the help of a tattoo artist. While it would have been a personal reminder, certainly, I got the impression that she would have had others in view as to the effect and blessing of the words.

(Some of the other stuff you mentioned is indeed 'over the top', isn't it? and kind of different in nature from - for example - a Bible quote received by an earnest young Christian lady such as we spoke with.)

I would suppose tats are for personal reminders, as well as Notice for onlookers, same as people wear jewerly, Particular cloths, drive certain vehicles or pick names.

Tats fall in a category for me...personally don't care for them, wouldn't ever consider getting one. As for jewerly, I like the look of some jewerly...but don't especially like to wear any jewelry. I opt for my own comfort.
Don't feel the need to be reminded of God, that I'm married, of a loved ones loss, etc.
I am not a marketers dream. lol Don't like clutter and don't feel the need to have what others want.

Taken

Reactions: Pearl

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
How much would something similar cost over there, or one like my daughter's?
@Pearl Well, a really tiny one might cost as little as $50, but really one might consider the variables that come into play: the time the artist spends preparing and doing it, the size and amount of ink, and so forth. The beauty of costing is that there is no commitment at all involved in going ahead and talking to a tattoo artist and getting an informal estimate. People will perhaps also get an informal quote; then, when they are ready with their budgeting at a time of their choosing go back and make the arrangement at a mutually suitable time. On the one hand it's a kind of small investment, really; on the other, if the idea of a Christian lady or man becoming tattooed with something faith based and tasteful is something that truly motivates, then in the long term it's not so much the monetary cost that will weigh as the commitment: in the end the person knows whether s/he would find it a joyfully undertaken commitment. And as regards cost, it's of course in the tattoo artist's interest not to make a quote that would likely drive away the client. I hope some of this makes sense? it's hard to be exact, really.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl Well, a really tiny one might cost as little as $50, but really one might consider the variables that come into play: the time the artist spends preparing and doing it, the size and amount of ink, and so forth. The beauty of costing is that there is no commitment at all involved in going ahead and talking to a tattoo artist and getting an informal estimate. People will perhaps also get an informal quote; then, when they are ready with their budgeting at a time of their choosing go back and make the arrangement at a mutually suitable time. On the one hand it's a kind of small investment, really; on the other, if the idea of a Christian lady or man becoming tattooed with something faith based and tasteful is something that truly motivates, then in the long term it's not so much the monetary cost that will weigh as the commitment: in the end the person knows whether s/he would find it a joyfully undertaken commitment. And as regards cost, it's of course in the tattoo artist's interest not to make a quote that would likely drive away the client. I hope some of this makes sense? it's hard to be exact, really.
There's a lot more to inking than meets the eye but I'll never have one.
Leviticus 19:28
“‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Pearl PS: I see I didn't exactly answer your question about one the size of your daughters; hard to say exactly; but an artist would be the best person to say.